Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Centric 2022 Top-10 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Personally, I don't like Chet. Kid has skills but he'll get bullied and his body will break down. Won't be shocked if he slips in the draft outside the top 5.
    Somebody's getting a steal, then *shrug*
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Somebody's getting a steal, then *shrug*
    I do agree with you here, dae. He's a more efficient Dirk offensively with the ability to facilitate and has better handles. Defensively, he dwarfs Nowitzki. And, remember, the German is a member of the 75th Anniversary Team.

Despite being skinny Chet doesn't shy away from contact.. and there's only really a few bigs left that play back to the basket. Whit how the game is being played today, having a big like him who can possibly be able to switch to smaller guys and protect the rim is very valuable.. and to top that off he has range and can pass.

I have no idea what Chet's future health will look like, but I think people tend to overstate the assumption that he'll be frequently injured because he's skinny. Tayshaun Prince was skinny and was an absolute iron man in terms of reliability. Durant played a vast majority of his team's games his first seven years, and even Shawn Bradley had seven seasons where he played over 70 games. Aleksej Pokusevski-- probably his closest comp in terms of body type-- just finished his 2nd NBA/G League season with generally good health. I think Holmgren will need a strong front court guy next to him in the NBA, just like he had in Timme in college. Ime Udoka has said the best adjustment he made this year was taking Robert Williams off of the main big defensive assignment and making him a weak side help defender... and there's a good chance Chet could excel in that same role.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Personally, I don't like Chet. Kid has skills but he'll get bullied and his body will break down. Won't be shocked if he slips in the draft outside the top 5.
    Sorry, but that's just laughable. He's absolutely going top 2 and he played against guys much bigger/stronger/heavier than himself in college and never really "got bullied". Like others have said, he is very strong and he battled and held his own consistently against big guys. He will get stronger and fill out, but I imagine he will always have a slight build. Don't expect it will matter, dude has too much skill. He is an excellent prospect and the perfect 5 prospect to play along Zion. Having Jonas locked up a few more years gives us time to groom him, without having to throw him to the wolves. I have no doubt that Chet will be an all-star in the league. None.

Choosing between he and Jabari would be a tough choice.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Despite being skinny Chet doesn't shy away from contact.. and there's only really a few bigs left that play back to the basket. Whit how the game is being played today, having a big like him who can possibly be able to switch to smaller guys and protect the rim is very valuable.. and to top that off he has range and can pass.
    This is true, and as mentioned before, it's not like he didn't play against big bodies guys in college.

Hell, college might have a higher proportion of big, back to the basket, slow-footed 250lb-ers than the NBA at this point, and they gave Chet no problems. Now of course, in the NBA those guys tend to be even more skilled, but then it's the skill that causes the problems not the size; Joel Embiid doesn't smoke everyone because he's 270lbs. Andre Drummond is 270lbs as well, and he cannot do what Embiid does; the X factor is the skill.

If Duren, who is listed at 250lbs and looks every bit of it, couldn't ruin Chet's day physically and bully him, I have no idea why people think Javale McGee or Ante Zizic will be doing so in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyquem View Post
    I have no idea what Chet's future health will look like, but I think people tend to overstate the assumption that he'll be frequently injured because he's skinny. Tayshaun Prince was skinny and was an absolute iron man in terms of reliability. Durant played a vast majority of his team's games his first seven years, and even Shawn Bradley had seven seasons where he played over 70 games. Aleksej Pokusevski-- probably his closest comp in terms of body type-- just finished his 2nd NBA/G League season with generally good health. I think Holmgren will need a strong front court guy next to him in the NBA, just like he had in Timme in college. Ime Udoka has said the best adjustment he made this year was taking Robert Williams off of the main big defensive assignment and making him a weak side help defender... and there's a good chance Chet could excel in that same role.
    As I mentioned before, we have a large sample size at this point of guys coming into the league underweight and going on to nonetheless be generally healthy and generally productive.

You've mentioned some here, but I would add Giannis - who entered the league in toothpick form and remained very thin for his first 3 seasons - as well as, oh yeah, Brandon Ingram. Who entered this league incredibly thin, with high hips and long legs, big feet and narrow shoulders. You could not design a more awkward ''oh no, will his body hold up'' guy than Ingram, really, and yet he's become an all-star level player and while he's had a few health issues that cause him to miss 20-25 games a year, he is generally healthy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyquem View Post
    Well put.

