Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

All 4 teams left are pretty good 3pt makers and are versatile defensively.

To me, versatility is king. Not shooting. Warriors have perhaps the two greatest shooters of all time but what has truly always put them over the top is their ability to play multiple ways, coupled with uniquely high IQ and humbleness of their stats

And what if Boston wins the title? What is king then? Defense and versatility, right with one or two guys carrying the bulk of the scoring. Sounds like the Pels

Daniels, Sochan, or Dieng. But again, that isn’t slamming Mathurin.
    @mcnamara247

And soon you will read Dieng has top 10 buzz. They are always a few weeks behind, but they eventually catch up lol

Apparently Dyson ran the fastest shuttle time at the combine. I guess he’s not slowish.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Apparently Dyson ran the fastest shuttle time at the combine. I guess he’s not slowish.
    And a 3/4 sprint that would have been tied for 1st last year, so….yeah

I'd love to see Daniels go in the top 7. I just don't see it with him. Possible it's just because he's very raw right now. As for the supposed buzz around him, I've been looking at the forums for the Kings, Pistons, Pacers, and Blazers, and I don't see anyone from the Kings or Pistons even discussing Daniels other than saying he's not top 5, and knocking the report of him having top 5 buzz as delusional. Most discussion on him at all that I see is from Portland. Who knows though with GMs. Kings fans wanted Luka and we see how that turned out. But we'll also see these stories about players generating buzz when it's really just their agents doing it.

One thing I also noticed is that a lot of Kings, Pistons, and Pacers fans are hoping that they don't draft Murray. And the consensus from Pacers fans seems to be that they want Mathurin. I don't see a lot of talk regarding Sharpe, but that's probably because we haven't seen him play against anything other than high schoolers. It's incredibly hard to judge that without seeing private workouts.

Good number of Kings fans right now seem to think it's between Murray, Ivey, and Mathurin though if they stay at 4. I did notice that the Kings are working out Murray, Eason, Daniels, Dieng, Mark Williams, Agbaji, among some players that might be there in the 2nd round. I'm curious with some of the players they're working out like Agbaji and Dieng if they might consider trading down a few spots (could this be like New Orleans swapping 8 to 4?).

All that being said, people probably need to temper their expectations on how good the player the Pelicans pick is going to be. Odds are they're not going to be anything special. Look at the 7-9 picks historically. Jaxson Hayes for example was the 8th pick and even the players taking around him haven't turned out special yet. And odds are that at least one player that goes from 9-15 is going to be pretty good and potentially an all star, and Pelicans fans are going to be kicking themselves and saying that we should have taken that player, or that they were right about that player even though they mentioned like 20 players as possibilities and prefer to play the Monday morning quarterback route.
    Last edited by bradael; 05-21-2022 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Shooting is still king with GSW coming back to dominance.

It's Daniels or Bennedict for me.

I can't see anything wrong. I do see Daniel as draft riser to 6th or 7th. I hope both fall to use so we don't settle.
    In this post season teams that win 3pt contest in efficiency and/or 3 point made are 58-15. Ties in 3pm deferred to efficiency. Gross efficiency disparity would also dictate certain results. There was also about 5 or so games that could flip either way, but I mostly put them in the L column except for one.

defense this or defense that. At the end of the day, you need otherworldly shooters just as much you need defense. I still have Daniels above Bennedict tho.

In this post season teams that win 3pt contest in efficiency and/or 3 point made are 58-15. Ties in 3pm deferred to efficiency. Gross efficiency disparity would also dictate certain results. There was also about 5 or so games that could flip either way, but I mostly put them in the L column except for one.

defense this or defense that. At the end of the day, you need otherworldly shooters just as much you need defense. I still have Daniels above Bennedict tho.
    Thats assuming that it is the shooting that is 100% responsible for the disparity. Could it not be that the two teams have similar shooting and Team A makes Team B take harder shots, thereby making their percentage lower?

When you have versatile defenders, you can switch, hedge and recover, etc and prevent the open drive and kick looks. When you have Jonas at center and Graham and CJ at guard, you give up way better looks than the switchable Celtics.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    I'd love to see Daniels go in the top 7. I just don't see it with him. Possible it's just because he's very raw right now. As for the supposed buzz around him, I've been looking at the forums for the Kings, Pistons, Pacers, and Blazers, and I don't see anyone from the Kings or Pistons even discussing Daniels other than saying he's not top 5, and knocking the report of him having top 5 buzz as delusional. Most discussion on him at all that I see is from Portland. Who knows though with GMs. Kings fans wanted Luka and we see how that turned out. But we'll also see these stories about players generating buzz when it's really just their agents doing it.

