Pelicans Report

Page 132 of 157 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 142 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    But why not just do all of this before plus wouldn't Temple get pissed didn't we sign him to an extension?
    You would still be signing him to his contract, just under the MLE rather than the trade. Means nothing to him.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    You would still be signing him to his contract, just under the MLE rather than the trade. Means nothing to him.
    Oh, gotcha.

I still dont understand why you guys wanna add players like Lauri and Buddy to take away 30 minutes from younger guys. Guarantee those people will change their tune after 2 or 3 Summer League games.

Keep the flexibility, keep opportunities open for young guys, and see what types of trades are available in December and January after knowing more about your young guys. Why bury them again?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I still dont understand why you guys wanna add players like Lauri and Buddy to take away 30 minutes from younger guys. Guarantee those people will change their tune after 2 or 3 Summer League games.

Keep the flexibility, keep opportunities open for young guys, and see what types of trades are available in December and January after knowing more about your young guys. Why bury them again?
    Yeah, I don't think we need both guys. One maybe but both is too much. I don't think having Lauri hurts Naw, Kira, Jaxson and Naji playing time. We may not see much of Trey, Herb and Didi tho. Again, Willie Green has great options and can get creative w/ match-ups. I honestly think he'll be better than SVG was w/ minutes and rotations.

Plus w/ this team it's good to have solid backups. Injury/health wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    That’s sexy talk right there.

I don't want Hield. If I'm ok with not re-signing Lonzo at 4/85, I don't see why I'd want Hield at 3/60. A bit better 3 point shooting, a bit worse defense. And I think he is who he is going to be at this point as well.

I don't care for Lauri either unless he's willing to take a Jason Smith type of role and a cheapish, short term deal. Unlikely he'd go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    Yeah, I don't think we need both guys. One maybe but both is too much. I don't think having Lauri hurts Naw, Kira, Jaxson and Naji playing time. We may not see much of Trey, Herb and Didi tho. Again, Willie Green has great options and can get creative w/ match-ups. I honestly think he'll be better than SVG was w/ minutes and rotations.

Plus w/ this team it's good to have solid backups. Injury/health wise.
    I dont want one. Go ahead and put one on the team and then allocate the 240 minutes and watch how many guys that we all should want to get playing time wont play.

The Franchise
    I would love to embrace the youth. Be apart of these potential big trades with Simmons or others and get some more young talent. It’s more about getting talent in case our big name guys want to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    I don't want Hield. If I'm ok with not re-signing Lonzo at 4/85, I don't see why I'd want Hield at 3/60. A bit better 3 point shooting, a bit worse defense. And I think he is who he is going to be at this point as well.
    Not to rag on you too much here but describing the difference between Hield and Lonzo as ''a bit better 3 point shooting, a bit worse defense'' is extremely funny.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's either overestimating Buddy's defense or overestimating Lonzo's shot. Perhaps both.

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    I dont want one. Go ahead and put one on the team and then allocate the 240 minutes and watch how many guys that we all should want to get playing time wont play.
    This was said before in regards to Markkanen......but when did 24 become old?
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    This was said before in regards to Markkanen......but when did 24 become old?
    When you haven't improved or changed your game in 4+ years. Old before your time. Decided to just skip the ''growing and expanding your game'' portion of life and just become 29 early.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He's either overestimating Buddy's defense or overestimating Lonzo's shot. Perhaps both.
    Definitely both, among other things.

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    When you haven't improved or changed your game in 4+ years. Old before your time. Decided to just skip the ''growing and expanding your game'' portion of life and just become 29 early.
    From reading some Bulls beat writers, the consensus from them seemed that he had a rough start two years ago due to injuries but then started to show signs of progression and growth the last half of that season. Last season was a regression but they said the relationship deteriorated pretty much when the season began.

All stuff we said before. Markkanen would be competing with Gabriel, Didi, Jones, and Naji for minutes. Now, I like some of these guys. I definitely wouldn't bet my pay check any of them will turn into a 6th to 8th rotational man on a contending team. I would even make the argument that Markkanen may have the best chance of being able to be that guy. With Buddy I get not wanting to take minutes away from NAW, Kira, and Graham....with Lauri I don't see the argument.

Brandon Ingram, as I recall, was pronounced DOA by you at age 22 as I recall. So I guess I see your point about Markkanen.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    From reading some Bulls beat writers, the consensus from them seemed that he had a rough start two years ago due to injuries but then started to show signs of progression and growth the last half of that season. Last season was a regression but they said the relationship deteriorated pretty much when the season began.

All stuff we said before. Markkanen would be competing with Gabriel, Didi, Jones, and Naji for minutes. Now, I like some of these guys. I definitely wouldn't bet my pay check any of them will turn into a 6th to 8th rotational man on a contending team. I would even make the argument that Markkanen may have the best chance of being able to be that guy. With Buddy I get not wanting to take minutes away from NAW, Kira, and Graham....with Lauri I don't see the argument.
    Your logic makes sense if you think that he's a better shot of living up to his talent than Gabriel, Didi, Jones, Naji, etc - I just personally don'y think that's likely. Someone like Naji, for example, who has already shown consistent improvement as well as a fundamental understanding of how to play the game with effort and high feel has a higher likelihood of turning out to be a productive and useful player than Markkanen does, who has not shown a fundamental understanding of how to play and who has notably poor feel.

