.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 226

Thread: How do we reach the next level ?

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    What exactly are you basing your faith in Gentry on?

    His track record?

    Do you think he could get more out of Bledsoe this year than he got out of Holiday last season?

    I beg to differ with you about SVG not putting the players in position to win games. How many double digit leads have the players squandered this year?

    I think we all have to come to terms with the roster, OVERALL; it's woefully weak.
    This team has been able to get double digit leads in spite of SVG coaching not because of it. We have 2 allstars, one that is virtually unstoppable. The roster may not be the best, but its at least worth a 8 seed in the playoffs.

    Only 5 players can be on the floor at a time. Is it the players fault that SVG opted to overplay Bledsoe and Adams for "defense" to try to protect leads, as the offense stagnates and allow teams back in the game? How many times have we seen in the 4th quarter Zion on the bench and not being brought back until 4-5 min remaining? Players fault too? So when we're up double digits its all because of SVG but when the games get tight and the necessary adjustments are not made its because of the players?

    I'll ask again, what are the positives that SVG brings? If its because of him that we've been up double digits, how? What did he do to get us there?

    I'll agree with you that the roster is overall weak, but it also hasn't been fully utilized either. We've lost far too many games that we should've won. Youth is always the excuse even though we've lost to young teams. Griff deserves some blame too. I just don't see how we get to the next level under the current leadership. Waiting too long to move on from the past leadership is how we lost AD. I don't think we should wait nor have the current leadership given us any reason to believe we should besides the fact that they talk a good game but produce bad results.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    hart and lonzo are up in the air.....imo our 9 or 10 man rotation next season will almost be the same as this season with a rookie as a new addition....so will the rookie make us better as some of you think because of how stack yall say the draft is?....

    maybe we add one FA to replace hart or lonzo but we will have the same players in that rotation and coach that we have now imo lol....so how will we be better?.....will the rookie make an impact?...will lonzo replacement be the 3rd star?...
    I think there will be major changes this summer. For Instance:

    Adams gone - trade
    Bledsoe gone - trade
    Perhaps Lonzo gone (via sign and trade)
    It wouldn't surprise me to see either Hart (via sign and trade) or NAW traded (not both) (we don't need two back up 2's who are iffy shooters.
    We should try to move up in draft (I would love to get Suggs but that is likely a pipedream)
    We have to get a stretch 4/5 in FA

    So, I think there will be a lot of player movement this Summer.
    Disclaimer: I would never denigrate or defame Zion Williamson as a man or as a basketball player; he will go down as an NBA great and perhaps a Top 10+ player of all time. Any inference derived from any of my posts to the contrary is your mischaracterization of my words, or a sign of insecurity on your part (perhaps both).

    Respectfully,

    AISI

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    This team has been able to get double digit leads in spite of SVG coaching not because of it. We have 2 allstars, one that is virtually unstoppable. The roster may not be the best, but its at least worth a 8 seed in the playoffs.

    Only 5 players can be on the floor at a time. Is it the players fault that SVG opted to overplay Bledsoe and Adams for "defense" to try to protect leads, as the offense stagnates and allow teams back in the game? How many times have we seen in the 4th quarter Zion on the bench and not being brought back until 4-5 min remaining? Players fault too? So when we're up double digits its all because of SVG but when the games get tight and the necessary adjustments are not made its because of the players?

    I'll ask again, what are the positives that SVG brings? If its because of him that we've been up double digits, how? What did he do to get us there?

    I'll agree with you that the roster is overall weak, but it also hasn't been fully utilized either. We've lost far too many games that we should've won. Youth is always the excuse even though we've lost to young teams. Griff deserves some blame too. I just don't see how we get to the next level under the current leadership. Waiting too long to move on from the past leadership is how we lost AD. I don't think we should wait nor have the current leadership given us any reason to believe we should besides the fact that they talk a good game but produce bad results.
    Gotcha....

    SVG gets no credit for the leads and all the blame for the losses.

    You say the reason we lost AD was poor leadership, but in the same breath claim that Gentry would have this group in the playoffs? That's a head scratcher.

    Me thinks your bias is showing. LMAO

    (PS: Again, I'll ask, what is the basis for your belief in Gentry?)

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Gotcha....

    SVG gets no credit for the leads and all the blame for the losses.

    You say the reason we lost AD was poor leadership, but in the same breath claim that Gentry would have this group in the playoffs? That's a head scratcher.

