Pelicans Report

Page 127 of 157 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 137 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    If that is all it takes, he will sign elsewhere easily. That is basically MLE.
    The market is dry. If we offer him a contact above the MLE there's a chance we get a bite. And if we don't get him its not a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    The market is dry. If we offer him a contact above the MLE there's a chance we get a bite. And if we don't get him its not a big deal
    Yeah, we would have to be above MLE. There is also still the S&T market.

Lowry signed an 3/85... I believe we offer 35 per year... Ouch that hurt.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Link to 35/yr?

Still apples to oranges; a team that went to the NBA finals 2 years ago with one of the best managed, best coached, best cultures in the sport vs. an absolute toddler team learning to walk that missed the playoffs twice in a row with a brand new coach.

Can't really take it personally with a vet like Lowry who needs to compete at the highest level of the game late in his career.

I thought it was speculated that we offered 3/$90

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I thought it was speculated that we offered 3/$90
    I also thought that, and that we had also offered CP3 3/$100
    Basketball.

Most reports had it at 3/90. There was unconfirmed speculation that we could go as high as 35/36 a year but that was based on cap rules not on inside sources from what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I also thought that, and that we had also offered CP3 3/$100
    Technically we got outbid by Pheonix. Nothing wrong with that... 4/120, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    Most reports had it at 3/90. There was unconfirmed speculation that we could go as high as 35/36 a year but that was based on cap rules not on inside sources from what I read.
    Okay, that''s not bad. I remember we could give him the maximum deal and I wasn't sure if Griff went that far...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I wouldn't say spoiled, but regardless of anything that happens, I believe the team will be fun to watch this year.
    Too panicky would be the correct term, but spoiled at not realizing the talent that the FO has done a great job of putting together from the draft and trades over the last 2 years. We have a rotation consisting of great to good players already on the roster who just needs more minutes and coaching. It would feel weird to not add another PG or bench scorer in FA, but I wouldn?t be disappointed either.

IMO, the huge upgrades over Adams at C and Bledsoe & Ball combined at PG offensively is underrated right now

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    Too panicky would be the correct term, but spoiled at not realizing the talent that the FO has done a great job of putting together from the draft and trades over the last 2 years. We have a rotation consisting of great to good players already on the roster who just needs more minutes and coaching. It would feel weird to not add another PG or bench scorer in FA, but I wouldn?t be disappointed either.

IMO, the huge upgrades over Adams at C and Bledsoe & Ball combined at PG offensively is underrated right now
    I'm with you on this.

How many games did we lose last year because Ball had one of his off shooting nights? There were a lot of them. He was consistently inconsistent. Its hard to win games when you never know what you are going to get from a guy on a nightly basis.

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    I've seen several times where a poster speculates something and then a few days later it gets reposted by someone else as "reports said" or "this happened". We have to be careful about that. I guess that's life in the doldrums, though.

So. Some interesting Markkanen nuggets both pro and con that I found: Pro, his non-shooting stats aren't as bad as has heen portrayed. Mostly the decline was on hussle and effort and the relationship between him and the team eroded early on. He played unmotivated all season and is motivated to move elsewhere. Con, he's looking for an opportunity to start somewhere. Now at some point, he may have to cave and go to a place where he won't be penciled in as a starter but I still think he tries to go somewhere where he can compete or there's an aging vet he can replace. Ingram and Zion suck up so many minutes and are so entrenched in their spots that I doubt he willingly comes here.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 08-06-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I've seen several times where a poster speculates something and then a few days later it gets reposted by someone else as "reports said" or "this happened". We have to be careful about that. I guess that's life in the doldrums, though.

