Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    With AD being from Chicago would y’all trade him for Lavine, maurkelson, the 7th pick and their first next year?
    When you say maurkelson, do you mean Lauri Markkanen?
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I bet on RJ Barrett, the presumptive #1 pick going into the draft, reaching his potential. He had a better season at Duke than Ingram or Tatum, and people act like he was a disappointment!

DSJ at PG in a Gentry system might be amazing. He's much much better than Elfrid, and Elfrid looked 10x better than he has ever looked playing in our system.

I really like the Knicks potential offer, but I'm also able to talk myself into any of the others! The fun thing at this point... is every AD trade feels like gravy and the only way I think this gets screwed up is if Klutch starts leaking that AD is determined to go to Lakers and intends to sign with them next summer no matter where he is traded....

If I'm Griff... I request best and final offers right before my meeting with AD, and I'm making a deal as soon as I walk out of that meeting unless AD agrees to sign his extension.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I don’t know if anyone brought this up but, if you want some comedy go to Twitter and in the search type “Pelicans Lakers regret offer” grab a nice glass of bourbon and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    When you say maurkelson, do you mean Lauri Markkanen?
    Yessir my bad

Yessir my bad
    I don't think they'd do it, but even if they did, I'm not sure. Markkanen is good and he's got the kind of shooting you'd want to put around Zion that would help drag big men out of the paint, but Lavine isn't a great player (he's okay, but not great) and he's getting basically $20m a year. That's a lot of money to pay someone who would be, in a perfect world, the fourth option on your team (behind Zion, Jrue, and Lauri). Combine that with the fact that he's a pretty poor defender, and I'd be sceptical. Especially when this draft falls off hard after 3 or 4 picks, and their spot is 7th.

I don't think they'd do it, but even if they did, I'm not sure. Markkanen is good and he's got the kind of shooting you'd want to put around Zion that would help drag big men out of the paint, but Lavine isn't a great player (he's okay, but not great) and he's getting basically $20m a year. That's a lot of money to pay someone who would be, in a perfect world, the fourth option on your team (behind Zion, Jrue, and Lauri). Combine that with the fact that he's a pretty poor defender, and I'd be sceptical. Especially when this draft falls off hard after 3 or 4 picks, and their spot is 7th.
    Thanks sir

With AD being from Chicago would y’all trade him for Lavine, maurkelson, the 7th pick and their first next year?
    Would love this trade. Lavigne and Jrue would be a very dangerous back court and $20 million for a player of Lavines caliber is a steal in today’s market. Throw in Markanen and you have a legit 7’ big who would be a perfect fit in Gentry’s system at the 4 while playing a small ball 5. I would make sure Wendell Carter Jr. was throw in that deal as well. Would be a move for the Bulls where they would believe AD their hometown kid can then bring in another star to play in Chicago. Trade makes a lot of sense for both sides but I’m still going with the Knicks. I think getting RJ is becoming more and more important. We know he is a great fit next to Zion as well and don’t have to hope they can play off each other. These 2 played with each and off each other as well as any duo I have ever seen in college basketball and both were just freshman. The much more open floor in the NBA is much better suited for their games as well where college takes a lot away from their talents. If both develop their 3 point shots this duo is deadly for the next decade plus.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Would love this trade. Lavigne and Jrue would be a very dangerous back court and $20 million for a player of Lavines caliber is a steal in today’s market. Throw in Markanen and you have a legit 7’ big who would be a perfect fit in Gentry’s system at the 4 while playing a small ball 5. I would make sure Wendell Carter Jr. was throw in that deal as well. Would be a move for the Bulls where they would believe AD their hometown kid can then bring in another star to play in Chicago. Trade makes a lot of sense for both sides but I’m still going with the Knicks. I think getting RJ is becoming more and more important. We know he is a great fit next to Zion as well and don’t have to hope they can play off each other. These 2 played with each and off each other as well as any duo I have ever seen in college basketball and both were just freshman. The much more open floor in the NBA is much better suited for their games as well where college takes a lot away from their talents. If both develop their 3 point shots this duo is deadly for the next decade plus.
    I can dig it, I’ll take either, I’m freaking loving all our possibilities right now

I can dig it, I’ll take either, I’m freaking loving all our possibilities right now
    Same here! For once our multiple crazy trade ideas are actually a real possibility! LoL! Glad you’re back!