Now, does that mean I think Naji is going to be a star? No, not at all, but when you're talking about your 7th or 8th man they need to be able to show that they can impact the game without needing the ball, needing to monopolise shots, or be having a hot night. Why? Cause your 8th man doesn't get 12 or 13 shots every single night. If they were good enough scorers to warrant that, they wouldn't be your 8th man. Lauri thus far has not shown this ability: if his shot is off, he's giving you absolutely nothing. At least with Naji I know if his shot is off he can defend or rebound or even pass at a reasonable level for a tertiary creator. And Naji is younger than Markkanen, so if we're going by who is on a better development arc, I know who I'm prioritising.

Secondly, how many minutes do you have to spare. Honestly, try it: you have 240 minutes in a game to spread out. You know Zion and Ingram should be getting around 33-35 minutes a night, so that's 70 gone. Now we want NAW to get 25 minutes a night, and Graham to get 27-30 minutes a night, and Kira to get his 15. Jonas is going to get his 25-30, Jax wants 15-20 as well. So we're up to what, 190 minutes gone. 50 minutes a game left. Say you want to give 15-20 to Murphy as well as a FRP from this year, okay, so 210.

You now have 30 minutes a night left to distribute between Jones, Naji, Didi, Sato, Temple, Hernangomez, and Lauri. Which guys are just not playing, for you? Some are easy choices, like Temple - we're not going to play him, fine. But are we really just going to decide that Naji, Sato, Didi, and Jones are all going to ride the pine every night when some of them play arguable positions of need and provide defense (the thing most people on the board believe we need most) just so we can find out if Finnish Kristaps can figure things out? Especially when he's older than most of them?

And I've just typed that out before realising that we may also have Hart back to try and provide minutes for.

So who's missing out?

And I've just typed that out before realising that we may also have Hart back to try and provide minutes for.

So who's missing out?
    I would also say NAW will get more than 25. I would bet he is 3rd on the team in minutes and closer to 30-32

I would also say NAW will get more than 25. I would bet he is 3rd on the team in minutes and closer to 30-32
    Could very easily happen, I was trying to be fairly conservative. Also not out of possibility that Zion and Ingram end up averaging more than 35 minutes a night - though, in fairness, not by much. But it's not unusual for an all-star to average 36, 37 minutes a night. Is anyone really going to be shocked if Ingram ends up averaging 36:30 a game?

If Markkanen comes in on a $12 million dollar or less a year deal for 3 to 4 years, he is worth it merely as a stretch 4. We have money and need depth. Markkanen should be an easily tradable player on a deal like that. We are not tanking and still don’t have a true 6th man at this point. Markkanen could be a Ryan Anderson 6th man clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    If Markkanen comes in on a $12 million dollar or less a year deal for 3 to 4 years, he is worth it merely as a stretch 4. We have money and need depth. Markkanen should be an easily tradable player on a deal like that. We are not tanking and still don’t have a true 6th man at this point. Markkanen could be a Ryan Anderson 6th man clone.
    Ryan don't compare to Lauri. Even if we try to be nice and compare post neck injury Ryan. They are just two different players from different eras.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    We don't need depth, is the thing. We easily have a ten man rotation which covers every ''position'' with at least two guys and arguably another few guys who can play/need time to develop on top of that.

Guards: NAW/Sato/Kira/Graham
    Wings: Didi/Murphy/Ingram/Hart/Naji/Jones
    Bigs: Jonas/Zion/Jax/Hernangomez

That's 14 names right there that you either can just pencil in for minutes, or that you could argue are in the same ''can they do it'' slot as Lauri. That's your roster.

You can easily say

PG: Graham/Kira
    SG: NAW/Murphy/Didi
    SF: Ingram/Hart/
    PF: Zion/Naji/Jones
    C: Jonas/Jax/Hernangomez

That's a full rotation including with developmental slots filled for guys like Didi and Jones to hoover up loose minutes at the end of games or in garbage time, or specific matchup guys like Hernangomez. Who gets kicked off for Lauri?

What the hell Naji doing there... What's we think Jones is doing off the bench? He's clearly versatile. So, I bite, but he's still a rookie. I hope he get treated better than NAW, Hayes, and Kira in their rookie years. I'm pretty hopeful with Murphy.

We don't need depth, is the thing. We easily have a ten man rotation which covers every ''position'' with at least two guys and arguably another few guys who can play/need time to develop on top of that.

Guards: NAW/Sato/Kira/Graham
    Wings: Didi/Murphy/Ingram/Hart/Naji/Jones
    Bigs: Jonas/Zion/Jax/Hernangomez

That's 14 names right there that you either can just pencil in for minutes, or that you could argue are in the same ''can they do it'' slot as Lauri. That's your roster.

You can easily say

PG: Graham/Kira
    SG: NAW/Murphy/Didi
    SF: Ingram/Hart/
    C: Jonas/Jax/Hernangomez

That's a full rotation including with developmental slots filled for guys like Didi and Jones to hoover up loose minutes at the end of games or in garbage time, or specific matchup guys like Hernangomez. Who gets kicked off for Lauri?
    You forgot Temple

Thread Information