One thing I also noticed is that a lot of Kings, Pistons, and Pacers fans are hoping that they don't draft Murray. And the consensus from Pacers fans seems to be that they want Mathurin. I don't see a lot of talk regarding Sharpe, but that's probably because we haven't seen him play against anything other than high schoolers. It's incredibly hard to judge that without seeing private workouts.

Good number of Kings fans right now seem to think it's between Murray, Ivey, and Mathurin though if they stay at 4. I did notice that the Kings are working out Murray, Eason, Daniels, Dieng, Mark Williams, Agbaji, among some players that might be there in the 2nd round. I'm curious with some of the players they're working out like Agbaji and Dieng if they might consider trading down a few spots (could this be like New Orleans swapping 8 to 4?).

All that being said, people probably need to temper their expectations on how good the player the Pelicans pick is going to be. Odds are they're not going to be anything special. Look at the 7-9 picks historically. Jaxson Hayes for example was the 8th pick and even the players taking around him haven't turned out special yet. And odds are that at least one player that goes from 9-15 is going to be pretty good and potentially an all star, and Pelicans fans are going to be kicking themselves and saying that we should have taken that player, or that they were right about that player even though they mentioned like 20 players as possibilities and prefer to play the Monday morning quarterback route.
    Read your post again, especially your first paragraph. Your reasoning resolves around fans opinion. Like, you realize thats insane, right? No fan, a month before the draft would have thought Patrick Williams would go top 5. Or Haliburton would fall to 12 or Barnes would go ahead of Suggs.

None of those people actually watch these guys. The entirity of their opinion and projection comes from a norm set by the mock drafts they see. Then, once enough of those mock drafts have guys being picked in a new range, magically those fans will start thinking that guy is worth that pick too.

Josh Primo was a "reach" - not because these people actually watch stuff and know what they are talking about. He was a reach because the fans who looked at 100 mock drafts never saw his name in the top 18, so taking him at 12 is a "crazy reach"

Like 3 guys actually watch stuff - the top amongst them being Givony and Schmitz, so if they say that is the buzz, it means way more than a 1000 virgins on a message board pretending to know but really just reciting the mocks they read on the interwebs
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 05-22-2022 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Thats assuming that it is the shooting that is 100% responsible for the disparity. Could it not be that the two teams have similar shooting and Team A makes Team B take harder shots, thereby making their percentage lower?

When you have versatile defenders, you can switch, hedge and recover, etc and prevent the open drive and kick looks. When you have Jonas at center and Graham and CJ at guard, you give up way better looks than the switchable Celtics.
    When you're 27th in 3p%... And 24th in 3PA. It was dead last before CJ got here. A 12th best defense with super young guys that only gonna get better simply through continuity and internal growth.

Jonas, Graham, and CJ are our only sour spots. If we want to hedge our bets.

I want to improve the defense in the paint and the rim badly, but I don't want to draft Duren or Mark Williams 8th overall for a true shot blocker or Rim protector. I think the perimeter defense is gonna improve without a necessary infusion of draft talent.

If we can make a move for 4th overall with the Kings. I'd be down for it. Getting a two way capable player is essential. Dyson is my favorite at 8th.

I'm super excited for this offseason. I remember last year. I was super down and burnt out from all the drama with the organization. It's nice to just be optimistic and actually have discussions about roster construction.

What was Pelicans draft board again? It was Jabari as #1. And how did 4-8 go?

You gotta figure Trey and CJ take way more 3's for us this year and that helps. The two of them took 366 last year. Figure that will be closer to 800-900 next year. Zion sucking in the D helps. Ingram returns to closer to 40% than his 32.7% last year. Get rid of the 390 attempts that NAW and Temple took last year at 31%. Herb should continue to improve, etc.

Point is, we can bring back the same team and get to league average without adjusting anything. Could get into top third if Trey makes a step and BI just returns to normal. Graham either improves or he is out of the rotation, so his 34% on higher volume wont drag our percentage down. Celtics made 13.2 three's at 35.6%, good for 8th and 14th in the league, respectively. Pels could easily be that or better just with what I posted above

Yeah, I feel the same doubts in him as I felt when I fell in love with Haliburton and some just didnt like him at all. Haliburton also didnt 'pop' on these little highlight clips like others do. No high flying or fancy stuff. But those plays happen maybe once or twice a game, at most, in a game that has nearly 200 total possessions. What actually helps winning is IQ, versatility, defense, and playmaking. Dont matter how sexy it is.