Injury concerns have less to do with his weight for me and more, if I recall correctly, that his dad had injury issues. Probably just that and minor concerns about his age and level of competition at Gonzaga. But neither really scare me enough to not draft him.

This is not a player who should be drafted top 10, but in terms of Pelican-specific prospects, would love if the Pelicans could figure out a way to come away with EJ Liddell. I believe he's a playoff rotation big man from day one. I think he plays the 4 and plays the 5 in small ball situations. Look at what Grant Williams is doing for Boston, watch this guy and tell me this guy can't play that role. I like his rim protection even better than Williams and think he is much further along as a shooter compared to where Williams was coming in. Very nice perimeter defender, excellent rim protector for size, rebounds, can shoot the 3 above the break and would be great in handoff situations. Can also draw fouls and take advantage of mismatches if they try to hide a small or weak defender on him. This is the type of guy who goes in the teens or twenties but can play high leverage situations at the end of games and in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    This is not a player who should be drafted top 10, but in terms of Pelican-specific prospects, would love if the Pelicans could figure out a way to come away with EJ Liddell. I believe he's a playoff rotation big man from day one. I think he plays the 4 and plays the 5 in small ball situations. Look at what Grant Williams is doing for Boston, watch this guy and tell me this guy can't play that role. I like his rim protection even better than Williams and think he is much further along as a shooter compared to where Williams was coming in. Very nice perimeter defender, excellent rim protector for size, rebounds, can shoot the 3 above the break and would be great in handoff situations. Can also draw fouls and take advantage of mismatches if they try to hide a small or weak defender on him. This is the type of guy who goes in the teens or twenties but can play high leverage situations at the end of games and in the playoffs.
    Yeah like the 15th pick they gave to Charlotte for Graham.
    Que......AusPel...

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Yeah like the 15th pick they gave to Charlotte for Graham.
    Que......AusPel...
    Yep. Pels have made awful decisions trading draft picks. The CJ trade was okay, and the Valuncuinas trade ended up okay, but the Graham and Steven Adams trades were both ridiculous from the outset. Not to relitigate this, it is done, but how do we give up a pick for Devonte Graham when we got negative value in return for Lonzo Ball, who is a significantly better and younger player?

Yep. Pels have made awful decisions trading draft picks. The CJ trade was okay, and the Valuncuinas trade ended up okay, but the Graham and Steven Adams trades were both ridiculous from the outset. Not to relitigate this, it is done, but how do we give up a pick for Devonte Graham when we got negative value in return for Lonzo Ball, who is a significantly better and younger player?
    Well then just to remind you why......

Lonzo did not want to be here!
    He signed with the Bulls before free agency for 4 years $85 million
    The Pels got Satoransk?, who was used as filler in the CJ trade, and another $5 million in Temple to use in another trade.

CP said no thanks, Lowry said I do not think so, which led the Pels to Devante.
    A former 18 ppg scorer, who can hit the 3, who signed for only 4 years $47.5 million. Instant $37.5 million in savings by moving on from Lonzo.
    The Hornets might have matched at that price, so you throw them a one not to.
    Oh look at that Cj makes $30.

Plus, NO ONE, I can not emphasize this enough, NO ONE, thought an undrafted free agent named Jose Alverado was going to play so good that Devante would become an afterthought.
    But, Jose did, and now the Pels have a an $11.8 million trade piece.

Devante $11.8 + Temple $5 + Jax $5.5 + Kira $4.2 = $26.5 to play with if they so choose.

I can't see a downside to any of this, plus they got the Lakers pick.

Now, can we put the whole Devante is garbage thing to bed,
    Hell I appreciate the man, he chose to come here, when so many others just laughed in the Pels faces!
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

To directly answer your question, leverage. Chicago could've signed Lonzo outright so we got something instead of nothing. We paid a sweetener so that Charlotte didn't match an offer for Graham and played ball by looping him into our Memphis trade.

