Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Offseason Thread

If we lose James Borrego, the 2025-2026 is a wrap. How many great assistant coaches must pass through the Pelicans organization before they find a decent head coach (Finch, Malone, Borrego)? We have become a farm team even for coaching.

Our Front Office is pretty stupid not to realize our back up coach is much smarter than the HC. Even the Lakers can see through that.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/l...ve-of-targets/
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 05-14-2024 at 10:07 AM.

Langdon might be gone

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    If we lose James Borrego, the 2025-2026 is a wrap. How many great assistant coaches must pass through the Pelicans organization before they find a decent head coach (Finch, Malone, Borrego)? We have become a farm team even for coaching.
    And we'll have to waste time finding yet another offensive co-ordinator for Willie Green to ignore.
    Basketball.

Atlanta still interested in Herb?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Atlanta still interested in Herb?
    I'd imagine there are 29 teams ''interested'' in Herb. That question is a reflection of another that was out there gauging interest in Brandon Ingram, it's not meant to imply there's anything in the works.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I understand why the pelicans want to move on from BI and I'm not opposed to it. But I am worried that it will make the team worse. Ingram's value is low right now and most of the trades that I've seen floated don't seem likely to improve the team. I haven't seen anything to make me think the pelicans will be better next year without Brandon Ingram.

What about the possibility of giving BI a close to the max extension and trading him close to the trade deadline? Would he be more valuable? I know we'd run the risk of injury but if he plays well( can't play much worse than he did last yr) could we not get much more from him for a playoff push after the trade deadline? Is it worth taking a shot?

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    What about the possibility of giving BI a close to the max extension and trading him close to the trade deadline? Would he be more valuable? I know we'd run the risk of injury but if he plays well( can't play much worse than he did last yr) could we not get much more from him for a playoff push after the trade deadline? Is it worth taking a shot?
    I've only seen one proposal on this forum, and elsewhere that could possibly move the needle, and that's Dejounte Murray. I haven't seen anything else that makes sense to me.

With that being said, a lot of moves take place that aren't anticipated by those who aren't in the know. So maybe there's something on the table that we're unaware of.

I'd personally like to move CJ, with another attractive asset, and pick up Paul George. Him, with a solid point guard, Zion and Ingram would be a really nice squad.

He's not quite untradeable on an almost-max, but he's near it.

If you're paying BI $45m a year instead of $52m a year, that's still awful value for whoever's trying to get him. He'd be more valuable to some teams I guess, less valuable to others, and I honestly think that if we pay him $45m and then keep him, Griff will just convince himself next year when we start 22-14 that we're winning so it's fine and he'll just stand pat. If we're going to make a move I think it needs to be now, or the FO will talk themselves into running it back forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    I'd personally like to move CJ, with another attractive asset, and pick up Paul George. Him, with a solid point guard, Zion and Ingram would be a really nice squad.
    How?

You're the one who keeps pointing out that big name free agents won't come to New Orleans, and now you're just proposing we ''pick up Paul George'' as if that's some trivial thing.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    How?

You're the one who keeps pointing out that big name free agents won't come to New Orleans, and now you're just proposing we ''pick up Paul George'' as if that's some trivial thing.
    You didn't read the many posts where I said you're more likely to get a burgeoning star if you have Zion and Ingram, than you are if it's only Zion? I know you have.
    Last edited by Nichols; 05-14-2024 at 07:57 PM.

https://twitter.com/NBATradeReport/s...68381734301858 they don't really have anything to send..could be fake news as well

You didn't read the many posts where I said you're more likely to get a burgeoning star if you have Zion and Ingram, than you are if it's only Zion? I know you have.
    If you keep Ingram you have zero cap space. Well, like $14m, before you get a centre. Even if Paul George wanted to come here, we couldn't just take him on unless he was going to sign for the MLE or the vet min, which we both know he won't do.

So how are we making the space?

Quote Originally Posted by Mount_Zion View Post
    https://twitter.com/NBATradeReport/s...68381734301858 they don't really have anything to send..could be fake news as well
    Deni, Kispert, and every pick they have for the next 7 years. Deal.

