Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zion not just being held out?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'm fine keeping him or trading him. Pretty indifferent and see the benefits of both. Only the FO and doctors know what's truly going on, the rest is speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    There is a statute of limitations though. What if Zion’s people are JUST THAT DELUDED and refuse to listen no matter what? I mean, I think Griffin sucks. But we can’t put this all on him if what we’ve heard is true.
    I agree. And I'm honestly pretty close to that line myself. But here's where I'm at. Play Zion. Right now. He thinks he can play. He wants to play. It's sink or swim time for this relationship right now. Give him the trust of letting him decide his health. Let him be a part of this run. If after that they still want out, then go ahead and cut bait.

What I can't accept is having Zion ready to play, having the possibility of salvaging the relationship with him (which is objectively the best version of the future for the Pelicans), and deciding to just try to string him along and run out the clock. It's BS. If I were Zion, I'd be upset too! Right now, it feels like there's some daylight for this turning around, and Griffin is burning the bridge. I might be wrong. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. If I'm right, though, it's time for Griffin to go. And I've been a Griffin supporter.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I agree. And I'm honestly pretty close to that line myself. But here's where I'm at. Play Zion. Right now. He thinks he can play. He wants to play. It's sink or swim time for this relationship right now. Give him the trust of letting him decide his health. Let him be a part of this run. If after that they still want out, then go ahead and cut bait.

What I can't accept is having Zion ready to play, having the possibility of salvaging the relationship with him (which is objectively the best version of the future for the Pelicans), and deciding to just try to string him along and run out the clock. It's BS. If I were Zion, I'd be upset too! Right now, it feels like there's some daylight for this turning around, and Griffin is burning the bridge. I might be wrong. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. If I'm right, though, it's time for Griffin to go. And I've been a Griffin supporter.
    Im in the camp of play Zion as well. However, judging by his body language last night he seemed pretty happy. Im not convinced that his relationship with the team needs to be salvaged. I think they might be in a better place now than ever before.

Well at least we did not trade for Ben Simmons. Dodged a bullet

Season Ticket Holder
    Nobody knows nothing about this situation. Sure, we can make educated guesses, but this is such a pointless exercise.

I think either way it will work out for us. Either we keep him and this team is suddenly a title contender or we trade him and potentially find a perfect fit plus gain assets. It is hard for us to lose this situation with the way things are going right now.

I'm not playing Zion....

1. He hasn't been in a competitive game at this level in almost a year.
    2. He hasn't been cleared by the team's medical team. So, it's a no-brainer regardless of what Lee Anderson says.
    3. If his days are, indeed, numbered in New Orleans, I'm not risking additional injury to a player who is not cleared by my medical staff (See Anthony Davis for precedent)
    4. He brings nothing to the floor defensively to a team that is already flawed defensively....Nada...Zero...Zilch.
    5. What has he done in three years to earn this team's trust?

Knowing how the NBA works, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Griff & Company already have a deal worked out to trade him this summer. Why would they want to go against the team's own medical advice and risk an injury that would blow up the trade?

And, if all is a bed of roses between the Pelicans and Zion's Camp (it's obviously not since Zion continues his brash verbal silence while posting videos of uncontested acrobatic dunks), it would serve Zion's (and the team's) best interest to get an additional four months of recovery.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I do believe that Zion wants to play, and the team is being more cautious with his recovery, so they have a difference of opinion. What I don't believe, is that having a difference of opinion like this makes the relationship unsalvageable and means he has to be traded/wont resign with the Pels.

Zion may not even know this but all his pregame slams could be used as a marketing tool too. Gayle Benson watching this and now thinking I’ve got something I can sell next season. This is great he is doing this. The more attention the better.

Just wanna be sure you guys dont twist my words because I will be gone for a while and I know how this works.

Remember, I have always said he will sign the extension this summer. Okay, just to make sure that is clear so people dont put the incorrect words in my mouth when y'all are having this convo more in depth this summer.

Alright, now bye
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Zion may not even know this but all his pregame slams could be used as a marketing tool too. Gayle Benson watching this and now thinking I’ve got something I can sell next season. This is great he is doing this. The more attention the better.
    I honestly don't think the team relishes the idea of being undermined by Zion. The myth, alone, will sell tickets next year. Couple that with this exciting young team, and it makes all the dunking BS moot....if not arrogant and obnoxious..

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I honestly don't think the team relishes the idea of being undermined by Zion. The myth, alone, will sell tickets next year. Couple that with this exciting young team, and it makes all the dunking BS moot....if not arrogant and obnoxious..
    Looks like Coaches approved of this to me

Mac do you have any insight into how Benson views the Zion - Griff relationship with regards to who she is more likely to support?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Just wanna be sure you guys dont twist my words because I will be gone for a while and I know how this works.

Remember, I have always said he will sign the extension this summer. Okay, just to make sure that is clear so people dont put the incorrect words in my mouth when y'all are having this convo more in depth this summer.

Alright, now bye
    y u go

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Im in the camp of play Zion as well. However, judging by his body language last night he seemed pretty happy. Im not convinced that his relationship with the team needs to be salvaged. I think they might be in a better place now than ever before.
    Zion is a 21 year old kid. He's getting excited about the specific game just as the rest of the crowd was excited. This isn't about one game, this is about the future. Also, I don't think Zion's relationship to the Front Office or the team (Players and Coaches) matters anymore. The front office and his "camp" don't get along. I feel like he's just a kid caught in the middle of a looming divorce battle. To each side's credit, they are doing what they think is best for the future and trying to steer the narrative in their own direction. But neither side is coming outright and saying this isn't working out because neither side has anything to gain from it yet. It honestly makes them both look bad that they can't get along (Front Office and Camp) but it doesn't benefit either side for Zion to get hurt either. In the end, I'm a Pelicans fan and not a Zion fan. I would have rather used his talent to help us win, but I'm also OK using the assets we gain from him leaving to help us win. If it were just Zion and the team (Players and Coaches), my guess is he would be out there especially for the playoffs.

Also.... we aren't supposed to be here! Our season should be over now and each side could have slinked off into the summer preparing for the future, but luckily for the fans, the team (players and coaches) had other plans that didn't mesh with the Front Office and Zion's Camp's plans.

IMHO we don't need Zion...we have a great future as it is...Zion could (almost inevitable) get hurt again on a 5 y max...could/will hurt our chemistry....IMHO just too much risk...if we could get 4 1st round picks +3 swaps ...other stuff...Let him be injured in NYC

trade for Randle, Mitch Robinson, and #10 pick

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Looks like Coaches approved of this to me

Weatherspoon could barely get her arms around his waist. Just saying.

Your body shouldn't change that much between 19 and 21

Quote Originally Posted by clark griswald View Post
    I don't know what the worst part of this illegal trade would be...Randle is a big negative asset, would take the ball out of BI/CJ's hands and a Randle/Jonas frontline would be open season on the rim; Robinson is underwhelming at best (do we really need another version of Jaxson Hayes?) and is an unrestricted free agent...if we want him so bad, just sign him (below MLE); and we already have the #8 pick so adding another rookie with a worse pick doesn't seem like a good idea. Not one of those pieces is attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by clark griswald View Post

I would for Julius Randle, Mitchell Robinson, and 2022 First-Round Pick, 2023 First-Round Pick (DAL), 2024 First-Round Pick, 2026 First-Round Pick

Season Ticket Holder
    Maybe his foot has fully healed but the team doctors have told him he's not playing until he hits a certain weight benchmark. Something like, you're not playing until you get down to 285?

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Maybe his foot has fully healed but the team doctors have told him he's not playing until he hits a certain weight benchmark. Something like, you're not playing until you get down to 285?
    Management is holding him out

Protecting the asset and erring on the side of extreme caution

Protecting why? Because they understand his trade value when healthy

I think the only trade Griff would entertain is for Jabari Smith in the draft. Even then... It seems like we are givng him the max extension. Is known that it'll be fully gtd?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I think the only trade Griff would entertain is for Jabari Smith in the draft. Even then... It seems like we are givng him the max extension. Is known that it'll be fully gtd?
    He can't get the supermax rookie extension like Luka did, because he didn't qualify. But it will be fully guaranteed

Thread Information