Same here! For once our multiple crazy trade ideas are actually a real possibility! LoL! Glad you’re back!
    Haha thanks bud glad to be back, a ton to be excited about with new management, Zion, and trade pieces. Future is bright

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Yo mama's janitor.
    I was being serious. Do you have an actual source or did you read it online?

Do we still sign Randle to maybe mentor Zion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

''Listen, Zion, if you can get a shot, do not pass, ever. And don't bother with the defense, they won't judge you on that.''

''Listen, Zion, if you can get a shot, do not pass, ever. And don't bother with the defense, they won't judge you on that.''
    You forgot to add...

from sauces.

I would love to bring Randle back and wouldn’t mind paying him but he would have to accept a role as our 6th man. Would be a great person for Zion to learn some things from while developing his own. I just don’t see Randle back since he will want $ and a starting role. Not the best fit for what we need and I would rather invest that $ elsewhere.

I would love to bring Randle back and wouldn’t mind paying him but he would have to accept a role as our 6th man. Would be a great person for Zion to learn some things from while developing his own. I just don’t see Randle back since he will want $ and a starting role. Not the best fit for what we need and I would rather invest that $ elsewhere.
    Yeah i figured he would want too much money for that kind of role. How much cap space will we have roughly if we trade Davis for those knicks rookie contracts and get rid of Hill’s contract?

Yeah i figured he would want too much money for that kind of role. How much cap space will we have roughly if we trade Davis for those knicks rookie contracts and get rid of Hill’s contract?

Salary cap is $109m. We have about $80m guaranteed going into next season, assuming Randle opts out. Zion's rookie deal will be somewhere in the region of $8-10m, not exactly certain but Ayton got $8.2m last season. So that puts us at somewhere around $90m. $109-$90 = $19m, ish.

If you trade AD to the Knicks, they will want you to take back most of his salary, cause they want their cap to go after Durant. So after trading him, we'd be looking at a fairly similar number, probably close to $90m, around $19m left.

Getting rid of Hill would probably require us to take back salary, at least in the short term: people trading their locked up contracts for the expiring, so losing him would probably not gain us very much.

Randle might want $19m just to himself if you want him back.

Edit: forgot that the NY trade would involve the 3rd pick, which would mean we'd have to sign RJ Barrett too. Last year's 3rd pick was Doncic, who cost $6.5m, so you can imagine Barrett would cost probably around the same. So that $19m left is more like $12.5m
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 05-15-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Dave View Post
    I was being serious. Do you have an actual source or did you read it online?
    Check it out. Just two people being serious.

Yo mama's janitor.

Salary cap is $109m. We have about $80m guaranteed going into next season, assuming Randle opts out. Zion's rookie deal will be somewhere in the region of $8-10m, not exactly certain but Ayton got $8.2m last season. So that puts us at somewhere around $90m. $109-$90 = $19m, ish.

If you trade AD to the Knicks, they will want you to take back most of his salary, cause they want their cap to go after Durant. So after trading him, we'd be looking at a fairly similar number, probably close to $90m, around $19m left.

Getting rid of Hill would probably require us to take back salary, at least in the short term: people trading their locked up contracts for the expiring, so losing him would probably not gain us very much.

Randle might want $19m just to himself if you want him back.

Edit: forgot that the NY trade would involve the 3rd pick, which would mean we'd have to sign RJ Barrett too. Last year's 3rd pick was Doncic, who cost $6.5m, so you can imagine Barrett would cost probably around the same. So that $19m left is more like $12.5m
    Thanks. So really no hope in signing any big free agents then. I was thinking maybe the Knicks had enough to take on Davis’ contract with not having to provide similar salary because they had the cap space. I was thinking maybe a third team in the trade could take on Hill’s contract for some of the picks we may get.

Thanks. So really no hope in signing any big free agents then. I was thinking maybe the Knicks had enough to take on Davis’ contract with not having to provide similar salary because they had the cap space. I was thinking maybe a third team in the trade could take on Hill’s contract for some of the picks we may get.

The Knicks do theoretically have the cap space, so they COULD do it, but they want their free cap space to try for KD and Kyrie. Maybe they would do it, who knows, but I just think it's unlikely.

That said, David Griffin is the cap wizard. Apparently he had somehow worked out a way to get PG13 to Cleveland in the same year that they had the highest salary in NBA history, before Indiana took it back. So if it can be done, and he wants to do it, Griff will do it.