So. Some interesting Markkanen nuggets both pro and con rhat I found: Pro, his non-shooting stats aren't as bad as has heen portrayed. Mostly it's all on hussle and effort snd the relationship between him and the team eroded early on. He played unmotivated all season and is motivated to move elsewhere. Con, he's looking for an opportunity to start somewhere. Now at some point, he may have to cave and go to a place where he won't be penciled in as a starter but I still think he tries to go somewhere where he can compete or there's an aging vet he can replace. Ingram and Zion suck up so many minutes and are so entrenched in their spots that I doubt he willingly comes here.
    Only way it works is if the Pels wanna play Ingram at the 2.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

One wonders if the front office is insulated from the talk about the Pelicans and the complete lack of appeal.

That’s all speculation anyway. We don’t know who they did and didn’t offer. The reported number differences between what Lowry got and what we were supposedly offering make it no surprise he chose Miami.

All of our moves have been financially responsible. Maybe we just aren’t willing to overpay to get ourselves into a potentially bad long-term contract.

id go something like:

1: Point Zion
    2: Graham
    3: Ingram
    4: Markkanen
    5: Valanciunas
    Last edited by Pels4Life; 08-06-2021 at 07:58 PM.

I think we’re dead set on starting NAW.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I think we’re dead set on starting NAW.
    It's gonna be weird guard line up because our bench gonna be dry. Honestly... I'm kind of worried of bench unit that's basically

Kira, Didi,Hart, Naji, Murphy, Hayes, and Willy....

Black Hole Sun Offense Bench

Honestly... I think we'll probably blow just as many games as we did last year and Ingram gonna get mad again because we have to stagger minutes to hide our bench. Zion + bench mob squad to start the 4th. It's honestly unacceptable with how many 2nd picks we sold with the shape of our bench and development core. Same problem as last year. We needed a Butler or Cooper in the 2nd round. Only Two developmental guys in Jones and Didi in just 3 years is sad and not how you build a bench.

Every team staggers their stars minutes. SVG just went to the extreme with it.

It's gonna be weird guard line up because our bench gonna be dry. Honestly... I'm kind of worried of bench unit that's basically

Kira, Didi,Hart, Naji, Murphy, Hayes, and Willy....

Black Hole Sun Offense Bench

Honestly... I think we'll probably blow just as many games as we did last year and Ingram gonna get mad again because we have to stagger minutes to hide our bench. Zion + bench mob squad to start the 4th. It's honestly unacceptable with how many 2nd picks we sold with the shape of our bench and development core. Same problem as last year. We needed a Butler or Cooper in the 2nd round. Only Two developmental guys in Jones and Didi in just 3 years is sad and not how you build a bench.
    How often do you play a bench lineup that is literally the entire bench lineup? Almost never.

The idea that we'll ever actually play a bench lineup of Kira/Didi/Naji/Murphy/Hayes is almost incomprehensible - at least, outside of total garbage time minutes.

Realistically, every lineup will contain at least one of NAW/Zion/Ingram, and most of the time it'll be two of them. As mentioned before, one of our best lineups all of last year was just Zion + Bench, cause it annihilated other bench units.

If Ingram's getting mad because of staggered minutes then he'll be mad on any team because basically all of them do it. Very few teams ever trot out full-bench lineups in real live ball play.

Yeah, isn't that why ita nice to have 2 stars? You can basically have at least one on the court nearly the entire game. They start and then play together at the end of the half and end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    id go something like:

1: Point Zion
    2: Graham
    3: Ingram
    4: Markkanen
    5: Valanciunas
    That defense couldn't cover a stationary wall in paint

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    How often do you play a bench lineup that is literally the entire bench lineup? Almost never.

The idea that we'll ever actually play a bench lineup of Kira/Didi/Naji/Murphy/Hayes is almost incomprehensible - at least, outside of total garbage time minutes.

Realistically, every lineup will contain at least one of NAW/Zion/Ingram, and most of the time it'll be two of them. As mentioned before, one of our best lineups all of last year was just Zion + Bench, cause it annihilated other bench units.

If Ingram's getting mad because of staggered minutes then he'll be mad on any team because basically all of them do it. Very few teams ever trot out full-bench lineups in real live ball play.
    Who says anything about playing them all at once?

Thread Information