Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: April 24th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Phoenix Suns - GAME 4 - 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Did CP3 hurt his hand???
    It seemed like it. I didn't see any official confirmation but the Suns team were looking at it on the bench a few times throughout the second half, he basically avoided dribbling with his dominant hand at all, and he spent most of the second half off ball whenever he was in. He was also flexing it constantly, as if trying out how it felt.

Might be nothing, but worth noting.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It seemed like it. I didn't see any official confirmation but the Suns team were looking at it on the bench a few times throughout the second half, he basically avoided dribbling with his dominant hand at all, and he spent most of the second half off ball whenever he was in. He was also flexing it constantly, as if trying out how it felt.

Might be nothing, but worth noting.
    Did you watch this game on LP? As I didn't see that at all. Just what I read/heard.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Did CP3 hurt his hand???
    Probably from flopping too much

Pelicans adjustments after Game 3 that ought to be retained for Game 5:
    1) More lineups with 2 bigs, more work for CP3, Ayton, McGee
    2) More full-court pressure and trapping, tired out CP3 along with the 2-days gap instead of 3.
    3) More drives to the basket, so more free throws for us. Less 3-point attempts.
    4) Jonas sprinting back on defense more often to make Ayton work harder. Let others offensive rebound.

Adjustments that remain available for Game 5:
    a) Mke CP3 guard somebody on more possessions instead of letting him play zone defense. Drive on him with Herb, Jaxson, or whoever he is supposedly guarding. More fouls, more tired CP3.
    b) A few minutes of early Alvarado, aggravate CP3 more. That's just fun!
    c) More swing-through action to force fouls on Crowder and CP3 when they reach. Stop avoiding contact outside the 3-point line.
    d) Make our free throws!!!
    Last edited by NOEngineer; 04-25-2022 at 05:36 AM. Reason: curse words

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    1) More lineups with 2 bigs, more work for CP3, Ayton, McGee
    2) More full-court pressure and trapping, tired out CP3 along with the 2-days gap instead of 3.
    3) More drives to the basket, so more free throws for us. Less 3-point attempts.
    4) Jonas sprinting back on defense more often to make Ayton work harder. Let others offensive rebound.

a) Mke CP3 guard somebody on more possessions instead of letting him play zone defense. Drive on him with Herb, Jaxson, or whoever he is supposedly guarding. More fouls, more tired CP3.
    c) More swing-through action to force fouls on Crowder and CP3 when they reach. Stop avoiding contact outside the 3-point line.
    I think I'd move d) up to a) on this list. Good list.

If we do somehow pull this series out, I almost want DAL to beat Utah, even though Luca is back. These late starts are killing me! Regardless of who would win the GSW/DEN series, they would probably get the late game.

Not sure if this is a sign of anything, but the Suns had a week of rest before Game 1, and two days of rest before Game 3. The won both games.
    They only had one day of rest before Game 2 and Game 4, and lost both. And both of those had no travel involved.
    Now, the rest of the way, they only have one day rest, AND they have to travel. Could be good for us.
    Last edited by RobertM320; 04-25-2022 at 08:04 AM.

I agree especially 'a'.

1. Pull everybody out of the paint five to eight times a game and post the man Paul is guarding (JAX/Herb/CJ) and dare him to stop the post up. He could never stand up; he's not stopping those three in a post up. Hell, I question if he could stop Jose'.

2. Also, run the PnR with BI and whoever he is guarding. I would love to see some jackhammer jams in Paul's face by BI or JAX (or in the paint pull-ups over him)

SIMPLY MAKE THAT SUCKER WORK!!!
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-25-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    If we do somehow pull this series out, I almost want DAL to beat Utah, even though Luca is back. These late starts are killing me! Regardless of who would win the GSW/DEN series, they would probably get the late game.

