Pelicans Report

Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1466

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I'd laugh. It's more entertaining when the draft throws you curve balls and doesn't match the mock consensus.

As a fan, I feel like this is a complete bonus and I'm appreciating the entertainment value of the lead up, the debates, and hopefully the draft itself on Thursday. This team's floor and ceiling for the next few years is not tied to this pick and that's a great spot to be in.
    Funny enough, traditionally if the Pelicans drafted a guy like Dieng at the 8 spot, they would get absolutely torched by national media and even local media. On the other hand, if the Spurs grabbed Dieng at 9, national media would say it's a classic Spurs pick and what do they know about this guy that we don't. And I feel like those reputations were earned, for the most part.

Now, it feels like the media perceptive of the Pelicans front office has done a 180, and I bet you see general praise for whoever they pick at 8. Amazing what one good season can do for you, but it's nice to have a year where it doesn't feel like our FO is acting with their first priority being to save their own butt with short sighted moves. Griff has definitely earned a little extra leash

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Would make sense, right? It’s a whole new era. As I said the other day, teams aren’t picking players any more. Players are picking teams. Even without guarantees, many of these guys are canceling workouts. Pels had a super week planned and when it was all said and done, only Griffin did everything agreed to when it was all set up. And I am not even talking lotto dudes. Other guys projected to go late teens cancelled. This new world is chaos
    Do you know if Griffin looked good?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I know he didn’t play against the guys they wanted him to play against and when that happens, there is very little to learn. He was brought in more to compete against the guys they really want (who didn’t show or didn’t play) and for medicals
    @mcnamara247

My hope is that as normally happens, a surprise occurs in the top 6-8 picks that was unexpected and pushes someone to us. It is rare for the top 8 to go as mocked. Fingers crossed.

. But with recent intel, I now actually think staying at 10 and picking Dieng is more likely than a trade down. Really need someone to grab Sharpe between 4-7
    Just a slip, or is something being discussed with Washington about a trade down to 10 (as Shamit suggested)?

Slip.

But 10 is the lowest the Pels feel they can go and get those guys. Sochan would go 9 and a team that has promised Dieng could easily move up to 10. Pels really dont want to move down to 12. Feel pretty sure both will be gone

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Dyson Daniels shot 25 percent for 3 point? oof. man, that is tough.

When I watched film (briefly and ignorantly), I thought Griffin was slow and Davis/Mathurin played too small.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Dyson Daniels shot 25 percent for 3 point? oof. man, that is tough.
    Looking at stats from a 14 game sample size is one way to go about it. Not the right way, but its a way

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Looking at stats from a 14 game sample size is one way to go about it. Not the right way, but its a way
    Break down his 3 point shooting the right way then. I would love for someone to make me feel better about it, and Im actually not being a sarcastic a-hole when I say that, even though you are.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Break down his 3 point shooting the right way then. I would love for someone to make me feel better about it, and Im actually not being a sarcastic a-hole when I say that, even though you are.
    I just associate oof with sarcasm. Apparently his shooting has looked pretty good in his workouts, and he has good form, albeit a little slow. Ignite was a total mess from a spacing perspective and no one was creating open looks for Daniels. Compare that to a guy like Sochan who shot 30%, but was pretty much only shooting if it was a wide open look off the catch.

Updated odds

Daniels 4:1
    Mathurin 4:1
    Dieng 6:1
    Trade Down 10:1
    Murray 15:1
    Sochan 15:1
    Sharpe 20:1

Daniels or Mathurin are there, I think they are the pick. But with recent intel, I now actually think staying at 10 and picking Dieng is more likely than a trade down. Really need someone to grab Sharpe between 4-7
    Jesus christ, if this FO chooses Dieng over Sharpe, I will never be able to follow the draft again. That would be a monumental disappointment. That's why I'm just hoping Daniels or Mathurin fall, so we're not in that situation.

