Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Offseason Thread

Dejuante Murray might stunt Dyson Daniels' growth, for they have similar skill sets imo

Oh I forgot we're already contending for championships }

Murray's first three years he averaged 3.4 ppg, 8.1ppg, 10.9ppg.
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 05-06-2024 at 04:12 PM.

Hmmmmm, Miami may move Butler

https://heavy.com/sports/nba/miami-h...ler-extension/

Pat Riley Puts Jimmy Butler on Notice Amid Looming Heat Extension, Trade Rumors

This could reek an Ingram trade eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Dejuante Murray might stunt Dyson Daniels' growth, for they have similar skill sets imo?
    They don't play similarly at all. Dyson struggles handling the ball in the half-court, acts almost like a 4 on offense when he's scoring, is an elite defender and connective passer but not much of anything else right now.

Murray is an actual point guard who can actually run a pick and roll and shoots pretty well on decent volume, including a healthy diet of pull-ups.

They're actually pretty dramatically different.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Hmmmmm, Miami may move Butler

https://heavy.com/sports/nba/miami-h...ler-extension/

Pat Riley Puts Jimmy Butler on Notice Amid Looming Heat Extension, Trade Rumors

This could reek an Ingram trade eventually?
    Love to trade my max contract mid-range heavy wing who misses 20+ games every year due to injury for a max contract mid-range heavy wing who misses 20+ games every year due to injury.

Obviously Butler is the better player and has a much richer playoff resume but he's also 35 and his new contract is going to take him into retirement, most likely. He's not going to be worth anything like the money the back end of that deal will bring him. No way would I get involved in that.

Agree. No way I would trade BI for Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Love to trade my max contract mid-range heavy wing who misses 20+ games every year due to injury for a max contract mid-range heavy wing who misses 20+ games every year due to injury.

Obviously Butler is the better player and has a much richer playoff resume but he's also 35 and his new contract is going to take him into retirement, most likely. He's not going to be worth anything like the money the back end of that deal will bring him. No way would I get involved in that.
    The other option could be Klay Thompson. Just thinking like our organization thinks.

Shamit agrees with me?

My fear is that Trajan and Grif. are noticing interest in Ingram stock is higher that they thought and they will back off from moving him. Give him the money. Simply feel his bad stats late in season could have been due to the injury he was recovering.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 05-06-2024 at 04:42 PM.

Shamit agrees with me?

My fear is that Trajan and Grif. are noticing interest in Ingram stock is higher that they thought and they will back off from moving him. Give him the money. Simply feel his bad stats late in season could have been due to the injury he was recovering.

He doesn't really agree with you. In fact, Shamit's very next tweet was adding the context that he thinks that he will be offered a contract but that it's more believable that it's not the max.

I agree with you, though. I think that BI should be traded but I've also said a number of times that I think David Griffin has tied his ego to Brandon Ingram and will give him the money anyway, dooming the franchise to mediocrity. Should he be given that money? Nope. Will he? Probably. Griff has given me no reason to believe he'll make the right move. I hope he will, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The other option could be Klay Thompson. Just thinking like our organization thinks.
    If you're thinking like our organisation thinks, you should stop thinking about trades at all and just commit to giving Brandon all the money.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why is everyone so infatuated with Duren as the centerpiece of a trade for BI? I get that he is young and has potential (and I like him). However, he is not the best fit next to Zion and has made some really dumb plays (including dumb fouls) since coming into the NBA. Not sure what the thought is on his basketball IQ. I would love him as part of a trade, but not the key centerpiece of a trade for BI.
    I think the centerpiece here is the top 5 pick in the draft that would accompany Duren

If you're thinking like our organisation thinks, you should stop thinking about trades at all and just commit to giving Brandon all the money.
    It is possible that this is the right thing to do. We wouldn't be privy to the conversations between the organization and brandon; but those conversations could influence things greatly. He could convey his mission to jack up a minimum of 10 3's a game and work on his shot tirelessly this summer; and even come back most improved and the whole fanbase would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    It is possible that this is the right thing to do. We wouldn't be privy to the conversations between the organization and brandon; but those conversations could influence things greatly. He could convey his mission to jack up a minimum of 10 3's a game and work on his shot tirelessly this summer; and even come back most improved and the whole fanbase would love it.
    I mean, I suppose it's possible in the sense that it's possible I'm going to marry Zendaya. It's not banned by the laws of nature, but the likelihood is so vanishingly small that planning around it is asking for failure.

