.
Pelicans Report
 

View Poll Results: Starting backcourt?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • DJM-CJ-Herb

    2 25.00%
  • DJM-Herb-BI/Trey

    6 75.00%
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Starting backcourt?

  1. #1

    Pelicans Starting backcourt?

    Murray-CJ-Herb
    or
    Murray-Herb-BI/Trey



    I'm ALL IN for Murray-Herb-BI/Trey, CJ 6th man. And depends on the game/opponent you can put CJ more minutes and finishing the game.
    Of course I can't see Herb out of the starting five, IMPOSSIBLE.

  2. #2
    What I want: Murray-Herb-BI/Trey

    What Willie Green wants: Murray-CJ-BI, Herb only if BI is traded.

  3. #3
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,881
    Murray and CJ are the starting guards, I would bet a lot of money on that. That was the vision when they acquired Murray and for good reason. Murray should be paired with a shooting guard who can play off ball and provide spacing from deep, and CJ is a great fit in that role. Trey would be a great fit in that role as well. BI... not so much.

    The real question is Herb vs BI, one of those guys is going to the bench, and its probably going to be Herb unfortunately.

  4. #4
    It will be Murray and CJ unless it goes abominably wrong. And even then I’m not convinced Willie would deviate from that. We shall wait and see.

  5. #5
    Cj to the bench
    Djm bi herb Zion Trey I seen a picture of Trey looks like he put on some muscle
    The key to this lineup working is

    Brandon shooting on average 6 3s a night
    Trey and Zion rebounding
    Perimeter defense limiting penetration

    Cj he’s the biggest liability on defense and our head coach calling card is defense
    He’s the best 3pt shooter all around off dribble and catch and shoot
    He’s the most seasoned makes since to lower his minutes from last year to save for the stretch
    He can play with anybody on the team versatile so when z or bi or Murray needs a breather he can be the reliever
    He can stretch leads when reserves come in or bring us within striking distance when we down

    He’s on the back end of his career and league president so he should be mature enough that being the 6th man won’t hurt his ego as long as he’s still logging a good 27 to 33 mins a night

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Murray and CJ are the starting guards, I would bet a lot of money on that. That was the vision when they acquired Murray and for good reason. Murray should be paired with a shooting guard who can play off ball and provide spacing from deep, and CJ is a great fit in that role. Trey would be a great fit in that role as well. BI... not so much.

    The real question is Herb vs BI, one of those guys is going to the bench, and its probably going to be Herb unfortunately.
    Herb to the bench? NO WAY A first all defense team to the bench?

    No f*cking way

    Willie do that and he has to be FIRED inmediately. Herb is the key in d-fense in the starting 5, the glue, the key 3&D that every winning team has.

  7. #7
    People that think Willie would take a first team all defense dude that has started his entire career and move him to the bench have not been paying attention to Willie's preferred type of player. If we had 5 Herb Jones' on this team plus all the other starting caliber players, Willie would probably start 4 of them and Zion.

    Edited to add, Willie prefers defense. Leads me to believe he will ask CJ to come off the bench.

  8. #8
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,881

    Business

    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    People that think Willie would take a first team all defense dude that has started his entire career and move him to the bench have not been paying attention to Willie's preferred type of player. If we had 5 Herb Jones' on this team plus all the other starting caliber players, Willie would probably start 4 of them and Zion.

    Edited to add, Willie prefers defense. Leads me to believe he will ask CJ to come off the bench.
    Herb as been starting his entire career, well what about CJ. He's started a bit longer I believe.

  9. #9
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_pelican View Post
    Herb to the bench? NO WAY A first all defense team to the bench?

    No f*cking way

    Willie do that and he has to be FIRED inmediately. Herb is the key in d-fense in the starting 5, the glue, the key 3&D that every winning team has.
    I'd prefer Herb starting as well, but BI being on the team makes it a weird fit. Just go through the options:

    Murray BI Herb Z and a center is rough because it's 3 ball dominant offensive guys and 0 three point specialists to space the floor. I personally don't like this lineup and feel we need either CJ or Trey in the mix to provide a legitimate deep threat.

    Murray CJ/Trey Herb Z and a center makes sense and would be my choice probably but that brings BI to the bench.

    Murray CJ/Trey BI Herb Z could be fun if we want to go small ball but there is potential to get bullied on the glass.

    For these reasons I think Murray, CJ, BI, Z, and a center is the most likely outcome. It could be fun to see, I don't hate it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Herb as been starting his entire career, well what about CJ. He's started a bit longer I believe.
    But not for Willie. For Willie, defense will always get the nod over offense.

  11. #11
    Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lake Charles
    Posts
    4,696
    It really depends in the Center, IMO. If we trade for Allen or Kessler, I think CJ starts. If we get someone like Ayton, I think CJ becomes the 6th man.
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

    BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

  12. #12
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    But not for Willie. For Willie, defense will always get the nod over offense.
    If it was that simple Dyson would have been starting instead of CJ

  13. #13
    Basketball Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    4,160
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I'd prefer Herb starting as well, but BI being on the team makes it a weird fit. Just go through the options:

    Murray BI Herb Z and a center is rough because it's 3 ball dominant offensive guys and 0 three point specialists to space the floor. I personally don't like this lineup and feel we need either CJ or Trey in the mix to provide a legitimate deep threat.

