Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: February 3rd - New Orleans Pelicans vs Phoenix Suns - 7-12

I wanted JAX in Erie from Day One learning the game. In my mind '19-'20 was a big 'nothing-burger' for JAX.

Now in fairness, I've seen signs of improvement this year but he's got a long way to go to be NBA-ready. His athleticism may be Big League, but his IQ is barely CYO ready.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Can they keep both Jax and Hernangomez?

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    Can they keep both Jax and Hernangomez?
    Well sure, you can, but if you're serious about giving all the backup 5 minutes to Hernangomez then you either need to send Jax to the G League or move him. He is not going to grow, or help the team, sat there as the 12th man on the bench.

And sending your 8th overall pick to the G League in the 3rd year of his rookie deal is a sign you should probably just move him anyway. So if you don't think Jax is going to be worth playing over Hernangomez within this calendar year, you're pretty much committing to trade him. Which is fine, if that's what you want to do, but you have to be honest about it.
    Basketball.

The one thing that JAX gives the team that H'Gomez doesn't?

That goofy 'deer in the headlights' expression when things don't go his way.

Who is doing what for the Pelicans?

Just a brief overview on who is leading the Pelicans in various categories at this stage, 20 games into the year. Minimum of 350 minutes played for all categories.

PPG: Zion, with 23.7
    Points per 100: Zion, with 35.1
    RPG: Adams, with 9.9
    Rbds per 100: Adams, with 15.9
    APG: Ingram, with 4.7
    Asts per 100: Lonzo, with 7.3
    Box Creation: Ingram, with +6.8
    ScoreVal: Zion, with +1.3
    BPM: I'll list both guys: Ingram at +3.3, Zion at +3.1. Both get listed cause they're the only two players on the team with a positive BPM.
    TS% Zion, with 62.9%
    VORP: Ingram at 0.9, Zion close behind at 0.8
    WS/48 Zion, at 0.178
    Total WS: Zion, with +2.3
    PER: Zion, at 24.5

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    not tonight...team will rise up and win just like we did against the bucks....the national tv jinx is over....
    some of yall have to get on board with the new pelicans...svg is getting the rotations right and the players are getting their mind right......the fun is about to start..i hope lol...

the team won a national tv game last night and some of yall are crying that jax didnt get any playing time last night smh...the team had good offensive flow majority of the night,,, spacing was good majority of the night,,,bigs played well and yall in here crying over jax.....jax...

the funny part is that you jax stans have the nerve to come down hard on the lonzo stans when lonzo is contributing to the team lol.....yall jax stans make the game day thread depressing up in here in yall feelings that he didnt play........i mean yall in here, in ya feelings over jax not playing instead of enjoying the team win on national tv....

jax number one stan you can flame away,,i deserve it lol....

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Van Gundy in post game presser...."Zion shoots only half of the free throws he's entitled to, if that..." anyone who watches knows he is is absolutely right, but does the league give him the freedom to express that? Lord knows I hope so!
    I’m glad he said it, because it needs to be said. The refs are quick to call a foul if someone gets within inches of a player on the perimeter, but don’t call multiple grabs and shoves on interior players. Now I think they are consistently swallowing their whistles for interior fouls on both teams, but the problem is this selective blind spot specifically hurts how our team is assembled.

Now you could probably blame our FO for assembling a team that is ill suited to play in how today’s NBA is officiated. But at some point it needs to be pointed out to the NBA that they are really **************izing the game.

The worst example I saw was when we played Houston and they were able to get away with basically playing four guards at a time because the refs allowed them to grab and shove Adams and Zion throughout the game. I think Zion got to the line a paltry four times that game if memory serves. A lot of our turnovers occurred because the Rockets were allowed to mug our interior players making them cough up the ball. In the meantime if you got within the landing space of a perimeter shooter you got called with a foul even if you didn’t freakin make any contact.

The other thing that has really pissed me off is the illegal defense calls, or lack thereof. The only team that’s been called with illegal defense lately in our games is our team. Utah freakin set up camp inside the lane in the two games we played them without any calls. And they haven’t been the only one.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 02-04-2021 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Utah freakin set up camp inside the lane in the two games we played them without any calls. And they haven’t been the only one.
    There is a reason that Gobert is always in the running for DPOY and this is it. The next time he comes out of the paint defensively will be the first time he comes out of the paint defensively.

When Lonzo is being aggressive offensively, hitting open shots and doing his disruptive thing defensively, he's a pretty good player
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-04-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Who’da thunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Who’da thunk.
    Wouldn't it be something if he got a max deal from the Pelicans and all of us had to eat crow?

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Wouldn't it be something if he got a max deal from the Pelicans and all of us had to eat crow?
    He has stepped into the Jrue role pretty easily. Inconsistent scorer with smothering defense.

No one's saying he should get a max. Under 15 is looking less and less likely now.

It's so much easier to like Zo when he's being aggressive in the half court.

