Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Offseason Thread

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    And take nothing back, apparently. Send $30m out, get nothing back in, to open up max space.
    It's called sign, and trade.. while also including a third team if there's complications in sending out assets your target team isn't interested in. Easy? No.. But doable. All that I've explained you already know, so it's odd to me that you're saying the things you're saying.

Now, if you don't have a desire to do what I've highlighted as an option that's fine. Make that argument, but to act as if it can't be done is strange, because I know that you know it can be done.

I would not trade a bag of chips for Rudy Gobert

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    It's called sign, and trade.. while also including a third team if there's complications in sending out assets your target team isn't interested in. Easy? No.. But doable. All that I've explained you already know, so it's odd to me that you're saying the things you're saying.

Now, if you don't have a desire to do what I've highlighted as an option that's fine. Make that argument, but to act as if it can't be done is strange, because I know that you know it can be done.
    I believe the Clippers, as a second apron team, would not be able to acquire players if they sign and trade George. Not sure if getting a third team with cap space allows them to circumvent?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    I believe the Clippers, as a second apron team, would not be able to acquire players if they sign and trade George. Not sure if getting a third team with cap space allows them to circumvent?
    And it would also require PG13 to willingly want to come to New Orleans, which Nichols has repeatedly argued that no free agents would without BI. Which begs the question of who the hell is desperate to play with BI, a mystery that will probably never be answered.
    Basketball.

Sounds like a Donovan Mitxhell trade request could be coming. Time to make a deal

You didn't read the many posts where I said you're more likely to get a burgeoning star if you have Zion and Ingram, than you are if it's only Zion? I know you have.
    Even if PG wanted to come to NOLA (which I do not see happening), where do you squeeze his contract? Are you assuming they can trade CJ without taking back any contracts? Even in a S&T, you have to find a team with a ton of cap space who also wants CJ without sending anything back. Nearly impossible to find both scenarios at once.
    Last edited by PELICANSFAN; 05-15-2024 at 12:26 PM.

Wow . Sounds like he is done in Cleveland. I wonder if this means Lebron on way back to CAVS.

Must be nice to play in the East. They need to give Vegas and Seattle their expansion teams so we can move back east.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount_Zion View Post
    Sounds like a Donovan Mitxhell trade request could be coming. Time to make a deal
    What we would have to give up I doubt most fans would be willing to. Garland seems like a more realistic target from Cleveland.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    And it would also require PG13 to willingly want to come to New Orleans, which Nichols has repeatedly argued that no free agents would without BI. Which begs the question of who the hell is desperate to play with BI, a mystery that will probably never be answered.
    I know you comprehend better than you're letting on. I keep repeating things I've already explained to you. And you deliberately misinterpret my positions to make objections. I said, it would be difficult to get free agents to come to NO. But it is possible to entice one if you have Zion, and Ingram, and a squad that's possibly on the cusp. That becomes increasingly difficult if you only have Zion. Unless (which is possible) you get two buddies to team up and come here. The same way KD, and Kyrie teamed up with the Nets, (Clippers) etc..

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Even if PG wanted to come to NOLA (which I do not see happening), where do you squeeze his contract? Are you assuming they can trade CJ without taking back any contracts? Even in a S&T, you have to find a team with a ton of cap space who also wants CJ without sending anything back. Nearly impossible to find both scenarios at once.
    Yeah, as I said in my initial post.. it would be difficult. Trades that require 3 teams usually are. Just one of many options we're all kicking around on a message board.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    What we would have to give up I doubt most fans would be willing to. Garland seems like a more realistic target from Cleveland.
    Garland would be a major get. I'm of the mind that we have 3 pretty good optionis.

1. Keep Zion, and Ingram. Acquire a solid point and stretch big. Or acquire a fledgling all-star of any position, and fill in the roster where needed.

2. Move Ingram, and pick up a fledgling all-star, and fill in roster as needed.

3. Move Ingram, pick up two role players that just about match his effectiveness. Fill roster as needed.

As I've said before I prefer the first option because it could possibly compete for a title.

Garland
    Trae
    Dejounte
    Karl Anthony Towns [ tax issues]

I think all these guys could be available

Quote Originally Posted by Mount_Zion View Post
    Garland
    Trae
    Dejounte
    Karl Anthony Towns [ tax issues]

I think all these guys could be available
    Hawks will keep one of Trae or Dejounte and given the amount of trade buzz around Young I think they’ve made their choice.

Garland would be a major get. I'm of the mind that we have 3 pretty good optionis.

1. Keep Zion, and Ingram. Acquire a solid point and stretch big. Or acquire a fledgling all-star of any position, and fill in the roster where needed.

2. Move Ingram, and pick up a fledgling all-star, and fill in roster as needed.

3. Move Ingram, pick up two role players that just about match his effectiveness. Fill roster as needed.

As I've said before I prefer the first option because it could possibly compete for a title.
    If we can agree that CJ is almost unmovable with his contract, the only option is to trade BI. Otherwise we would have to be willing to part with key pieces of our future like Trey or Herb.

Yeah, as I said in my initial post.. it would be difficult. Trades that require 3 teams usually are. Just one of many options we're all kicking around on a message board.
    Yeah, 3 team trades are tricky as it is, but finding someone to take on $30 million in additional salary is much more difficult.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yeah, 3 team trades are tricky as it is, but finding someone to take on $30 million in additional salary is much more difficult.
    I agree boss..

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    If we can agree that CJ is almost unmovable with his contract, the only option is to trade BI. Otherwise we would have to be willing to part with key pieces of our future like Trey or Herb.
    Those kind of contracts have to be paired with other desirable assets. We are in agreement.

They might be able to use this year's pick on top of CJ and dump him on a team with cap space

Maybe CJ into Pistons cap space

Or use CJ and 21 for a better use of a player from another team..
    Last edited by Mount_Zion; 05-15-2024 at 08:20 PM.

Now if you could get Mitchell that would be sweeeeeettttt

Shamit is working my trade machine. I love it . Love the Cavs deal. Somebody show this to our front office

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Thats the first trade deal that i actually like, so i assume there is no way they would want to do it.

The Franchise
    Garland might be off the table. Looks like the Lakers are aggressively pursuing D Mitchell. I don't see the Cavs trading away Garland and Mitchell.

Garland might be off the table. Looks like the Lakers are aggressively pursuing D Mitchell. I don't see the Cavs trading away Garland and Mitchell.
    They've been rumoured to want only one of the two for a while, and similarly have been associated with wanting to pare down their logjam at C. Mobley's big showing these playoffs combined with Allen's reported locker room issues (his teammates were apparently annoyed he didn't take injections to reduce his pain from injury so he could play? weird), and it may be possible that they're wanting to make a decisive action on their C for the future as well.

Which means one of Garland/Mitchell and Mobley/Allen are on the move.

I think most of us accept Allen is mostly likely there, so it comes down to whether you think Garland or Mitchell. I'm the reverse of you; I actually think this makes Garland more gettable, because not only is Mitchell the better player (and therefore the Cavs are more likely to go all-in on trying to retain him) but retaining him is apparently going to come at the explicit consequence of Garland asking out, according to the recent news. So if the Cavs are looking at both and they know that one is potentially extending and the other is already one foot out of the door in the event of that happening, they might just cut the middle man and move the edge-case and be done with it.

Of course, that's one read on the situation and I'm not saying that is for sure what will happen, but it sounds a lot to me like Mitchell wants that extension and as a result, Garland is on the outs.

I will say, I do find it very funny that they waited for the series to end and then immediately dropped:

- Bickerstaff probably getting fired because Donovan Mitchell hates him
    - Jarrett Allen was asked to get injections into his ribcage for pain relief and refused, and everyone hates him for it
    - Darius Garland is going to ask for a trade if Mitchell gets extended

Within like, 30 minutes.

They had the clip loaded for that one. Evan Mobley probably standing around in the middle of it like 50 Cent, ''what he say **** me for?''

Thread Information