Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we reach the next level ?

We can go back and forth on this for 30 pages but Taker is right. You got to start from the top. Who is doing the moves? His seat might be getting warm.

Remember, Tex, you claimed that Gentry was capable of more. Then I asked...

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

What exactly are you basing your faith in Gentry on?

His track record?

Do you think he could get more out of Bledsoe this year than he got out of Holiday last season?

I beg to differ with you about SVG not putting the players in position to win games. How many double digit leads have the players squandered this year?

I think we all have to come to terms with the roster, OVERALL; it's woefully weak.
    You are all over the place, Tex.

I think that part of the problem is kind of a sense of warped expectation.

Griffin came in and traded AD and then the next season traded Jrue Holiday. Within the span of a single 12 month period, the longest tenured Pelican was suddenly a 20 year old who had played less than half a season. It was clear that whatever pretty words Griff fed the media, we were in for a period of rebuild. He talked a lot of game about trying to compete instead of bottoming out, playing games that matter, et cetera, and of course there's value in that, but at the end of the day when you refit a team so dramatically in such a short space of time and then hire a new coach you are rebuilding and you are going to be not-very-good for a while.

That's where we are. We're not good. We're rebuilding.

How does a rebuilding team get good again? They acquire more talent, as the underlying baseline. It doesn't matter how clever your coach is or how many draft picks you have in the bank, if you don't have good NBA players on your roster you will not win games flat out, simple as.

Acquiring that talent, either by waiting for the guys to come onto the market and trading for them, internal player development, or drafting, takes some time. It sucks to wait, and people have been fed a lot of false expectations because of Griff's insistence that we're trying to compete, but the reality is that we just have to be a patient.

Next season marks the time when things need to really start solidifying, because by then we will know what is happening with Hart and Lonzo, we will have had multiple full seasons of Ingram, we will have had (hopefully) a full season + a training camp with the new coach, and therefore we will be able to properly evaluate the direction of the team. If we still suck midway three next year then I can see the questioning ramping up big time, because we need a direction clearly being put into action. But I think we do have to have that patience.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Griffin came in and traded AD and then the next season traded Jrue Holiday. Within the span of a single 12 month period, the longest tenured Pelican was suddenly a 20 year old who had played less than half a season. It was clear that whatever pretty words Griff fed the media, we were in for a period of rebuild. He talked a lot of game about trying to compete instead of bottoming out, playing games that matter, et cetera, and of course there's value in that, but at the end of the day when you refit a team so dramatically in such a short space of time and then hire a new coach you are rebuilding and you are going to be not-very-good for a while.

How does a rebuilding team get good again? They acquire more talent, as the underlying baseline. It doesn't matter how clever your coach is or how many draft picks you have in the bank, if you don't have good NBA players on your roster you will not win games flat out, simple as.

Acquiring that talent, either by waiting for the guys to come onto the market and trading for them, internal player development, or drafting, takes some time. It sucks to wait, and people have been fed a lot of false expectations because of Griff's insistence that we're trying to compete, but the reality is that we just have to be a patient.

Next season marks the time when things need to really start solidifying, because by then we will know what is happening with Hart and Lonzo, we will have had multiple full seasons of Ingram, we will have had (hopefully) a full season + a training camp with the new coach, and therefore we will be able to properly evaluate the direction of the team. If we still suck midway three next year then I can see the questioning ramping up big time, because we need a direction clearly being put into action. But I think we do have to have that patience.

im with you on the patience thang.....im giving this whole season a pass because of everything that went on with this season...

do you think we are starting next season with the same starting 5 and same bench players in naw,,lewis and jax?.........

do naw replace lonzo?.....

do we draft bpa or do we draft for need looking at how our roster might be the same next season?.......who that rookie might be if for need?.........do we move up in the draft...

i honestly believe we will have 2 new faces in the rotation next season to start the season off with......if so is that building in the right direction?...

Tex,

Zion missed six free throws in first half tonight. That should be enough to get SVG fired, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    im with you on the patience thang.....im giving this whole season a pass because of everything that went on with this season...

do you think we are starting next season with the same starting 5 and same bench players in naw,,lewis and jax?.........

do naw replace lonzo?.....

do we draft bpa or do we draft for need looking at how our roster might be the same next season?.......who that rookie might be if for need?.........do we move up in the draft...

i honestly believe we will have 2 new faces in the rotation next season to start the season off with......if so is that building in the right direction?...
    Always draft best player available, unless you have very specific circumstances. We need talent, flat out, at almost every spot. BPA.

Heading into the summer of 2019, not even two full years ago, the Phoenix Suns were coming off a season where they went 19-63. They ended up with the 11th overall pick in that draft, and were roundly laughed at for taking a limited spot-up shooting forward who most felt would go at the end of the first round, at best. The Pels, of course, got the first overall pick and a player tabbed for generational greatness + plus a huge haul of draft picks and prospects from the Lakers, one of whom became an all-star the following year and the other two who are considered, at minimum, solid rotation guys on a winning team.

Yet today, not even two years later, the Suns sit near the top of the tough Western conference and it's the Pels who don't seem appreciably better despite all the largess that landed in their laps. This is legit disappointing. I'm not even asking for us to be where the Suns are--though their transformation shows a quick rebuild is possible in the NBA in spite of what all the "process" fan boys preach. My "warped expectation" is for the Pels to be .500 or better, where, say the Grizzlies or Mavs now sit, two teams who were also bottom dwellers in the summer of '19. But we are not. The Suns are so far ahead of us they are out of sight and the Mavs, Grizzlies and several others are pulling away down the stretch.

One of the benefits of league pass I like is re-watching games while listening to the other teams' announcers. It gives a useful outside perspective. I promise it is rare for a game to go by without the opposing commentators looking at the Pelicans and asking: "I can't figure out why this team isn't better? Something is wrong here." I share their puzzlement. Did I miss something? Did we somehow sign up for the 8-year rebuild while other teams took the 3-year plan?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    To get to the next level our team needs to actually contest three point shots.

We should sign Mike Conley. Yes, old guy Conley. He?s an amazing player and will be good for a good while. If we can?t get Conley I?d try getting TJ McCollum. Let Lonzo go. He?s not interested in staying in Nola. Maybe try a sign and trade with Miami for Duncan Robinson... I also like Diallo from the Pistons. Or Oubre from GSW. Otto Porter is another player I?d consider trying to get in offseason.

Zion has been an absolute DISASTER on defense. It?s inexcusable how terrible his defense is. I would demand he learn how to play better defense. He is part of the reason our defense sucks so bad.

Also, we gotta do well in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Yet today, not even two years later, the Suns sit near the top of the tough Western conference and it's the Pels who don't seem appreciably better despite all the largess that landed in their laps. This is legit disappointing. I'm not even asking for us to be where the Suns are--though their transformation shows a quick rebuild is possible in the NBA in spite of what all the "process" fan boys preach. My "warped expectation" is for the Pels to be .500 or better, where, say the Grizzlies or Mavs now sit, two teams who were also bottom dwellers in the summer of '19. But we are not. The Suns are so far ahead of us they are out of sight and the Mavs, Grizzlies and several others are pulling away down the stretch.

One of the benefits of league pass I like is re-watching games while listening to the other teams' announcers. It gives a useful outside perspective. I promise it is rare for a game to go by without the opposing commentators looking at the Pelicans and asking: "I can't figure out why this team isn't better? Something is wrong here." I share their puzzlement. Did I miss something? Did we somehow sign up for the 8-year rebuild while other teams took the 3-year plan?
    The Suns acquired Chris Paul. We didn't.

The Suns saw outlier internal development from Mikal Bridges, one of their wings. We didn't see the same from, for example, Hart.

Instead, we saw regression from guys like Redick and Melli.

It's nothing to do with a 3 year plan VS an 8 year plan. You have a plan. If you get lucky and all your guys progress linearly together and you cash in your assets to acquire the Greatest Point Guard of All Time, yeah your plan speeds up a bit. If you have internal regression on a bunch of your players and you hold your assets out waiting for a later trade, it takes a bit longer, obviously.

There's a lot wrong with this team. Lots needs fixing. But you can't just grit your teeth and get mad and scream at the team to get better, it doesn't work like that. The players have to take the leap, or you have to get the lucky draft pick, or you have to cash in on the guy when he becomes available. Our players didn't take the leap, we didn't cash in on the guy, and our draft pick - while I think Kira is going to be fine - didn't leap up 10 spots in the lottery by luck. So we didn't fast-track anything this year. Does that suck? Yeah. But it's entirely understandable why and it's not a mystery or a confusion.

If KAT becomes available in the offseason and we cash in and acquire him and we see internal improvement over the summer from Jax and NAW and Kira and then somehow despite improved play from those guys and additional talent we still suck, then yeah that'll be a confusing mystery. As of right now, us being bad makes complete sense.

Points where I guess we just disagree:

1. You write as if us sucking like this was inevitable. It wasn't and there should be accountability for that outcome.

2. As of, say, June 1, 2019, we certainly had as many if not more assets than the Suns, Mavs or Grizzlies, yet they have all improved more than we have.

3. You write as if it is irrational to be disappointed about that outcome. I think it's very rational. Undergirding your position, I guess, is the belief that I and apparently many, many other people, have misjudged the talent level on this team. I disagree. I think the team has significantly underperformed its level of talent.

4. Even if conceded, for the sake of argument, that the talent level is low, who is responsible for this situation and why aren't you judging them by the performance of the peers (i.e. teams that also sucked two years ago) in rebuilding their rosters? Is that not fair? If not, why not? Again, two years ago the Suns finished 19-63. Today they are 36-14. Two years ago the Mavs finished 33-49. Today they are 28-22. Two years ago the Grizzlies finished 33-49. Today they are 26-23 despite missing one of their best players all season.

Sorry, given all the Pels have received I don't think expectations that they would be a better than .500 club right are at all warped. I actually think accepting that they are 22-29 and out of the playoffs is much more bent. What's more I think even people inside the organization believe the team has substantially underperformed their own expectations, to say nothing of fans, the media or keyboard jockeys like us...

Heading into the summer of 2019, not even two full years ago, the Phoenix Suns were coming off a season where they went 19-63. They ended up with the 11th overall pick in that draft, and were roundly laughed at for taking a limited spot-up shooting forward who most felt would go at the end of the first round, at best. The Pels, of course, got the first overall pick and a player tabbed for generational greatness + plus a huge haul of draft picks and prospects from the Lakers, one of whom became an all-star the following year and the other two who are considered, at minimum, solid rotation guys on a winning team.

In what universe did it take the Suns 3 years to rebuild, they haven't made the playoffs since 2010.

Points where I guess we just disagree:

1. You write as if us sucking like this was inevitable. It wasn't and there should be accountability for that outcome.

2. As of, say, June 1, 2019, we certainly had as many if not more assets than the Suns, Mavs or Grizzlies, yet they have all improved more than we have.

3. You write as if it is irrational to be disappointed about that outcome. I think it's very rational. Undergirding your position, I guess, is the belief that I and apparently many, many other people, have misjudged the talent level on this team. I disagree. I think the team has significantly underperformed its level of talent.

4. Even if conceded, for the sake of argument, that the talent level is low, who is responsible for this situation and why aren't you judging them by the performance of the peers (i.e. teams that also sucked two years ago) in rebuilding their rosters? Is that not fair? If not, why not? Again, two years ago the Suns finished 19-63. Today they are 36-14. Two years ago the Mavs finished 33-49. Today they are 28-22. Two years ago the Grizzlies finished 33-49. Today they are 26-23 despite missing one of their best players all season.

Sorry, given all the Pels have received I don't think expectations that they would be a better than .500 club right are at all warped. I actually think accepting that they are 22-29 and out of the playoffs is much more bent. What's more I think even people inside the organization believe the team has substantially underperformed their own expectations, to say nothing of fans, the media or keyboard jockeys like us...
    It's not inevitable that we suck, it's inevitable that we suck if the talent level on the team wasn't improved in some manner. It wasn't, so we're not better.

And, new city champ points out, the Suns rebuild didn't happen in one or two years. It's been a huge rebuild that's been going on for years and years: they're finally ready to make the playoffs this year. Why? Cause they've improved their roster enough now to warrant it, with the CP3 + Mikal Bridges improvements tipping them over the top.

The talent level is low. Who is responsible? Griff, in large part. However, that is part of the sucking strategy: when you trade away your two best players in subsequent offseasons you are accepting a degree of being bad for a while, I said that already. The question is how quickly can we rebound from that.

Two years ago the Grizzlies finished 33-49, today they're 26-23. I wonder if anything happened at all to explain that? Maybe they lost their two best players in Gasol and Conley and then saw massive overall improvements in the team by signing/drafting a ton of really talented players, that might explain it.

Similarly, I wonder if the Mavericks did anything in the last few years to improve dramatically. Maybe traded for an all-star big and saw internal improvement take one of their players to MVP level? Might explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    In what universe did it take the Suns 3 years to rebuild, they haven't made the playoffs since 2010.
    They don’t want to hear it. Or the Memphis Grizzlies either. Or the Atlanta Hawks.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-08-2021 at 06:38 AM.

The Vegas over/under was 36.5 - and that had built into it that injuries and covid would occur, not that we would be the healthiest team in the league through the first half of the season. Yet, we were nowhere near that number despite amazing fortune.

Its lazy to say that we werent supposed to be good. Maybe not great, but with amazing injury luck at least average. Heck, the Grizzlies - who nobody would have said had more talent thatn the Pels heading into the year - have been missing their 2nd best player all year are 5 games ahead of us

Its a defense mechanism to say this team is rebuilding and we shouldnt have expected a good team. No - the Thunder are rebuilding. THAT is what a rebuilding team looks like, and until they completely shut it down to tank, they were winning as much as the Pels.

Gotta at least be intellectually honest. Don't just type what makes you feel better by justifying what is a decade plus trend of this franchise grossly underachieving.
    @mcnamara247

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The Vegas over/under was 36.5 - and that had built into it that injuries and covid would occur, not that we would be the healthiest team in the league through the first half of the season. Yet, we were nowhere near that number despite amazing fortune.

Its lazy to say that we werent supposed to be good. Maybe not great, but with amazing injury luck at least average. Heck, the Grizzlies - who nobody would have said had more talent thatn the Pels heading into the year - have been missing their 2nd best player all year are 5 games ahead of us

Its a defense mechanism to say this team is rebuilding and we shouldnt have expected a good team. No - the Thunder are rebuilding. THAT is what a rebuilding team looks like, and until they completely shut it down to tank, they were winning as much as the Pels.

Gotta at least be intellectually honest. Don't just type what makes you feel better by justifying what is a decade plus trend of this franchise grossly underachieving.
    Amen! Couldn?t have said it better. People want to feel better about constant losing by saying it?s expected. The truth is they should be winning a lot more.

If your argument is that Griff committed to a rebuild with 2 all stars on his team. He should be fired. That is completely inexplicable. I don't care how old they are. They are allstars. Don't waste any years of their careers.

I’ll reserve judgment until the 2022 trade deadline. As for the present, I just want to see continued development from Zion, Jax, Kira, NAW, and Lonzo.

My two cents.

1) Let the young guys develop including Zion. That should be the focus for the rest of the year. Sucks that all of them but Zion is hurt right now.
    2) Don?t overpay Ball or Hart. The team needs to have a figure in mind for both, and it shouldn?t be a high figure for either (IMO) and if some other team offers more than that figure let them walk. IMO both are role players, and role players aren?t getting $20 plus million on an championship caliper team.
    3) Surround Zion and BI with 3 & D players when possible. I think that NAW and Kira will be 3&D players so that helps. But they need as many as they can get their hands on.
    4) To speed this up, if possible use the money that you saved from not overpaying Ball and/or Hart and get you a veteran closer on this team. IMO that is the biggest missing piece on this team for years. We do not have that guy that is willing to make that shot. Not saying Ingram and/or Zion won?t be that guy eventually, but right now they aren?t.
    5) Hopefully with a full offseason, SVG can finally get his defense pushed into the psyche of this team. I?m a firm believer that if this team can be just a mid level defensive team, then they are in the playoffs. This has to be THE focus of this coaching staff this offseason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    I’ll reserve judgment until the 2022 trade deadline. As for the present, I just want to see continued development from Zion, Jax, Kira, NAW, and Lonzo.
    This, and still some development from BI especially in closing out the games

I wouldnt have hated this record the last two years if we accumulated assets and didnt give any away. Again, like OKC. But we made buyer moves (Favors, JJ, Adams) and while all were small, they added up. Could have taken the same cap space and taken on Iggy or Horford, etc and gained picks instead of sending out a first and 4 seconds for Favors and Adams (not to mention the seconds you could have got for Hill)

If we were really rebuilding and had an extra two firsts and six seconds in the chamber by using that cap space differently, then I would have ZERO problem with where we are record wise and development wise. But we made buyer moves. We gave up assets. We pushed up right against the tax and couldnt use the MLE or BAE. All that for what? Two non-playoff seasons. You could have accomplished that without giving up picks.

Its a failure by any and all measures the last two years. The best thing you could say is that Zion has improved, but the reality is that a talent like that would have always been elite regardless of the situation his first two years. Would be much nicer to have him and way more flexibility and picks to add talent around him, wouldnt it?

I wouldnt have hated this record the last two years if we accumulated assets and didnt give any away. Again, like OKC. But we made buyer moves (Favors, JJ, Adams) and while all were small, they added up. Could have taken the same cap space and taken on Iggy or Horford, etc and gained picks instead of sending out a first and 4 seconds for Favors and Adams (not to mention the seconds you could have got for Hill)

If we were really rebuilding and had an extra two firsts and six seconds in the chamber by using that cap space differently, then I would have ZERO problem with where we are record wise and development wise. But we made buyer moves. We gave up assets. We pushed up right against the tax and couldnt use the MLE or BAE. All that for what? Two non-playoff seasons. You could have accomplished that without giving up picks.

Its a failure by any and all measures the last two years. The best thing you could say is that Zion has improved, but the reality is that a talent like that would have always been elite regardless of the situation his first two years. Would be much nicer to have him and way more flexibility and picks to add talent around him, wouldnt it?
    Should have kept Kenrich too. We still on same page?

Agree with the sentiment. I never understood the Adams trade. That was a mistake IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Agree with the sentiment. I never understood the Adams trade. That was a mistake IMO.
    It was mainly a mistake because we didn’t offload Bledsoe. The overpay would have made a bit more sense if we had gotten rid of his contract as well. OKC skinned us and ran. We shouldn’t have made that deal unless they took him.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would love to pull up that original thread because it felt at the time like there was 3 of us (at most) really against it, 60 percent saying it was fine, 20 percent who didnt like it at first but talked themselves into it being fine within two days, and 20 percent who liked it. I want to see receipts

Basketball Guru

agree...before the injuries this team should have been in the 5-8 playoff seed......

loosing to the t-wolves twice while that team was short handed was rock bottom for me......close losses to denver,,portland.....the first pacers game were also a emotional drainer....

i expected to be going to playoff games this season....hell, ingram had me sold when he told griff and co. that he dont intend on missing the playoffs again after the bubble disgrace.....

Thread Information