But you have to project a player out into where you project the team to be

Being aggressive in some random regular season game is one thing, doing it in the pressure of the playoffs is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    He has stepped into the Jrue role pretty easily. Inconsistent scorer with smothering defense.
    I feel like Jrue is the more consistent on ball defender, whereas Lonzo is really disruptive in the passing lanes etc

Zo got destroyed by Fox, no way does that happen if Jrue is guarding him

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Guarantee it.
    Obviously you cannot guarantee that. No one is giving up as high as a late lottery for Hayes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Absolutely wish he was the scorer Jrue was

Jrue's career average TS% is higher than Lonzo's career high (54% vs 51%) and Jrue did it on much higher volume for most of his career.

Jrue shot about 30% of his FGAs within 3 feet of the rim for the last several years of his time with the Pelicans. Lonzo is taking 15.5% of his shots at the rim this year.

No one's saying he should get a max. Under 15 is looking less and less likely now.

It's so much easier to like Zo when he's being aggressive in the half court.

But you have to project a player out into where you project the team to be

Being aggressive in some random regular season game is one thing, doing it in the pressure of the playoffs is another.
    I don't even care about playoff games right now. Obviously that's the goal but my critique of Lonzo is not that I don't think he can do X in a playoff game.

It's that I have no idea if he's going to do X next game, or the game after. He's had games this year where he drives a reasonable amount, a few of them, and games this year where he's driven less than Kira has done in a third of the minutes. It's just not acceptable for someone who wants to be getting paid big money.

And while you're saying that no-one is saying he should get a max, you best believe his agent is saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't even care about playoff games right now. Obviously that's the goal but my critique of Lonzo is not that I don't think he can do X in a playoff game.

It's that I have no idea if he's going to do X next game, or the game after. He's had games this year where he drives a reasonable amount, a few of them, and games this year where he's driven less than Kira has done in a third of the minutes. It's just not acceptable for someone who wants to be getting paid big money.

And while you're saying that no-one is saying he should get a max, you best believe his agent is saying that.
    Agree about the consistency thing which has always plagued him. If he was consistent at the things he does well, then you could start to project out to things like the playoffs. A chicken and the egg scenario of sorts.

Yeah I know his agent is chasing a big deal, 20 mil plus. And Griff has offered him somewhere between 15-20mil already if you read between the lines, at which his agent has obviously turned around and said

Last edited by AusPel; 02-04-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Well sure, you can, but if you're serious about giving all the backup 5 minutes to Hernangomez then you either need to send Jax to the G League or move him. He is not going to grow, or help the team, sat there as the 12th man on the bench.

And sending your 8th overall pick to the G League in the 3rd year of his rookie deal is a sign you should probably just move him anyway. So if you don't think Jax is going to be worth playing over Hernangomez within this calendar year, you're pretty much committing to trade him. Which is fine, if that's what you want to do, but you have to be honest about it.
    Third year?

Guarantee it.
    I would like to take your guarantee and bet my whole estate against it

What agency do you want to go through

I would like to take your guarantee and bet my whole estate against it

What agency do you want to go through
    That if he is traded and it was for a pick the pick would be in the first round? If he’s traded for a player or not traded at all the bet is void? Lol you pick the agency.

That if he is traded and it was for a pick the pick would be in the first round? If he’s traded for a player or not traded at all the bet is void? Lol you pick the agency.
    No trade = no bet

Hell no on Lonzo. He is just about the wishy washiest player we have on the roster right now and he plays a massive part in our late game struggles as does Bledsoe. Tired of these players that can’t be arsed unless trade talk pops up or they have some incentive to play well. He would have to actually put together a consistent resume from here on and I’m positive he won’t. I’ve backed him but it’s time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Third year?
    ''if you don't think he is going to be worth playing over Hernangomez within this calendar year''. This calendar year includes the start of next year, which is his third.

Basically if you don't even think he'll be ready for developmental minutes until year 4, then you should want to move him.

If you think he will be worth developmental minutes next year, then it's more tenable to keep him but if you think that's not going to be the case until the very end of his third year, then you should want to move him.

No use keeping a player until their rookie deal is *over*, or you've missed the chance to extend in that 3rd year offseason, on the hopes that they'll be eventually ready to start getting ready.

Agree about the consistency thing which has always plagued him. If he was consistent at the things he does well, then you could start to project out to things like the playoffs. A chicken and the egg scenario of sorts.

Yeah I know his agent is chasing a big deal, 20 mil plus. And Griff has offered him somewhere between 15-20mil already if you read between the lines, at which his agent has obviously turned around and said

Yeah, so it's a trade.

And frankly he still hasn't done anything to warrant $15m. You name a player who has gotten the kind of minutes and opportunities Lonzo has gotten and I can find a handful of decent-to-good games from them. Doesn't matter whether they ended up being out of the league the next season or not. We had periods of time where we were getting solid bench production out of Jordan Crawford and Terrence Jones.

It needs to be consistent. So unless Lonzo can put together 40 games of this, he's not worth $15m.

And we don't have that long before the trade deadline. He was on the clock the moment this season started, and it's not good enough to try and cram for this exam: time's nearly up and he hasn't proven he can do it on any sort of consistent basis. He spent the majority of this season so far shooting under 30% from 3, it's not good enough to have a handful of hot games just before the deadline. Get him out of here.

Thread Information