    Murray CJ/Trey Herb Z and a center makes sense and would be my choice probably but that brings BI to the bench.

    Murray CJ/Trey BI Herb Z could be fun if we want to go small ball but there is potential to get bullied on the glass.

    For these reasons I think Murray, CJ, BI, Z, and a center is the most likely outcome. It could be fun to see, I don't hate it.
    if ingram is still on the team come the 1st game,, murray, ingram, herb, zion and center will be the starting lineup.....

    now willie may pivot and go with a small ball lineup to start the game by going with, murray, cj, ingram, herb, zion....

    i think its cj going to the bench if ingram is still on the team come game one....

  14. #14
    Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lake Charles
    Posts
    4,696
    Murray
    CJ
    BI
    Herb
    Zion

    That's a pretty stellar offensive lineup. It would be nuts trying to stop that. Any weaknesses on defense having Herb and Zion as a front court would be dwarfed by that offensive advantage. Trey as a 6th man isn't as big a deal as people are making it out. On most teams, the 6th man is more important and logs more minutes than the 4th and 5th starters. The kid is 24 and hasn't been a consistent starter before so he shouldn't he offended for another season or two. Jose and Theis rounding our your 8 man playoff rotation wouldn't be awful. I still think we need a C and I doubt Zion wants to primarily play there but that's a **** good team.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    If it was that simple Dyson would have been starting instead of CJ
    Probably why Griff shipped him out lol. He knew Willie would add him to the starting lineup soon if he didn't move him!

    For real though, it has to be within reason. Willie isn't dumb. He just prefers defensive players over other options. Why else would we have played Temple so much. I suppose it could also be his affinity for vets over youngsters as well.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 07-11-2024 at 04:02 PM.

  16. #16
    Basketball Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    4,160
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Murray
    CJ
    BI
    Herb
    Zion

    That's a pretty stellar offensive lineup. It would be nuts trying to stop that. Any weaknesses on defense having Herb and Zion as a front court would be dwarfed by that offensive advantage. Trey as a 6th man isn't as big a deal as people are making it out. On most teams, the 6th man is more important and logs more minutes than the 4th and 5th starters. The kid is 24 and hasn't been a consistent starter before so he shouldn't he offended for another season or two. Jose and Theis rounding our your 8 man playoff rotation wouldn't be awful. I still think we need a C and I doubt Zion wants to primarily play there but that's a **** good team.
    im not thinking that zion playing alot of mins at the 5....im thinking willie going with that lineup to start the game for 5-7mins just to please the players...i just cant see ingram going to the bench and we trying to trade him....we need ingram coming out with a chip on his shoulder and proving people wrong about that last playoff series ...

  17. #17
    Willie may prefer defense over offense, but every coach prefers harmony over friction. It will be a problem if BI isn't starting (especially in a contract year) and Herb seems like he'd be ok with coming off the bench (note giving up his jersey #). Maybe CJ volunteers to come off the bench but barring that, I'd expect Murray/CJ/BI/Z/C. That's really a horrible spacing lineup, even with a KAT-level C.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    If it was that simple Dyson would have been starting instead of CJ
    Yep, I agree with this take. Willie tends to favor his veterans over the younger players initially.

  19. #19
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Murray
    CJ
    BI
    Herb
    Zion

    That's a pretty stellar offensive lineup. It would be nuts trying to stop that. Any weaknesses on defense having Herb and Zion as a front court would be dwarfed by that offensive advantage. Trey as a 6th man isn't as big a deal as people are making it out. On most teams, the 6th man is more important and logs more minutes than the 4th and 5th starters. The kid is 24 and hasn't been a consistent starter before so he shouldn't he offended for another season or two. Jose and Theis rounding our your 8 man playoff rotation wouldn't be awful. I still think we need a C and I doubt Zion wants to primarily play there but that's a **** good team.
    I agree with this take it's a very exciting lineup. Could potentially swap Trey for CJ too and add some more size to the small ball lineup. I think we will see Zion at 5 more if there is no BI trade, because we have several star wings and no star center.

  20. #20
    Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2,102
    I don?t know why but I think JRE gets plenty of minutes this year. So, I think they will play small ball a ton and Z at the five. I firmly believe they will sign BI, and run with Karlo, Theis, JRE, Zion and Missi as the bigs.
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 07-12-2024 at 04:38 AM.

  21. #21
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I don?t know why but I think JRE gets plenty of minutes this year. So, I think they will play small ball a ton and Z at the five. I firmly believe they will sign BI, and run with Karlo, Theis, JRE, Zion and Missi as the bigs.
    I've seen nothing in Robinson-Earl that makes me hope for more minutes from him. He is a typical 10th best guy on the team who should fill in when someone is injured but otherwise not see any action. I don't know what he does well. At least Matt Ryan can hit 3s.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •