Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    It sure would be nice to have Josh Hart back. Then again Willie won’t play him . At least he found success in NY.
    You do this for every player who ever does anything decent after leaving the Pelicans.

How many roster spots do you expect us to have? If you had your way we'd have about 40 people under contract right now.
    Basketball.

All I want is Murray this off-season by packaging a trade including CJ or BI…This team is need of a PG.

And go all in on Sarr (reminds of Kevin Garnett), but then again, I don’t think he fits well with Z, so maybe not. But definitely need to go all in on a starting 5

Those are my 2 off-season wishes ^. PG + C.
    Last edited by WhyHornetsWhy; 05-03-2024 at 12:13 AM.

Glad I am not a GM.

Because I would gladly give up Herb, CJ, and BI, and four future 1sts in some sort of combination that gets us both Booker and Murray

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    All I want is Murray this off-season by packaging a trade including CJ or BI?This team is need of a PG.

And go all in on Sarr (reminds of Kevin Garnett), but then again, I don?t think he fits well with Z, so maybe not. But definitely need to go all in on a starting 5

Those are my 2 off-season wishes ^. PG + C.
    Ingram for Murray is interesting, but it depends on if the Hawks really want to pay B.O

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You do this for every player who ever does anything decent after leaving the Pelicans.

How many roster spots do you expect us to have? If you had your way we'd have about 40 people under contract right now.
    We need clutch players. I would love to have Maxey too. Ingram, CJ, some draft picks. Think Morey bites on it?

We need clutch players. I would love to have Maxey too. Ingram, CJ, some draft picks. Think Morey bites on it?
    Unlikely.

Same principle with the Minnesota situation, though perhaps not quite as strong. Why would good teams, in playoff contention, who already have their salaries determined for the most part, want to lose good cheap assets in exchange for guys who wouldn't be top-impact on their team and would be brain-damagingly expensive? Sixers just got off Tobias Harris, why would they want to pay $50m a year for Tobias-Harris-but-skinny and lose a PG (a position they desperately need more from) in exchange?

Convince me why giving up Herb, CJ, BI, and 5 future 1sts can’t net me Booker and Murray in any combination of trades?

Could be BI + 3 firsts for Booker

Could be CJ + Herb + 2 firsts for Murray

-

I just think Murray and Booker and Trey fits Zion perfectly.
    Last edited by WhyHornetsWhy; 05-03-2024 at 11:45 AM.

Unlikely.

Same principle with the Minnesota situation, though perhaps not quite as strong. Why would good teams, in playoff contention, who already have their salaries determined for the most part, want to lose good cheap assets in exchange for guys who wouldn't be top-impact on their team and would be brain-damagingly expensive? Sixers just got off Tobias Harris, why would they want to pay $50m a year for Tobias-Harris-but-skinny and lose a PG (a position they desperately need more from) in exchange?

Windy says the Sixers are monitoring the Ingram situation. Give me Maxey

Or this?

I just think Murray and Booker and Trey fits Zion perfectly.
    Herb also fits Zion perfectly. One of the league's best wing defenders who is now a 40% 3pt shooter, it's hard to get a better fit.

Could be BI + 3 firsts for Booker
    Suns wouldn't do that. Booker is their franchise player, he's better than BI, and they're not in a rebuild so the picks how lower value to them - if they were intending to flip the picks for other stuff to support KD and Beal, then they'd want more than 3 first anyway since Booker is a megastar and 5 picks has been established as fairly typical for such trades (AD trade, PG trade, Gobert trade).

Could be CJ + Herb + 2 firsts for Murray
    Murray is good and a solid fit but he isn't 2x40% 3pt shooters and an all-defense guy level good. You're giving up far too much there before you even get to the picks - you're getting robbed.

Plus you wouldn't have the picks either because you'd have to add those to the BI trade for that to even get taken semi-seriously.

Getting rid of CJ for Murray is fair - Murray isn't quite as good a 3Pt shooter as CJ but he's a bigger and better defender so you add some and lose some, and overall probably keep value relatively solid between the two. Add in age and Murray probably fits better long term.

That changes when you add Herb in. Herb is one of the best possible fits for Zion, it's hard to invent a better fit, and he's on one of the league's best contracts. You don't use that as a throw in for a guy who isn't even a superstar.

Windy says the Sixers are monitoring the Ingram situation. Give me Maxey
    They may well be monitoring it, but not for Maxey. It'll be Tobias Harry S&T or some nonsense.

Or this?

That's pretty much the same deal as the Duren + $30m exception + FRPs from Detroit that I was talking about the other day. I prefer Duren to Reed, but if it's multiple picks instead of one it may look alright.

Certainly sets the table for what might be on offer. If the two were available I'd still go the Detroit option but of course, we don't know if Detroit would actually do that for sure.

If the Clippers want to unload Terance Mann I would listen too. Another idea.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Now we need Zion to fire Willie.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Now we need Zion to fire Willie.
    Well, BI fired Stan Van Gundy so it's not out of the question.

That said, I do think Zion likes WG as a person so it's probably not going to happen.

Hire JJ for the coaching staff. I know he doesn't like Griff and I assume the feeling is mutual but I don't care. If he doesn't end up Lakers HC, hire that man. If there is anyone who can convince WG of the importance of shooting and using Point Zion, it's JJ Redick.