I have lurked for a long time, figured I would go ahead, register, and post. I still dig the Celtics package around Tatum, Brown, and the Memphis pick next year. I am not convinced RJ would be better than either Tatum or Brown. I think you might be able to get them to throw in the 14th pick as well. I love Brandon Clarke, not sure he would drop that far, but I am all in on Clarke. I know he is older, but progression is not linear. He reworked him jump shot this last year, and vastly improved his percentages, while it does not look great, it is night and day from where it was last year. There is also no way he is not a plus plus defender at the NBA level, and he he has some playmaking ability. I love the idea of closing out games with Zion and Clarke front-court. I am also really high on the package the Clippers could offer around SGA, Landry Shamet, and the 2021 Heat pick You would not have to take back salary either and could trade AD into cap space. I am also abnormally high on SGA though, way more than most. I might like him better than the headliner of any of these deals Tatum, Ingram, Barrett. He’s a good multi multipositional, you saw him drop 25 in a playoff game already, his jumper just keeps getting better, he’s a good playmaker, and he the pace he plays with at his age is something to behold. Shamet is basically new JJ, he’s going to be a sniper for a long time in this league. He can also playmake a little bit, while he will never be a lockdown defender, he tries, has good instincts, and a high basketball IQ. Also the Miami 2021 pick might be the most valuable future pick owed. While it won’t be the double draft, who knows where Miami is then. They don’t seem to be in the thick of it for any of these guys, but you are betting against Pat Riley so who knows. The Knicks package just doesn’t excite me as much. Im not super high on Barrett, he’s obviously a good prospect, but Im not in love. His shooting mechanics are solid, but his percentages suck. He didn’t seem to do much off the ball offensively, especially considering his athleticism. While he is a good playmaker especially for his size, he seems to be a bit of a ball stopper. He isn’t a great finisher at the rim especially considering his athleticism. He’s a pretty good on the ball defender, but doesn’t appear to have great instincts, or a very high defensive basketball iq. All those things can be fixed, but I wouldn’t be shocked if in three years he’s Andrew Wiggins who tries on defense. I love Mitchell Robinson, but would not be thrilled longterm with surrounding Zion with a 5 who has no hope of ever spacing the floor. The other guys to me are kind of blah. I doubt DSJ ever becomes more than a middling NBA starting PG. I still think Knox has potential, but his defensive metrics were horrendous, and there is still a lot he has to figure out. The Lakers package is the Lakers package. The dark house seems to be the Nuggets. You would have to assume Jamal Murray, Michael Porter jr, Gary Harris, and Monte Morris would all be on the table. You might take back Will Barton’s contract too. Long term a Jrue/Murray backcourt seems interesting. Murray gives you the shooting you need to surround Zion with to, as well as some of the playmaking load. Anyways good to be here guys.
    Last edited by bogiesfedora; 05-15-2019 at 11:53 PM.

"We can hold onto [Davis] and let him see what we really are," Griffin continued. "[Winning the lottery] changes how quickly he can buy into it. It gets us closer. Every day, maybe he believes a little more. As much as elite talent likes to play with elite talent, I can't imagine any elite player in his prime looking at our situation and saying to himself, 'There's a better grouping to play for' than ours." -David Griffin.

In other words, this is Griffin's way of indirectly telling AD..."Yo, listen, if your main goal is to win a NBA championship and you're all about winning, how is going to the Knicks, Boston or LA, an increase/a better percentage of winning a 'chip than the current team that you're on with Jrue and Zion?...Especially after we receive all of the good players in exchange for you, you'll then be on a lesser squad, with even less of a chance of winning a championship? Staying in Nawlins is the best chance of you winning a ring, son."

Side note: I just don't think the Knicks will get both KD and Kawhi...Irving and AD can't win a championship alone in NY. But, AD, Zion, and Jrue here along with deadly shooter like Kemba Walker with a great PG can def win you a ring.

F it, trade next years 1st/Jrue for Wall and sign Walker.

Wall
    Walker/Or find a way to keep Jrue too.
    Zion
    AD
    Randle

AD isn't going to sign an extension for any team even if he gets traded now. Therefore, it is best to wait until the last few days before the trade deadline well late into the season. By then, who knows, maybe he will change his mind.

AD, if you're reading this, please man, stay or at-least sign for 1-2 extra years...

Cap wizards, flame me now.

Edit: Forgot about Wall's injury. Dang it.
    Last edited by WhyHornetsWhy; 05-16-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    I have lurked for a long time, figured I would go ahead, register, and post.
    Well, first things first, welcome to the posting! Great time to start, with the Zion news, lots of stuff getting posted.

