Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I wasnt clear.

The player would have to forgo guaranteed contracts to sign a two way deal, for some reason. Which simply wont happen in Didi's case because he has leverage of teams wanting to sign him to guaranteed deals.

Look at the number of 2nd round picks, mind you high 2nds, who have ever signed a two way contract with the team who drafted them
    Do you think they bring him over next year or is there a chance they leave him overseas for another year?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Ok yea, that makes sense. Was wondering why we were even bringing up 2 ways for DiDi since we can just assign him to the G League anyway on his current contract.
    We certainly could assign him to G League. Only issue is the silly NBA rule that a team must use one of its NBA roster spots to do so. I was just trying to think of whether there was another way to get him to G League without using a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Do you think they bring him over next year or is there a chance they leave him overseas for another year?
    I think that if it were 100% up to the Pels, they'd have him stay one more year and bring him over in 2021-22. But its a delicate game. Didi could sign a multi-year deal and stay over longer than the Pels would like and then when he comes to the NBA, he isnt under the same rookie contract rules he would be now. Pels would have to use actual cap room or part of an exception to sign him. It could get messy. I think they'd rather bring him over now than to risk that, but in their ideal world, he stays one more year and then signs his rookie contract in 2021-22 and starts here then
    @mcnamara247

I think that if it were 100% up to the Pels, they'd have him stay one more year and bring him over in 2021-22. But its a delicate game. Didi could sign a multi-year deal and stay over longer than the Pels would like and then when he comes to the NBA, he isnt under the same rookie contract rules he would be now. Pels would have to use actual cap room or part of an exception to sign him. It could get messy. I think they'd rather bring him over now than to risk that, but in their ideal world, he stays one more year and then signs his rookie contract in 2021-22 and starts here then
    He has an Australian GF, so he may be willing to stay a little longer in the NBL.

Lol he'd just bring her with him

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Lol he'd just bring her with him
    Depends if she wants Covid or not

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Depends if she wants Covid or not
    Or Trump as President..

The more I think about this year's draft, the more I like the idea of RJ Hampton. We have so many picks in the upcoming years, I'd love to go after the guard with monster offensive upside right now and let him play the majority of the season in the G-League.

I know its not fair to put to much on Vinson's shoulders, but if he could unlock RJ's jumper, this kid would be a perfect fit between BI and Lonzo. The key with Hampton is you don't want to rush him, but with the amount of guards we already have on roster, that wouldn't appear to be an issue.

Other than RJ, I like the idea of Cole Anthony or Aaron Nesmith. Again, go get the guys with offensive upside because they are the hardest to find down the line.

Additionally, I see Trajan Langdon as being elite at finding lesser known talent, obviously specializing overseas. I don't think he will have a problem finding role players whether its late in the draft or through free agency, so I don't think we should draft them early. Go for upside and keep taking bites at the apple hoping to find another star.
    Last edited by pelafanatic; 06-04-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    The more I think about this year's draft, the more I like the idea of RJ Hampton. We have so many picks in the upcoming years, I'd love to go after the guard with monster offensive upside right now and let him play the majority of the season in the G-League.

I know its not fair to put to much on Vinson's shoulders, but if he could unlock RJ's jumper, this kid would be a perfect fit between BI and Lonzo. The key with Hampton is you don't want to rush him, but with the amount of guards we already have on roster, that wouldn't appear to be an issue.

Other than RJ, I like the idea of Cole Anthony or Aaron Nesmith. Again, go get the guys with offensive upside because they are the hardest to find down the line.

Additionally, I see Trajan Langdon as being elite at finding lesser known talent, obviously specializing overseas. I don't think he will have a problem finding role players whether its late in the draft or through free agency, so I don't think we should draft them early. Go for upside and keep taking bites at the apple hoping to find another star.
    I haven't followed Hampton much after he left for Australia, so what about him makes you think he has so much upside? I'm not a huge fan of his, but again, I don't know much at all.

