Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: December 4th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Sacramento Kings - 11-10

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It?s much harder to motivate yourself to play a crappy team on a back to back. Not making excuses for anyone but that is true for most athletes. We have to get over that hump and show up every night. It won?t always go your way but damnit we need to stay consistent
    It's about making it look easy. The pels struggle with that right now. Their flow is too easy to mess up.

That said having shooters like Trey and CJ available makes a big difference there.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Meh Chuck is right about Zion?s rebounding being subpar. I know Chuck?s old power forward position doesn?t exist anymore, and forwards aren?t going to have the same rebound numbers, but Zion has got to get more aggressive going after defensive rebounds
    He had 6 boards. Whatever. What do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    It's about making it look easy. The pels struggle with that right now. Their flow is too easy to mess up.

That said having shooters like Trey and CJ available makes a big difference there.
    We definitely don’t make it easy on ourselves. Part of that is obviously coaching, but also we were missing a leader for a decent chunk of time in CJ. Seeing as we have nobody else to fill that role, it can get a bit chaotic if the coach can’t set them up to succeed. Hopefully with everyone back we turn over a new leaf. We need to starting now

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I always question Willie’s rotations as Zion should almost always be surrounded by shooting. But I would like Zion to start punishing teams for taking him lightly. He is capable of more than driving.
    I'm sorry, he's one dimensional. Just like Barkley said on TNT, he's living purely off of his talent.

Playing off your talent is fine, when you are playing against a Sociology Majors at Wake Forest, a Human Resources Majors at North Carolina, or Fine Arts Majors at Florida State. But now he's playing against the best of best. The level of competition he faces in the NBA night in and night out has risen significantly; unfortunately his game has not evolved to account for it.

Imagine if it did. There's a part of me that really feels sorry for him.

Wow, GREAT win !!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I'm sorry, he's one dimensional. Just like Barkley said on TNT, he's living purely off of his talent.

Playing off your talent is fine, when you are playing against a Sociology Majors at Wake Forest, a Human Resources Majors at North Carolina, or Fine Arts Majors at Florida State. But now he's playing against the best of best. The level of competition he faces in the NBA night in and night out has risen significantly; unfortunately his game has not evolved to account for it.

He deferred tonight. He didn't try to play hero ball. For that I'm thankful. At times in the game CJ tried that. Drove me crazy, thought he had a decent game otherwise. Zion will play amazing again next game probably. Or soon. To dismiss his games when he's like 12/15 is silly. Even if he is an average at best defender.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    He deferred tonight. He didn't try to play hero ball. For that I'm thankful. At times in the game CJ tried that. Drove me crazy, thought he had a decent game otherwise. Zion will play amazing again next game probably. Or soon. To dismiss his games when he's like 12/15 is silly. Even if he is an average at best defender.
    Exactly. He and BI are supposed to be learning how to play together and he deferred a lot tonight. We won as a team, yet some will complain no matter what. It was a great team win. BI and Herb were phenomenal.

Shawn Kemp made a Finals run off talent alone. Had a decent PG and some shooters though so....

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Missed the game.
    Any reason why Hawkins didn't play?
    Too small to defend Kings mostly.

The biggest thing Zion is missing is a point guard to help set him up. He’s probably one of the best lob threats in the league, but we don’t have a team that’s very good at throwing lob passes. It’s probably the one hole that we haven’t filled when Ball left. Brandon may be the best passer we have, but he’s not a natural point guard.

As for the game last night, I think some of it is the fact that his legs are probably shot from playing three games in four nights. A guy that heavy with that vertical is putting a lot of wear on his leg muscles. We should see a much better Zion with a full two days rest for Thursday’s game.

If one was to consider last night's game a playoff game, BI's career playoff stat-line reads as follows: 27.4 / 6.4 / 6.1.

DEFENSE...DEFENSE...DEFENSE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Too small to defend Kings mostly.
    Thank you.
    However I don't buy it.
    Maybe not good enough to play defence, but too small can't be it when you have Jose out there.

