Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Thunder vs Pelicans : Game 4 Playoffs! GAMEDAY THREAD!

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Two links have been posted boss. There's quite a few guys making what he makes now, that are in the same tier as him production wise. Those same players will continue to make what he makes. He's a 2B player. He will get max contracts. Just like any other 2B player.
    The discussion is not what he is making now, but what his extension potentially will be (30% max). Those are two very different discussions. What he is making now is irrelevant to the discussion, boss.
    Last edited by PELICANSFAN; 04-30-2024 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    He might want a max contract but he won't get one from any NBA team this offseason. I am willing to bet money on that.
    The only team I can see him getting it from is the Pelicans because of Griffin's love for him.

We are talking past one another. Players who put up the numbers that he does during the regular season at his age get max contracts. They will always get max contracts. You're hanging on to the particulars of the contract to prove your point. I'm saying it doesn't matter. He will get his max, and anyone else that produces at his level will also get max deals. This issue isn't one we're going to see eye to eye on which is odd but I don't see the point in us talking past one another on this matter.
    I am not sure you understand the discussion that everyone is having and the difference in the max contracts. All max contracts are not the same and I think you are using it in a generic sense rather than addressing the question that was posed.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I am not sure you understand the discussion that everyone is having and the difference in the max contracts. All max contracts are not the same and I think you are using it in a generic sense rather than addressing the question that was posed.
    Ownership will most likely give him what he wants. They don't care about winning championships, and they aren't going to pay for a championship roster. It's the easiest way to stay somewhat competitive.

This exchange about Ingram's salary has dragged on a bit too much for me. I don't care what he makes, it is my opinion that he'll get whatever he wants because of his age, and stat line for the regular season. This isn't something I'm willing to argue over, it doesn't affect me. I'm just giving an opinion. If he doesn't get it, it won't matter to me one bit.

Ownership will most likely give him what he wants. They don't care about winning championships, and they aren't going to pay for a championship roster. It's the easiest way to stay somewhat competitive.

This exchange about Ingram's salary has dragged on a bit too much for me. I don't care what he makes, it is my opinion that he'll get whatever he wants because of his age, and stat line for the regular season. This isn't something I'm willing to argue over, it doesn't affect me. I'm just giving an opinion. If he doesn't get it, it won't matter to me one bit.
    I think people are confusing your opinion that he gets a max with them thinking you are advocating for him to get that max deal. I get what your saying and I agree. Like it or not he will most likely be getting a max contract. It will most likely be here but if not it will be somewhere else. If it isn't a max it will be close.

It's just how things are. This is probably the team moving forward other than some bench tinkering and a new center. I really only see CJ being moved for what would likely be a lateral player. But it might actually be better to have amother guy that can defend better and shoot 3s at a decent clip but not give you the scoring CJ can at times.

As an aside, what the hell happened to CJ? He was dominant down the stretch and fell off a cliff starting with the Lakers game. Played a little better last night but too little too late.

My argument hinges on that, which I've bolded.. And If it's not an option with this ownership, then your course of action, and that of others is the only direction to go in.

I do agree that Jamal and Jokic have synergy, but Jamal is definitely an all-star. Unfortunately for him he plays in the west. I also feel strongly that it's up to the coach to implement a scheme that isn't a "your turn, okay my turn" type offense with your star players.
    In terms of what we think he might be worth and what he's produced, you're right. But in reality, he very literally has never been an all-star.

All-Star, All-NBA, All-Defense, these are actual things. People actually do and do not receive these awards. When I say Jamal Murray is not and has never been an all-star, I'm not talking about his quality of play at all, I'm referring to the fact that he has literally never been on an actual all-star team.

Which is kind of my point. I would rather have players who fit excellently together and elevate each other, even if those names don't have the accolades, because sometimes accolades aren't the most important thing.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You don't necessarily need to get Clint.

Right now, Pistons fans on Twitter are seemingly somewhat interested in acquiring BI. At least some of them. They have a desperate need for starter-quality players and no real playoff hopes in the immediate future, they just want relatively young names who can do something.

A Pistons fan suggested BI + Our pick this year for Jalen Duren + their top 4 pick this year.

I'd do that, get Duren, obviously a pick, and then you could use the $30m trade exception created by that move (because the Pistons could just take BI into space) to acquire Murray.

Then you get Murray + Duren + Top 4 pick for BI, essentially. I'd do that in a heartbeat.
    I'm not sure you could get any one of those things for Ingram, let alone all 3. But getting a quality player still on their rookie contract and movable salary is definitely the type of deals I'd be looking at for Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I'm not sure you could get any one of those things for Ingram, let alone all 3. But getting a quality player still on their rookie contract and movable salary is definitely the type of deals I'd be looking at for Ingram.
    Duren + the Pistons pick is the trade the Pistons fans were suggesting Acquiring Murray just happens in a separate deal after that BI himself isn't involved in

But of course that's just an early idea, who knows what options will actually be available once Griff hits the phones. I agree, if you can get a young, promising player and some flexibility, I'd be fairly happy. What actual options we have will depend.

You are probably not wrong there.

What a bad way to finish this game and this season… BIG disappointed.

All-Star
    ingrams press conference was kinda heartbreaking. the dude looks broken. having said that he kinda looks like that in all interiews.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I think people are confusing your opinion that he gets a max with them thinking you are advocating for him to get that max deal. I get what your saying and I agree. Like it or not he will most likely be getting a max contract. It will most likely be here but if not it will be somewhere else. If it isn't a max it will be close.

It's just how things are. This is probably the team moving forward other than some bench tinkering and a new center. I really only see CJ being moved for what would likely be a lateral player. But it might actually be better to have amother guy that can defend better and shoot 3s at a decent clip but not give you the scoring CJ can at times.

As an aside, what the hell happened to CJ? He was dominant down the stretch and fell off a cliff starting with the Lakers game. Played a little better last night but too little too late.
    Correct lol.. I don't like the fact that a decent pack of bacon is 10 bucks but that's the going rate. Remembering when I first moved out of my parents house and being upset at how much mattresses cost, but again that's what the market dictates. Shrugs.. I try not to be so hard on CJ, he's in a role that may not be best for him, but he's there based on team needs. Given the appropriate role on a team I think he functions well. Though cost might be an issue.
    Last edited by Nichols; 05-01-2024 at 08:24 AM.

Ingram may have already got extended. He may have been in the secret extensions too. Our Front Office. “Let him have it”

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    In terms of what we think he might be worth and what he's produced, you're right. But in reality, he very literally has never been an all-star.

All-Star, All-NBA, All-Defense, these are actual things. People actually do and do not receive these awards. When I say Jamal Murray is not and has never been an all-star, I'm not talking about his quality of play at all, I'm referring to the fact that he has literally never been on an actual all-star team.

Which is kind of my point. I would rather have players who fit excellently together and elevate each other, even if those names don't have the accolades, because sometimes accolades aren't the most important thing.
    We are in agreement for the most part. Technically he's not an All-Star, but he most definitely gives you All-Star production. He's not just a guy that fits, he is a 2a/Second best player on a championship team.
    Last edited by Nichols; 04-30-2024 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Ingram may have already got extended. He may have been in the secret extensions too. Our Front Office. “Let him have it”
    Unlike FO and Coaching extensions where, technically speaking, they can be given at any time and the team never really has to tell anyone unless they want to, player extensions are mediated by the league itself and the player's association. Obviously, that has not already happened and could not happen as a 'secret extension'.

Have they spoken already? Probably, though BI denied it today (whether you believe that or not is a different issue) but no, he has not actually already signed an extension.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieHornet View Post
    ingrams press conference was kinda heartbreaking. the dude looks broken. having said that he kinda looks like that in all interiews.
    A part of me is little glad it happened. He will have to live with this performance for the rest of his life. I have never seen an All-star like player locked up for the duration of an entire playoff series by one single player. He holds that honor. It's embarrassing. He feels it.

Hopefully this will compel him to recognize the flaws in how he plays basketball, and mandate a change in his play style.

Didn't even see this until now. Woof. Knew it was bad, didn't register that it was quite that bad.

Thread Information