Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's missing for this team to make a Jazz like leap?

What's missing for this team to make a Jazz like leap?

Better coach is #1 on my list.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Player IQ.

better 3pt shooters

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Consistency from the backcourt.

Quality depth and winning veterans (G. Hill, J.Johnson, Diaw were key additions for them)
    Last edited by Rheem654; 05-06-2017 at 09:50 PM.

JOE INGLES

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Consistency from the backcourt.
    I like this answer. Shore up the backcourt and everything else will fall in place.

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post

Snyder really is the difference. Those guys he has playing for him aren't even that great. Sure Gobert and Hayward are great, but the others aren't the type that teams are clamoring for. I would argue that while they have more "depth" we have just as much, it's just not being utilized properly. That falls on the gm and coach not being on the same page though. In Utah the gm is getting the coach the players that he needs for his system, here Demps is throwing the The Kobayashi Maru at Gentry, and Gentry is failing before the program even starts. It's such a hot mess.

So yeah, find me the next Quin Snyder.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post

Its a tough call because the teams are now built entirely different with entirely different potential.

The Jazz get everything possible out of their guys, tough, gritty, defensive. Just lack high end talent. The Pels now have the high end talent, but they have a lot of roster construction to do to get those gritty defensive guys, and yes, could use a Snyder clone to really get it dialed home.

Ironically the coach I wish were available right now is Joerger. He could do everything that needs to be done here if he had a GM who gave him some grit and grind roleplayers.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 05-07-2017 at 01:21 AM.

It is too easy to say a new HC...

This team needs training camp and DMC in shape.
    Other small pieces is what Dell does best.

So little and so much...

Anything more and I am super excited...

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    It is too easy to say a new HC...

This team needs training camp and DMC in shape.
    Other small pieces is what Dell does best.

So little and so much...

Anything more and I am super excited...
    I think a coach is the x-factor that can bring everything together for a team though, let them reach their potential or even overachieve.

A healthy A.D./Boogie combo next year is absolutely going to win some games. You would have to be coached/GM'd by the village idiot in order to win less than 40-something. But to truly make it sing, you need that coach able to reach guys, get it organized, maximize the team's potential, and you need a GM who isn't just adding random pieces, but a bunch of pieces with a single vision.

Its the open question with Gentry, despite him seeming to start getting results there in March. He's been a mediocre retread coach his whole life, and a coach who has always just told his guys to run. This pairing would likely be the best pair he's ever coached. But is he actually capable of raising his own game? Boogie's a free agent after the year. There's very little room for error.

Coaching and management is a problem.
    But assuming that nothing will not change (looks like this) - I do not want to expect anything there.
    I expect that Loomis will give them another shot. If this is a case -aby change will be a nice surprise for me...

So I want to maximize our two star combo

What's missing for this team to make a Jazz like leap?

I'm not saying Gentry is or isn't the coach to take us to the next level but at some point we have to settle on a coach . I think if there is any doubt about Gentry then the front office needs to go too . They need to pull AD Boogie and Jrue in and ask them their opinion on Gentry and other coaches and devise a plan after that .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if DMC doesn't get in shape, and he stays the same? Then you need a coach who can work with that.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    What if DMC doesn't get in shape, and he stays the same? Then you need a coach who can work with that.
    He was injured. So are you asking what if DC stays injured? Then the coach won't matter. Gentry clearly adjusted his system to fit two bigs and it got better as time went on. Why is it so hard for people to believe that with a full summer in the system they will be able to improve?

The Jazz did a great job drafting. Something Demps forfeited. So Dell is the problem.

Great discussion all around on this particular topic. I'm really enjoying this thread. It's been needed around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    The Jazz did a great job drafting. Something Demps forfeited. So Dell is the problem.
    I 100% agree with this. Demps gambled big time with forfeiting draft picks and lost. I'm actually curious to see what he does this summer to make up for his failed signings.

