Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How about Melo?

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Now here's someone we should look into getting (pretty much will ensure Boogie comes back)

Bledsoe is rumored to be on the trade block again

https://ble.ac/2K6qZKm
    Idk he didn't look great last year idk if something was up or what.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Now here's someone we should look into getting (pretty much will ensure Boogie comes back)

Bledsoe is rumored to be on the trade block again

https://ble.ac/2K6qZKm
    Nothing I wanna get rid of to sign a 15,000,000 1 yr rental. Because after this year, I certainly wouldn't pay him 15,000,000. I'll take Rondo on a 2yr deal for 1/2 the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Nothing I wanna get rid of to sign a 15,000,000 1 yr rental. Because after this year, I certainly wouldn't pay him 15,000,000. I'll take Rondo on a 2yr deal for 1/2 the price.
    Hill and Ajinca for Bledsoe?

Still re-sign Rondo, and our guards could be Rondo,Jrue, Bledsoe

Flip Moore and 1st rounder for a SF

I thought the same as you but only after I see what we have in Frank and Tony and others. Best to maintain the status quo for now.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

Why on earth would Milwaukee do that deal? Only Ajinca comes off the books after this year. Getting Solo for 2 yrs @12 + mill is worse than having Bledsoe for 1yr. Id just as soon stretch Bledsoe if they are going to do that. As far as Moore & a #1. Who is out there worth giving that up? Moore is certainly worth 8 mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    I thought the same as you but only after I see what we have in Frank and Tony and others. Best to maintain the status quo for now.
    Speaking of Frank, ya boy is ready. I saw him at church a few weeks ago, no boot, not crutches, just a dude. Funny enough he goes to the same chapel as Taysom Hill. Them Mormon boys be getting it.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Speaking of Frank, ya boy is ready. I saw him at church a few weeks ago, no boot, not crutches, just a dude. Funny enough he goes to the same chapel as Taysom Hill. Them Mormon boys be getting it.
    I'm real anxious to see all the summer league guys but mostly Frank, Tony and Shavon

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    I'm real anxious to see all the summer league guys but mostly Frank, Tony and Shavon
    Sounds like the names of the singers in an early 90s hip hop group.

Let's re discuss this with Randle and Payton on the team now. I think it's a great fit. We can put four defenders around him, and it's not like Melo is terrible at defense. For the minimum, its definitely worth a shot.

He's going to Houston anyway
    Last edited by AusPel; 08-01-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Pass.
    This.

No...Don't want melo...

Melo would be a great fit for a lot of teams IF he was willing to come off the bench. Give Melo free reigns with the 2nd unit. Let him play his ball stopping game and score 20+ off the bench.

Problem is Melo doesn’t want to come off the bench and would feel insulted.

Lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I've had the same attitude about Melo for about 3-4 years now.

He is a stubborn, detrimentally prideful player on the back end of his career who is going to be a hindrance on most teams.

The best chance for turning him into a positive player during the back end of his career would be Melo going to one of two teams: Wherever Chris Paul is, or wherever Lebron James is.

Melo's key to late career success would be reducing the amount of ISO ball he plays and embracing the sharpshooter mantra he had for the Olympics. The ONLY two players that I think have the capacity to POSSIBLY get him to embrace that, are the two players he has shown a deep personal respect for on and off the court.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-31-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Melo could be really really good if his ego and IQ swapped sizes.
    Basketball.

The narrative on Melo is kind of unfair. Guy is a 10 year allstar, one year removed from his last allstar appearance, and just averaged 16.5ppg and 5.8rpg in his worse season in an uncomfortable situation. Why would he consider himself a bench player?
    Melo's reason for playing bad seems to have some truth to it, it was last minute and the Billy Donovan seemed to never had developed a plan to incorporate him. Melo was the only one who was asked to sacrifice his game, moving from SF(a position he has played for 14 years) to PF, from a number 1 option to a spot up shooter. And OKC's offense has always sucked, not much player/ball movement and just waiting for Russ to pass him the ball for his assist numbers.

Melo isn't a ball stopper, he has always shown on Team USA what kind of player he can be in a ball/player movement system with other great players. Of course that's different in the NBA where he has been on the Knicks the last few years, who has failed to put talent around him. So much that at a point a D league guy, Jeremy Lin, came on the team mid season and was the 2nd best player. And then playing with a guy like Russ that pounds the ball, of course when he finally gets the ball he would be less likely to move it.

