Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Rank Thes Outcomes

I think his ceiling may be a combination of OG Anunoby and Bam. He's really really big. He's 6'9 230 as a 19 year old. I think he's going to struggle to defend those smaller guys in space at the pro level

For me, the ceiling comp is 'filled out Tayshaun Prince'

Can playmake a bit, score a bit, solid shooter but not great or high volume, can defend multiple positions. A little bigger (and the league plays smaller now) so hopefully he can guard 1-most of the 5's, and hopefully he rebounds a little better. But thats the best comp in my opinion if he hits.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    For me, the ceiling comp is 'filled out Tayshaun Prince'

Can playmake a bit, score a bit, solid shooter but not great or high volume, can defend multiple positions. A little bigger (and the league plays smaller now) so hopefully he can guard 1-most of the 5's, and hopefully he rebounds a little better. But thats the best comp in my opinion if he hits.
    Dieng I assume?

No, Sochan - a filled out Prince

No, Sochan - a filled out Prince
    Ohhh that's an interesting comp. I like it. Pretty similar to OG but with a little more feel and a little less athleticism

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    From all reports on him, Sochan has an incredibly high BBall IQ. It's one of his biggest strengths. Incredible intelligent player. And like draymond he can effectively guard 1-5. His defensive potential is off the charts.
    Based on what I've heard, I don't think Sochan is in consideration at 8, so maybe that skews my judgement.

We are bringing in Sharpe and Sochan to workout next week. Interesting that Sharpe is working out with us since his camp is very selective.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Now MyBookie had Keegan Murray as the favorite to be the 8th pick. Odds for 8th pick are currently:

Murray +110
    Sharpe +190
    Ivey +300
    Daniels +1100
    Griffin +2900
    Mathurin +2900
    Davis +3900
    Sochan +10000

Still makes no sense to me. I think of the guys listed, the three "most likely" to be the pick based on these odds are the three that probably won't be there. Mathurin is the most likely, followed by Daniels, then some order of Davis, Griffin and Sochan. I almost feel like this is free money.
    Yeah, these odds on the 8th pick have been wonky for a while now. I get Sochan not being a fav, but +10000 seems so crazy. I've bet under $100 total so far & feel like I've got most of the possibilities covered, with a good chance to win anywhere from $250 to $1500. How on earth is Malaki Branham +10000 but Jabari Smith is +8000? Jabari going 8th is as close to an impossibility as you're going to find at this point.
    Last edited by Eyquem; 06-09-2022 at 05:33 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    We are bringing in Sharpe and Sochan to workout next week. Interesting that Sharpe is working out with us since his camp is very selective.
    We’re in his best interests. Bad enough that were in the lottery but good enough that he won’t be losing games and there will likely be a starting slot for when he ascends in by year 3 or so. Either off the team in some huge trade or we keep him and he goes full Zach Lavine.

You don’t know the half of it

Big week next week

Big week next week
    MM you know better to pull this with me out of all people fam lol.

Have promised silence. Just be happy. Big week. Options are open

The Franchise
    End of the week and what can you give? Please need info, possible trade?

MM you know better to pull this with me out of all people fam lol.
    It's obvious isn't it?

He has been promised by x amount of teams that he and his team view as best fit.
    NOLA is just one of them.

It will come down to who is the best fit for SS and who will take him the highest so he can make the most rookie salary.

The Franchise
    I agree and it’s nice we in the conversation. I guess now the question is do we actually want him?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Big week next week
    It's the last week before the draft. Pretty safe to assume we're going to be bringing in more players in addition to Sharpe and Sochan.

The trade with the Grizzlies also started to come together the week before the draft last year. So if Griff is working on something, chances are he'll look to make significant progress on any trades next week.

Personally, I hope we're doing whatever it takes to draft Sharpe. He'd be the player I'm most excited about because he's a potential homerun and if we have confidence in our culture, he could reach his ceiling here.