Trying to figure out why they would want Ingram the year before a loaded draft- quiting the rebuild even though Ingram can still lead them to a bottom 10 record and maybe they get lotto luck like Atlanta

The question is how much is a team willing to trade for him on the deal. Even if he's playing well I don't think the offers will be better than now

Ingram is pretty much well known - lives in the mid range and doesn't take threes. Teams know this

He's not quite untradeable on an almost-max, but he's near it.

If you're paying BI $45m a year instead of $52m a year, that's still awful value for whoever's trying to get him. He'd be more valuable to some teams I guess, less valuable to others, and I honestly think that if we pay him $45m and then keep him, Griff will just convince himself next year when we start 22-14 that we're winning so it's fine and he'll just stand pat. If we're going to make a move I think it needs to be now, or the FO will talk themselves into running it back forever.
    Do you think that with him only having 1 yr left on his contract other teams might be worried that he would just not sign an extension and test the FA waters? Wouldn.t he be more attractive a trade if he were locked in @ say 45mil for 4 yrs ? Regardless of what we think Griff will think if we are winning he knows BI @ playoff time disappears. I'm just thinking what's the way to get maximum value for BI

Quote Originally Posted by Mount_Zion View Post
    Trying to figure out why they would want Ingram the year before a loaded draft- quiting the rebuild even though Ingram can still lead them to a bottom 10 record and maybe they get lotto luck like Atlanta
    I regret to inform you that quitting the rebuild does not involve getting Ingram.

Ingram is not a needle moving player. If you put him on Detroit and change nothing else, Detroit is still losing 60 games next year.

Do you think that with him only having 1 yr left on his contract other teams might be worried that he would just not sign an extension and test the FA waters? Wouldn.t he be more attractive a trade if he were locked in @ say 45mil for 4 yrs ? Regardless of what we think Griff will think if we are winning he knows BI @ playoff time disappears. I'm just thinking what's the way to get maximum value for BI
    Sure, that's why the perfect time to trade him was last offseason, but Griff - as usual - is a day late and a dollar short on things. Now we're left with what we have.

The thing is, if we want to move him now it's easier to move someone making $35m than someone making $45m, and other teams may value the security of a contract with years on it, but they also may want to try before they buy. Especially if they don't actually want him long term - large expirings have some value all of their own, though admittedly less than a player that they actually want.

With regards to the playoff point, I disagree. I think Griff likes BI a lot as a person and has tied a lot of his ego to BI. If he can find an excuse to rationalise keeping him to himself, he will do so. He will dismiss the playoffs as an outlier, and will say ''ah, but he was good against the Suns a few years ago, must have been a fluke''. If we ever make a move, it is going to be now.

The Franchise
    This is what I mean by the commentary getting carried away at times.

27.0 points, 6.2 rebounds and 6.2 assists in 6 games in the 2022 playoffs. 47%FG 40% 3PT. His first playoff appearance. OKC is only his second. So how do we get a narrative that he disappears?

The Franchise
    If you keep Ingram you have zero cap space. Well, like $14m, before you get a centre. Even if Paul George wanted to come here, we couldn't just take him on unless he was going to sign for the MLE or the vet min, which we both know he won't do.

So how are we making the space?
    Are you pretending like you haven't seen my answer to these questions already? I know you've seen the answer to the question you previously asked already, that I just answered again. I know you've seen my answer to this question you just asked also. Because I just gave it. You would have to move CJ, and another desirable asset.

Dae

Give me Booker and Kat.

I will give you the world

Minus Z and Trey

A line up Booker/Trey/Z/KAT = dynasty

Draft Terrence Shannon at SG.

Put me at PG, because F it. With that roster line up, it don’t matter
    Last edited by WhyHornetsWhy; 05-14-2024 at 11:17 PM.

Meanwhile NAW is getting eaten alive by Denver tonight. Maybe he is not ready to be a starter yet. Granted it is Denver .

Are you pretending like you haven't seen my answer to these questions already? I know you've seen the answer to the question you previously asked already, that I just answered again. I know you've seen my answer to this question you just asked also. Because I just gave it. You would have to move CJ, and another desirable asset.
    And take nothing back, apparently. Send $30m out, get nothing back in, to open up max space.

Thread Information