All good, difference is what makes the world go round. But I am Team Daniels over here
    Ok, I watched video of Dyson's shooting drills from the combine. He definitely looks stronger than he did from the earlier video I watched of him. And his stroke looked pretty good. Add that to his combine best shuttle time, and I think I'm starting to come around on him. Hopefully his defense from the g league carries over. The length of a backcourt with him and Herb Jones would give other guards fits. (and maybe makeup for the lackluster defense our front court would provide.

The weird thing is even in these shooting drills he still looks kind of slow and deliberate to me. Maybe he's like Luka and just looks slower than he actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Eh, just doesn't pass the eye test for me. Slowish, frail, a little too deliberate. I think defensively, he's feasting on smaller guards without a lot of talent. I think there is a danger he gets overwhelmed in a much faster, stronger league. But admittedly I've just seen clips not complete game footage.
    Do his objective results in the combine make you think the eye test could be shaky? He literally had the fastest shuttle run time of all 50 or so combine participants, & very good times in the Sprint and Lane Agility.

I will add -- Did your "eye test" come from full games watched or highlight (and lowlight) compilations on YouTube?

Because guys like Daniels, Haliburton, etc will never be exciting in the latter but you cant help but fall in love with them if you watch the former

Why are Aussie prospects getting some biased treatment against them lately... Seems like casuals gots an anti-Aussie joke ever since Ben Simmons fiasco.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I've been going between either Daniels or Mathurin for my top choices. But, the more I think about it, the more I want Daniels. I really think he can be something special.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I've been going between either Daniels or Mathurin for my top choices. But, the more I think about it, the more I want Daniels. I really think he can be something special.
    Yea, he feels like one of the few top players in this draft who could realistically pop in the NBA and catapult this team to elite contention long-term. Does he keep rising beyond # 8 ?? Sure, that would drop another prospect down. But Daniels sure seems more exciting of a draft pick than Murray or Griffin. Would be wild if Griff-Langdon had to trade up to take Daniels to make sure to secure getting him. To # 4 / 5 / 6.

Why are Aussie prospects getting some biased treatment against them lately... Seems like casuals gots an anti-Aussie joke ever since Ben Simmons fiasco.
    People do it with all things - because people are simple.

A prospect from a certain college does poorly, and he next prospect from that college is labeled with that. If the G League guys would have busted last year, the guys who are G League prospects this year would have gotten that same label. Whenever something is complex (and trying to determine whether a 19 yr old will be great at something is very complex), basic people look for ways to make it much more simple in their mind. The last two Cal quarterbacks failed....so this Aaron Rodgers guy will be a bust. Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley didnt live up to the hype in the pros, so either will this Grant Hill kid.

Tale as old as time.

Imagine closing defensive line-ups of:

Dyson / Herb / Ingram / Murphy / Zion

Zion
    Murphy
    Ingram
    Herb
    Dyson

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea, he feels like one of the few top players in this draft who could realistically pop in the NBA and catapult this team to elite contention long-term. Does he keep rising beyond # 8 ?? Sure, that would drop another prospect down. But Daniels sure seems more exciting of a draft pick than Murray or Griffin. Would be wild if Griff-Langdon had to trade up to take Daniels to make sure to secure getting him. To # 4 / 5 / 6.
    Griff loves Murray. Top of his board "from a human perspective"

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Imagine closing defensive line-ups of: Dyson / Herb / Ingram / Murphy / Zion
    I have been.....for weeks. Glad to see others coming aboard. Welcome!!

Interesting detail. And we all know how highly Griff values "as a human being" levels in roster eval.
    With other prospects rising (Mathurin, Daniels, Dieng), Murray could be the one to fall out the top-7.

Murray seems like a more skilled Trey Murphy situation - late bloomer still growing into his body with elite skillet.

He's definitely a top player. I could just imagine the disappointment in the fan base having taken an "already 22! year old, potential already maxed out" prospect.

I have been.....for weeks. Glad to see others coming aboard. Welcome!!
    haha, right. Sochan your other defensive prodigy prospect would be fun, too. But Daniels' other skills and guard-versatility make him the better overall prospect.

Can someone tell Griff to stop using the word Human beings... It makes him sound like he's a lizard people.

Thread Information