Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mount_Zion View Post
    https://hoopshype.com/lists/pelicans...s-free-agency/

Also Jonas no surprise is likely to be gone

Yep

As you say, no real surprise. He's not getting a giant paycheque here in the first place, and while he's been a consummate professional Green's refusal to give him reasonable minutes or opportunities has got to be grating for someone who is in the last major stage of their career. For him, if it doesn't come now it isn't happening at all. He can't be happy that's being stifled.
    Basketball.

Yeah. I still believe the Pels win game 1 vs OKC if Green leaves Jonas on the court. OKC was rusty and Pels had golden opportunity to take the game. Even if the Pels wanted him back, he most likely doesn't want to play for Green anyways.

Spurs might be an interesting shot term spot for Jonas.Wemby is actually the perfect defender to put next to a guy like Jonas plus Wembys shooting upside only helps.

Jonas will go somewhere where he will get playing time. A shame Willie did know how to utilize him.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Jonas will go somewhere where he will get playing time. A shame Willie did know how to utilize him.
    Where is he going to go that will give him significantly more minutes? This season he only played 2mpg less than his career average. Most he’s ever averaged in a season was 30 and that was with us 3 years ago. I’d like to keep him around bc certain matchups he’s a huge advantage, but it would have to be at a price another team likely would be willing to pay more. But his issue is he was born in the wrong NBA generation. That being said

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Where is he going to go that will give him significantly more minutes? This season he only played 2mpg less than his career average. Most he’s ever averaged in a season was 30 and that was with us 3 years ago. I’d like to keep him around bc certain matchups he’s a huge advantage, but it would have to be at a price another team likely would be willing to pay more. But his issue is he was born in the wrong NBA generation. That being said

Someone already gave you one answer. Spurs

BR now has article on B.I. being moved. Most of it we knew already.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...idate-by-execs

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Remember when some said Josh Hart will never get minutes in NY? How is that going?

The Franchise
    Remember when some said Josh Hart will never get minutes in NY? How is that going?
    Day one, Josh has always been a solid player. Never really played like a rookie. Those extra years playing in college paid off for him.

The Franchise
    BR now has article on B.I. being moved. Most of it we knew already.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...idate-by-execs
    " It's not too long ago that some believed Ingram would be a better player than Jayson Tatum.

Ingram has instead settled into a middle ground as a good-but-not-great player, and it's understandable that the Pelicans would want to shake things up."

There was a time where he played like that was his trajectory. What he is now is a product of stubbornness and bad coaching. Lakers aren't very good at developing young talent. Randle, Kuzma, Hart, Ball, Ingram, and Jordan Clarkson all developed at a higher rate after leaving.

It seems WG just isn't the guy to break him, to the point where he makes a fundamental change in how he plays. Coach Pop might be the guy. I don't even think he understands why he played as bad as he did against OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    I?m starting to warm up to the idea of Trae Young for Ingram. Trae fits this roster perfectly and any offensive player that can save Willie from himself is a must add IMO.
    I don't think he fits well at all. He has been known to be a ball hog. He is also very small, takes some dumb shots and turns the ball over a lot. His defense makes CJ look like Herb. And he has 3 years/$138 million remaining on his contract (average $46 million a year!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mount_Zion View Post
    Spurs might be an interesting shot term spot for Jonas.Wemby is actually the perfect defender to put next to a guy like Jonas plus Wembys shooting upside only helps.
    Agree. That would be a nice fit for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Maybe your question was rhetorical, but if you want to know why CJ changed his game it's because he's a smart, thoughtful, mature player who has 10+ years in the league and is secure enough both financially (contract extension) and emotionally to be able to adjust. If you want to know why Herb changed his game (I don't think he really changed, he's just shooting more 3s because he's shooting them better this year), it's because he doesn't want to be ignored by defenses/played off the floor. If you want to know why Naji changed his game (has he?), it's so he can stay in the league. None of those things really apply to BI...he sees himself as a star and thinks he's most effective with the ball in his hands...he also thinks that's the key to his next contract, so if you want to know why he won't change there's over 200MM reasons why.
    No I get why all of those guys altered their game, for a couple of reasons 1 was to fit better with Z. Another is to make their game more up-to-date with today's NBAWhich is what BI is either refusing or is extremely reluctant to do

CJ probably not going anywhere. The man is a philanthropist. Gayle loves that.
    I'm fine with keeping the CJ that was playing well later in the yr in spite of his bad D. My issue is just like he has done most of his career he just disappears come playoff time. He did it in Portland and he did it here. To me If we get Trae then CJ would be so much better off the bench.and staggered mins with Z

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I feel like most people who support a move for Trae are also supportive of trying to move CJ during the season as well. Certainly, it would involve moving CJ to the bench while he was still here, to minimise some of that.