I still dig the Celtics package around Tatum, Brown, and the Memphis pick next year. I am not convinced RJ would be better than either Tatum or Brown. I think you might be able to get them to throw in the 14th pick as well. I love Brandon Clarke, not sure he would drop that far, but I am all in on Clarke. I know he is older, but progression is not linear. He reworked him jump shot this last year, and vastly improved his percentages, while it does not look great, it is night and day from where it was last year. There is also no way he is not a plus plus defender at the NBA level, and he he has some playmaking ability. I love the idea of closing out games with Zion and Clarke front-court
    I don't think that RJ would be better than Tatum or Brown either, at least not in his rookie year. But next season, Tatum will be 21, and Brown will be 23. Now obviously, neither of those ages are old, but RJ will still be 19 and younger than both, so I'm not expecting him to be on third or fourth year level as a rookie. I'd also add that the Celtics better be adding the 14th pick, because if they don't then I don't do the trade: I want at least the Memphis pick and one of their picks for this year, and the 14th is the best they got.

As for Clarke, I do kind of agree about a lot of his benefits, but I have some doubts. He's very undersized for a center, and normally that's not too big a deal: you know, Zion's a little undersized too. But Zion has a basically 7'0 wingspan which helps, whereas Clarke's span is only 6'8. That's pretty small for a guy whose skill set is only really suited to play in the C/PF positions.

The Knicks package just doesn’t excite me as much. Im not super high on Barrett, he’s obviously a good prospect, but Im not in love. His shooting mechanics are solid, but his percentages suck. He didn’t seem to do much off the ball offensively, especially considering his athleticism. While he is a good playmaker especially for his size, he seems to be a bit of a ball stopper. He isn’t a great finisher at the rim especially considering his athleticism. He’s a pretty good on the ball defender, but doesn’t appear to have great instincts, or a very high defensive basketball iq. All those things can be fixed, but I wouldn’t be shocked if in three years he’s Andrew Wiggins who tries on defense. I love Mitchell Robinson, but would not be thrilled longterm with surrounding Zion with a 5 who has no hope of ever spacing the floor. The other guys to me are kind of blah. I doubt DSJ ever becomes more than a middling NBA starting PG. I still think Knox has potential, but his defensive metrics were horrendous, and there is still a lot he has to figure out.
    There's a lot to say here. Obviously some of it is opinion, and if you don't like Barrett then you don't like Barrett, but I think that calling him Andrew Wiggins + Defense isn't the worst thing in the world: Wiggins sucks, but a large part of the reason he sucks is that he doesn't bother at all on defense and his contract is big. If he was on that rookie scale deal and played D, he wouldn't be disliked nearly as much. He does have a lot to improve on, but at the same time I can't agree with some of your assessments. I think he's a better defender than all that, and while I agree that he was a little bit of a ballstopper in college, part of that seems to come from the way the offense was run and the fact that he was so hyped coming into the year. Add to that the fact that he's so young, and I can imagine that being mentored by a guy like Jrue could really elevate his game to a pretty high level.

Robinson has value with Zion for two main reasons. The first is that Zion is a great shotblocker, but he's mostly a weakside shotblocker, not a back to the basket stalwart. Having someone like Robinson who can actually just lock down the paint would be pretty useful with AD leaving, and he's such a low usage player on offense it wouldn't suck too many shots away from Zion, Jrue, and RJ. He's a decent defender in space, so stretch bigs wouldn't kill him when those matchups come up, and while I agree that he's probably not going to be a sniper, it's too early in his career to say he has no hope of ever spacing the floor. People would have said the same about Brook Lopez for a long time and now he's dropping 27 foot bombs on Toronto in the ECF. At any rate, I'd be surprised if he couldn't develop a little 10 or 15 footer.

Knox's defense doesn't bother me right now, mainly because he's the third youngest player in the NBA and has shown signs. Given that we'd have Barrett, I'd be trusting Knox in more of a backup forward position and he wouldn't need to be excellent immediately because he has some potential, especially as a scorer.

Anyways good to be here guys.
    Good to have you.

Would the jazz trade Donovan Mitchell and Gobert for AD?

Would the jazz trade Donovan Mitchell and Gobert for AD?
    I mean I would love that but I can't imagine they'd do it. The risk of AD leaving is probably too high for them.

Thread Information