Pelicans Report

Page 50 of 59 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1466

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    The flaw of the immediate need being filled is that Mathurin isn’t really going to see the floor. Murphy, Kira, Herb, Zion, Jose all getting those minutes
    Right. No one in this draft outside of the top 5 is playing meaningful minutes before the all star break at best

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Correct. You don?t draft for current roster need. But you need to be cognizant of the players developmental path.
    Would Sharpe fall into the same category Dieng as far as development path is concerned? Or is it brighter for him because he is more of play finisher?

Sochan actually will need the ball a bit more as a creator early in his career because he wont be guarded if he doesn’t have the ball. Daniels is a good cutter and a good enough shooting threat and can attack better off close outs so people will stay tighter on him.

Daniels has always been the perfect pick and a month ago, every mock had him available at 8. Freaking AJ Griffin not killing the process has the Pels on the verge of not getting any of their top 7
    I disagree. Daniels isn't a good enough shooting threat to keep opponents on him at the arc. At least not yet. Sochan is the better shooter percentage wise, and has a quicker release. I think the lack of shooting becomes magnified when the poor shooter is a guard as opposed to a power forward. Especially if you want to keep Sochan at the dunker's position, his three point shot is less of an issue. Daniel's on the other hand becomes a more significant offensive liability if he can't or won't shoot from the arc.

From these trains of thought, one could surmise that the Spurs are the ones who should pick Dieng instead of us

Sharpe is a play finisher. He needs the game to be as simple as possible the first few years. Play hard D, finish on offense when it comes your way. That’s it. And that will be available here as long as he plays D
    @mcnamara247

The flaw of the immediate need being filled is that Mathurin isn?t really going to see the floor. Murphy, Kira, Herb, Zion, Jose all getting those minutes
    Mathurin would almost immediately get Graham's minutes. I think we're overestimating our depth. It's almost certain we're going to see injuries pop up. There is also no guaruntee that Jose isn't going to have a sophmore slump, especially now that everyone has a info on his game. He wouldn't be the first NBA player that came out of nowhere, flashed, and then disappeared again.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 06-22-2022 at 09:36 AM.

From these trains of thought, one could surmise that the Spurs are the ones who should pick Dieng instead of us
    The team who loves him as much as us is Cleveland. That’s where his promise is and they would be a great fit for him. Can be on ball but doesn’t have to create all the time. He could reach his ceiling there IMO

If you were to look at their shots side by side, you would prefer Daniel’s shot. Also, position wouldn’t matter because our “forwards” are primary initiators. Finally, putting Sochan at the dunker would hinder the offense significantly

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Mathurin would almost immediately get Graham's minutes. I think we're overestimating our depth.
    I would use Trey’s development path set by the team to earning minutes as the precedent for Mathurin’s minutes. And Trey came in as a better defender. Trey also didn’t have Zion in front of him. Lastly, Graham probably has about 4 minutes a game depending on what we want to see from Kira, if we threw out the “earn it” attitude that the team has

The team who loves him as much as us is Cleveland. That’s where his promise is and they would be a great fit for him. Can be on ball but doesn’t have to create all the time. He could reach his ceiling there IMO
    They must be looking to trade up. Unless they teams before them like the big men better

Agree but Trey had way less in front of him. The new guy coming in is gonna have what Trey had in front of him plus Zion, Nance, and Trey

The pick ain’t getting real minutes this year. Don’t matter who he is

If you were to look at their shots side by side, you would prefer Daniel’s shot. Also, position wouldn’t matter because our “forwards” are primary initiators. Finally, putting Sochan at the dunker would hinder the offense significantly
    We're going to have to agree to disagree here. Dyson's jump shot is slow. Even unguarded in a gym just putting up jumpers, it's slow. He'll probably improve once he puts on some muscle (hopefully). Sochan's form is fine. He releases it from his fingertips, and his shot has a good arc to it. And he gets it off much quicker. It's just not very consistent. I don't think putting Sochan in the dunker's spot is a problem. Assuming that Zion picks up where he left off. Remember Zion played with Adams and it didn't keep him from getting to the rim at will. Sochan has better hands than Adams and is a quicker dunker.

Mathurin would almost immediately get Graham's minutes. I think we're overestimating our depth. It's almost certain we're going to see injuries pop up. There is also no guaruntee that Jose isn't going to have a sophmore slump, especially now that everyone has a info on his game. He wouldn't be the first NBA player that came out of nowhere, flashed, and then disappeared again.
    Naji is a better player right now than Mathurin. Guy got legitimate minutes in the playoffs because Willie loves the effort he brings defensively. Mathurin would not play meaningful minutes immediately

I agree with a lot of the convo going on and I think I would end up picking Johnny Davis with 8th pick if Daniels and Mathurin are gone. He has his flaws like other potential picks but I think what he brings to the table fits more with what the team is trying to build culturally (I also, can see him getting playing time. Not a lot but he can contribute). I think when the dust settles Graham will be traded for something but Jax stays on the roster to start the season.

