Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans vs Thunder (YHT) Game 1 Playoffs! GAMEDAY THREAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Are you stupid? One of the first plays of the game, Ingram was parked on the block. That's an iso buddy. And it was designed. This happens all the time. Does he force iso's on his own at times. Yes, but quite often he it's by design.
    I consider taking contested fade away middies just as bad as ISO plays, so he can sit anywhere by design (if you really think that WG draws up any meaniful plays).

When the ball moves the team looks good, but BI just reverts to his bad habits when any team/player who can defend him.

BI is not a great ball handler. Takes him too long to get to his spot and then they send a second defender at him. Don’t understand why they just don’t run their offense and get somebody open, doesn’t have to always be iso at the end. Besides the iso guy won’t give the ball up and the world knows it.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Part of the superlative season I mentioned is that he hasn't been isolating all year long. For the most part he's been released from that role and, especially when Zion has been playing, he's been awesome off ball. It's allowed him so much success.

When it comes to isolation on this team, CJ has not been the issue by and large.
    Okay.. and that plays into what I'm saying. He had to do more isolating in this game. I know he's good off-ball.

I know we also have to consider that in the playoffs defenses are amped up and make it difficult to run plays. So sometimes you have to run with a broken play. Which leads to iso's and picks. This is why I'd really like to see JV on the floor. He will get a high percentage look on most possessions, which can at least collapse the defense.

To be clear, I do think Ingram needs to make decisions faster. Since he's good at making difficult shots, he will hold on to the ball too long trying to create one.

To be clear, I do think Ingram needs to make decisions faster. Since he's good at making difficult shots, he will hold on to the ball too long trying to create one.
    This has always been my biggest problem with BI.

I know he's good at taking those shots, and it's good that he CAN hit them. It's valuable to have someone who can hit those shots.

It's not valuable at all to have someone who will break the flow of the offense so they can choose to take those difficult shots. And he loves doing that. Always has, potentially always will.

What confuses me is why he's stopped taking threes. Go back three seasons and he was taking them at a career clip. The last two years, he's taken fewer and fewer. His percentages and volume this season are misleading because he's had a few games where he exploded and they're lifting the averages, but overall this year he just hasn't bothered and when he has, he's missed.

His style is just completely out of step with the rest of the team at this point.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I agree that CJ does not have the clutch gene and Willie calls iso plays that don't work. Pels suck at scoring on the final play, we need to be up by two possessions to win.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Yeah agreed, its in his basketball DNA, that is who he is. BI can make those contested fadeaway long mid range shots better than almost anyone. Which is cool but it still sucks as a shot choice. That is his game, and does anyone believe its going to change?

The Franchise

Willie Green with the rare W

He's absolutely right. A lot of BI's problems this game came from him just wilting.
    This is why he's not a good coach. It's his job to find a way to free up his best players.

Examples..

Steph, Klay.. Offense designed to free them up.

Shaq, off-ball screens in the paint to get him free.

Jordan, Kobe, The triangle, was effective in catching players on the move.

Chris Webb, Dirk.. There were plays designed for Chris to catch the ball around the free throw line to make plays. Same kind of plays were ran for Dirk. There are many other examples.

This is why he's not a good coach. It's his job to find a way to free up his best players.

Examples..
    It doesn't matter how free you get a player when they are going to choose to pass up the open shot to take the contested one anyway, as a matter of choice. You can't free someone up when they WANT difficulty.

And if you design the entire offense to free up that one guy who wants the shot profile that's so awful, you necessarily make the offense less tailored to everyone else who is playing actual good modern basketball offense.

The Franchise
    This has always been my biggest problem with BI.

I know he's good at taking those shots, and it's good that he CAN hit them. It's valuable to have someone who can hit those shots.

It's not valuable at all to have someone who will break the flow of the offense so they can choose to take those difficult shots. And he loves doing that. Always has, potentially always will.

What confuses me is why he's stopped taking threes. Go back three seasons and he was taking them at a career clip. The last two years, he's taken fewer and fewer. His percentages and volume this season are misleading because he's had a few games where he exploded and they're lifting the averages, but overall this year he just hasn't bothered and when he has, he's missed.