In Gentry system we could get Olympic Melo, it's a player/ball movement system and at the pace we'll be playing at he will be able to get a lot of good shots. And he has to be motivated to prove doubters wrong. I think he could average 16-18ppg in a role he would be comfortable in.

In any case, he's 5x better than anyone we have at SF

Team USA is the only place he hasn’t proven to be a ball stopper though. For years the pundits have been asking can NBA Melo become Olympic Melo, and the answer has been resoundingly “no.”

And like you said, OKC asked him to basically be Olympic Melo - play off the ball, embrace the 4, be a spot up shooter, play good team D when needed - and he refused. There is no reason for me to believe that he is going to come to a place like New Orleans and not think he has the right to be iso high usage Melo that takes plays off and refuses to bend to the needs of the team.

I’m actually not even sure CP3 has it in him to get him. They are a team that really doesn’t need another iso player with Harden and CP3. What they need is a Melo that at least puts effort in defensively, plays the 4 and 3, and trades most of his iso attempts for driving to the rim or catch and shooting threes. Where he still has the capacity at 34 to be an efficient, useful player on a contender.

Melo is old and not good anymore. Just look at his numbers. They've been on the decline for years. This last year was his worst year ever in the NBA. The Olympics he was so good at was 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    The narrative on Melo is kind of unfair. Guy is a 10 year allstar, one year removed from his last allstar appearance, and just averaged 16.5ppg and 5.8rpg in his worse season in an uncomfortable situation. Why would he consider himself a bench player?
    Melo's reason for playing bad seems to have some truth to it, it was last minute and the Billy Donovan seemed to never had developed a plan to incorporate him. Melo was the only one who was asked to sacrifice his game, moving from SF(a position he has played for 14 years) to PF, from a number 1 option to a spot up shooter. And OKC's offense has always sucked, not much player/ball movement and just waiting for Russ to pass him the ball for his assist numbers.

Melo isn't a ball stopper, he has always shown on Team USA what kind of player he can be in a ball/player movement system with other great players. Of course that's different in the NBA where he has been on the Knicks the last few years, who has failed to put talent around him. So much that at a point a D league guy, Jeremy Lin, came on the team mid season and was the 2nd best player. And then playing with a guy like Russ that pounds the ball, of course when he finally gets the ball he would be less likely to move it.

In Gentry system we could get Olympic Melo, it's a player/ball movement system and at the pace we'll be playing at he will be able to get a lot of good shots. And he has to be motivated to prove doubters wrong. I think he could average 16-18ppg in a role he would be comfortable in.

In any case, he's 5x better than anyone we have at SF
    I disagree that the narrative has been unfair on Melo. If anything, it's been overly generous. There's always been, no matter how bad his play has become, apologists for him and his style of play, both online and on television with people like Stephen A ''The Brother Can Play'' Smith acting like this is 2006. Melo is not good anymore. And he hasn't been for some years.

You said that he's just one year removed from his last all-star appearance. This is true. Did he deserve to be on that all-star team is a different question. Let's take a look.

Melo in 2016-17: 22/5.9/2.9 on 43% from the field and 35% from 3. He took 19 shots per game. His offensive rating was 108 and his defensive rating was 113: his net rating as a result was -5. He was a -0.7 BPM, and a 0.8 VORP. That's barely replacement level. He was 0.089 win shares per 48. 53% true shooting. 17.9 PER. Realistically, is that deserving of an all-star spot, or was Melo just another one of those old vets who rides the coat-tails of his past to get all-star votes at the end of his career?

This isn't great. This isn't perennial all-star. He made the all-star team because he was in the East. If he was in the west, competing for that spot with AD, Kawhi, Aldridge, Durant, Hayward, and Griffin as other ''forwards'' by all-star game rankings, he wouldn't have made it.

Melo sucks. Has done for years. Big empty numbers when allowed to chuck 20 shots per game on a trash team nobody expects to win anything. No defense, poor passing, no team game, low IQ, lazy. We don't have the time to try and be the NBA's next big emotional come-back story, if one is even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Team USA is the only place he hasn’t proven to be a ball stopper though. For years the pundits have been asking can NBA Melo become Olympic Melo, and the answer has been resoundingly “no.”

And like you said, OKC asked him to basically be Olympic Melo - play off the ball, embrace the 4, be a spot up shooter, play good team D when needed - and he refused. There is no reason for me to believe that he is going to come to a place like New Orleans and not think he has the right to be iso high usage Melo that takes plays off and refuses to bend to the needs of the team.

