Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Centric 2022 Top-10 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    I doubt it. That's pretty good size for a shooting guard and his competition measured about the same. He might go later, but measuring 6'6" in shoes is pretty ideal size at the two so doubt that would be a major reason. He looks about that tall on film, too, so don't think it's a surprising measurement. He's doesn't have +++ length but +3 is fine. Herb and Trey are 3s/4s so should measure larger.
    He's a shooting guard with close to no handles. So, I think his stock drops a bit being undersized to be a wing. Which he always was going to have his stock drop. It's been trendy too high for a minute.

He got to develop those handles.
    Last edited by Taker597; 05-19-2022 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redboy0125 View Post
    I've heard this name mentioned as a sleeper in the 2nd but it doesn't look like he'll make it that far. He must have a draft promise in the 20s.

LaRavia also performed very well in the agility & speed tests, finishing second in the shuttle run, and third in lane agility. Impressive for a 6'8" Forward.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/comb...ength-agility/

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Who has the highest floor of the guys in our range, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Who has the highest floor of the guys in our range, I wonder?
    To me, it is Daniels. No doubt. At very worst he is NAW on offense with AMAZING multi positional defense. Now, the NAW on offense part is gross, but I believe he will be much better than that. But he is so big, so long, and does so many things at an NBA level, that he will contribute on the court somewhere no matter what. I would say next is Sochan, and then Mathurin.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    To me, it is Daniels. No doubt. At very worst he is NAW on offense with AMAZING multi positional defense. Now, the NAW on offense part is gross, but I believe he will be much better than that. But he is so big, so long, and does so many things at an NBA level, that he will contribute on the court somewhere no matter what. I would say next is Sochan, and then Mathurin.
    I don't get the Dieng thing over Daniels. I understand that Dieng is a couple inches taller and longer and so could grow into more a legitimate big wing, but he would take years of development to get to where Daniels is right now. One guy has tools to be a multi-position defender if everything goes right, the other guy is a plus defender guarding 1-3 from day one. One guy has showed some passing chops getting to run a few P&Rs but had a negative assist-to-turnover ratio, the other guy ran an offense competently against professionals and showed that he makes passing reads consistently with a positive assist-to-turnover ratio. Both guys need to work on their shot. They are similar athletes overall, though Dieng has much longer strides which does offer a physical advantage. Daniels has a nice in-between game and post game on smaller guards, whereas Dieng has a floater but how does he get to it? Daniels is a great rebounder for large guard/small wing, whereas Dieng is a pretty anemic rebounder for his height.

Based on everything I've heard, Daniels is about the right things and is said to be a leader. Dieng seems like a nice kid, but quiet and introverted. I wouldn't factor this in if I had to pick between these guys with only secondhand information, but I think it matters if those perceptions are close to reality.

If Daniels was 21 or 22, I'd get it. They will both be 19 at the time of the draft and there is only a few months difference between them.

Daniels has two significant flaws, a lack of advantage creation and a meh jump shot. If he figures out one of these two, he's an awesome player. Dieng has to get so much better at nearly everything to be able to get on a court. I think the upside is a smidge higher because of size, but Dieng isn't a freak athlete. He's an NBA caliber athlete for height, but he isn't Jaxson Hayes doing eastbay dunks in game. I just don't see his upside being all that ridiculous.
    Last edited by Biasvasospasm; 05-19-2022 at 10:22 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I agree. Daniels is much more appealing for me. I don't want Dieng at #8. If for some reason we traded down maybe.

Im leaning towards Daniels as well, love his versatility to play and defend the 1-3 spot.. he has that swiss army knife do it all type of player...shooting needs improvement but he actually has a nice form on his shots which i think he can improve the results eventually.

Wouldn't surprise me if Eason's stock rises with workouts on top of his pretty good measurements.

I just dont see how Daniels creates offense in the NBA. Team defense in the gleague leaves a lot to be desired and I think he got some pretty generous assists. His floater game is nice but he's very reliant on it because of how small he plays around the rim and how much he has to spin to get there.

I think Daniels is a better prospect than Dalen Terry who has pretty much the exact same measurables and skill set, but not 20-30 spots better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I just dont see how Daniels creates offense in the NBA. Team defense in the gleague leaves a lot to be desired and I think he got some pretty generous assists. His floater game is nice but he's very reliant on it because of how small he plays around the rim and how much he has to spin to get there.
    I think he starts out attacking closeouts or second side P&R. I think there's enough pace and craft to him to get by weaker defenders. I don't see him as a 20 point scorer at the NBA level, but I think he's a smart player who will figure it out and contribute across the board. Not because they're both Australian, but in terms of recent lottery picks he's a lot like Josh Giddey. Think he is a bit more athletic and a bit smaller. Not the same passer but should be significantly better defensively. Scoring package and pre-NBA productivity is similar.

I disagree about playing small; I think he finishes through contact pretty well for a skinny player. I don't think he plays afraid of contact.

I don't think based on prior GLI players, there is significant evidence of inflated numbers. Albeit a small sample. Jalen Green was more productive as a rookie in the NBA than on GLI and on a per minute basis, so was Kuminga. The defense in the Gleague is worse but so is the spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyquem View Post
    LaRavia also performed very well in the agility & speed tests, finishing second in the shuttle run, and third in lane agility. Impressive for a 6'8" Forward.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/comb...ength-agility/
    I like LaRavia alot for our 2nd round pick. I also really like Nikola Jovic. I don't know if he'll fall to the second round, most mocks have him going late first. I think the FO will trade both seconds to move up to end of the first or beginning of second to get a guy they really like. LaRavia and Jovic are my two favorite targets for that possibility.