    Me thinks your bias is showing. LMAO

    (PS: Again, I'll ask, what is the basis for your belief in Gentry?)
    Lol you just flipped my reasoning. Why can't you name any positives for SVG? You can think of every excuse in the book for him but you can't think of any positive? Thats very telling.

    I don't have a belief in Gentry. I clearly said he isn't the right coach for this team. Bringing up Gentry isn't making SVG look any better. If SVG deserves grace then you should be able to list positives he bring and not just a bunch of excuses of why he underperformed with a healthy roster.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Got to love how Monty built up the Suns fairly quick. Suns organization in great shape.
    I think Chris Paul had a lot to do with that.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    I think Chris Paul had a lot to do with that.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    And the Pelicans passed on him. Instead we got the Bledsoe contract.

  7. #57
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    3,030
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Lol you just flipped my reasoning. Why can't you name any positives for SVG? You can think of every excuse in the book for him but you can't think of any positive? Thats very telling.

    I don't have a belief in Gentry. I clearly said he isn't the right coach for this team. Bringing up Gentry isn't making SVG look any better. If SVG deserves grace then you should be able to list positives he bring and not just a bunch of excuses of why he underperformed with a healthy roster.

    is it fair to judge stan in this year when he dont have a defensive minded team or with players that will not be here during his tenure?....

    one positive is he is a defensive minded coach who has had good defenses while he was coaching in the past....

    what 3 coaches who you would have hired over stan?.....names...you cant call for people to list stan positives without naming coaches that you would have like us to hired to judge them on....

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    is it fair to judge stan in this year when he dont have a defensive minded team or with players that will not be here during his tenure?....

    one positive is he is a defensive minded coach who has had good defenses while he was coaching in the past....

    what 3 coaches who you would have hired over stan?.....names...you cant call for people to list stan positives without naming coaches that you would have like us to hired to judge them on....
    Never forget we interviewed a guy that specializes in player development and defense but went with the retread instead.

    https://www.mavs.com/team/coaches/jamahl-mosley/ I would have loved him here.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-07-2021 at 04:27 PM.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Lol you just flipped my reasoning. Why can't you name any positives for SVG? You can think of every excuse in the book for him but you can't think of any positive? Thats very telling.

    I don't have a belief in Gentry. I clearly said he isn't the right coach for this team. Bringing up Gentry isn't making SVG look any better. If SVG deserves grace then you should be able to list positives he bring and not just a bunch of excuses of why he underperformed with a healthy roster.
    I didn't say this...you did.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I think at a minimum, Gentry would have us in the playoffs.
    You clearly stated that Gentry, who couldn't get an alleged generational talent and a highly regarded VETERAN in the playoffs but once (thanks to Boogie, Mirotic and Rando), could get this group in the playoffs; not me.

    Now, I'm not defending SVG, but to say Gentry could develop this young bunch into a playoff contender is just nonsensical. What young player has improved under Gentry tutelage? Surely you don't claim that AD is AD because of Gentry...or maybe you do. We have two reliable (when he's not Bozo...three) NBA Players in our staring lineup. If Steven doesn't have at least one foot in the paint he's useless. The other night he made Olynyk look like Larry Bird. Bledsoe is a joke. And as I eluded to, the other starter is either Lonzo or Bozo depending on the game.

    Bottom line: We have to blow up this team this summer.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-07-2021 at 04:27 PM.

  10. #60
    SVG got his one championship with Alonzo,Shaq, and Wade. What has he done since?

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    is it fair to judge stan in this year when he dont have a defensive minded team or with players that will not be here during his tenure?....

    one positive is he is a defensive minded coach who has had good defenses while he was coaching in the past....

    what 3 coaches who you would have hired over stan?.....names...you cant call for people to list stan positives without naming coaches that you would have like us to hired to judge them on....
    7 of the 9 guys in our rotation are defensive minded. The only ones who aren't is BI and Zion. And JJ when he played.. That excuse doesn't work. The bad defense is mind boggling because that was the one thing he was supposed to be good at. He hasn't had a good defensive team since he had Dwight Howard in an era where scoring 108 pts was considered top 3.

    I think its fair to ask for positives 46 games into the season. We shouldn't have to rely on the past. He should have some positives after 46 games.

    Coaches we could've hired are:
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Juwan Howard
    Chris Finch
    Kenny Atkinson

    All would've been better choices than SVG imo.

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I didn't say this...you did.



    You clearly stated that Gentry, who couldn't get an alleged generational talent and a highly regarded VETERAN in the playoffs but once (thanks to Boogie, Mirotic and Rando), could get this group in the playoffs; not me.