Sure, BI could come back next year and shoot 39% on 10 3PAs a game. A woman once fell out of a plane at 33000 feet with no parachute and lived, but I'm not about to go free-diving with British Airways.

I mean, I suppose it's possible in the sense that it's possible I'm going to marry Zendaya. It's not banned by the laws of nature, but the likelihood is so vanishingly small that planning around it is asking for failure.

Sure, BI could come back next year and shoot 39% on 10 3PAs a game. A woman once fell out of a plane at 33000 feet with no parachute and lived, but I'm not about to go free-diving with British Airways.
    I do get what you're saying , I do think BI altering his game has a better chance of happening than your examples. And I'm very much in favor of trading him with pieces that fit better. But BI will never change with WG as HC, because WG will not make him change. If we had a stronger offensive HC that Griffin would not cave into BI like he did with SVG then his chances of altering his game would be increased

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    I do get what you're saying , I do think BI altering his game has a better chance of happening than your examples. And I'm very much in favor of trading him with pieces that fit better. But BI will never change with WG as HC, because WG will not make him change. If we had a stronger offensive HC that Griffin would not cave into BI like he did with SVG then his chances of altering his game would be increased
    The problem is that BI hates that. Your example proves it: part of the reason we don't have SVG anymore is that he did push BI, and BI hated it. Hated it so much his outlook was part of getting SVG fired, according to some sources.

If you're so against changing your game that you get coaches fired for trying to make you, you're not just going to decide voluntarily - in a CONTRACT SEASON, which next year will be if he's not extended now - to play a less selfish form of basketball. 9 years in.

I just don't buy it at all. He's shown no interest in it. He has shown active anti-interest in it. I get having hope but blind hope is exactly that - blind.

Not being super argumentative, I know you already agree with me on trading him, I just can't buy the possibility of it. I've seen no proof of his willingness, and plenty proof of his unwillingness.

BI, Herb, + 2 1sts for Booker.

Dae, would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    BI, Herb, + 2 1sts for Booker.

Dae, would you do it?
    Probably. Wouldn't like it, Herb's pretty much a perfect fit alongside Zion and two firsts smart, but Booker's a legit star and fits very well with Zion offensively, and BI's value seems to low to do it without giving up draft compensation and one of either Herb or Trey, and Trey's ceiling is higher than Herbs I feel.

I don't think the Suns would do it though. They're more likely to try and move off Beal, if anything, and I don't want him.

Edit: probably depends what day you ask me as well
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 05-06-2024 at 10:27 PM.

So, I can offer some (very) limited insight on Ingram. This is second hand from folks I know who are close to senior execs in the organization (not Griffin).

Ingram has been asked, repeatedly, to change his shot profile to include more 3-pointers the same way CJ was and did. Ingram says he understands but doesn't follow through. The message to management (from their point of view) is "I'm the leader on this team. I keep it together while Zion disappears. I gotta play my way, I can't play your way. We can win with me playing my way." (obviously this a simplification of many, many conversations, and again is second hand).

The problem is there is a lot of truth in what Ingram says. He has been the leader in the absence of Zion up to now and the team was concerned about what might happen if they disciplined the leader or traded him away. Griff and Willie have also set up BI to be the lead guy on the team, while neither had a great relationship with Zion, or at least not a very close one.

The last element, and I don't want to hit this one too hard, is there is a little division on the team between guys who are super-devout christians (Willie, Brandon, Naji) and the guys who aren't (Zion, Trey, CJ). Hard to know how much of an issue it is, if any at all, but it seems to some at least that it has some impact on team dynamics. Something similar happened when Monty coached the team.

None of this means the team won't trade Brandon or will automatically give him the max extension he's seeking (not seen as likely that he'd take less than the max). But it just rounds out the picture a little on what the team's concerns are with trading him. Frankly, these issues would make it more likely I WOULD trade him if I was sure he couldn't be the second guy next to Zion on a contender, which I am pretty sure about...