I haven't followed Hampton much after he left for Australia, so what about him makes you think he has so much upside? I'm not a huge fan of his, but again, I don't know much at all.
    Yeah, would also be curious to know this. He does have some upside, of course, but nothing about him screams potential superstar, which is what l associate with the term ''monster offensive upside''.
    Basketball.

lemme give yal my endorsements real quick. after a couple of weeks of analyzing stats and watching highlights ive come to the conclusion that

josh green - is better than+
    cole anthony
    rj hampton
    tyrese maxey
    saddiq bey
    and probably devin vessel albeit close

its not the production nor the stats that sway it.... watch the highlights... green is sooo much more fluid than these other guys. he's technically sound and an elite athlete which is a wicked combo.

he's like a cross of victor oladipo and bradley beal / plus he's far supior running the court and finishing than these other guys and that bodes well for us

basically... my basketball IQ says he's going to be damn good with little to no bust potential

if we dont get him id like kira lewis cause speed carries over well PLUS he can be our antedote for ja morant

green
    12 pts
    4.6 reb
    2.6 asst
    1.5 steals
    36% on threes

beal
    14.8 pts
    6.7 reb
    2.2 asst
    1.4 stls
    33. % 3pt %

oladipo
    .338 3pt %

I am a fan of grabbing Hampton as a guy we eventually include in a package for a more established player and it is because of his perceived upside.

Let me start by saying my draft philosophy is that the only way you come out of a pick at 12 or 13 with real value is if you draft a stud (unlikely) or you draft a guy who gets flipped for good value during his rookie contract (slightly more likely). And when teams scour your roster for young talent during a trade, they arent looking for a guy with 'solid role player' potential. They want a guy they can sell to their fan base as a guy who could become a main piece on the roster. So, I love the idea of grabbing a guy with great athleticism and who doesnt have a ton of film. Then, we showcase him a bit in preseason. Put him in the right situation in regular season games. His per 36 numbers and efficiency look good. We leak out that he is untouchable like Blazers did with Simmons this summer, etc.

Those guys can be main pieces of a Booker or Beal or whoever trade down the line. Draft Saddiq Bey, and yeah he might be a Josh Hart level player in a few years, but history says that will likely be for his 2nd or 3rd team, and he is more of a throw in for a big trade than one of the centerpieces. So, that is why I'd consider Hampton. History says that whoever we draft is unlikely to be here for long....so take the guy you think could have the most trade value in his rookie contract.

I am a fan of grabbing Hampton as a guy we eventually include in a package for a more established player and it is because of his perceived upside.

Let me start by saying my draft philosophy is that the only way you come out of a pick at 12 or 13 with real value is if you draft a stud (unlikely) or you draft a guy who gets flipped for good value during his rookie contract (slightly more likely). And when teams scour your roster for young talent during a trade, they arent looking for a guy with 'solid role player' potential. They want a guy they can sell to their fan base as a guy who could become a main piece on the roster. So, I love the idea of grabbing a guy with great athleticism and who doesnt have a ton of film. Then, we showcase him a bit in preseason. Put him in the right situation in regular season games. His per 36 numbers and efficiency look good. We leak out that he is untouchable like Blazers did with Simmons this summer, etc.

Those guys can be main pieces of a Booker or Beal or whoever trade down the line. Draft Saddiq Bey, and yeah he might be a Josh Hart level player in a few years, but history says that will likely be for his 2nd or 3rd team, and he is more of a throw in for a big trade than one of the centerpieces. So, that is why I'd consider Hampton. History says that whoever we draft is unlikely to be here for long....so take the guy you think could have the most trade value in his rookie contract.
    What other players would you put in that category at 12 or 13? Someone like Lewis maybe?

I know you were working on an article about this a while back. Did it ever come out?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah, would also be curious to know this. He does have some upside, of course, but nothing about him screams potential superstar, which is what l associate with the term ''monster offensive upside''.
    Like everyone at this point, all I have is what I hear on podcasts and read from guys like KOC, Chad Ford, Sam Vecenie, etc. Based on what most amateur scouts have been saying, Hampton has the elite athleticism to pair with a solid bball IQ and a real ability to get to the basket. He also has decent fundamentals on his jumper which makes you think there's something there.