Of all pro sports mocks, NBA mocks tend to be the least accurate. Especially this year.

Wouldn't shock me if someone like Marjon Beauchamp goes top 10.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I'm all in on guys like Jeremy Sochan and Dyson Daniels, Dieng as well. Becoming less enamored with guys like Mathurin/Griffin.

"In addition to Sacramento at No. 4, league personnel have pegged the Portland Trail Blazers and New Orleans Pelicans—picking seventh and eighth, respectively—as strong trade candidates.

Both the Blazers, starring Damian Lillard, and Pelicans, fresh off a playoff appearance, have designs on competing for the postseason. And akin to the Kings, there’s a likelihood that both Portland’s and New Orleans’ front offices could move those selections for an established veteran or to trade down while adding another rotation piece along the way."

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    "In addition to Sacramento at No. 4, league personnel have pegged the Portland Trail Blazers and New Orleans Pelicans—picking seventh and eighth, respectively—as strong trade candidates.

Both the Blazers, starring Damian Lillard, and Pelicans, fresh off a playoff appearance, have designs on competing for the postseason. And akin to the Kings, there’s a likelihood that both Portland’s and New Orleans’ front offices could move those selections for an established veteran or to trade down while adding another rotation piece along the way."
    Yuck. We will need inexpensive talent to complement Zion, CJ, and BI. This would be so short-sighted. I have zero interest in finding the next Steven Adams or Devonte Graham. This front office needs to figure out what they actually do well. Several of their bad decisions have involved moving draft capital for veterans. Pels need to break this cycle of trading a pick for a veteran, the veteran not being good, then trading another pick to upgrade the veteran the next year. It is a ridiculous way to conduct business. Just draft a guy you like. If you're wrong, oh well, at least you don't need to trade a pick to get off that draft pick.
    Last edited by Biasvasospasm; 05-20-2022 at 12:13 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Yuck. We will need inexpensive talent to complement Zion, CJ, and BI. This would be so short-sighted. I have zero interest in finding the next Steven Adams or Devonte Graham. This front office needs to figure out what they actually do well. Several of their bad decisions have involved moving draft capital for veterans. Pels need to break this cycle of trading a pick for a veteran, the veteran not being good, then trading another pick to upgrade the veteran the next year. It is a ridiculous way to conduct business. Just draft a guy you like. If you're wrong, oh well, at least you don't need to trade a pick to get off that draft pick.
    I think/hope the suggestion is that they would potentially be upgrading from someone on the roster (Graham?) - while moving down in the draft. So they'd still be picking up young player on a cost controlled contract. It's not my preference, but I get why they'd do it. And it all depends on who the vet is, what his contract is, and who they pick by sliding down vs who they could have stayed at 8 and picked.

Would I be upset if the Pelicans dropped to 11, swapped Graham for Reddish, and drafted Sochan or Dieng? Absolutely not. I think it would also open up their ability to use their full MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I think/hope the suggestion is that they would potentially be upgrading from someone on the roster (Graham?) - while moving down in the draft. So they'd still be picking up young player on a cost controlled contract. It's not my preference, but I get why they'd do it. And it all depends on who the vet is, what his contract is, and who they pick by sliding down vs who they could have stayed at 8 and picked.
    Would I be upset if the Pelicans dropped to 11, swapped Graham for Reddish, and drafted Sochan or Dieng? Absolutely not. I think it would also open up their ability to use their full MLE.
    I get that. I think the marginal upgrade in your 8th man isn't worth the decrease in expected value in the draft, especially when all available evidence suggests that you are bad as a front office in identifying MLE-level veterans who will help you.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I get that. I think the marginal upgrade in your 8th man isn't worth the decrease in expected value in the draft, especially when all available evidence suggests that you are bad as a front office in identifying MLE-level veterans who will help you.
    Turning Graham into a much better wing defender who can also hit an open 3 is more than a marginal upgrade to the 8th man. But that's why I qualified it with it all depends on who they pick and the confidence based on last year's offseason that they can become one of those franchises that consistently exceeds the expected value of their draft pick.

If neither Ousman Dieng or Dyson Daniels are a available at #8, trade down.

Devonte' Graham

NYK

Cam Reddish

Devonte' Graham
    Garrett Temple
    Willy Hernangomez

MIN

Malik Beasley
    Naz Reid
    2023 1st

Devonte' Graham

OKC

Luguentz Dort
    Last edited by JR SMITH; 05-20-2022 at 03:50 PM.

I wouldnt mindntrading back if our targets arent there at 8.
    Blake wesley at 12.or 13 would be better than an a.j. griffith at 8. Is he ready to contribute ..no, but quite a talent for late.lottery

shadean sharpe
    Dyson daniels
    Blake wesley
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 05-21-2022 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post

I see Portland trying to trade that pick for a star.

If they end up drafting a player. They might as well just start fielding trades for Lillard and go full rebuild.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What's up with Ochai Agbaji? Could he be someone who falls to the 2nd?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I see Portland trying to trade that pick for a star.

If they end up drafting a player. They might as well just start fielding trades for Lillard and go full rebuild.
    Yet they traded covington and powell for cheap and traded cj and nance as well... cj i could see the reason why they traded him but those other 3 are pretty good role players to have if they wanted to still compete. Really weird situation they have over there.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Of all pro sports mocks, NBA mocks tend to be the least accurate. Especially this year.

Wouldn't shock me if someone like Marjon Beauchamp goes top 10.
    Because they always draft for fit, rather than BPA

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Have you heard any whispers from the front office following his Combine performance? I would hope he's risen on their list.

Thread Information