Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting Tatum

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Yeah, been done before. Remember? Certainly NOT a reason to hold that pick. IMHO ! If I can flip it & get another pick this year or Next year, then I'm good. Holding that pick to grab a 17-18 yr old is more than likely another 2-4 yrs before HIS potential makes any difference.
    It's not just that HS players are eligible, it's that you'll essentially have two years' worth of top talent in one draft (since the previous year's HS seniors would have to play a year in college). Like if this upcoming draft had Zion, Barrett, Morant, Ayton, JJJ, Bagley, etc.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    It's not just that HS players are eligible, it's that you'll essentially have two years' worth of top talent in one draft (since the previous year's HS seniors would have to play a year in college). Like if this upcoming draft had Zion, Barrett, Morant, Ayton, JJJ, Bagley, etc.
    Which means that we can get Better Immediately & make the playoffs & still get a worthwhile pick, because it will be so deep, right? No. 1 pick probably won't be all that important because of the amount of talent.
    It's not like we won't still have our pick!
    If we can get a targeted player this year by using that pick, welp!
    Last edited by Tinman; 01-30-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Which means that we can get Better Immediately & make the playoffs & still get a worthwhile pick, because it will be so deep, right? No. 1 pick probably won't be all that important because of the amount of talent.
    I think it's extremely short sighted to feel we *must* do anything with the pick if we get it. There are good scenarios both if we use it to trade and get better or if we hold onto it and it doesn't convey until 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think it's extremely short sighted to feel we *must* do anything with the pick if we get it. There are good scenarios both if we use it to trade and get better or if we hold onto it and it doesn't convey until 2021.
    You ". ". Must . I'm not sure I said must. I said "I" would not be excited if we held it that long. I also said to use it "IF" there a Targeted player that we can get. I don't recall saying "must"! If I did, I misspoke.

You ". ". Must . I'm not sure I said must. I said "I" would not be excited if we held it that long. I also said to use it "IF" there a Targeted player that we can get. I don't recall saying "must"! If I did, I misspoke.
    I think it's more your strong defense of moving the pick instead of keeping it that implies the must. My use of the word was more for emphasis anyway and not meant as an exact representation of what you said verbatim.

It's also hard for me to passionately care either way in a hypothetical of a hypothetical of a hypothetical situation like we are discussing. We've reached some Inception level hypothetical discussions here. I'm far more in the camp of, let's wait and see what happens first before we start digging in on the best way to move forward. 6 months will change a lot. Then another 24 months from now things will be even more completely different. I don't like to plan that far out in the NBA.

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    You really should be fluid and do whichever of those philosophies presents itself as a better risk. Both have pros and cons.

Knicks get a top pick and over The Unicorn and it, you take it and do both. The Unicorn states he wants out. Trade him and begin the rebuild.

Knicks don't offer or get a top 3 pick, go with Boston and try to build that team now.

Don't pigeonhole yourself into one philosophy. Try walking the line for both until a move too irresistible to miss forces you to go into one.

I am well aware of this. We have an arena contract that expires in 2022. Do you really think waiting until Jrue is gone & every other asset we pick-up this year is in flux? Now, if we take the pick & Flip it, then I'm good. I'm not good with waiting 3 yrs.
    I guess the expectation is that there are other young talent and picks that you are getting now and maybe next season that fill in between now and then. It certainly is a risk as Memphis could improve enough to make it not quite as valuable. However, it is seen as a pretty valuable asset.

I think it's more your strong defense of moving the pick instead of keeping it that implies the must. My use of the word was more for emphasis anyway and not meant as an exact representation of what you said verbatim.

It's also hard for me to passionately care either way in a hypothetical of a hypothetical of a hypothetical situation like we are discussing. We've reached some Inception level hypothetical discussions here. I'm far more in the camp of, let's wait and see what happens first before we start digging in on the best way to move forward. 6 months will change a lot. Then another 24 months from now things will be even more completely different. I don't like to plan that far out in the NBA.
    Tatum-Brown & (the picks from Boston) can buy us a Top 3 possibly, while keeping our pick.
    Sure, everything is hypothetical, but speculation is the fun.

Tatum-Brown & (the picks from Boston) can buy us a Top 3 possibly, while keeping our pick.
    Sure, everything is hypothetical, but speculation is the fun.
    In almost any scenario where Tatum and Brown are on the team I am strongly against trading one or both of them to move up in this draft.

In almost any scenario where Tatum and Brown are on the team I am strongly against trading one or both of them to move up in this draft.
    No, not trade Tatum or Brown. Trade the Memphis pick & the Sacto pick to move up. Rebuilding team will still get a mid 1st & the Memphis pick.

No, not trade Tatum or Brown. Trade the Memphis pick & the Sacto pick to move up. Rebuilding team will still get a mid 1st & the Memphis pick.
    Oh I see. Along with keeping our own pick? Yeah if probably be cool with that then. You're looking at Tatum, Brown, Jrue, plus two top 10 and maybe even top 6 picks. That's a really solid core.

I would assume having to move up would cost us out pick though and Memphis. Especially trying to crack the top 3.