Not sure if this is a sign of anything, but the Suns had a week of rest before Game 1, and two days of rest before Game 3. The won both games.
    They only had one day of rest before Game 2 and Game 4, and lost both. And both of those had no travel involved.
    Now, the rest of the way, they only have one day rest, AND they have to travel. Could be good for us.
    That's a good point, expecially in regards to CP3. When he's had a lot of rest he's looked like he's in his prime. Only one day rest, not so much.

a) We're going to stick with our bread and butter especially in the 4th. The ball is mainly going through three guys hands: BI, CJ, and Jonas. And that's probably the way it should be.
    b) Maybe, but my feeling is that they want to blitz CP3 in the second half and wear him down. So they want to bring Jose in fresh and not in foul trouble. I'm ok with that strategy. Also the longer you do something the greater the opportunity for the opposing players to figure out how to counter it on the court. When you blitz them with something in the second half that they didn't see in the first half it gives you the element of surprise.
    c) The Pels have never really had players that have taken advantage of that rule. Maybe CJ. You would think with how handsy opponents are with BI that he might be able to get a few calls with the swing through, but I never really recalled him using it to his advantage.
    d) Obviously. We're definitely not going to get as many calls in Phoenix so we really have to take advantage of the ones we do get.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    One day our game day threads will be 47 pages long

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/fo...478275/page-47
    Yeah as soon as yall start caring about playoff games like you do draft picks

Not that happy with how Herb bowled over CP3. It was basically the same move as Jax did but with 0 consequences

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    The Suns are a dirty team that routinely flops and cries to the refs for phantom fouls while arguing actual fouls they commit. They routinely get phantom foul calls because of this. People have been ignoring that fact since they have CP3.
    As much as I like CP3, he clearly has taught the rest of the team to play that way. It is frustrating to watch the constant flopping and whining. Not sure if it shows up on TV, but the whining and complaining coming from Booker is sickening. He mouths off with our players on the court and runs to the refs to complain at EVERY timeout.

Over on Phoenix Reddit board, they are calling us the dirty team

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It was about time they FINALLY called an 8 second violation on CP3. He has had at least 12-15 in the 3 games that have not been called. That one was so obvious that they had to call it.
    you called for it and got it...good call lol..

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Not that happy with how Herb bowled over CP3. It was basically the same move as Jax did but with 0 consequences
    Which play are you talking about?

Basketball Guru
    the coaches and players need to adjust in game whenever cp3 is guarding jax in the paint and get the ball to him....one play jax had cp3 pinned down in the paint and was calling for the ball and no one got him the ball but CJ got the foul on that possession......we cant let cp3 rest on defense against mismatches...

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Which play are you talking about?
    https://old.reddit.com/r/suns/commen...ed_even_by_tv/

CP3 started it, but I think Herb shouldn't have clotheslined

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    the coaches and players need to adjust in game whenever cp3 is guarding jax in the paint and get the ball to him....one play jax had cp3 pinned down in the paint and was calling for the ball and no one got him the ball but CJ got the foul on that possession......we cant let cp3 rest on defense against mismatches...
    My sentiments entirely. Whether or not JAX can convert is not as important has making Paul work and expend energy rather than sitting in the corner guarding a non-factor.

That was not a clothesline by Herb, definitely a shove in the torso area not the neck. And CP3 shoved Herb first, but Herb did not get moved much as he is the bigger guy. Herb gave CP3 a similar shove and CP3 embellished it to draw the ref's attention. Fortunately, the ref saw the WHOLE sequence and didn't reward CP3 for the embellishment.

That's a clean shoulder bump. Paul fell down

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    That's a clean shoulder bump. Paul fell down
    Clothesline isn't the right term, but it was still egregious

I'm pretty sure if they started swinging, the ref was just going to sit back and enjoy the show, he wasn't calling anything.

He could have called the elbow Chris Paul hit Herb with and then the shoulder block. But he was just, nah, playoffs.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I would be embarrassed if I were a Suns fan. The only time that the Suns could even get even on the scoreboard was because of a bunch of flops by Crowder and Paul. They jump into you on shots, or throw their off arm into you while you are standing in a normal defensive position. And if you watch the replay on the screen where Crowder ran into Jonas...he was looking right at Jonas shoulder and slams his face into it on purpose. I mean, the acting is so bad, and the refs are officiating these fake reactions. It's not even basketball anymore with the Suns. They have given up trying to play with skill and now just cry that every play is a foul and they they deserve to win just because they are the 1 seed.

At any rate, my god I love watch Jose and Herb annoy CP. This is my favorite Pels team of all time. I can't beleive I'm saying that after this seasons start. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    thats why i love the strategy of having Jose full court press and harass CP3 while he is bringing the ball up the court. Its got to wear on him physically and it definitely got him frustrated mentally.
    Just as important is that if CP3 spends the time coming up the court focused on fending off Jose or Herb, he isn't able to focus on a quick pass. It's giving them a good 6 seconds less to run offense

Thread Information