Pelicans Report

Page 136 of 157 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 146 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    For the 400th year in a row....you cant combine a salary with a TPE to take on more
    Now if a man is over 400 years old, why do y’all always question him? The chances are he has seen all these scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Now if a man is over 400 years old, why do y’all always question him? The chances are he has seen all these scenarios.
    Don't be silly. If he's over 400 years old he almost certainly has some form of intense memory issues.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    Top candidate for biggest idiot in NBA history. Arrogance took over his mind.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    this is absolutely true for a man this old when it comes to knowledge of the NBA salary cap and all its many intricacies.... things like personnel evaluation, trade ideas, etc. etc. can be addressed and discussed competently by many, many reasonably aged people too....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I'd even throw out the possibility that it was learning the intricacies of the NBA salary cap that aged MM 400 years.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'd even throw out the possibility that it was learning the intricacies of the NBA salary cap that aged MM 400 years.
    Like something out of a Lovecraft novel; the depths to which the CBA goes is beyond knowledge man was meant to know and any who gaze upon it are driven mad by the revelation.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    PG---Devonte'Graham
    SG---Trey Murphy
    SF---Brandon Ingram
    PF---Zion Williamson
    C----Jonas Valanciunas

Awesome starting 5

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    PG---Devonte'Graham
    SG---Trey Murphy
    SF---Brandon Ingram
    PF---Zion Williamson
    C----Jonas Valanciunas

Awesome starting 5
    I'm of a mind that this team might be deep enough to come up with several pretty fascinating 5 player groupings.....

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I'm of a mind that this team might be deep enough to come up with several pretty fascinating 5 player groupings.....
    I like the tall Boi rotation, but that seems like a year or two away.

NAW needs to be in the starting rotation IMO

What I find amusing is that, in the event that a Buddy trade goes through - as mentioned previously in the thread, such a thing is still technically possible (or will become possible quite quickly) and there were at least some discussions about it - Griff will be at least mildly vindicated in one thing .

This happened at the end of last seasons:

This season, no one in the NBA got beat up worse in the 3-point battleground than the Pelicans, who allowed the second-most 3s per game (14.5) while making the fourth-fewest (10.6). On the final day of the regular season, executive vice president of basketball operations David Griffin said addressing that disparity is one of his chief objectives this offseason.

“We will not be in this position again,” Griffin said.
    https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...077ea3926.html

Well, saying that we will not be a shooting deficient team again and then turning around and adding Devonte' Graham, Trey Murphy, Buddy Hield, and swapping out Adams for Jonas would be a pretty clear path towards fixing that problem.

Last season, among all players to take at least 5 catch and shoot 3s a game, Devonte' and Buddy were 5th and 15th in percentage respectively (42.3% and 39.6% each).
    From players to take at least 3 pull-up 3s a game, Buddy was 8th in the NBA in percentage (38.4%).

Trey Murphy, obviously not in the NBA, shot 43.3% from 3 on 10.7 attempts per 100, and shot 40.1% on 12.3 per 100 for his overall college career.

All three players shot at least 84% from the FT line in their last season played:

92.7% his final college season for Trey
    84.6% for Buddy last season (Career 86.3% FT shooter)
    84.2% for Devonte' last season (career 82.2% FT shooter)

Last season we were 29th in FT% in the NBA, shooting 72.9% from the stripe as a team. Only one player who logged at least 1000 minutes for the team shot better than 80% from the FT line on the season, and that was Ingram. And even if you loosen the restriction on minutes and just look at the top 10 minutes getters for the team, you only add one more guy who shot better than 80% from the line, and that was Kira at 84.3%.

Adding Trey, Buddy, and Devonte also fixes - to a large extent - our ''being awful at FTs'' problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    NAW needs to be in the starting rotation IMO
    NAW can be our "Manu". Comes off the bench but plays a ton of minutes.

What did I miss about the pels getting Buddy? Does that have any legs? I know Hart pretty much removed all Pelicans stuff from his social media.

NAW needs to absolutely be given 1st crack as the starter even if they were to trade for Buddy. He is the better overall player with still more upside.