I know MM thinks Griff is reluctant to take on anyone with "a camp" again, but I actually think it's the opposite. Griff has dealt with LeBron's camp and now Zion's camp, so he's got an earned confidence and skillset dealing with these challenges. There's no way in hell the handlers for an 8th pick without a signature shoe are going to intimidate Griff or get him to back away from taking the best talent on the board. Only way Griff doesn't draft a kid is if the kid himself is a jerk. From all reports, that's not the case with Sharpe.

Is there a President/GM in the league that is more equipped from an infrastructure standpoint and experience standpoint to deal with "a camp"?

That's what I'm saying. Like if Sharpe was being very selective and we were the one team his camp was really pushing for, would Griff view that as a negative because his camp is dictating things already or view it as a positive because they wanted our franchise above all others in the top 10? I'm very curious to know exactly what his camp has said and pushed for. If we knew that, we'd have alot more understanding of how problematic it could potentially be.

Have promised silence. Just be happy. Big week. Options are open
    Bruh. You can NOT do us like that.

Based on what I have heard, Sochan would probably be one of our options in a trade back scenario. No real word on anything else.

Interesting theory tho kind of brought up by NM3… I think Griff is suuuuper cocky. If he gets this extension done his way with Zion, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him desperate for a new challenge in Sharpe. I think the trade in 2019 for Jax and NAW was attempt swinging his meat that didn’t work out. He got punked in 2020 and kind of settled for Kira. Could be something to watch

I also know they’ve done a ton of work on the back end of the first and top end of the 2nd round talents. Wouldn’t be surprised to see this team make 2 first round picks

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    End of the week and what can you give? Please need info, possible trade?
    Possibly the Zion extension getting done

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Possibly the Zion extension getting done
    Doesn't he have to wait to sign it on July 1?

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Based on what I have heard, Sochan would probably be one of our options in a trade back scenario. No real word on anything else.

Interesting theory tho kind of brought up by NM3… I think Griff is suuuuper cocky. If he gets this extension done his way with Zion, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him desperate for a new challenge in Sharpe. I think the trade in 2019 for Jax and NAW was attempt swinging his meat that didn’t work out. He got punked in 2020 and kind of settled for Kira. Could be something to watch

I also know they’ve done a ton of work on the back end of the first and top end of the 2nd round talents. Wouldn’t be surprised to see this team make 2 first round picks
    Love to see Koloko late 1st early second especially is we move on from Jax. He seems to fit the Jack mold but more defense. Besson is the other guy that looks good to me

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Doesn't he have to wait to sign it on July 1?
    Well just an early confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I think his ceiling may be a combination of OG Anunoby and Bam. He's really really big. He's 6'9 230 as a 19 year old. I think he's going to struggle to defend those smaller guys in space at the pro level
    I mean obviously like all big wings he's not going to be able to consistently keep smaller guards in front of him. What makes him valuable though, is at 19 he's already a very good team defender. We're talking about a guy who just turned 19, and who comes off the bench directing the other players on his team where to be on defense. He switches really well, seems to understand angles, and is very light on his feet. He definitely meets one of our needs which is guarding perimeter shooters.

I've heard a lot of ravings about Daniels' defense and IQ, which both seem to be fine. But Sochan is the only one who's basketball IQ really pops off the screen for me. The biggest problem with drafting him, is can you afford to bring in another guy who is a bad three point shooter? If you do you have to make the call if you think you can coach his shot up.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    It's obvious isn't it?

He has been promised by x amount of teams that he and his team view as best fit.
    NOLA is just one of them.

It will come down to who is the best fit for SS and who will take him the highest so he can make the most rookie salary.
    This sounds about right. Pels made Sharpe's short-list of lotto teams he's directing himself to. Now, Griff-Langdon and staff get to meet Sharpe and his reps in person, run him through workouts. Maybe if Griff is impressed enough that he's not a 'me-first / bad-character / hiding / ego' young man the draft buzz is calling him - then, Griff has the reassurance to go get Sharpe's top talent, whether that's at #8 or a trade up to #4/5 to get him.

Thread Information