Of course, that brings up the question as to whether CJ would sacrifice that much. Personally, I feel like he might, but I don't know him well enough to say for sure.
    What's a realistic return for CJ if we get Trae?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Yep

As you say, no real surprise. He's not getting a giant paycheque here in the first place, and while he's been a consummate professional Green's refusal to give him reasonable minutes or opportunities has got to be grating for someone who is in the last major stage of their career. For him, if it doesn't come now it isn't happening at all. He can't be happy that's being stifled.
    Can anyone blame JV for wanting to get away from bonehead WG? The disrespect he was shown by WG he's lucky JV didn't curse him out

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    " It's not too long ago that some believed Ingram would be a better player than Jayson Tatum.

Ingram has instead settled into a middle ground as a good-but-not-great player, and it's understandable that the Pelicans would want to shake things up."

There was a time where he played like that was his trajectory. What he is now is a product of stubbornness and bad coaching. Lakers aren't very good at developing young talent. Randle, Kuzma, Hart, Ball, Ingram, and Jordan Clarkson all developed at a higher rate after leaving.

It seems WG just isn't the guy to break him, to the point where he makes a fundamental change in how he plays. Coach Pop might be the guy. I don't even think he understands why he played as bad as he did against OKC.
    C'mon man he's been the league 9 yrs he knows what he's doing wrong. He just wants to play HIS game and do what HE wants to do SMH

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    C'mon man he's been the league 9 yrs he knows what he's doing wrong. He just wants to play HIS game and do what HE wants to do SMH
    "What he is now is a product of stubbornness and bad coaching."

Did you miss that part of my statement??

Yeah I guess EVERY coach he's ever had was bad. He got SVG fired and he couldn't get Kerr fired or he would have

Basketball Guru
    watching the knicks playing shorthanded and hard is just making me depressed that we couldnt put out that kind of energy with a full team minus zion...

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    Yeah I guess EVERY coach he's ever had was bad. He got SVG fired and he couldn't get Kerr fired or he would have
    Are you in the habit of adding more to what someone has communicated to fish for a point of contention? I didn't say or imply what you're ascribing to me. I shouldn't have to re-explain what I said. Bad habits were reinforced while he was developing. In off seasons, the young players I mentioned were left to work on their games by themselves. Luke being a young coach himself wasn't in a position to help instill what's needed.

Where do you get Every coach from? He couldn't get Kerr fired? You're off in left field. I said he was stubborn, and had some bad coaching.

Ingram almost carried us to a victory over the Suns in Willie Green’s rookie year as a coach. He is not the problem. I do think somebody needs to be moved since Willie is being kept. We need to build a functioning team and Zion is the better option with contract and other things taken into account. We also have Trey Murphy who could replace Ingram. Zion doesn’t have a replacement. It makes sense to move on from Ingram due to his contract. CJ puts us in a bit of a tough spot because we can’t move him. Build a team that can win with and without Zion on the court. Bring in depth that can deal with the regular season and let Zion handle the postseason. That should be the play.

Someone already gave you one answer. Spurs
    No someone said they would be a nice fit. I seriously doubt they would give him 30 minutes a game.

We get it you hate the coach, but statements like this are just incredibly inaccurate. Jonas has only been here 3 out of his 13 year career and Willie has played him the same if not more than any other coach that came before us. His first year here he played more mpg than he has anywhere else his entire career. What JV is now is a product of being a 2000s big with an old school skill set who hasn’t addapted to the new NBA.

I’ll reiterate there are matchups where he’s a huge favorite and offense should run through him. However more often than not he’s too slow to defend his counterpart and is most affective within 12 feet of the rim. That doesn’t mix well when 1 of your star players operates almost exclusively in the paint and another almost exclusively in the mid range.

Thread Information