His style is just completely out of step with the rest of the team at this point.
    I don't disagree.. I don't like a lot of contested mid-range shots. If I were the coach, I'd redirect him. He doesn't take as many 3's as he should because he's not confident he's going to make them. And I can see why. He has a solid season from 3, then will regress. I can't say why, since he does seem to work on it.

I don't believe he's going to ignore the coach. He will do what he's told. I think he's doing what he's allowed to do. Under coach Pop, do you think he would be a better player? With a better shot profile/selection?

The Franchise
    It doesn't matter how free you get a player when they are going to choose to pass up the open shot to take the contested one anyway, as a matter of choice. You can't free someone up when they WANT difficulty.

And if you design the entire offense to free up that one guy who wants the shot profile that's so awful, you necessarily make the offense less tailored to everyone else who is playing actual good modern basketball offense.
    Oh no, you misunderstood me. I don't think Ingram is a guy you tailor an entire offense around. He's not the franchise player. I'm just saying you should have some schemes in the system for him. And yes, sometimes he will pass on open shots, and make them more difficult than they have to be. This is when you coach him, and correct him.

Oh no, you misunderstood me. I don't think Ingram is a guy you tailor an entire offense around. He's not the franchise player. I'm just saying you should have some schemes in the system for him. And yes, sometimes he will pass on open shots, and make them more difficult than they have to be. This is when you coach him, and correct him.
    He's had people trying to coach him and correct him for nearly a decade now, and it HAD been improving, and then it's regressed.

When someone keeps going back to it no matter who the coach is, no matter who the players around him are, and no matter which team he's on, surely at some point you have to lay the blame at his feet. He's not a rookie, he's finishing up year eight.

We should have kept Josh Hart .

The Franchise
    He's had people trying to coach him and correct him for nearly a decade now, and it HAD been improving, and then it's regressed.

When someone keeps going back to it no matter who the coach is, no matter who the players around him are, and no matter which team he's on, surely at some point you have to lay the blame at his feet. He's not a rookie, he's finishing up year eight.
    Same things you guys don't like about his game.. I don't like either. I want to be clear on that.

I look at players like Manu, and Tony Parker, Kobe as a rook. They had to be molded and tamed to some extent.

I believe what you're saying, and others is that he can't be coached. I've not known him to be uncoachable. But maybe I'm wrong. You guys are more in tuned to what's happening in NO than I am. But if what you're saying is true, I don't know that there's a place for him in the league.

Are you saying he can't be coached?

The Franchise
    The Bucks are sort of the mold I was referring to guys.. In terms of keeping keeping Ingram, and having another all-star like player to pair with a franchise player. Giannis, Dame, Middleton. Maybe you can get away with one franchise player and one all-star. Example being the Nuggets. That said, Zion isn't as impactful as the Jocker is currently.

So if you can trade Ingram, and put yourself in that kind of position, I'm all for it. I just don't see a trade that can do that.

Same things you guys don't like about his game.. I don't like either. I want to be clear on that.

I look at players like Manu, and Tony Parker, Kobe as a rook. They had to be molded and tamed to some extent.

I believe what you're saying, and others is that he can't be coached. I've not known him to be uncoachable. But maybe I'm wrong. You guys are more in tuned to what's happening in NO than I am. But if what you're saying is true, I don't know that there's a place for him in the league.

Are you saying he can't be coached?
    I'm saying that he has shown an unwillingness to change his game other than to increase his own workload. Any changes he has made, he's reverted on for several seasons now.

Am I saying he's completely uncoachable? No. But am I saying that we've yet to find the coach who can persuade him to change in this particular way? Yes.

He's like, a DeMar DeRozan type. Is DeMar good? Absolutely. Is his skillset sometimes valuable? Yes it is. Has he improved over time? Of course. Is he ever going to stop shooting those midrangers and become a true 3pt threat with consistency, pairing that with his creation and facilitation to play team ball in a way that's conducive to winning at the highest level?

Well, DeRozan's 34 and hasn't figured it out yet, so I don't hold out much hope.

