Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2024 NBA DRAFT INFO Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    I heard a scout said that Nicola Topic is "the white SGA"; hence I rewatched some videos of him........ Ill tell ya this, players certainly will have problems staying in front of him... as they do with SGA

He and Matas are two of the players I'd covet the most
    I wouldn't say he's the white SGA personally - I feel like Topic is way stiffer in the ankles and knees and has significantly worse lateral mobility - but in terms of being a craft based shifty finisher with surprising athleticism, I see it.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I wouldn't say he's the white SGA personally - I feel like Topic is way stiffer in the ankles and knees and has significantly worse lateral mobility - but in terms of being a craft based shifty finisher with surprising athleticism, I see it.
    well said

, perhaps the better comparison is the one I just read, "the Serbian Bob Cousy"

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    well said

, perhaps the better comparison is the one I just read, "the Serbian Bob Cousy"
    Bob Cousy but after they started letting people dribble in a reasonable fashion.

Here it is . The line up

Full order per nba.com

Here’s the complete order for the first round:

1. Atlanta
    2. Washington
    3. Houston (from Brooklyn)
    4. San Antonio
    5. Detroit
    6. Charlotte
    7. Portland
    8. San Antonio (from Toronto)
    9. Memphis
    10. Utah
    11. Chicago
    12. Oklahoma City (from Houston)
    13. Sacramento
    14. Portland (from Golden State via Boston and Memphis)
    15. Miami
    16. Philadelphia
    17. Los Angeles Lakers1
    18. Orlando
    19. Toronto (from Indiana)
    20. Cleveland
    21. New Orleans (from Milwaukee)
    22. Phoenix
    23. Milwaukee (from New Orleans)
    24. New York (from Dallas)
    25. New York
    26. Washington (from LA Clippers via Dallas and Oklahoma City)
    27. Minnesota
    28. Denver
    29. Utah (from Oklahoma City via Toronto and Indiana)
    30. Boston

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I rolled my eyes so much while reading this. Collier at 5 is such a reach, his range is about 10 to 25 and he can't shoot. Holland underperformed in a program where top talent stagnate every year. We have yet to see an All-Stars from the ignite even though they recruit players in the top of the HS class every year. Clingan has major injury concern for his size.

It might be the range needed for Reed but do the pelicans really want to invest top 5 pick money on an undersized PG that didn't learn to run the point yet ?

I wouldn't move into the top 10 unless it's for Topic or Sarr, there's no other prospect I would invest so much money in.
    Last edited by Blattman; 05-13-2024 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I rolled my eyes so much while reading this. Collier at 5 is such a reach, his range is about 10 to 25 and he can't shoot. Holland underperformed in a program where top talent stagnate every year. We have yet to see an All-Stars from the ignite even though they recruit players in the top of the HS class every year. Clingan has major injury concern for his size.

It might be the range needed for Reed but do the pelicans really want to invest top 5 pick money on an undersized PG that didn't learn to run the point yet ?

I wouldn't move into the top 10 unless it's for Topic or Sarr, there's no other prospect I would invest so much money in.
    Collier at 5 in a normal draft might be a reach, in this draft I think it's totally justifiable.

The weakness of this draft is such that players will go higher than they 'should' in any other year, and it will be fair. For example, Sarr is coming around as a fairly consensus number 1, but he wouldn't have been a number one in any of the last 5 years. It's a product of the weak class. Is Collier a top 5 pick in the Zion draft? No, he's not, but this year? Sure. Makes sense to me.

Collier out of the lottery would be such a steal, in this draft he has some of the best upside out of any bet. Holland, too - I wouldn't want Holland on the Pelicans because of our team situation and where we are in terms of developing talent (that is, we aren't good at it) but send him somewhere with a track record of development and in 3 years he'll be winning minutes.

Could BI, Dys, #21 plus future first land us Dejounte + #1 (Sarr or Topic)

Or could it land us #2 (Topic)

Also is Bronny worth the look at #21?

Quote Originally Posted by bustah View Post
    I have Bronny more as a very late first or potentially second round pick (probably second). He's not nearly as bad as some people say, because I think a lot of people watch him just hoping they'll see Lebron James 2.0 and that is not the case, but there's also relatively little star upside and of course there's the health concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Collier at 5 in a normal draft might be a reach, in this draft I think it's totally justifiable.

The weakness of this draft is such that players will go higher than they 'should' in any other year, and it will be fair. For example, Sarr is coming around as a fairly consensus number 1, but he wouldn't have been a number one in any of the last 5 years. It's a product of the weak class. Is Collier a top 5 pick in the Zion draft? No, he's not, but this year? Sure. Makes sense to me.

Collier out of the lottery would be such a steal, in this draft he has some of the best upside out of any bet. Holland, too - I wouldn't want Holland on the Pelicans because of our team situation and where we are in terms of developing talent (that is, we aren't good at it) but send him somewhere with a track record of development and in 3 years he'll be winning minutes.
    The thing about the 5th pick, it's also a lot of guaranteed money for a prospect. With the rookie scale, it's about commiting between 7M to 9M per year on the next 3 years and all the time you commit 9M since most agents are looking for the 120% contract.

I understand the appeal of taking a flyer on high upside players like Holland or Collier but tying that much money to such low floor players could be quite harmful cap-wise even with the coming cap spike.

Don’t forget we could take Lakers #17 pick and package that .

Don’t forget we could take Lakers #17 pick and package that .
    Wouldn't want to, Lakers are probably going to be worse again next year and it's a significantly better draft. The ability to deny the Lakers a good pick in 2025 while helping ourselves get a higher pick, I'd do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bustah View Post
    He may go back to school if we draft him. Probably not worth the drama. We got enough drama with Zion.

https://twitter.com/NoCeilingsNBA/st...29118089666679

Ware is who the Pels need to get

His skill level also fits what the Pels need around Zion

Alexandre Sarr- obvious we will need someone to guard wimby and chet for the foreseeable future, while not clogging it up on our end
    Nikola Topic- the other obvious need for us. he'd be kinda perfect for us
    Matas Buzelis- not the greatest fit, but you gotta take talent when you can. his floor is franz wagner imo

at the 21st pick id covet

Kel'el Ware (my favorite at 21)
    or
    Devin Carter
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 05-13-2024 at 01:44 PM.

He may go back to school if we draft him. Probably not worth the drama. We got enough drama with Zion.
    hes not worth it with no drama

Quote Originally Posted by Mount_Zion View Post
    https://twitter.com/NoCeilingsNBA/st...29118089666679

Ware is who the Pels need to get

His skill level also fits what the Pels need around Zion
    If we stay at 21, I'd love Kel'el, if he fell that far. He's awesome. I could justify taking him top 10, easily.

Laughing myself into a coma with Reed Sheppard recording a 42 inch vert out of absolutely nowhere.

Thread Information