Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zion #1 pick - Done Deal ? Why?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's cool. It's partly my fault, but when I hear someone say ''outside shot'' in today's NBA, I automatically think threes.

He is super young though, yep. Will be barely a few months over 19 when he plays his first NBA game.
    Do you think getting Zion correlates to FA wanting to come here or it's a non-sequitur ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Do you think getting Zion correlates to FA wanting to come here or it's a non-sequitur ?
    I think it will depend. This summer? No, not really. I don't think free agents are going to wager multiple years of their career on an unproven rookie. But if he really shows out and has an incredible rookie season, kind of like how Doncic is doing this year, and the media hype surrounding him stays, again like Doncic has had, then it could encourage some FAs to consider us a little more strongly than they may otherwise.
    Basketball.

Zion is definitely going to be the 1st pick. But there is a reason Barrett was the highest rated high school player, with Zion being 2nd. Zion is a freak of nature that enforces his will on teams but I would be willing to bet that if they were on different teams the answer wouldn't be so clear cut.

All in all I would take any of the three of Zion, Barrett or Morant as the centerpiece of the AD deal.

I also want to add that I think Barrett will be a star in the NBA. When I watch him play he reminds me of T-Mac a lot. That's a lofty aspiration but I see a lot of similarities in their games. Including body type.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Zion is definitely going to be the 1st pick. But there is a reason Barrett was the highest rated high school player, with Zion being 2nd. Zion is a freak of nature that enforces his will on teams but I would be willing to bet that if they were on different teams the answer wouldn't be so clear cut.

All in all I would take any of the three of Zion, Barrett or Morant as the centerpiece of the AD deal.

I also want to add that I think Barrett will be a star in the NBA. When I watch him play he reminds me of T-Mac a lot. That's a lofty aspiration but I see a lot of similarities in their games. Including body type.
    I see that, actually. It's not like a copy and paste, but I do see elements of it.

I see that, actually. It's not like a copy and paste, but I do see elements of it.
    Something about his mannerisms and the way he moves and shoots.

I think some of you guys are tremendously underrating zion.

A few points:
    -he's *by far* the best college basketball player this year in the country. And the difference between him and #2 is bigger than the difference between #2 and #20. He's been that good.
    -he's a bigtime playmaker. Look at some of the advanced metrics in the halfcourt this year for duke. Basically when the ball is in his hand wherever he is on the floor, great things happen for Duke.
    -he's a defensive beast

RJ Barrett has been taking possessions at a discouraging rate from him all year. Zions usage rate in certain situations this year has crept up as the season progressed, but it should still be much higher.

In the nba he can serve a slightly modified point forward role in halfcourt and just be a beast. in transition he will of course immediately be great.

Other players are going to want to play with him immediately.

Also, from a marketing/entertainment perspective he instantly jumps to the top..right up there with curry and lebron. maybe above. I don't remember this much excitement about a draft pick since lebron. Everyone is going to want to see this guy.

I hope like hell we beat the odds and win the lottery. Whoever does win the lottery is getting a very special player and instant superstar(even if he isnt initially a superstar in terms of on court value which we cant rule out he will be in other ways)

He reminds me of a more athletic Clarence Weatherspoon with more impressive ball skills.

As much as I like Zion, lol at Duke losing this game despite him dropping 32/11/5 on 50% from the floor, 45% from deep, and 87% from the FT line. Typical.

As much as I like Zion, lol at Duke losing this game despite him dropping 32/11/5 on 50% from the floor, 45% from deep, and 87% from the FT line. Typical.
    Strike that, they won in the final 20 seconds lol

Wanted UCF to win. I get the feeling the farther Duke makes it the lower our changes of getting Zion are.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Wanted UCF to win. I get the feeling the farther Duke makes it the lower our changes of getting Zion are.
    Our chances are already so low, that I don't think it matters. Even if Duke lost tonight, Zion would still be going number 1 in the draft unless Ja Morant is absolutely mind-boggling for the entire tournament. Even then, Zion still goes 2nd. So we still need to trade for the pick either way, makes no different.

As a side note, Zion has shot 39% from three since January 1st. Obviously it's a relatively small sample size because it's not like he takes 10 a game or anything, but it's a good sign that the shot is there.

When Zion develops an outside shot he is going to be unstoppable. He actually has touch and not some broken shot. Just needs to put in work on something he has never had to use. This kid is going to be a similar player to Giannis IMO. I believe he will continue to develop his skills creating for others and similar to Ben Simmons will take it to another level once getting to the NBA where the spacing is much better. Zion is going to be a flat out super star. There really isn’t a comparison for him as he’s one of those generational talents who other players are compared to.

Thread Information