    Now, I'm not defending SVG, but to say Gentry could develop this young bunch into a playoff contender is just nonsensical. What young player has improved under Gentry tutelage? Surely you don't claim that AD is AD because of Gentry...or maybe you do. We have two reliable (when he's not Bozo...three) NBA Players in our staring lineup. If Steven doesn't have at least one foot in the paint he's useless. The other night he made Olynyk look like Larry Bird. Bledsoe is a joke. And as I eluded to, the other starter is either Lonzo or Bozo depending on the game.

    Bottom line: We have to blow up this team this summer.
    So I guess we'll just pretend BI didn't win Most Improved under Gentry.
    Gentry got an identical record with pretty much no Zion and multiple other injuries. I think he could get this completely healthy squad to the playoffs.

    So your argument is this roster is worse than the Spurs, Mavs, Grizzlies, and Warriors despite them all facing significant injury woes all season. Cmon man. How much is SVG paying you? lol

    See that Bottom line is the issue. We don't need to blow up the team to build around a below mediocre coach with no clear cut coaching style, who his supporters can't even name anything positive he has done this season. The core is solid. The coach is the issue. We need additional pieces not a complete makeover. This has happened at every single team SVG has been at. He becomes the issue. Then he blames the players. The FO begins to move players to appease SVG and then the teams are left decimated when they realize that he was the issue the whole time. Orlando and Detroit still haven't recovered since him. Skip Bayless even said the same recently, he said he never liked the SVG hiring because he gets to be annoying to players after awhile. And now you're saying blow up the team to fit him... it's already beginning.

  13. #63
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    2,217
    You have to credit Stan for the development of the young guys. Benching Hayes was apparently the best thing for him. Zion is breaking a lot of records - so Stan gets no credit for that? Naw looks like he belongs and Kira is showing potential

    Stan is preaching defense and Zion has a lot of work to do here but I am really impressed with Hayes and Naw defensive improvements

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    So I guess we'll just pretend BI didn't win Most Improved under Gentry.
    Gentry got an identical record with pretty much no Zion and multiple other injuries. I think he could get this completely healthy squad to the playoffs.

    So your argument is this roster is worse than the Spurs, Mavs, Grizzlies, and Warriors despite them all facing significant injury woes all season. Cmon man. How much is SVG paying you? lol

    See that Bottom line is the issue. We don't need to blow up the team to build around a below mediocre coach with no clear cut coaching style, who his supporters can't even name anything positive he has done this season. The core is solid. The coach is the issue. We need additional pieces not a complete makeover. This has happened at every single team SVG has been at. He becomes the issue. Then he blames the players. The FO begins to move players to appease SVG and then the teams are left decimated when they realize that he was the issue the whole time. Orlando and Detroit still haven't recovered since him. Skip Bayless even said the same recently, he said he never liked the SVG hiring because he gets to be annoying to players after awhile. And now you're saying blow up the team to fit him... it's already beginning.
    Remind me, who on this year's team is as good a guard (or defender) as Jrue Holiday?

    You only have two players on this roster who could start anywhere in the league.

    Adams and Lonzo need the right fit to even be considered for a hand full of teams.

    Bledsoe is either (a) a diva who doesn't want to be here; (b) a player on the decline; (c) over-rated; (d) all of the above. I opt for 'd'.

    I attribute BI's improvement to his health and work ethic.

    And right you are...I think, as constructed, this roster sucks.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-07-2021 at 05:18 PM.

  15. #65
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,725
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    And the Pelicans passed on him. Instead we got the Bledsoe contract.
    When did they pass on him?

  16. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Remind me, who on this year's team is as good a guard (or defender) as Jrue Holiday?

    You only have two players on this roster who could start anywhere in the league.

    Adams and Lonzo need the right fit to even be considered for a hand full of teams.

    Bledsoe is either (a) a diva who doesn't want to be here; (b) a player on the decline; (c) over-rated; (d) all of the above. I opt for 'd'.

    I attribute BI's improvement to his health and work ethic.
    Okay I understand how you feel about the roster. But you're not naming any positives for SVG is very telling. Memphis, San Antonio and Dallas all have 1 player that can start on any team in the league. Yet they are better than us. SVG isn't some rookie coach. He's 60 years old. So you're willing to mortgage the future of this team for some retread that you can't even name positives for? Just blow it up?