What if Dieng turns out better and/or Sharpe busts? Would you find your way back? Or would you stay away on principle? Lol

I just associate oof with sarcasm. Apparently his shooting has looked pretty good in his workouts, and he has good form, albeit a little slow. Ignite was a total mess from a spacing perspective and no one was creating open looks for Daniels. Compare that to a guy like Sochan who shot 30%, but was pretty much only shooting if it was a wide open look off the catch.
    There is nothing sarcastic about that oof, its a genuine representation of the pain of watching the Pelicans brick 3 pointers and rank bottom 5 in the NBA for 3pt%, during an era where three point shooting has become an integral part of the game. Perimeter shooting is an area we desperately need to improve. The idea of drafting a guard who is below average in three point shooting makes me say oof in a completely earnest way. But I am open to believing Daniels is a much better 3 point shooter than that 25 percent indicates, i mean he cant be much worse.

What if Dieng turns out better and/or Sharpe busts? Would you find your way back? Or would you stay away on principle? Lol
    Do you buy the Sharpe comparisons to Ant Edwards? If there is even a decent chance that he could turn out to be like that, I would hope we would take a chance on him (if the top 7 are gone).

I don’t see ANT from a quick twitch physical profile. His ceiling to me was always more young Ray Allen. Remember ceiling, not likely to reach.

Lately, I am thinking more Lavine. Explosive vertical athlete who can score on all 3 levels. Not really a playmaker, and the difference between 1 time All Star and 8x All Star would be if he gives effort on D

I don’t see ANT from a quick twitch physical profile. His ceiling to me was always more young Ray Allen. Remember ceiling, not likely to reach.

Lately, I am thinking more Lavine. Explosive vertical athlete who can score on all 3 levels. Not really a playmaker, and the difference between 1 time All Star and 8x All Star would be if he gives effort on D
    That’s how I see him, like a Levine/JR Smith

Sharpe is no where near Anthony Edward's or Ray Allen. If he was even close to that type of prospect he would go top 3. I don't understand why everyone is pumping him up. I seriously doubt he is even picked in the top 5. The team that drafts him is simply taking a gamble that he somehow becomes a superstar. I saw where Shamit had him at 10 today which is about where he should go (between 10 or 12).

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    Sharpe is no where near Anthony Edward's or Ray Allen. If he was even close to that type of prospect he would go top 3. I don't understand why everyone is pumping him up. I seriously doubt he is even picked in the top 5. The team that drafts him is simply taking a gamble that he somehow becomes a superstar. I saw where Shamit had him at 10 today which is about where he should go (between 10 or 12).
    You understand the term ceiling right? Nobody should say any of these prospects ARE anything

If we KNEW what they would be, Giannis wouldnt go 15. Jokic wouldnt go 41.etc
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 06-20-2022 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    I don’t know Shamit but I’d be willing to bet he has Sharpe 10 based on a lack of info, not based on potential. If Shamit had the information on Sharpe that NBA teams are privy to, he would likely either have him in his top 5 or entirely out of his top 10. Having him 10th is just a way of hedging bets

You understand the term ?ceiling? right? Nobody should say any of these prospects ARE anything

If we KNEW what they would be, Giannis wouldn?t go 15. Jokic wouldn?t go 41.etc
    I think it’s comical that people don’t understand this when talking comparisons lol

Don’t shoot the messenger

I can tell you either haven?t watched many of their games or maybe just different games than I watched. Sochan is a much more willing shooter than Daniels from the games I watched. And not just wide open threes. Daniels seems to be a more reluctant three point shooter even when his opponents back off him and dare him to shoot. A lot of that is probably because Daniels seems to think of himself as a pass first point guard, and partly because he probably recognizes his weaknesses. Also most of Daniels attempts that I saw were the catch and shoot variety, I didn?t see him coming off screens and launching into shots.

I?ve also seen games where both seemed to be feeling it, so there?s potential for both with their shots. The one thing I like about Sochan?s shot over Daniel?s is that Sochan has a quicker release. Daniel?s shot just seems slow to me even in an empty gym.

Edit: eh, you’re right Dyson did shoot more per game, 3.6 Vs 2.7. Not sure how meaningful that is though considering Dyson’s playing point while Sochan is basically a power forward for Baylor
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 06-21-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Don’t shoot the messenger
    Is this new news?
    I mean the Pelicans are going to have a hard time drafting this guy especially if he doesn’t work out for us, we’d have very little to go on. If his workouts went well with the teams ahead of us than they’ll probably draft him. If they pass on him we might have to take that as a warning sign.

I would love if Sharpe went before us. Then Murray, Daniels, or Mathurin would fall to us. Possibly even Ivey

Thread Information