Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's missing for this team to make a Jazz like leap?

So wait let me see if I understand this.

Gentry didn't adjust his system, he just didn't have the talent to run his system so he was forced to... Adjust his system? Wut?

To top it off Cousins wasn't battling an injury as much as the team just quit on Gentry? Huh?

No it is well documented that Cousins was struggling with an injury. This is th entire reason he played for something like 3 minutes during the All Star Game.

We only sat AD and Cousins after we lost our chance of making the playoffs. There was no reason to play them anymore and risk them getting hurt worse.

As far as Gentry goes, that is the exact definition of adjusting your system. He likes to run a different system, but he has the talent to run another one and so he changed what he did. Adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Hayward, Hood, and Burks. And I like how you just dismiss Gobert to make a point. Plus they traded for a rookie in Favors. The fact that they've missed on that many draft picks and still are better than us due to the draft just shows you how important the draft is.
    What happens or not with Holiday remains to be seen, but I think if you asked people 5 years ago if this Pels core would be a good return for 5 years of rebuilding, I think most would be happy with the results. It was ugly getting here, and there were enough bad decisions made along the way and enough luck involved in getting the top 2 pieces that people are rightfully afraid the current regime will screw this up, but what is missing from the Pels is not home drafted talent. As others have said the addition of a lead guard and other veterans providing depth was the key to Utah going from outside looking in to middle tier playoff team. That's what the Pels need, to trade the 2018 pick for a lead guard and use the MLE and other exceptions to add veteran depth.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    What happens or not with Holiday remains to be seen, but I think if you asked people 5 years ago if this Pels core would be a good return for 5 years of rebuilding, I think most would be happy with the results. It was ugly getting here, and there were enough bad decisions made along the way and enough luck involved in getting the top 2 pieces that people are rightfully afraid the current regime will screw this up, but what is missing from the Pels is not home drafted talent. As others have said the addition of a lead guard and other veterans providing depth was the key to Utah going from outside looking in to middle tier playoff team. That's what the Pels need, to trade the 2018 pick for a lead guard and use the MLE and other exceptions to add veteran depth.
    Here's what you seem to be missing. If we had drafted we could potentially have what we are missing on a cost effective contract. Think about it even if we drafted players knstead of wasting 3 picks on Holiday and Asik we still are in position to make the Cousins trade. Who was the key piece in that trade??? Hield a rookie and a draft pick. But instead of having useless cap space Asik and UFA Holiday we'd have 3 rookies making very little and the ability to match any offer. Which would be cheaper than what Jrue is likely to command.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-08-2017 at 08:54 AM.

That's all irrelevant, the question wasn't "Can you think of new ways to rehash Demps' previous mistakes" but what pieces does THIS team need to add to make a jump. This is the hand we are playing, how do you move it forward?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The same Golden State who is on its 2nd backup HC to Kerr? Give it a rest, it isn't Gentry's system that is causing them to win, its superior talent.

I think you missed the main point though, Gentry's system (while a system) is a losing system. Brian Hill had a system that got Orlando to the finals, I don't see people out there stumbling over themselves to hire Hill because they realize that his system was nothing more than getting out of the way and letting Shaq, Penny, Nick Anderson, and Dennis Scott do their thing. We just got the wool pulled over our eyes thinking Gentry's system was a winning one, while overlooking the fact that he was most successful because of the hall of fame talent in his system (his system didn't make them hall of fame players btw).
    Every team that wins, has great players who are likely headed to the hall of fame. You're very pro Quin Snyder (aka Monty w/ the good hair), but he too runs a system. It's a system that resulted in the Jazz scoring fewer points per game than every team except the Grizzlies and Mavericks. It's a system that's currently rolling strong to a negative net rating through the playoffs. It's a system that hasn't won in the NBA in over a decade. Popovich used to run a system that more closely resembled the system Monty w/ the good hair (Snyder) is currently running. But he adjusted. The Spurs at their best, now play more of a D'Antoni/Kerr/Gentry style of basketball.

Snyder played that miserable pace and system into a playoff spot. Congrats to him. But look at that roster. Is that the best system for a team with Hayward, Burk, Ingles, Exum, and Hood? Were Hill, Iso Joe, and Diaw the best fits with those players, or do they dictate slowing the pace? Gobert is athletic enough to run the floor, but he's more Tyson Chandler or DeAndre Jordan, than someone you want to slow down and ask to make a move with is back to the basket in the half court. He's not Gasol.

So what the hell is Monty w/ the good hair out there doing?! His system sucks and may not be the best fit for his young players.

I am not sure how you want to be served, so I will just let you get it how you live.
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Every team that wins, has great players who are likely headed to the hall of fame. You're very pro Quin Snyder (aka Monty w/ the good hair), but he too runs a system. It's a system that resulted in the Jazz scoring fewer points per game than every team except the Grizzlies and Mavericks.
    Yes, it resulted in the Jazz scoring fewer points per game than all but two teams, it also led to them being the top defensive team in ppg. So he is running a defensive system, and it is working. Whats the problem again with having the top defensive team?

It's a system that's currently rolling strong to a negative net rating through the playoffs.
    It was a positive before the Warriors series because, well, they are the Warriors. Who is posting a positive against those guys (crickets chirp)?

It's a system that hasn't won in the NBA in over a decade.
    Well sure its a system that hasn't won in over a decade, Snyder has only been in Utah for 3 years (not a decade). But if you are saying that a team with a top 5 defense hasn't won in over a decade, well if you are only counting titles it has won that would make 4 (Mavs, Heat, GS, & the Cavs), and if you are talking NBA Finals appearances it has made 8. So yeah, I am not sure where you are going with that argument.

Popovich used to run a system that more closely resembled the system Monty w/ the good hair (Snyder) is currently running. But he adjusted.
    Pops won with a system like what Monty with the good hair is winning with.

The Spurs at their best, now play more of a D'Antoni/Kerr/Gentry style of basketball.
    Yeah, crazy, its Gentry's system but you threw Kerr in there? Who's system is it, Kerr's or Gentry's? Odd that Pops is winning with that system when D'antoni and Gentry aren't winning with their own system. I guess its a matter of having top notch players.

Snyder played that miserable pace and system into a playoff spot. Congrats to him.
    Yeah, we played the Gentry system and missed the playoffs.

But look at that roster. Is that the best system for a team with Hayward, Burk, Ingles, Exum, and Hood?
    Are you talking about Trey Burke who hasn't been on the team in a year, or Alec Burks who has been injured for the last few weeks? Either way, Ingles was cut by Doc and the Clippers, and he is performing very well. Hood and Exum are second year players, and playing as well as can be expected from 2nd year guys in the playoffs. Hood has had some very solid play in the playoffs, and Exum could obviously play better but these are 2nd year guys, and they are doing as well as can be expected. Hayward was an All Star, and is proving to be a top player at his position. Are we talking about the same team?

Were Hill, Iso Joe, and Diaw the best fits with those players, or do they dictate slowing the pace?
    I am not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that those guys haven't been playing well, or are you saying that Snyder has guys that don't fit his system playing well in his system? Either way, that doesn't strengthen your case.

Gobert is athletic enough to run the floor, but he's more Tyson Chandler or DeAndre Jordan, than someone you want to slow down and ask to make a move with is back to the basket in the half court. He's not Gasol.
    I am not sure who said he was Gasol, Jordan, or Chandler, but he is a DPOY candidate for a reason. He and Hayward give the Jazz a very bright future. Hard to imagine anyone would trade Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng for Gobert, but who knows, maybe someone would. Either way Gobert is playing in the right system for his talents. He and Hayward are both reaching their potential with Snyder, so once again I am not sure where you are going here.

So what the hell is Monty w/ the good hair out there doing?! His system sucks and may not be the best fit for his young players.
    He is in the 2nd round of the playoffs without a top 20 player on his roster, we are sitting at home with 2 top 10 players on our roster.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Yes, it resulted in the Jazz scoring fewer points per game than all but two teams, it also led to them being the top defensive team in ppg. So he is running a defensive system, and it is working. Whats the problem again with having the top defensive team?
    Nothing is wrong with having the top defensive team. Something IS wrong with having a team that can't keep up with the pace and points of the modern NBA. He ran a system that will never be successful in the NBA again, unless you define success by a single regular season beating up on non playoff teams and getting swept in the playoffs. He's running a system we're currently witnessing the ceiling of.

It was a positive before the Warriors series because, well, they are the Warriors. Who is posting a positive against those guys (crickets chirp)?
    It was also 3 points lower than their regular season rating in the 1st round. So much for meaningful adjustments, I guess.

Well sure its a system that hasn't won in over a decade, Snyder has only been in Utah for 3 years (not a decade). But if you are saying that a team with a top 5 defense hasn't won in over a decade, well if you are only counting titles it has won that would make 4 (Mavs, Heat, GS, & the Cavs), and if you are talking NBA Finals appearances it has made 8. So yeah, I am not sure where you are going with that argument.
    This is just plain stupid. No one is saying a top 5 defensive team hasn't won. But I'll continue to wait for you to tell me when the last time a team that ranked in the bottom 5 in ppg won anything. Again, if you like Snyder, you should have loved Monty! They're the same guy.

Pops won with a system like what Monty with the good hair is winning with.
    Yes, and so did James Naismith and Adolph Rupp. But Popovich adjusted. The last time he won playing this way was 10 years ago.

Yeah, crazy, its Gentry's system but you threw Kerr in there? Who's system is it, Kerr's or Gentry's? Odd that Pops is winning with that system when D'antoni and Gentry aren't winning with their own system. I guess its a matter of having top notch players.
    Kerr hired Gentry twice, in Phoenix and in Golden State. Gentry was the offensive architect of what Kerr runs. Not sure what you're getting at, but it's clear you don't know much about D'Antoni. Monty with the good hair hasn't yet had the success that D'Antoni has. He's had 1 winning season out of 3 and is about to get swept by a team playing a decidedly different style of basketball than what he's coaching in Utah. Snyder probably know better than you do to keep D'Antoni's name out his mouth!

Yeah, we played the Gentry system and missed the playoffs.
    Do you think Quin Snyder could have started the season with a lineup of Asik, AD, Hill, Moore, and Frazier and a poopoo platter bench and made the playoffs? Based on 1 winning season, in which his team was below .500 against the other Western Conference playoff teams, all of a sudden Snyder is vintage Riley?! GTFOH!

Are you talking about Trey Burke who hasn't been on the team in a year, or Alec Burks who has been injured for the last few weeks? Either way, Ingles was cut by Doc and the Clippers, and he is performing very well. Hood and Exum are second year players, and playing as well as can be expected from 2nd year guys in the playoffs. Hood has had some very solid play in the playoffs, and Exum could obviously play better but these are 2nd year guys, and they are doing as well as can be expected. Hayward was an All Star, and is proving to be a top player at his position. Are we talking about the same team?
    You missed the point. Clearly. The team has young athletes who can run and shoot, a legit All Star scoring threat on the wing, and a big man who can run and defend (but doesn't really have a post up game). You give Mike D'Antoni or Gentry those tools, and they're a more dangerous team than what Quin Snyder turned them into. Next year will be interesting, beyond how much of this team they can keep together, because Snyder has to find a way to completely adjust what he was doing with them. They went 12-16 against WC playoff teams last year, and beat up on everybody else in the regular season.

They're the Macklemores of baskeball; talented, but inconsequential and incapable of sustaining even marginal success because they'll never challenge the greats.

I am not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that those guys haven't been playing well, or are you saying that Snyder has guys that don't fit his system playing well in his system? Either way, that doesn't strengthen your case.
    Snyder has a system that fits 3 older players well, but isn't the system that is probably best for the young core of his team. Maybe he adjust over time, and Utah picks up the pace. But currently, he's done nothing to demonstrate that he's a dynamic coach capable of doing that. He might be, but right now he's just Monty with the good hair. Seriously, this is Monty ball through and through just with different results because the Jazz have a better roster than anything Monty was given.

I am not sure who said he was Gasol, Jordan, or Chandler, but he is a DPOY candidate for a reason. He and Hayward give the Jazz a very bright future. Hard to imagine anyone would trade Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng for Gobert, but who knows, maybe someone would. Either way Gobert is playing in the right system for his talents. He and Hayward are both reaching their potential with Snyder, so once again I am not sure where you are going here.
    Gobert and Hayward give the Jazz NO FUTURE in this system, because this system has no future. Optimizing Gobert isn't putting him in a slow pace half court system! Imagine Gobert in the Clint Capela role? He'd still be every bit the DPOY candidate, but he'd be a monster in an attacking offense. Both he and Hayward are amazing talents, and great players tend to still be good even when they're in the wrong system.

He is in the 2nd round of the playoffs without a top 20 player on his roster, we are sitting at home with 2 top 10 players on our roster.
    Really, we had 2 top 10 players on our roster all year?! Who knew. And by what metric do you put Cousins in the top 10, but Hayward doesn't crack the top 20? That seems hella arbitrary and forced just to fit your narrative.

In the month of March we were 10-6, which is a win% that would have been good enough for the 4th seed if we'd had those players for an entire season. Our net rating was top 5 in the NBA. The Jazz were steady over the course of the season, and Snyder deserves a pat on the back for getting them into the playoffs. But to say that this team needs someone like Snyder is ridiculous when you look at who Quin Snder is, how he actually coaches, what sort of adjustments he's making throughout the season and in game, and the product he's putting on the court.

Nothing is wrong with having the top defensive team. Something IS wrong with having a team that can't keep up with the pace and points of the modern NBA. He ran a system that will never be successful in the NBA again, unless you define success by a single regular season beating up on non playoff teams and getting swept in the playoffs. He's running a system we're currently witnessing the ceiling of.
    In another thread you are saying that the Warriors are the best team in the playoffs, so the Jazz being beat by the Warriors is not unexpected. Heck, anyone being beat by the Warriors is to be expected. He also beat the Clippers and the mighty Doc Rivers, all while missing Gobert for 3 games. He beat up on non-playoff teams, while we were getting beat by non-playoff teams.

It was also 3 points lower than their regular season rating in the 1st round. So much for meaningful adjustments, I guess.
    They are also playing two of the top 6 offenses in the playoffs (and holding them below their regular season avg.), so I wouldn't say all hope is lost. They do need another scorer though.

This is just plain stupid. No one is saying a top 5 defensive team hasn't won. But I'll continue to wait for you to tell me when the last time a team that ranked in the bottom 5 in ppg won anything. Again, if you like Snyder, you should have loved Monty! They're the same guy.
    Snyder's system is all about stout defense, and offensive continuity. Its no wonder they can't get the offensive side down as they are constantly shuffling through players due to injuries. Meanwhile, we play bad offense, and bad defense and are sitting at home. Go team Gentry! But having a strong defensive presence (which the Jazz do) never goes out of fashion. Give them another shooter and fewer injuries and they will play better.

Yes, and so did James Naismith and Adolph Rupp. But Popovich adjusted. The last time he won playing this way was 10 years ago.
    Wait, who hasn't won anything playing like this (strong defense, offensive continuity)? Who ever won playing the style of ball the Warriors play with until the Warriors came to town taking 60 ft shots? Nobody. It doesn't mean it couldn't happen, it just means things cyclical, and as such, if you can expect a Jazz type offense to do well...hell we are counting on that down here last I checked. We now have Boogie and AD, not Steph and Klay, or Lebron and Kyrie. We are counting on slow it down type offense, or what will Boogie do?

Kerr hired Gentry twice, in Phoenix and in Golden State. Gentry was the offensive architect of what Kerr runs. Not sure what you're getting at, but it's clear you don't know much about D'Antoni. Monty with the good hair hasn't yet had the success that D'Antoni has. He's had 1 winning season out of 3 and is about to get swept by a team playing a decidedly different style of basketball than what he's coaching in Utah. Snyder probably know better than you do to keep D'Antoni's name out his mouth!
    Once again, what is the problem with losing to the Warriors? The Jazz are the 3rd youngest team in the Playoffs, and this is their first time there in a long while. What are you crapping on their accomplishments for? Are the Warriors (as you claim) the best team in the Playoffs, or not?

If anything, we are seeing that in GS its not the system, its the talent. You replace the coaches and it doesn't matter, same result. Talking about Snyder making the playoffs in one of his 3 years, ha! Gentry could only pray to have such a record. Dude has made the playoffs in 2 of 13 seasons as a coach. Ha! What a great system he must have. I don't think Gentry's, Dantoni's, or Kerr's system would work here though. We have AD and Boogie, not Harden/EG or Steph/Klay, or Nash/Amare. Gentry's system isn't built for these guys, and sure he can adjust, but his track record shows that his adjustments will still lead to losing. Snyder's system has been year over year progress, while changing players, and adjusting to their skill set.

Do you think Quin Snyder could have started the season with a lineup of Asik, AD, Hill, Moore, and Frazier and a poopoo platter bench and made the playoffs? Based on 1 winning season, in which his team was below .500 against the other Western Conference playoff teams, all of a sudden Snyder is vintage Riley?! GTFOH!
    Hey look, a strawman!

You missed the point. Clearly. The team has young athletes who can run and shoot, a legit All Star scoring threat on the wing, and a big man who can run and defend (but doesn't really have a post up game). You give Mike D'Antoni or Gentry those tools, and they're a more dangerous team than what Quin Snyder turned them into. Next year will be interesting, beyond how much of this team they can keep together, because Snyder has to find a way to completely adjust what he was doing with them. They went 12-16 against WC playoff teams last year, and beat up on everybody else in the regular season.

They're the Macklemores of baskeball; talented, but inconsequential and incapable of sustaining even marginal success because they'll never challenge the greats.
    I bet if you gave Snyder the Pelican's or Rockets rosters he would have gotten more out of them than D'Antoni or Gentry did. You see how stupid those kind of arguments are? How are you or I ever going to prove that?

So why does Snyder have to adjust? They just made the playoffs in the West as a 5 seed, and are young. Sure adjustments will be made, but who do you think has more adjustments to make, Snyder or Gentry? Obviously Gentry, because he is a bad coach to begin with, but then he has to create a system centered around his bigs as opposed to his guards. Good luck storming the castle!

Snyder has a system that fits 3 older players well, but isn't the system that is probably best for the young core of his team. Maybe he adjust over time, and Utah picks up the pace. But currently, he's done nothing to demonstrate that he's a dynamic coach capable of doing that. He might be, but right now he's just Monty with the good hair. Seriously, this is Monty ball through and through just with different results because the Jazz have a better roster than anything Monty was given.
    Did you not watch the Clippers vs Jazz series? They took game one in LA because the Jazz adjusted. He can adjust, the Warriors are just to dynamic, and they can counter your best move. That isn't some indictment of the Jazz, that is just a testament to how good the Warriors are (who you claim to be the best team in the playoffs).

I wouldn't say Snyder has a better roster than anything Monty had. Monty had CP3, DX, Ariza, Okafor, QPon, and Belli in their prime, and they lost in the first round. I would take that roster over what the Jazz currently have. We would all probably take AD, Boogie, and Jrue over the Jazz top 3 players, yet while at the same point in the season the Jazz were dealing with injuries, and we were still in the thick of the 8th seed playoff hunt we crapped out, and they maintained.

Gobert and Hayward give the Jazz NO FUTURE in this system, because this system has no future. Optimizing Gobert isn't putting him in a slow pace half court system! Imagine Gobert in the Clint Capela role? He'd still be every bit the DPOY candidate, but he'd be a monster in an attacking offense. Both he and Hayward are amazing talents, and great players tend to still be good even when they're in the wrong system.
    Good point, but I guess we will have to see how they perform in different systems. As it stands they are performing very well, and I haven't heard anyone but you say that they are being misused. Maybe you know something that no other NBA writer or team personnel has the guts to talk about.

Really, we had 2 top 10 players on our roster all year?! Who knew. And by what metric do you put Cousins in the top 10, but Hayward doesn't crack the top 20? That seems hella arbitrary and forced just to fit your narrative.

In the month of March we were 10-6, which is a win% that would have been good enough for the 4th seed if we'd had those players for an entire season. Our net rating was top 5 in the NBA. The Jazz were steady over the course of the season, and Snyder deserves a pat on the back for getting them into the playoffs. But to say that this team needs someone like Snyder is ridiculous when you look at who Quin Snder is, how he actually coaches, what sort of adjustments he's making throughout the season and in game, and the product he's putting on the court.
    Fair enough, we are at home, while they are still in the playoffs. Now you feel better?

And if we're looking to move pass Gentry, why not look for the next Dwane Casey? He's a better coach than Monty with the good hair.

Or look at the success that Houston is having. We should be looking for the next Mike D'Antoni.......

My love for Quin Snyder is irrational and enduring. It's true love
    Fixed.

But seriously, there is nothing I can do to convince you that Quin Snyder is overrated. Time will have to prove that to you, or it's quite possible the Snyder will evolve and get better as a coach and prove me wrong. But based on what I've seen, he hasn't done anything this year to demonstrate that he's an elite coach. He's currently on par with the all time great Lionel Hollins in my opinion. And his clear coaching comp for now is definitely Monty Williams.

Gentry isn't the best coach in the league. No one has ever said he is. But it's hard to look at Gentry's coaching career and find the season he should have done much better than he did. If his career ended today, Gentry will go down as having been in the worst coaching situations of any coach in NBA history! Who else can say they coached for a Donald Sterling team and de facto owner Mickey Loomis!?

Gentry has yet to prove it with the Pelicans. But he has yet to have at any point in his entire career the consistency and stability that Snyder has had with the Jazz. Like Gentry, 2 years into his contract with the Jazz, Snyder had yet to prove it either. Gentry deserves his 3rd year as much as Snyder deserved his.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 05-08-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Fixed.

But seriously, there is nothing I can do to convince you that Quin Snyder is overrated. Time will have to prove that to you, or it's quite possible the Snyder will evolve and get better as a coach and prove me wrong. But based on what I've seen, he hasn't done anything this year to demonstrate that he's an elite coach. He's currently on par with the all time great Lionel Hollins in my opinion.
    When you lose an argument, is this usually how you respond? Good to know for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    1.1% chance.
    While I really don't think its much more than a pipe dream, and a an unnecessary one too -- the Pels should be able to win a LOT of games next year even without some 19yr old kid coming in -- it should be noted that those odds you posted are the odds to actually grab the #1 pick. The any of the Top 3 odds should be somewhat higher. Maybe 4-5%?

And if we're looking to move pass Gentry, why not look for the next Dwane Casey? He's a better coach than Monty with the good hair.

Or look at the success that Houston is having. We should be looking for the next Mike D'Antoni.......
    Mike D'Antoni is absolutely 100% inappropriate for this team. He's a gimmick/single system coach. He needs his personnel all the way through, starting with a HOF PG and loads of shooters. We've seen him operate without those things and fall flat on his face. He wouldn't know what to do with a big man if you provided him an entire "Big Men For Dummies" encyclopedia set.

Key to success next year is everyone in the organization, top to bottom, operating with a single shared visions in support of the elite talents that this team has, not that other teams have. No chasing fads. No wishing "oh I wish we had that cute little Steph Curry guy". This is a big man team now. The ultimate big man team in the current NBA. The support personnel should reflect that, and the coaches should definitely reflect that.

When you lose an argument, is this usually how you respond? Good to know for future reference.
    Dude, I'm running a multi-million dollar company... All my responses to you can't be lengthy ones!

We disagree on how good Snyder is. I'd love to go back and forth all day because this is fun, but I got work to do! Don't worry, I'll be back. Just like Gentry!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Dude, I'm running a multi-million dollar company... All my responses to you can't be lengthy ones!

We disagree on how good Snyder is. I'd love to go back and forth all day because this is fun, but I got work to do! Don't worry, I'll be back. Just like Gentry!
    When do you run this business,between midnight & 6 AM, because you sure are typing an awful lot through the mid AM's and all PM's.. Donald Trump runs a multi million dollar empire & he doesn't know jack squat about basketball! So, what's your point? Good thing you are running it, because if not, you'd probably be canned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    When do you run this business,between midnight & 6 AM, because you sure are typing an awful lot through the mid AM's and all PM's.. Donald Trump runs a multi million dollar empire & he doesn't know jack squat about basketball! So, what's your point? Good thing you are running it, because if not, you'd probably be canned.
    Edit.

We agree on the last point.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 05-08-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Coach, depth, synergy, and quality dispersion of roster talent along the position spectrum.

Not sure we have any of that currently. We do have two superstars, so we have one of the hardest parts covered.

I'm of the opinion that once you zig when everyone is zagging, then you keep zigging. If Gentry wants to work with the players he has and adapt or convince Boogie to try his systen, I'm all for it but we won't get there unless we have any kind of answer to Cleveland and Golden State. You can't wait them out, you have to compete in a different way. Now. And obviously none of us have that answer.
    Last edited by Fraunpetri; 05-08-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraunpetri View Post
    I'm of the opinion that once you zig when everyone is zagging, then you keep zagging. If Gentry wants to work with the players he has and adapt or convince Boogie to try his systen, I'm all for it but we won't get there unless we have any kind of answer to Cleveland and Golden State. You can't wait them out, you have to compete in a different way now and obviously none of us have that answer.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    What Gentry was doing in March, on the fly and with no consistency and reliability from the guards, was promising. I keep going back to the fact that Gentry coach Amare Stoudemire when he was one of the best players in the league. Amare wasn't a traditional big, and neither are AD and Boogie. AD and Boogie are both better than peak Amare, and I think Gentry would have figured out what to do with 2 Amares. I'm not sure if that makes any sense to those who want to see us zag into a version on the Grizzlies playing traditional PF/C sets and pace, but there was enough evidence that we could be on the verge of something great during the month of March.

I go back to my first answer to this question. What this team needs is consistency from its guards.

Jesus. Some of you thought I was a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Jesus. Some of you thought I was a troll.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    We want a Jazz level jump? ********, we already got swept by the warriors once. I say we made it

I'm pretty sure we just watched the Jazz team peak losing in 4 to the Warriors.

In addition to Hayward and Hill, they also have Ingles as a free agent. If they bring everyone back, they're going to be pretty stuck with a roster that just got swept, and decisions left to make about Favors, Exum, and Hood in future offseasons.

Pretty interesting write up.

Nobody really expected this series to be much, and the Jazz can’t be ashamed to end up another bug on the Warriors’ windshield. Their season was already a success when they advanced past the Clippers in their first postseason since the last gasp of the dead-end Paul Millsap/Al Jefferson era. Utah is a young team that struggled with injures all season, and they still showed up in L.A. looking calmer and more prepared than a star-laden Clippers team that’s parked their asses in the first round of the playoffs for years. While the Warriors seem set to win championships for another half-decade, the Jazz are in a somewhat more unsettled position. They could easily cement themselves as a perennial tough Western Conference out (it’d be dishonest to call any team besides the Warriors a “contender”) for years, but this is a crucial offseason.

The primary reason the Jazz’s offense works is because they have an diverse cast of pick-and-roll ball handlers who can all shoot and pass on the run. Chief among them are George Hill and Gordon Hayward, who will both be free agents next season. Hayward was Utah’s most important player this year, and he will undoubtedly command a max salary on the open market this summer. Utah seems like a perfect place for him to chill, since he’d get a chance to stick with a franchise that’s slowly built their entire style around his (and Rudy Gobert’s) unique talents in a low-key city where he can play all the Overwatch his heart desires.
    http://deadspin.com/the-jazz-got-vap...ill-1795039621
    The Jazz will only get better (if they bring back Hayward and Hill), so its hard to imagine them dropping off.

Meanwhile we haven't made the 2nd round of a playoff series in the better part of a decade.

Pretty interesting write up.

The Jazz will only get better (if they bring back Hayward and Hill), so its hard to imagine them dropping off.

Meanwhile we haven't made the 2nd round of a playoff series in the better part of a decade.
    Bringing back both Hill and Hayward seems to be 50/50 at best. If they bring them both back, will the MLE be enough for Ingles? I think someone gives him Ryan Anderson type money. The idea that all 3 come back and they run it back with a team that wasn't competitive with the Warriors is a possibility, but 4 years of the Jazz locked into a Big 3 of Hayward/Gobert/Hill running 1988 offense, sounds like a win for every other Western Conference team hoping to contend.

Whoever wrote this piece for Deadspin saw something more in Dante Exum than I ever saw during this series. Being "a perennial tough Western Conference out" sound a lot like being the Memphis Grizzlies under Lionel Hollins. For them to get better would mean Hood has to make a giant leap next year (he could), and for them to continue to get super efficiency on offense from every one else. They'll be stuck with Boris, and Boris is done. Can Joe Johnson continue to give them 24 mpg at age 36?

If I were a Jazz fan, I could trick myself into being optimistic about this team, especially coming off of a good regular season and winning a 7 game series against the Clippers. But it's far more likely they take a huge step backwards this offseason than it is that they take a huge step forward.

For the Pelicans, oddly enough they're in a similar position that the Jazz were in going into Snyder's 3rd year. They need to improve their play at PG. If the Pelicans can similarly do that, their ceiling will be much higher than the Jazz, and Gentry will have a team capable of more than just being "a perennial tough Western Conference out".

Thread Information