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Okay I understand how you feel about the roster. But you're not naming any positives for SVG is very telling. Memphis, San Antonio and Dallas all have 1 player that can start on any team in the league. Yet they are better than us. SVG isn't some rookie coach. He's 60 years old. So you're willing to mortgage the future of this team for some retread that you can't even name positives for? Just blow it up?
    Have we seen any improvement in NAW?

    Have we seen any improvement in JAX?

    Is Kira coming along?

    Who is the leading rebounding guard in the league?

    The productivity offensively is virtually the same as last year (115.1 LY / 115.0 TY); but even with the loss of Holiday, defensively we are a full 2 points better off (117.1 LY / 115.1 TY).

    Net Rating this year - 16th. Net Rating last year - 20th.

    We are currently the 3rd best rebounding team and lead the league in offensive rebounding.

    Last year we were # 2 in Turnovers; this year we improved to # 12. (2.1 less per game).
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-07-2021 at 05:43 PM.

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Have we seen any improvement in NAW?

    Have we seen any improvement in JAX?

    Is Kira coming along?

    Who is the leading rebounding guard in the league?

    The productivity offensively is virtually the same as last year (115.1 LY / 115.0 TY); but even with the loss of Holiday, defensively we are a full 2 points better off (117.1 LY / 115.1 TY).

    Net Rating this year - 16th. Net Rating last year - 20th.
    You can't use individual improvements after you dismissed it for BI. What about his coaching has made NAW, Hayes and Kira better? What positions are he putting them in to succeed? You really can't break down SVG coaching style and name any positives, that much is clear now.

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    You can't use individual improvements after you dismissed it for BI. What about his coaching has made NAW, Hayes and Kira better? What positions are he putting them in to succeed? You really can't break down SVG coaching style and name any positives, that much is clear now.
    I just did. Comprehension seems to be an issue here. I just documented the improvements.

    Gentry was here five years and sucked

    SVG is here for five months with a roster worse than anything Gentry ever had, and you're ready for his head. LMAO

    Sorry, your bias shows.

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    When did they pass on him?
    We had a thread on it . Russlo reported it

    https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/09/13...or-chris-paul/

    https://pelicandebrief.com/2020/11/1...rs-chris-paul/

    https://www.newsbreak.com/news/20599...for-chris-paul



    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-07-2021 at 05:53 PM.

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I just did. Comprehension seems to be an issue here.

    Gentry was here five years and sucked

    SVG is here for five months with a roster worse than anything Gentry ever had, and you're ready for his head. LMAO

    Sorry, your bias shows.
    You posting stats mean absolutely nothing because the team is underperforming. The fact that you feel the only way you can boast about SVG is to compare him to Gentry says everything we need to know. Its your bias that is showing. You can't be objective when it comes to SVG he must be your family member. SVG just hoping to ride Zion coattails to a legacy. He needs to be fired before he ruins this great core we have together. If you disagree, cool, name the positives of his coaching style. Don't compare him to the last fired coach. That literally makes no sense.

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    You posting stats mean absolutely nothing because the team is underperforming. The fact that you feel the only way you can boast about SVG is to compare him to Gentry says everything we need to know. Its your bias that is showing. You can't be objective when it comes to SVG he must be your family member. SVG just hoping to ride Zion coattails to a legacy. He needs to be fired before he ruins this great core we have together. If you disagree, cool, name the positives of his coaching style. Don't compare him to the last fired coach. That literally makes no sense.
    You drew the comparison, not me, remember?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I think at a minimum, Gentry would have us in the playoffs.
    You were the one that compared him to a fired coach, not me, Tex!! I only called you on it. Objectivity is your issue; not mine.

    ....and perhaps the team is performing up to its ability, which is sorry.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-07-2021 at 06:00 PM.

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    You drew the comparison, not me, remember?



    You were the one that compared him to a fired coach, not me, Tex!! I only called you on it.
    I was literally asked the question "where would Gentry have this team completely healthy?" and I answered the question. I did not bring up Gentry. Don't tell half truths and purposefully put things out of context.

  24. #74
    Tex, there is a difference between a:

    Declarative Sentence: States a fact or opinion.
    Interrogative Sentence: Asks a question.

    It's third grade English.

    Aside: Interrogatives use a question mark

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Tex, there is a difference between a:

    Declarative Sentence: States a fact or opinion.
    Interrogative Sentence: Asks a question.

    It's third grade English.

    Aside: Interrogatives use a question mark
    This is what I replied to since you are choosing to be dishonest.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    question...do you think if gentry were coaching this healthy team that we would be a top 5 seed right now or in the playoff seeding as of today?...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •