Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trade for Parsons... to get Beal!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Trade for Parsons... to get Beal!

Pels get Parsons and Beal
    Griz get Hill, Jackson, Johnson
    Wiz get Niko, Moore, Griz 1st, Pels 1st, 2020 2nd from Pels

Does anyone say no to this?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yddm8tmm

Sounds good to me

I would do it, but would they?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I rather trade our own first than to trade for Parsons. Parsons is done done, that's a worse contract than Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I rather trade our own first than to trade for Parsons. Parsons is done done, that's a worse contract than Hill.
    It's the same length as Hill's contract. Worst case scenario is he's a huge expiring contract this time next year. Beal is going to require multiple 1st. The question is what's realistically out there to secure the 2nd 1st, or alternatively trading our 2019 and 2021 picks. I'd MUCH rather take on Parsons than have to trade our 2021 pick.

If AD signs super max you have a team with Jrue/Beal/AD. If AD leaves you build around Jrue, Beal, Tatum/Ingram/Simmons (or whatever assets you get for AD) and have a ton of cap space in 2020 when Parsons is done. I'd be excited about the team either way.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would do it, but would they?
    Memphis wants to trade Parsons instead of an expensive buyout. That's going to cost them a 1. And the deal clears about ~ $12m for them next season. Getting Frank makes it hard to say NO to IMO.

Wiz get 2 solid contributors, 2 1st round picks (either Pels or Griz or both will be in lottery), and what could be a high 2nd round pick. And they save money. That would be one of the best trade hauls in a while.

No, I want Chandler, but not in a trade with that contract.. I also would like to hold onto Frank if at all possible

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    No, I want Chandler, but not in a trade with that contract.. I also would like to hold onto Frank if at all possible
    So what is it you would give up to get Beal? Washington wants at least two 1st.

Would you rather give up our 2021 pick or take on Parsons through next season? That's basically what it boils down to. IMO, I'd gladly take on Parsons if it meant getting the asset necessary to deal for Beal while holding on to my own 2021 pick.

Sorry but this trade is fair for all teams:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ya7v2dld

Beal, Satoransky and Green to Pels.
    Mathews, Smith Jr and Jackson and 2 Pels 1sts to Washington.
    Moore, Randle and Johnson and Pels 2019 2nd to Dallas.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 01-08-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Sorry but this trade is better:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ya7v2dld

Pels give up two first to Washington aswell as their 2019 2nd rounder to Dallas.
    It's not bad, but better for who??

The 2021 pick has more value than the cap space we'd lose from being stuck with Parsons next season. We'd also still be stuck with Hill so it's essentially $10m more for Parsons or the 2021 pick. That's a no brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    It's not bad, but better for who??

The 2021 pick has more value than the cap space we'd lose from being stuck with Parsons next season. We'd also still be stuck with Hill so it's essentially $10m more for Parsons or the 2021 pick. That's a no brainer for me.
    Fairer.
    I don't want to give up Niko.

Fairer.
    I don't want to give up Niko.
    2021 Pick > keeping and resigning Niko

Only way I trade that 2021 pick is if I know the move guarantees me AD stays. Without AD - even with a solid return from a trade - that might be a top 3 pick in a loaded draft.

2021 Pick > keeping and resigning Niko

Only way I trade that 2021 pick is if I know the move guarantees me AD stays. Without AD - even with a solid return from a trade - that might be a top 3 pick in a loaded draft.
    Fine 2019 and 2022.

Pels get Parsons and Beal
    Griz get Hill, Jackson, Johnson
    Wiz get Niko, Moore, Griz 1st, Pels 1st, 2020 2nd from Pels

Does anyone say no to this?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yddm8tmm
    I don't care what that trade machine says. It's not a legal trade. You can't send out 40 mil and take 50 back
    @mcnamara247

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don't care what that trade machine says. It's not a legal trade. You can't send out 40 mil and take 50 back
    While I'm not sold on the trade, unless I am missing something, I believe the trade machine is correct. Per Larry Coon's CBA FAQ:

A non tax paying (or tax paying) team can take back up to 125% plus 100k of the outgoing salary. In the trade above, we are sending out $41.1M. Thus, we can receive up to $51.5M. Unless I am missing something, in there, it does seem to be legal. See bullet 86 at the link: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

ETA: I double checked it on realGM's "trade checker" and it also says that it is legal, with the following summary:

Congratulations on a successful trade
    Due to New Orleans being over the cap and having a post-trade Team Salary over the Tax Threshold, the 25% trade rule is invoked. New Orleans could not receive more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here.

Due to Memphis being over the cap and having a post-trade Team Salary under the Tax Threshold and trading out more than $19.6M in salaries, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Memphis could not receive more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. Also, Memphis met the requirements of the Hard Cap rules of staying under the Tax Threshold plus $4M for adjusted post-trade Team Salary.

Due to Washington being over the cap and having a post-trade Team Salary over the Tax Threshold, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Washington could not receive more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here.

This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    https://basketball.realgm.com/tradec..._trade/7154590
    Last edited by pjk481; 01-08-2019 at 05:37 PM.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by pjk481 View Post
    While I'm not sold on the trade, unless I am missing something, I believe the trade machine is correct. Per Larry Coon's CBA FAQ:

A non tax paying (or tax paying) team can take back up to 125% plus 100k of the outgoing salary. In the trade above, we are sending out $41.1M. Thus, we can receive up to $51.5M. Unless I am missing something, in there, it does seem to be legal. See bullet 86 at the link: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

ETA: I double checked it on realGM's "trade checker" and it also says that it is legal, with the following summary:

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradec..._trade/7154590
    I’d much rather porter than chandler. If I’m using all my cap on 4 players anyway. I looked at it but it’d be hard to put a team around them. I think I was able to keep Okafor, Randle or Mirotic, Payton, and Jackson. Knowing they want Jackson just makes me adjust a bit but we’d have no money for other players and be right at the cap.

I don't think I can get behind this (or it's going to take a fair bit of planning to work it long term). You would have roughly $105.4 million locked up going into next season in just:

AD: 27
    Jrue: 26.7
    Beal: 27
    Parsons: 25.1

with the remainder taking you over the cap ($109.6M).

The cap is set to be $109 million I'm pretty sure, lux being $132. So you'd have the MLE ($9.2M), and minimums to use (BAE is out, as we used that to sign Elfrid this season).

With these players all coming off the books that you'd need to replace :

Miller
    Randle
    Payton
    Clark
    Frazier

as well as sending out 5 players and only getting back 2 in the earlier trade. So you'd be rolling with roughly $109.6 million in salary with 7 players:

AD
    Jrue
    Beal
    Parsons
    Diallo
    Okafor
    Williams

Maybe you can re-snag payton with part of the MLE and gives a home town discount (maybe he doesn't and does a rondo).

Parsons at this point is yet to prove he can even play in the NBA and not fall to his death (which of course is guaranteed with him coming to NOLA). It just feels like Dell would have to be signing (or already have signed) a lot of fringe guys for 75% of the roster, which potentially leaves us in the same position we are already in with our depth issues (even more so potentially). Throw an injury at one of AD, Jrue or Beal and it just looks ugly quick.

Sure there could then be further moves to make, sending out parsons elsewhere but it just feels like it would be a hard sell to show AD the big picture. This is just my initial thoughts, so happy to discuss more. I guess you could talk up Parsons being a large expiring with the aim of moving him for some depth, but that's really going to have to be in the next season and there is the potential for it to not be till the deadline. That's a long time to run carrying his broken body and $25 million.

I'm just wondering if Memphis continues on its slide down, whether they look to blow it up with Gasol and Conley by the deadline. What options could that open up directly or indirectly.

I get you are taking on Parsons to purely get a 1st rounder from Memphis but give me Mahinmi who isn't inured and keep our 2nd 1st rounder if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’d much rather porter than chandler. If I’m using all my cap on 4 players anyway. I looked at it but it’d be hard to put a team around them. I think I was able to keep Okafor, Randle or Mirotic, Payton, and Jackson. Knowing they want Jackson just makes me adjust a bit but we’d have no money for other players and be right at the cap.
    We don't have the assets to get Porter AND Beal.

If AD stays you're using all of your cap for only 1 season on 4 players. Keeping your pick allows you to trade that pick next season plus Parsons' huge expiring for an asset you'd rather commit to, or just keep him and let him expire. If AD leaves, you're building around Beal and Jrue, the assets you get from an AD trade, and the front office is not buyers in free agency until 2020 anyway. Parsons is off the books when that happens.

I get you are taking on Parsons to purely get a 1st rounder from Memphis but give me Mahinmi who isn't inured and keep our 2nd 1st rounder if that's the case.
    I'd rather Parsons, but if taking Mahinmi reduces the price to only one first rounder I wouldn't be opposed. Bottom line for me is finding away to give Wiz a good deal that they'd accept without giving up our 2021. I'd bet there preference would be the deal that gets them the picks vs the deal that offloads Mahinmi. But either would probably be acceptable to the Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I could get behind getting Porter.

Washington gets: Niko, Hill, Moore, Johnson, Afernee Simons, Wade Baldwin, NOP 1st, NOP 2021 1st, POR 2nd

We get: Beal, Porter, Green and Aminu

Portland get: Randle, Satoransky

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7r7au97

Jrue/Beal/Porter/Aminu/AD could be potent offensively and defensively.

Bench not too bad either with Payton/Frank/Miller/Green/Jah

Maybe flip Clark, Diallo and a 2nd for Justin Holiday if Memphis keep sinking.

I'd rather Parsons, but if taking Mahinmi reduces the price to only one first rounder I wouldn't be opposed. Bottom line for me is finding away to give Wiz a good deal that they'd accept without giving up our 2021. I'd bet there preference would be the deal that gets them the picks vs the deal that offloads Mahinmi. But either would probably be acceptable to the Pels.
    I'm pretty sure if we take on Mahinmi without offloading Hill to Washington we could get Beal with this years pick. However it would still cost Moore, Jackson, Randle and Johnson. Then use our 2019 and 2021 2nds to trade Hill for someone like Dedmon.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 01-08-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    I don't think I can get behind this (or it's going to take a fair bit of planning to work it long term). You would have roughly $105.4 million locked up going into next season in just:

AD: 27
    Jrue: 26.7
    Beal: 27
    Parsons: 25.1

with the remainder taking you over the cap ($109.6M).

The cap is set to be $109 million I'm pretty sure, lux being $132. So you'd have the MLE ($9.2M), and minimums to use (BAE is out, as we used that to sign Elfrid this season).

With these players all coming off the books that you'd need to replace :

Miller
    Randle
    Payton
    Clark
    Frazier

as well as sending out 5 players and only getting back 2 in the earlier trade. So you'd be rolling with roughly $109.6 million in salary with 7 players:

AD
    Jrue
    Beal
    Parsons
    Diallo
    Okafor
    Williams

Maybe you can re-snag payton with part of the MLE and gives a home town discount (maybe he doesn't and does a rondo).

Parsons at this point is yet to prove he can even play in the NBA and not fall to his death (which of course is guaranteed with him coming to NOLA). It just feels like Dell would have to be signing (or already have signed) a lot of fringe guys for 75% of the roster, which potentially leaves us in the same position we are already in with our depth issues (even more so potentially). Throw an injury at one of AD, Jrue or Beal and it just looks ugly quick.

Sure there could then be further moves to make, sending out parsons elsewhere but it just feels like it would be a hard sell to show AD the big picture. This is just my initial thoughts, so happy to discuss more. I guess you could talk up Parsons being a large expiring with the aim of moving him for some depth, but that's really going to have to be in the next season and there is the potential for it to not be till the deadline. That's a long time to run carrying his broken body and $25 million.

I'm just wondering if Memphis continues on its slide down, whether they look to blow it up with Gasol and Conley by the deadline. What options could that open up directly or indirectly.
    This isn't about getting Parsons for any on court impact. This is about extracting an asset to take on salary and using it to put a legit 3rd star next to AD and Jrue. You figure it out next year using MLE and minimums if you have 3 stars. Then you have Parson's huge expiring and your 2021 draft choice to make a move at the deadline or the following off season.

Maybe you can convince Randle to do the "wink wink" opt in with a huge pay day the following year when Parsons comes off the books. Once you get the star like Beal - without giving up your 2021 - I think you actually have more flexibility than you give the team credit for, considering you'd have your big 3 locked in.

If AD leaves, who cares that we have Parsons for $24m on the books next season?!

It's the same length as Hill's contract. Worst case scenario is he's a huge expiring contract this time next year. Beal is going to require multiple 1st. The question is what's realistically out there to secure the 2nd 1st, or alternatively trading our 2019 and 2021 picks. I'd MUCH rather take on Parsons than have to trade our 2021 pick.

If AD signs super max you have a team with Jrue/Beal/AD. If AD leaves you build around Jrue, Beal, Tatum/Ingram/Simmons (or whatever assets you get for AD) and have a ton of cap space in 2020 when Parsons is done. I'd be excited about the team either way.
    I'd rather AD not leave. Adding Parsons seems to be pushing him towards that door. That contract would be untradeable unless we end up using a 1st anyway, and it wont leave us with much usable cap space when it expires. Since AD extension will kick in following next season I'm thinking.

I see where you're going with keeping the pick though. It would be nice to have it, if AD does walk.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Blasphemy. And wrong.

Never disparage the Trade Machine.

Thread Information