The Franchise
    I'm saying that he has shown an unwillingness to change his game other than to increase his own workload. Any changes he has made, he's reverted on for several seasons now.

Am I saying he's completely uncoachable? No. But am I saying that we've yet to find the coach who can persuade him to change in this particular way? Yes.

He's like, a DeMar DeRozan type. Is DeMar good? Absolutely. Is his skillset sometimes valuable? Yes it is. Has he improved over time? Of course. Is he ever going to stop shooting those midrangers and become a true 3pt threat with consistency, pairing that with his creation and facilitation to play team ball in a way that's conducive to winning at the highest level?

Well, DeRozan's 34 and hasn't figured it out yet, so I don't hold out much hope.
    Sounds fair. And I now understand your position.

Carmelo Anthony is a guy that modified his game, unfortunately he waited too late to do so. I'd prefer Ingram make the adjustments in NO, with Zion, and another fledgling all-star, but if it's not in the cards so be it. One of the ways we sort of disrupted his tendency to isolate was to play him at point when he was with the Lakers. Took him a minute, but he adjusted, and eventually started playing well. Until that changed and he was moved to SG, then SF.

He's been in the league long enough to understand what adjustments he should be making. So I'm not blaming Green entirely. Even still, If I were coach, he wouldn't be allowed to take that many contested mid-range fall aways. I'd also only give him 2 or 3 seconds to shoot, make a move, or pass. And make a move doesn't mean, make a move to shoot a highly contested shot.

Sadly, BI disappeared last night. However, that last play out of the final timeout was high schoolish at best. No ball movement at all. It was as if Willie assumed CJ was Lebron and that he could take on doubles and win. What a terrible call. All night, our offense had no flow. It was as if we have never played this team. I wish we had Zion as this would not have been close. Frustrated to see Nance get so much PT late as JV was dominating the boards especially offensive rebounds. Instead of bricking 5 relatively open looks in a row when we had a 2 point lead, he would have been there for a put back.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Because there was literally nobody else who can beat their defender.
    I agree here except the elephant in the room called Jonas. How does Willie not give Jonas a look there and at least get their defense in rotation?

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I agree here except the elephant in the room called Jonas. How does Willie not give Jonas a look there and at least get their defense in rotation?
    Doesn't seem to be the elephant for us. lol We all know JV belongs out there in the 4th. I can't understand why Green is unwilling to make adjustments.

In addition to his rebounding, Jonas provides a pressure release valve for the team. Rather than try and run multiple screens against tight perimeter defense, with Chett playing as a safety in the middle, Jonas allows us to throw it into the post, command a double and allow our shooters a possible open set shot.

Jonas should have been in the lineup every time Chett was on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    In addition to his rebounding, Jonas provides a pressure release valve for the team. Rather than try and run multiple screens against tight perimeter defense, with Chett playing as a safety in the middle, Jonas allows us to throw it into the post, command a double and allow our shooters a possible open set shot.

Jonas should have been in the lineup every time Chett was on the court.
    We can only hope this will happen in game 2.

Something I just learned: Trey led the NBA with the lowest TO% of the season.

It was the second lowest TO% of any player in the last 10 seasons (18-19 Langston Galloway the only one who turned it over less).

Special player.

Got to activate Hawkins, I do appreciate the energy Jose brings but we need the 20+ points Hawkins brings.

BI definitely didn?t have the best game and needs to pick it up, but Willie is easily the bigger problem here. Our final minutes of games are so bad.

Something I just learned: Trey led the NBA with the lowest TO% of the season.

It was the second lowest TO% of any player in the last 10 seasons (18-19 Langston Galloway the only one who turned it over less).

Special player.
    Trey is the reason that I?m perfectly fine with trading BI. Gives you just as much as BI on the defensive end and his defense has vastly improved over the last 3 years. His ceiling on defense vastly exceeds what BI can offer. Offensively, he is a much, much better fit with Zion. I wholeheartedly agree with those proposing a BI for Murray and Capela trade this offseason. Makes a ton of sense for both teams.

Thread Information