Related to your question...if we didn't make the trade with Charlotte, the pick would have gone to Portland for CJ so we wouldn't be making it anyway. The true marginal cost of Graham is really the '25 Milwaukee pick.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Well then just to remind you why......

Lonzo did not want to be here!
    He signed with the Bulls before free agency for 4 years $85 million
    The Pels got Satoransk?, who was used as filler in the CJ trade, and another $5 million in Temple to use in another trade.

CP said no thanks, Lowry said I do not think so, which led the Pels to Devante.
    A former 18 ppg scorer, who can hit the 3, who signed for only 4 years $47.5 million. Instant $37.5 million in savings by moving on from Lonzo.
    The Hornets might have matched at that price, so you throw them a one not to.
    Oh look at that Cj makes $30.

Plus, NO ONE, I can not emphasize this enough, NO ONE, thought an undrafted free agent named Jose Alverado was going to play so good that Devante would become an afterthought.
    But, Jose did, and now the Pels have a an $11.8 million trade piece.

Devante $11.8 + Temple $5 + Jax $5.5 + Kira $4.2 = $26.5 to play with if they so choose.

I can't see a downside to any of this, plus they got the Lakers pick.

Now, can we put the whole Devante is garbage thing to bed,
    Hell I appreciate the man, he chose to come here, when so many others just laughed in the Pels faces!
    Jose had nothing to do with Graham being an afterthought. It was solely due to him being gutter trash on the court. He's basically a poor man's Landry Shamet

Impressive spin on the whole situation, though
    Last edited by AusPel; 05-04-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post

Why would you give up on KL13 after one season with SVG and only 24 games this season (78 total games)? People come back from ACL's all the time.

If we did absolutely nothing this off-season except use the Laker pick, we will be adding three lottery picks next year (Zion, KL13, whoever the Laker Pick produces). I'll bet a dollar to a donut hole that no other team in the NBA will be adding three lottery picks to their 2022, EOY Roster.

I never said should trade Kira, just stating his salary could be used if they are happy with the other point guards.

the deciding factor between the tied ones come down to attaining more info on em really

1 A Jabari Smith
    1B Jaden Ivey

2 Chet Holmgren

3 Paolo Banchero

4A Benedict Mathurin
    4B Shaedon Sharpe

Adrian Griffin
    johnny Davis
    Keegan Murray
    Ochai Agbaja

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    MM apparently has a thing for Dyson Daniels.... with me, its Shaedon Sharpe....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    MM apparently has a thing for Dyson Daniels.... with me, its Shaedon Sharpe....
    It's likely not possible we he falls to us
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    you are likely right, but you just have to have balls....

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    the deciding factor between the tied ones come down to attaining more info on em really

1 A Jabari Smith
    1B Jaden Ivey

2 Chet Holmgren

3 Paolo Banchero

4A Benedict Mathurin
    4B Shaedon Sharpe

Adrian Griffin
    johnny Davis
    Keegan Murray
    Ochai Agbaja
    Absolutely do not understand the love affair going on with Keegan Murray in the mainstream media's drafts

Absolutely do not understand the love affair going on with Keegan Murray in the mainstream media's drafts
    Yeah, really hoping someone jumps on him before our pick.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yeah, really hoping someone jumps on him before our pick.
    He's 22, has fine but not massively impressive college defense, and he struggles hard to create offensive advantages at a college level. Not a particularly impressive passer, doesn't get to the FT line, and there's reason to suspect that his 3pt% is a bit of an outlier as well.

I'd get it if people were mocking him 15-25, but top 10? Makes no sense.

He's 22, has fine but not massively impressive college defense, and he struggles hard to create offensive advantages at a college level. Not a particularly impressive passer, doesn't get to the FT line, and there's reason to suspect that his 3pt% is a bit of an outlier as well.

I'd get it if people were mocking him 15-25, but top 10? Makes no sense.
    What's the reason?

I agree he's not the most exciting prospect, in terms of age and athleticism potential. But he was really efficient, good size and all-around skillset. Kind of like a super-sized forward version of Duarte from last year.

I couldn't disagree more. I love his game. He would be 6th on my big board behind Chet, Jabari, Paolo, Ivey and Sharpe. Murray would be just above Mathurin for me.

Thread Information