Only issue is Buddy's base contract declines each year and is incentive laden. So he'll want as many minutes as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    NAW can be our "Manu". Comes off the bench but plays a ton of minutes.

What did I miss about the pels getting Buddy? Does that have any legs? I know Hart pretty much removed all Pelicans stuff from his social media.
    Fischer wrote an article for Bleacher Report in which he mentioned that there was some interest between the Pels and Kings in a S&T regarding Hart for Buddy. He also wrote that it is unclear if there is still any interest in such a thing, given that Hart still hasn't been signed by the Pelicans. He didn't give a huge amount of detail, and he was quite clear that it's not an active thing in process, but he's been pretty on the ball for a while now so I wouldn't be surprised if there was something at least on the table at some point. Whether it was serious or just enquiry is another matter, and whether it will actually happen is a third, entirely separate matter on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Fischer wrote an article for Bleacher Report in which he mentioned that there was some interest between the Pels and Kings in a S&T regarding Hart for Buddy. He also wrote that it is unclear if there is still any interest in such a thing, given that Hart still hasn't been signed by the Pelicans. He didn't give a huge amount of detail, and he was quite clear that it's not an active thing in process, but he's been pretty on the ball for a while now so I wouldn't be surprised if there was something at least on the table at some point. Whether it was serious or just enquiry is another matter, and whether it will actually happen is a third, entirely separate matter on top of that.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-...195237157.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I find amusing is that, in the event that a Buddy trade goes through - as mentioned previously in the thread, such a thing is still technically possible (or will become possible quite quickly) and there were at least some discussions about it - Griff will be at least mildly vindicated in one thing .

This happened at the end of last seasons:

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...077ea3926.html

Well, saying that we will not be a shooting deficient team again and then turning around and adding Devonte' Graham, Trey Murphy, Buddy Hield, and swapping out Adams for Jonas would be a pretty clear path towards fixing that problem.

Last season, among all players to take at least 5 catch and shoot 3s a game, Devonte' and Buddy were 5th and 15th in percentage respectively (42.3% and 39.6% each).
    From players to take at least 3 pull-up 3s a game, Buddy was 8th in the NBA in percentage (38.4%).

Trey Murphy, obviously not in the NBA, shot 43.3% from 3 on 10.7 attempts per 100, and shot 40.1% on 12.3 per 100 for his overall college career.

All three players shot at least 84% from the FT line in their last season played:

92.7% his final college season for Trey
    84.6% for Buddy last season (Career 86.3% FT shooter)
    84.2% for Devonte' last season (career 82.2% FT shooter)

Last season we were 29th in FT% in the NBA, shooting 72.9% from the stripe as a team. Only one player who logged at least 1000 minutes for the team shot better than 80% from the FT line on the season, and that was Ingram. And even if you loosen the restriction on minutes and just look at the top 10 minutes getters for the team, you only add one more guy who shot better than 80% from the line, and that was Kira at 84.3%.

Adding Trey, Buddy, and Devonte also fixes - to a large extent - our ''being awful at FTs'' problem.
    and adding Valančiūnas for Adams is also a huge FT% upgrade!
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    and adding Valančiūnas for Adams is also a huge FT% upgrade!
    I think a poster here also mentioned that Val was once a pretty good three point shooter before Memphis. Due to their scheme in Memphis, he just wasn?t asked to spread the floor much. Will be interesting to see if they tap into his skills when he was with Toronto. He has the ability to shoot. Just hasn?t been using it.

Cool thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I think a poster here also mentioned that Val was once a pretty good three point shooter before Memphis. Due to their scheme in Memphis, he just wasn?t asked to spread the floor much. Will be interesting to see if they tap into his skills when he was with Toronto. He has the ability to shoot. Just hasn?t been using it.
    I think for Jonas it depends what you mean by good three point shooter. Generally speaking, his percentages have been good but the volume has been pretty low.