Are you watching what Minny is doing right now? Yeah that should us. Oh look there is NAW !

How old is Mike Conley? This guy has come back to life

Timberwolves GM on the tv screen . Tim Connelly

Look up 2010 New Orleans Hornets Frontt Office . Yep that is him

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    So, I can offer some (very) limited insight on Ingram. This is second hand from folks I know who are close to senior execs in the organization (not Griffin).

Ingram has been asked, repeatedly, to change his shot profile to include more 3-pointers the same way CJ was and did. Ingram says he understands but doesn't follow through. The message to management (from their point of view) is "I'm the leader on this team. I keep it together while Zion disappears. I gotta play my way, I can't play your way. We can win with me playing my way." (obviously this a simplification of many, many conversations, and again is second hand).

The problem is there is a lot of truth in what Ingram says. He has been the leader in the absence of Zion up to now and the team was concerned about what might happen if they disciplined the leader or traded him away. Griff and Willie have also set up BI to be the lead guy on the team, while neither had a great relationship with Zion, or at least not a very close one.
    The thing is that this hasn't been true for some time.

For better or for worse, Zion has played almost the same number of game as BI over the last two seasons, and BI has been noticeably regressing. CJ has been the outspoken, vocal leader of the team during that time as well - BI's appearances on the podium or his voice in the huddle is notable because of how often it's absent.

He was ''the leader'' of a losing period of basketball that hasn't existed for at least a year, and in all honestly probably two. Him refusing to adapt to team dynamics in 2024 because of what things were like in 2022 is absurd. That's arrogance.

That said, every other voice I've heard talking about the Pelicans has said basically the same thing - and frankly, you don't even need insider info. Willie Green has a ton of faults, mostly offensive, but he has been extremely clear every time he's spoken to anyone that the offense is supposed to predicated on generating and taking threes. Griff, again full of faults, has spoken the same way. That message has been clearly heard by the team because Naji, Herb, and CJ have all adjusted to it and have all mentioned it in media appearances. Even without insider info it is clear what the offensive philosophy is, and it is also clear that BI has not actually adjusted his game to it at all.

But then, this is the guy who - in the post-game presser early in the OKC series - was asked about OKC getting physical, said ''let them, I'll be ready for them'' and then proceeded to vanish in multiple consecutive games, not even taking shots for huge periods of time. This is a guy whose play is consistently at odds with his messaging, so to hear he's said he understands and then who has failed to produce that change is no surprise.

Yea watching the wolves makes me think the best path forward is to just go for a suffocatingly dominant defense and then just hope the offense can stay about the same. Luckily I think you can build a #1 defense around Herb.

Seeing NAW and Hart flourish in the playoffs has gotta be at least a little painful for this staff/FO.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Yea watching the wolves makes me think the best path forward is to just go for a suffocatingly dominant defense and then just hope the offense can stay about the same. Luckily I think you can build a #1 defense around Herb.

Seeing NAW and Hart flourish in the playoffs has gotta be at least a little painful for this staff/FO.
    The Wolves have one of the best stars in the NBA, also they are just a good matchup against Jokic.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    The Wolves have one of the best stars in the NBA, also they are just a good matchup against Jokic.
    And also, Murray is crippled and Denver lost half their bench in the last year.

Also, the Wolves have one of the best defenses of all time. Betting on developing a top 5 defense EVER as an excuse to avoid building even a semi-functioning offense is hilarious. Like going to a boxing coach and saying ''nah, I don't need to learn a jab, I'll just be Pernell Whittaker instead, seems easier''.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    And also, Murray is crippled and Denver lost half their bench in the last year.

Also, the Wolves have one of the best defenses of all time. Betting on developing a top 5 defense EVER as an excuse to avoid building even a semi-functioning offense is hilarious. Like going to a boxing coach and saying ''nah, I don't need to learn a jab, I'll just be Pernell Whittaker instead, seems easier''.
    Maybe I'm delusional but I think the Pels matchup well against the Wolves.

Thread Information