What Graham minutes? Again, you need to start by taking last year and adding 30+ for Zion. Add another 10-12 for Murphy. Nance gets more than he got in reg season because he is healthy now

There are no Graham minutes, even without the pick. Do the 240 exercise!!!!

I would use Trey’s development path set by the team to earning minutes as the precedent for Mathurin’s minutes. And Trey came in as a better defender. Trey also didn’t have Zion in front of him. Lastly, Graham probably has about 4 minutes a game depending on what we want to see from Kira, if we threw out the “earn it” attitude that the team has
    You're making assumptions that were going to stay perfectly healthy throughout the year. We won't. Right now we're counting on a second year player to be our only consistent catch and shoot three point threat on the team. What happens god forbid if Trey goes down? Our lack of depth especially when it comes to three point shooting is a problem.

What Graham minutes? Again, you need to start by taking last year and adding 30+ for Zion. Add another 10-12 for Murphy. Nance gets more than he got in reg season because he is healthy now

There are no Graham minutes, even without the pick. Do the 240 exercise!!!!
    See my point above. We don't have significant shooting depth on this team, especially from behind the arc. If we jettison Graham, our only catch and shoot threat is Murphy. That's a problem.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. Dyson's jump shot is slow. Even unguarded in a gym just putting up jumpers, it's slow. He'll probably improve once he puts on some muscle (hopefully). Sochan's form is fine. He releases it from his fingertips, and his shot has a good arc to it. And he gets it off much quicker. It's just not very consistent. I don't think putting Sochan in the dunker's spot is a problem. Assuming that Zion picks up where he left off. Remember Zion played with Adams and it didn't keep him from getting to the rim at will. Sochan has better hands than Adams and is a quicker dunker.
    I can assure you that the Pels FO likes Dyson's jumper more than Sochan's

As far as pure form is concerned, I prefer Daniels. Especially off the dribble. We can agree to disagree there. But as far as Stephen Adams and Zion, wouldn’t it be Jonas in that spot?

And yet when the games really mattered, Graham got less and less minutes. And again, you gotta steal 30 minutes for Zion.

Show me your 240. Just do the exercise and watch how many better players you have to steal from to give Graham minutes

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    I agree with a lot of the convo going on and I think I would end up picking Johnny Davis with 8th pick if Daniels and Mathurin are gone. He has his flaws like other potential picks but I think what he brings to the table fits more with what the team is trying to build culturally (I also, can see him getting playing time. Not a lot but he can contribute). I think when the dust settles Graham will be traded for something but Jax stays on the roster to start the season.
    I just don’t think Davis is going to be as good as any of the players we’ve mentioned previously in 3-5 years. He does have biggest nuts on the court vibes though. I’d say jax is gone before Graham as well

See my point above. We don't have significant shooting depth on this team, especially from behind the arc. If we jettison Graham, our only catch and shoot threat is Murphy. That's a problem.
    Dude we have CJ Mccollum and Brandon Ingram. Or are you just referring to off the bench?

Ingram, funnily enough, has always been a better C&S guy than an off-the-dribble guy from behind the arc. I know that last year he had a down year, but it's reasonable to assume that he'll bounce back and with Zion (presumably) healthy and therefore playing some possessions with the ball in his hands, BI can be considered another floor spacer and shooter in certain contexts.

CJ also exists, and Herb has shown he can knock down a decent percentage of his open 3s. JV is also a reasonable shooter for a big.
    Basketball.

You're making assumptions that were going to stay perfectly healthy throughout the year. We won't. Right now we're counting on a second year player to be our only consistent catch and shoot three point threat on the team. What happens god forbid if Trey goes down? Our lack of depth especially when it comes to three point shooting is a problem.
    You don’t draft in the lottery for depth though. Also with our current roster, generating offense isn’t going to be our issue.

I just don’t think Davis is going to be as good as any of the players we’ve mentioned previously in 3-5 years. He does have biggest nuts on the court vibes though. I’d say jax is gone before Graham as well
    I think you have to factor in the team for which a player goes to. We have mentioned that our roster will not support a lot of extra minutes so I believe you are drafting for fit and what truly enhances your team. We are lucky to be in this position in my opinion as other teams need to take a swing/miss approach. I just feel that Griffin will look for a solid fit guy that helps our core win more games (that might be better locker room guys, practice guys and just flat out hustle and D guys).

Thread Information