Banned
    A Head Coach is a master intergrater.
    He takes multiple styles and blends it into a smooth operation.
    Houston Rockets are a good example.
    Utah Jazz as well.
    I think we are a couple players away from having a solid squad.
    Can Alvin Gentry do what he did in 2009?
    He don't have a Steve Nash like he did in 2009.
    I guess we will find out this upcoming season providing the Pelicans stay as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    A Head Coach is a master intergrater.
    He takes multiple styles and blends it into a smooth operation.
    Houston Rockets are a good example.
    Utah Jazz as well.
    I think we are a couple players away from having a solid squad.
    Can Alvin Gentry do what he did in 2009?
    He don't have a Steve Nash like he did in 2009.
    I guess we will find out this upcoming season providing the Pelicans stay as is.
    What if we manage to get a top 3 pick and select Lonzo Ball? He's known as a pace and space point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    What if we manage to get a top 3 pick and select Lonzo Ball? He's known as a pace and space point guard.
    1.1% chance.

1. Brooklyn Nets 20-62 25.0%
    2. Phoenix Suns 24-58 19.9%
    3. Los Angeles Lakers 26-56 15.6%
    4. Philadelphia Sixers 28-54 11.9%
    5. Orlando Magic 29-53 8.8%
    6. Minnesota Timberwolves 31-51 5.3%
    7. New York Knicks 31-51 5.3%
    8. Sacramento Kings 32-50 2.8%
    9. Dallas Mavericks 33-49 1.7%
    10. New Orleans Pelicans 34-48 1.1%
    11. Charlotte Hornets 36-46 0.8%
    12. Detroit Pistons 37-45 0.7%
    13. Denver Nuggets 40-42 0.6%
    14. Miami Heat 41-41 0.5%

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Outside of lucking into Gobert, which part has been great?

2016: Punted via trading for George Hill

2015: Trey Lyles -a bad player who isn't getting any minutes in the playoffs

2014: Exum - bust for the number 5 pick, Hood - pretty good for 23.

2013: Traded Shabazz Muhammed and Dieng for Trey Burke - who was dumped later for 2nd round picks

2012: Kanter at 3 - a bust for them and a overpaid bench player now. Burks at 12 - a pretty solid pick but unfortunately has been injured all the time

What part of that speaks great track record? They trade picks willy nilly, have missed big on all their top 5 picks. Without Gobert that team would be awful. You know what pushed them into winning territory? Finally trading for a point guard in George Hill and free agent signings like Johnson, Ingles, Diaw (trade). That gave them the depth they needed and they finally had a somewhat (still unhealthy) healthy year.

People act like Snyder is this magical difference maker - yet all the analytic models that don't factor in subjective things like coaching had the Jazz winning 50+ this year. Because of their depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Outside of lucking into Gobert, which part has been great?

2016: Punted via trading for George Hill

2015: Trey Lyles -a bad player who isn't getting any minutes in the playoffs

2014: Exum - bust for the number 5 pick, Hood - pretty good for 23.

2013: Traded Shabazz Muhammed and Dieng for Trey Burke - who was dumped later for 2nd round picks

2012: Kanter at 3 - a bust for them and a overpaid bench player now. Burks at 12 - a pretty solid pick but unfortunately has been injured all the time

What part of that speaks great track record? They trade picks willy nilly, have missed big on all their top 5 picks. Without Gobert that team would be awful. You know what pushed them into winning territory? Finally trading for a point guard in George Hill and free agent signings like Johnson, Ingles, Diaw (trade). That gave them the depth they needed and they finally had a somewhat (still unhealthy) healthy year.

People act like Snyder is this magical difference maker - yet all the analytic models that don't factor in subjective things like coaching had the Jazz winning 50+ this year. Because of their depth.
    Hayward, Hood, and Burks. And I like how you just dismiss Gobert to make a point. Plus they traded for a rookie in Favors. The fact that they've missed on that many draft picks and still are better than us due to the draft just shows you how important the draft is.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-07-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Banned
    Ball would be a good choice.
    I personally think Evans from OSU is the perfect fit for the Pelicans
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pWnEwWM8gPs
    This guy has Sick Handles plus nice off the dribble quickness we have never had in New Orleans.
    Evans can score in bunches as well
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 05-07-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    He will be in shape. He would like to play in PO.
    It is also his contract year.

Thread Information