He's his career so far from 3:

2012-13 until the end of 2016-17 (363 games played): 1/4 from 3
    2017-18: 30/74 from 3 (40.5%) in 77 games
    2018-19: 14/48 from 3 (29.2%) in 49 games
    2019-20: 32/91 from 3 (35.2%) in 70 games
    2020-21: 21/57 from 3 (36.8%) in 62 games

Overall career: 98/274 from 3 (35.8%) in 621 games - 0.4 attempts per game. If you ignore his first 5 seasons, where he just never attempted any at all, then you get 97/270 (35.9%) in 258 games, or about 1 per game.

He actually had very arguably his best 3pt shooting years in Memphis, compared to Toronto. The volume is just super low. Could it be a Brook Lopez thing where he's not a shooter until he goes to a team that suddenly tells him to launch and then out of nowhere he's a stretch 5? I guess it's not impossible, the percentages so far in his career are solid enough despite the low volume and he's a good FT shooter, but it's not something you want to be just assuming as a gimme. Would be an absolute career year for him as a shooter if he was even just 2 attempts a game, and the effect that has on spacing is basically zero.

I think for Jonas it depends what you mean by good three point shooter. Generally speaking, his percentages have been good but the volume has been pretty low.

Overall career: 98/274 from 3 (35.8%) in 621 games - 0.4 attempts per game. If you ignore his first 5 seasons, where he just never attempted any at all, then you get 97/270 (35.9%) in 258 games, or about 1 per game.

He actually had very arguably his best 3pt shooting years in Memphis, compared to Toronto. The volume is just super low. Could it be a Brook Lopez thing where he's not a shooter until he goes to a team that suddenly tells him to launch and then out of nowhere he's a stretch 5? I guess it's not impossible, the percentages so far in his career are solid enough despite the low volume and he's a good FT shooter, but it's not something you want to be just assuming as a gimme. Would be an absolute career year for him as a shooter if he was even just 2 attempts a game, and the effect that has on spacing is basically zero.

Yeah i?ll admit i went to wikepedia because his name is hard to spell. Here is what i saw:

I was responding to a post about free throw percentage, adding Valančiūnas and dropping Adams will help this team in that area immensely.

Yeah i?ll admit i went to wikepedia because his name is hard to spell. Here is what i saw:

Yeah, he shot 50% from 3 that year.

1/2 from 3 that season

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Now hopefully we can get Lauri and I?ll be happy with the team.

C: Jonas, Hayes, Willy
    PF: Zion, Lauri, Gabriel
    SF: BI, Murphy, Naji
    SG: NAW, Temple, Didi
    PG: Graham, Satoransky, Kira

That?s a decent 3 deep depth chart IMO. Jonas is a huge upgrade at center. Lauri would be a huge upgrade as stretch 4/5 off the bench. Graham is likely a push at point guard. Now if Kira takes a big sophomore leap and NAW takes a big 3rd year leap we could be a way better team. I think Temple and Murphy should help with our perimeter defense. Willie Green should be a huge upgrade at coach as well. I?m liking the squad even though I wish we could of gotten an upgrade at point guard. I still like the 3 guys we have since they all are different types of lead guard.
    Depending on late moves, I could actually see the depth chart looking more like?

PG: Graham, Lewis, Satoransky
    SG: NAW, Marshall, Louzada
    SF: Ingram, Murphy, Temple
    PF: Williamson, Jones, Gabriel
    C: Valanciunas, Hayes, Hernangomez

Not that all those guys will see minutes, but I think the two rooks are mature enough to crack the rotation, at some point. If we bring back Hart or add Hield or Markkanen obviously things would change up?
    Last edited by new city champ; 08-11-2021 at 01:52 AM.

Dept Charts are more for football IMO. In a game that is positionless, especially in staggered lineups, I think its more productive to imagine rotations. So, what is the...

Starting Lineup:

Staggered Lineup #1 (5 min mark of 1st to the end of the quarter)

Staggered Lineup #2 (Beginning of the 2nd quarter lineup)

Finishing lineup

Usually teams go 9 deep. Maybe 10 at the most. And when you do that exercise, I think it is pretty to see that a "backup PF" isnt as needed as when you do the football style depth chart
    @mcnamara247

Thread Information