But my main point was similar to what Mac was saying in that I don't think it would be smart at this point in our team building to draft a low ceiling player. Immediately after being drafted by a team, RJ Hampton's trade value will be higher than Saddiq Bey's, which is weird to say if Bey gets picked earlier but it's the truth. Our whole focus now should be finding another star to pair long term with Zion, Ingram, and potentially Lonzo if he continues to make strides like he did toward the end of the season.

love the idea of grabbing a guy with great athleticism and who doesnt have a ton of film. Then, we showcase him a bit in preseason. Put him in the right situation in regular season games. His per 36 numbers and efficiency look good. We leak out that he is untouchable like Blazers did with Simmons this summer, etc.Those guys can be main pieces of a Booker or Beal or whoever trade down the line. Draft Saddiq Bey, and yeah he might be a Josh Hart level pl

Or we could just pick a Devin Booker or Beal ourselves
    AS IN

Josh Green

Booker was picked at 13
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 06-05-2020 at 10:55 AM.

I know you were working on an article about this a while back. Did it ever come out?
    We decided we are gonna give it straight to Griff. Why should all 30 teams benefit from our research

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I can't tell if that's a joke or not. lol

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Now that’s interesting.

Does anyone have a site where I can easily access someone's finishing at the rim percentages from college?

How far behind is Isaac Okoro's offense? He would be the only wing in the past 4 years to be drafted in the top 20 with under a 20% usage rate and under a 30% 3p%. He should be an elite cutter almost immediately, but I'm not sure what else he'll be able to give you for the first two years at the least. I think he's Michael Kidd-Gilchrest with a little more bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    How far behind is Isaac Okoro's offense? He would be the only wing in the past 4 years to be drafted in the top 20 with under a 20% usage rate and under a 30% 3p%. He should be an elite cutter almost immediately, but I'm not sure what else he'll be able to give you for the first two years at the least. I think he's Michael Kidd-Gilchrest with a little more bounce.
    There seems to be a lot of concern with his jumpshot in particular. The mechanics are off and it's about the polar opposite of smooth and his free throw % doesn't really give any reason to hope that he'll improve all that much. He's a good cutter with nice touch at the rim, but his handle is basically nonexistent and he doesn't really jump out as a playmaker either. If he winds up as even a 4th option on a good offensive team, he'd probably be exceeding expectations.

There seems to be a lot of concern with his jumpshot in particular. The mechanics are off and it's about the polar opposite of smooth and his free throw % doesn't really give any reason to hope that he'll improve all that much. He's a good cutter with nice touch at the rim, but his handle is basically nonexistent and he doesn't really jump out as a playmaker either. If he winds up as even a 4th option on a good offensive team, he'd probably be exceeding expectations.
    Gotta disagree with this pretty heavily.

You're absolutely right on his jumper: it doesn't exist. He's not a threat to shoot, and when he does take them, he's bad at them.

But his handle is actually pretty decent for a wing and he's probably one of the top 10 functional passers in the class. He's a brilliant cutter, a strongly above average driver and rim finisher, and his court vision is better than most. He's not some pre-eminent super creator just waiting to be unleashed, but if he goes to a team that will actually invest time into his shooting (even being a 35% shooter has a lot of value in this league) and is willing to allow him to engage in occasional creation, l think he has some offensive upside.

Will he ever be an offensive star? l doubt it, but l do think he has enough in the tank to be a perfectly solid offensive player in the right situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Gotta disagree with this pretty heavily.

You're absolutely right on his jumper: it doesn't exist. He's not a threat to shoot, and when he does take them, he's bad at them.

But his handle is actually pretty decent for a wing and he's probably one of the top 10 functional passers in the class. He's a brilliant cutter, a strongly above average driver and rim finisher, and his court vision is better than most. He's not some pre-eminent super creator just waiting to be unleashed, but if he goes to a team that will actually invest time into his shooting (even being a 35% shooter has a lot of value in this league) and is willing to allow him to engage in occasional creation, l think he has some offensive upside.

Will he ever be an offensive star? l doubt it, but l do think he has enough in the tank to be a perfectly solid offensive player in the right situation.
    Curious to hear examples of guys you think he is similar to coming out of college that were good to great players for the team who drafted them. Because I could find a ton of raw shooting/scoring athletic wings who have defensive upside that do little to nothing for the team that drafted them.

Again, with Okoro, I could see him being a solid role player for some team. But history says it wont be the team who drafts him

Thread Information