Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Offseason Thread

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Interesting. I mean offensively Trae and Zion would be amazing, but I dread thinking of the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Feels very Trade BI, future picks, and salary to the Hawks for Trae Young and the right to draft Alexandre Sarr to me.

Edit: it is Scoop B so y'know, grains of salt folks, but still.
    If the Pelicans want the 1st pick in the draft. All you have to do is give the guy in that picture up.

Nuggets showing that all you need is a PG + C to win it all

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Interesting. I mean offensively Trae and Zion would be amazing, but I dread thinking of the defense.
    Zion's shown he's able and willing to play NBA defense at a strong level. He spent the second half of last year playing very solid defense. Not sure what the concern is.

I really don't understand all the concern about our defense in any given trade. Our defense has been elite for years and we have won nothing for it. Meanwhile, we've found our offense clunking to a halt whenever Zion hasn't been on the floor the moment other teams try. It's clear that we need to improve, and we can either try and eke out marginal returns on an already elite defense or we can try and patch up some of the massive gaping holes in our broken offense.

The latter seems both easier to achieve and more impactful, and it has the advantage of not playing into our coach's worst habits.
    Basketball.

Everyone: Pels are moving BI
    New smoke: Hawks are moving Trae

C'mon Griff

Zion's shown he's able and willing to play NBA defense at a strong level. He spent the second half of last year playing very solid defense. Not sure what the concern is.

I really don't understand all the concern about our defense in any given trade. Our defense has been elite for years and we have won nothing for it. Meanwhile, we've found our offense clunking to a halt whenever Zion hasn't been on the floor the moment other teams try. It's clear that we need to improve, and we can either try and eke out marginal returns on an already elite defense or we can try and patch up some of the massive gaping holes in our broken offense.

The latter seems both easier to achieve and more impactful, and it has the advantage of not playing into our coach's worst habits.
    Trae, that’s the concern. CJ is already picked on by other teams.

A Trae/CJ backcourt would be like a homeless man's version of a Dame/CJ backcourt.

I really think people are overstating the worries about Trae's defense.

Yes, he's an individually bad defender. Thankfully though, teams don't play defense individually, but as a unit, and you can cover for a weak link if you have other players who are good and a scheme which accounts for them. Green has earned a lot of criticism, but one thing we should all be willing to credit him for is that he gets the team to buy in on defense and puts out defensively competent lineups in schemes that work for them. He's done that with other bad defenders, and I'm willing to bet he can cover for Trae's defensive downsides well enough that the offense can win the minutes.

And again, even if your defense gets slightly worse (let's say that instead of being 6th in Defensive for another year, we're only 9th because of Trae), that's a loss I'm willing to take if it can mean we no longer have the worst offense of the last decade every time Zion's on the bench.

''CJ's already picked on by other teams'' to the tune of the 6th best defense in basketball. Clearly, that picking is not having nearly as big an impact as you imply.

A Dame / CJ reunion here seems more logical

You may be understating it. He is beyond dreadful. He does not even try half the time. He also is very small. If Trae were coming in, CJ would have to be going out. When comparing the two as a locker room presence and teammate, that is a negative move.

Wow it might happen

With how Garland looks and a change of scenery possible

I could see an Ingram for Garland swap

I actually re-watched that Suns series recently and man, people massively over-credit BI for that.

He had two excellent games. We won one of them, lost the other. His other four games were incredibly mid. He didn't ''almost carry us to a victory over the Suns'' - we lost in 6 and he was bad in all of the losses bar one.

That's not me bagging on him either, he was asked to carry a burden he's not meant to carry because he's not that guy and we all know it. He did a great showing as a #2 that just didn't have a #1 there. But can we not revisionist history that series, please.

Edit: just want to be clear, I am not blaming Ingram for that. He did what he could, and in a couple of games, that was a lot, but he was being asked to do more than was reasonable for his level and role on the team. No blame on him for us losing that series either, it's not his fault at all.
    My point is Ingram isn?t the issue so much as the circumstances. Young inexperienced coach that is still learning, incompetent front office and ownership and lots of other issues have plagued us. It really makes sense now than ever to move on from Ingram. Things just didn?t work out and we already have his replacement.

I don’t think it’s even being properly stated if I’m being honest.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 05-13-2024 at 04:38 PM.

''CJ's already picked on by other teams'' to the tune of the 6th best defense in basketball. Clearly, that picking is not having nearly as big an impact as you imply.
    Yep no impact at all especially in the playoffs.

Yep no impact at all especially in the playoffs.
    Absolutely, with that matchup there to seek out OKC managed to absolutely kill us to the tune of 10 points worse than their regular season ORtg, and fewer points per game than they've been able to manage against defending champion Nuggets.

Honest to God, the way people talk about that series you'd swear that the issue was that we were getting killed defensively. That wasn't even top 5 as an issue. The defense was fine, they had a ton of trouble scoring reliably, even with that blatantly obvious target to 'pick on'.

Listening to the new From the Wing podcast (hosted by Christian Clark, so grains of salt folks, keep them in mind) and he says this about Stein's reporting on Ingram. Starting at about 21 minutes in.

''Will they run it back next year with all of them? I think the way I put it was that it was a possibility but not an inevitability that one of them gets moved and if one of them gets moved you're probably looking at Brandon Ingram. Marc Stein, who writes an excellent Substack obviously, Marc Stein, very reliable, this was the language he used; ''Ingram's exit is increasingly viewed by various league observers as an inevitability, rather than a possibility''. Basically what Stein is saying is, according to what other people from other teams are telling him, is that it's inevitable that Brandon Ingram gets moved. I thought that was, I made a big note of that. I wrote something about Ingram over the weekend and the thing to know in there is that I have been told there is just not a world where Brandon Ingram gets the full max extension from the Pelicans of $208m over 4 years, $52m in average annual value. There's just not a world where the Pelicans say ''we're going to pay you $52m a year''. From what I heard, maybe there's a willingness for a number smaller than that, but yeah that is all of the stuff I know right now. Marc Stein talks to a lot more people than me, so yeah.''

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount_Zion View Post
    Wow it might happen

With how Garland looks and a change of scenery possible

I could see an Ingram for Garland swap
    He's a better option than Young..

Anthony Davis about lose his friend?

I’m going to guess he has made up his mind

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    For Austin Reaves, Rui Hachimura, and the pick we could actively swap to if we wanted already.

Absolute garbage.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    They would need to get a third team involved for it to work. As someone who actually watches the Lakers. Rui is a solid player, Auston as well. With that being said, they are role players. Neither on the cusp of being stars.

If people want to get rid of Willie, Griff should draft LeBron, oops, I mean Bronny. Because we know LeBron would fire Willie half way through the season.

Disclaimer: This post was sarcasm for those that missed it.

Thread Information