Oh I see. Along with keeping our own pick? Yeah if probably be cool with that then. You're looking at Tatum, Brown, Jrue, plus two top 10 and maybe even top 6 picks. That's a really solid core.

I would assume having to move up would cost us out pick though and Memphis. Especially trying to crack the top 3.
    You know, all of this sounds great, but as I said in a post the other day- Its like swinging at a Piñata at a kids birthday party until we know who is steering the ship.
    You pick players, according to style of play etc.
    So, are we assuming that Dempstry stays in place?

You know, all of this sounds great, but as I said in a post the other day- Its like swinging at a Piñata at a kids birthday party until we know who is steering the ship.
    You pick players, according to style of play etc.
    So, are we assuming that Dempstry stays in place?
    I'm not sold on him staying. They could be keeping him in place until summer since they have no intention of trading AD right now.

Especially if they want to move other players. It's probably too close to the deadline to fire and get someone else in to move our smaller assets.

I'm not sold on him staying. They could be keeping him in place until summer since they have no intention of trading AD right now.

Especially if they want to move other players. It's probably too close to the deadline to fire and get someone else in to move our smaller assets.
    Thoughts: Jason KiDD-HC. David Griffin/GM

Thoughts: Jason KiDD-HC. David Griffin/GM
    Burn everything to the ground.

What the MEM pick gives you is the ability to take a swing and trade a player + 1st and still have another first in either 2020 or 2021. Imagine if we could trade a player like Niko and a first this year and still have a pick. We could have gotten a very nice haul for that. Also, I don't see the point in arguing over exact players that aren't core pieces. I think it is Tatum+1 of Horford/Hayward/Smart+MEM pick+1 more pick (2 if you take Hayward).
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    What the MEM pick gives you is the ability to take a swing and trade a player + 1st and still have another first in either 2020 or 2021. Imagine if we could trade a player like Niko and a first this year and still have a pick. We could have gotten a very nice haul for that. Also, I don't see the point in arguing over exact players that aren't core pieces. I think it is Tatum+1 of Horford/Hayward/Smart+MEM pick+1 more pick (2 if you take Hayward).
    Something like that is probably realistic or not too far off. New Orleans isn't getting Boston's whole roster, but they'll get a lot.

A core of Rozier, Holiday, Brown, Tatum, Niko, Okafor, Payton and Jackson plus (potentially 2) mid/early first rounders might not be a terrible starting point... Not saying we get that much from Boston. But that sure's up our PG and SF stocks.

Those 2 picks could be packaged to move up the draft potentially as well?

All those players (except maybe Jahlil) certainly play well in an uptempo system and if our brass is dumb enough not to fire Gentry it may almost suit him- 3 guys on the court at all times that can get their own shot and look to get others involved.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Boston has its own current issue to deal with. If Kyrie doesn’t give some sort of promise that he’s re-upping with them, they have to trade him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Boston has its own current issue to deal with. If Kyrie doesn’t give some sort of promise that he’s re-upping with them, they have to trade him now.
    He already did.

...we get to go McDonalds
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by Gant- View Post
    He already did.
    https://www.si.com/nba/2019/01/28/ky...-anthony-davis

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    There's a lot of rumors out there now, several that directly contradict each other. Don't buy it. There's ZERO good reason to trade him now. Be patient.

Oh yeah, like everybody I heard about that, but don't believe it. These rumors seem like typical trade season misdirection. But the real reason to not believe this is Hall of Fame writer Jackie MacMullan is rejecting it. There's no one better connected and more accurate around the Celtics than her.

"Jackie MacMullan was on ESPN’s “Around the Horn” on Tuesday and she shot these reports down when asked if she heard similar things saying “I will say this, there is some frustration from Kyrie Irving. Of course there is, because this team is not performing the way he had hoped and he is carrying a huge load, and he doesn’t want to be the James Harden of New England, OK. But, it’s January. He hasn’t made any kind of seismic decision like that. And let’s say even if he is a little unhappy and a little unsure, don’t you think bringing Anthony Davis aboard may quell all of those fears or concerns for Kyrie Irving? So, I don’t put any stock in it. Sorry.”

She begins the segment clearly suggesting that Davis' agent, Rich Paul of Klutch Sports, is behind this."

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/201...ock-in-it.html
    Last edited by Gant-; 01-30-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Always remember that the media will say things to get the most clicks. The most clicks would be LA and NY. You can throw in the Celtics as a storied franchise. There will be A LOT of stuff posted in the next half year to get clicks from those markets.

Hello everyone. First of all: I'm a Celtics fan. I have been following this forum regularly, just because I'm generally interested in NBA discussions and the opinions of other fans.
    May I make a trade proposal for the upcoming summer?

To New Orleans: Jayson Tatum, Terry Rozier (sign-and-trade), Robert Williams, Gordon Hayward (maybe include 3rd team?), '19 Kings pick, '19 Clippers pick (conveying right now), '20 Celtics pick and '20/21 Grizzlies pick.

To Boston: Anthony Davis and Jrue Holiday

Thread Information