I hope Willie isn't starting to resort to not playing him because if his defence.

What exactly is the national vibe.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...16816c11&ei=27

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    What exactly is the national vibe.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...16816c11&ei=27

Zion constantly jogging with his tongue out feels like some sort of joke, doesn’t it? I always feel like he will eventually pick up the speed, but nope. Just a casual jog for 30 minutes a game. A lot of people don’t realize what Chuck is saying. Chuck is saying this team could only have about three losses if he hustled more. If they all hustled more, but seeing the star be lazy, creates a trickle effect. They also mentioned the team has lost 6 games this year when they led by double digits. That’s insane!
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 12-05-2023 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    He had 6 boards. Whatever. What do you need?
    I think he could have had about 12 if he actually boxed out to be honest. If he’s not barreling to the rim, he’s coasting.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Exactly. He and BI are supposed to be learning how to play together and he deferred a lot tonight. We won as a team, yet some will complain no matter what. It was a great team win. BI and Herb were phenomenal.
    It's ridiculous.

Zion himself said it in his post-game interview: sometimes, you have to be willing to let the guys who are hot take the shots instead of forcing it. Instead, he had 6 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, and good defense in under 30 minutes played and still shot over 50% from the floor. And we won, by double digits. Would guys on this site prefer he took a bunch of stupid ''my turn'' shots just to make the box score look prettier? He played the role the team needed given the way everyone else was playing and how Sacramento was defending him. What's the issue?

Great team win indeed.
    Basketball.

Honestly quite happy with where the team is at for this season. I still think there are long term things that are going to need addressing but the immediate term is cool.

Everyone getting healthy. BI and Zion fitting together well lately. Herb taking the level up offensively. Trey appears to still have it. JV and CJ doing quality vet things still.

12-10 isn't ideal, of course, but when you consider the circumstances it's a lot better than this team would have been say, a year or 2 ago.

We've played one of the hardest schedules in the league thus far, with a top 3 most-games-lost-due-to-injury, and we've also played the most games in the league. We've played 22 games already, which is the most; some teams have only played 17 games at this point (see: Houston). To come through that over .500 finally going into an easier stretch, I'm happy with the team right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Honestly quite happy with where the team is at for this season. I still think there are long term things that are going to need addressing but the immediate term is cool.

Everyone getting healthy. BI and Zion fitting together well lately. Herb taking the level up offensively. Trey appears to still have it. JV and CJ doing quality vet things still.

12-10 isn't ideal, of course, but when you consider the circumstances it's a lot better than this team would have been say, a year or 2 ago.

We've played one of the hardest schedules in the league thus far, with a top 3 most-games-lost-due-to-injury, and we've also played the most games in the league. We've played 22 games already, which is the most; some teams have only played 17 games at this point (see: Houston). To come through that over .500 finally going into an easier stretch, I'm happy with the team right now.
    Yeah, but don’t you think they always have some “circumstance” that allows them to be mediocre. The team is Jekyl and Hide sometimes. But, for years we have allowed them to tell us that a certain thing is the reason they lose like they have done to teams that are far inferior in talent. We as a fan base just need to hold them accountable, so they would be more consistent. They get away with a lot of excuses. Like saying Zion is lazy or BI takes bad shots, or Willie can’t coach is all things that happen, so it’s not bad to call it out. Should also give praise when it’s necessary. Just feel they need tough love. This roster can win a title.

All-Star
    Herb jones is going to win a NBA title one day. i just hope its with us! what a player.

Basketball Guru
    the kings were 9-4 in their last 13 games.....i know for sure 7 of the 9 wins were against good teams....3 of their 4 losses was to us.....meeting them in the playoffs will be hard and hyped up games on their end trying to prove something....

All-Star
    looks like we will be playing the lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieHornet View Post
    looks like we will be playing the lakers.
    not so fast...

Even though i think Suns are clearly better team i would rather play them then the Lakers. Lakers will kill us on the boards and also there is refs factor against them.

All-Star
    also the lakers lost their lead!

Thread Information