Edit: also, aside from Zion liking WG, I also don't think Griff likes Zion as much as he does BI, so he wouldn't take his views as seriously. Just the vibe I get, no sources.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 05-03-2024 at 01:42 PM.

It will be interesting to watch the Lakers nonsense next year. It seems like a nightmare situation for any coach. And next year it will even be worse because you’ll be pressured into playing Lebron’s son no matter how much he sucks.

I wonder how many free throws the NBA will have to gift the Lakers next year to get them back into the playoffs?

LeBron finds his scapegoat.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    It will be interesting to watch the Lakers nonsense next year. It seems like a nightmare situation for any coach. And next year it will even be worse because you’ll be pressured into playing Lebron’s son no matter how much he sucks.

I wonder how many free throws the NBA will have to gift the Lakers next year to get them back into the playoffs?
    So hard being a coach in today's league. Even if you don't have the right personnel, you're on the chopping block if a team doesn't perform well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    So hard being a coach in today's league. Even if you don't have the right personnel, you're on the chopping block if a team doesn't perform well.
    That's because it's a players league, and more so a start players league, It's the way the NBA wants it it's the way the game is set up and the way it's officiated. Flop and you get rewarded, be a star player and flop and you get it even more. If you're a star and you constantly complain ( Lebron Luka,Booker ) you get what you want. Be a good player and play like you're supposed to ( Herb, Z) and they ignore you . It's getting to be lost unwatchable
    Last edited by djrnno; 05-04-2024 at 12:39 AM. Reason: typo

Don't really believe this is fully accurate, but Sidery writes on the NBA for Forbes, among other things, so might be worth throwing into the thread.

I don't think it's true that the Pelicans wont offer an extension. I'm pretty sure they will. They might not be willing to offer him the max, which I think would be a correct move by them, but they will offer something. If he agrees to re-sign for 3yr/$90m then they'd bite his hand off, for example, I'm sure of that.

But still worth noting, seems to be some smoke surrounding the idea that the Pels aren't giving up that contract to him.

More smoke, I should say, after the Windhorst stuff the other day where he said BI 'might be on the market'.

More smoke, I should say, after the Windhorst stuff the other day where he said BI 'might be on the market'.
    We know how close to the vest this organization can be with information so if word is getting oit that he won't be offered an extension, I could see that as the FO letting him know they will likely offer less than that max.

Honestly, I hope he takes a lesser offer to stay with the team. Guys always say they want to win but then 99% of the time they follow the money. I can't blame them, you have to maximize your earnings while you can. At the same time I think I would take a few million less to possibly be on a contending team and not hamstring them in the process. But its impossible to know how I would react unless I get put in that actual situation. I hope he realizes the team needs more help and the only way to get that is by not tieing their hands going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    We know how close to the vest this organization can be with information so if word is getting oit that he won't be offered an extension, I could see that as the FO letting him know they will likely offer less than that max.

Honestly, I hope he takes a lesser offer to stay with the team. Guys always say they want to win but then 99% of the time they follow the money. I can't blame them, you have to maximize your earnings while you can. At the same time I think I would take a few million less to possibly be on a contending team and not hamstring them in the process. But its impossible to know how I would react unless I get put in that actual situation. I hope he realizes the team needs more help and the only way to get that is by not tieing their hands going forward.
    I think Griff and Windhorst have something of a track record, and Windy can be a blowhard but he doesn't usually make such direct claims out of absolutely nowhere (he talked about Jimmy Butler first but he intro'd the BI section by saying that he was talking about stars who 'will not' be given an extension, which is pretty straight up), so I'm generally inclined to take him seriously on this matter.

The thing is, if you're BI, what on Earth would motivate you to stay with the Pelicans if not the money? You float the idea of taking a few million less to stay on a possibly contending team, but WHAT possibly contending team, you know? If winning is the motivator, why would you stay with the Pels? You've been here 5 years and won diddly-squat. Zip. Nada. If you're serious about contending right now, you go elsewhere, and if we're not offering the max money then that can't be a motivator either. The only remaining possibility is that he loves the city so much he's willing to sacrifice cash and winning, and I don't think there's any player who would give up both those things for comfort.

I'm at a point where I believe BI has an enormous ego. It's not an aggressive ego, so maybe people would sell it as self-confidence, but there's no other way to explain having a head coach openly tell people what their offensive identity is, and for you to just straight up ignore it completely. He wants to play the way he wants to play and he will not let ANYONE tell him otherwise. That's ego, one way or another.

So when you say that you hope he realises the team needs more help, I don't think that's in his mentality. He thinks he's enough, and will just blame injury and stuff for this year. Or he'll say that Zion needs to go to get him more help. Or he'll blame WG the way he blamed SVG.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I'm at a point where I believe BI has an enormous ego. It's not an aggressive ego, so maybe people would sell it as self-confidence, but there's no other way to explain having a head coach openly tell people what their offensive identity is, and for you to just straight up ignore it completely. He wants to play the way he wants to play and he will not let ANYONE tell him otherwise. That's ego, one way or another.
    There is another explanation: habit. Habits are hard to break. He's played that way ever since he's played basketball. It would be like telling Zion to stop driving to the basket with his left hand.

Thread Information