I’m actually not even sure CP3 has it in him to get him. They are a team that really doesn’t need another iso player with Harden and CP3. What they need is a Melo that at least puts effort in defensively, plays the 4 and 3, and trades most of his iso attempts for driving to the rim or catch and shooting threes. Where he still has the capacity at 34 to be an efficient, useful player on a contender.
    I feel OKC was a challenge to play with Russ because of the brand of basketball he's allowed to play. Players stand around while he have the ball. Its different being asked to play off ball, and the ball is moving around. Than playing off ball and having to stand around until 5 seconds is left on the shot clock and then get the ball.

It would be different with us because our players get their shots in the flow of the offense, our style is very similar to the style of team USA. Joining an unselfish group like ours would be great for Melo.

I agree Rockets would be the same situation as Thunder, not a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Melo is old and not good anymore. Just look at his numbers. They've been on the decline for years. This last year was his worst year ever in the NBA. The Olympics he was so good at was 6 years ago.
    It was actually just 2 years ago in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I disagree that the narrative has been unfair on Melo. If anything, it's been overly generous. There's always been, no matter how bad his play has become, apologists for him and his style of play, both online and on television with people like Stephen A ''The Brother Can Play'' Smith acting like this is 2006. Melo is not good anymore. And he hasn't been for some years.

You said that he's just one year removed from his last all-star appearance. This is true. Did he deserve to be on that all-star team is a different question. Let's take a look.

Melo in 2016-17: 22/5.9/2.9 on 43% from the field and 35% from 3. He took 19 shots per game. His offensive rating was 108 and his defensive rating was 113: his net rating as a result was -5. He was a -0.7 BPM, and a 0.8 VORP. That's barely replacement level. He was 0.089 win shares per 48. 53% true shooting. 17.9 PER. Realistically, is that deserving of an all-star spot, or was Melo just another one of those old vets who rides the coat-tails of his past to get all-star votes at the end of his career?

This isn't great. This isn't perennial all-star. He made the all-star team because he was in the East. If he was in the west, competing for that spot with AD, Kawhi, Aldridge, Durant, Hayward, and Griffin as other ''forwards'' by all-star game rankings, he wouldn't have made it.

Melo sucks. Has done for years. Big empty numbers when allowed to chuck 20 shots per game on a trash team nobody expects to win anything. No defense, poor passing, no team game, low IQ, lazy. We don't have the time to try and be the NBA's next big emotional come-back story, if one is even possible.
    Melo is a proven winner. NCAA championship as a freshman. He came to the NBA and promised the Nuggets a playoff berth his rookie season and delivered. In fact he took them to the playoffs 7 straight seasons. 3 time gold medalist. One of the most clutch performers of all time.

The Knicks were just a bad situation. First they gave up way too much to get him, then Amare falls completely off the map, and it's been nothing but trash there since. They've had like 5 different coaches in 7 seasons, including Derek Fisher(you can tell they were grasping for straws at that point). Never added even a 2nd star. Jeremy Lin was literally the best pick up in 7 seasons of the Melo era (not counting Porzingis). 7 seasons of playing with bad teammates could have a negative effect on a player. Getting back to focusing on winning games could be a major positive for Melo and a huge payoff for the team he's on.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 08-01-2018 at 12:33 AM.

It was actually just 2 years ago in 2016.

https://youtu.be/-OuAL4gDkAw

I posted a highlight video so that must make it true!

In 2016 Melo averaged 12 pts a game on just 39% FG shooting while taking the 2nd most shots on the team. He also accompanied that with 61% FT shooting.

In 2012 he averaged 16 pts a game on 53.5% shooting again taking the 2nd most shots on the game. Averaged 79% from the FT line too.

So again, the Olympics where Melo was "GOOD" was in 2012.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 08-01-2018 at 06:50 AM.

Melo is a proven winner. NCAA championship as a freshman. He came to the NBA and promised the Nuggets a playoff berth his rookie season and delivered. In fact he took them to the playoffs 7 straight seasons. 3 time gold medalist. One of the most clutch performers of all time.

The Knicks were just a bad situation. First they gave up way too much to get him, then Amare falls completely off the map, and it's been nothing but trash there since. They've had like 5 different coaches in 7 seasons, including Derek Fisher(you can tell they were grasping for straws at that point). Never added even a 2nd star. Jeremy Lin was literally the best pick up in 7 seasons of the Melo era (not counting Porzingis). 7 seasons of playing with bad teammates could have a negative effect on a player. Getting back to focusing on winning games could be a major positive for Melo and a huge payoff for the team he's on.
    So what happened to him in OKC?

I do think he will be better suited to Houstons system, but his best day's are gone.

Thread Information