.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 141

Thread: 2024 Trade Season/Signings !

  1. #26
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,541
    Would you? Would we? Would they?


  2. #27
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    23,196
    No way in heck would I do that from the Pelicans perspective. Allen seems to be terribly overrated by some.

  3. #28
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    No way in heck would I do that from the Pelicans perspective. Allen seems to be terribly overrated by some.
    Maybe. But I think you could say the same about Trey. But I wouldn't do it either lolz. Let me see if I can find something closer.


    edit. How about this:

    Last edited by donato; 01-17-2024 at 05:57 PM.

  4. #29
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    23,196
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Maybe. But I think you could say the same about Trey. But I wouldn't do it either lolz. Let me see if I can find something closer.
    Not sure most GMs would agree with you. Trey has a talent that is highly sought after in the NBA. Allen was exposed in the playoffs last year. He is closer to a traditional center than most in the current NBA (although not as traditional as JV). Trey is 6'9" and aa couple of years young than Allen. I worry that Allen would be another overpriced center than clogs the lane on offense. He has no outside game.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    No way in heck would I do that from the Pelicans perspective. Allen seems to be terribly overrated by some.
    I'm so with you on this.

  6. #31
    I think the truly big decision the Pels face is whether they are going to pay Brandon a max deal or if it makes more sense to trade him and promote Trey to the starting line up and pay him instead...

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I think the truly big decision the Pels face is whether they are going to pay Brandon a max deal or if it makes more sense to trade him and promote Trey to the starting line up and pay him instead...
    I've said it before and said it again, I am truly terrified by BI's incoming contract, but I think the team brass has committed to it at this point.
    Basketball.

  8. #33
    THINK Contributor redrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Old Metairie
    Posts
    879
    I do not know how it would work, but I would love to see the Pels and Hawks come up with some kind of Ingram for DeJounte Murray trade.
    Murray fits better with Zion and Ingram should in theory complement Young.
    Picks and other players involved who knows, but swapping these 2 makes to much sense to me.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
    I think we got the lesser of the 2024 2nd rounders back in this trade. Between our 2nd rounder and Chicago's. If so, not bad considering this trade saved us 18 million.
    The better pick of ours or Chicago's goes to Boston and the worse goes to Pacers, unless another trade bringing second round pick back we are out. That's quite unfortunate since 2nd round picks are more team friendly than late first round and for this draft I don't see much gap talent wise between players projected in the late first or the second, especially if you consider that even the underclassman are likely to declare to avoid the 2025 draft which is projected as a strong one.
    Last edited by Blattman; 01-18-2024 at 04:25 AM.

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I do not know how it would work, but I would love to see the Pels and Hawks come up with some kind of Ingram for DeJounte Murray trade.
    Murray fits better with Zion and Ingram should in theory complement Young.
    Picks and other players involved who knows, but swapping these 2 makes to much sense to me.
    It's a big swing of a deal, but here you go...


    [I]This Trade is Successful!


    Atlanta Hawks Receive:


    B. Ingram$33,833,400 18.4
    SF 2 Years

    J. Robinson-Earl$1,900,000 12.7
    F 1 Year

    Acquiring 2 Players
    $35,733,400
    Hollinger's Analysis: -3 Wins
    With this trade you have decreased this team's projected wins by 3.


    New Orleans Pelicans Receive:

    D. Murray$18,214,000 16.8
    SG 5 Years

    O. Okongwu$8,109,063 16.3
    PF 5 Years

    Saddiq Bey$4,556,983 12.6
    SF 1 Year

    Acquiring 3 Players
    $30,880,046
    Hollinger's Analysis: +3 Wins

    With this trade you have increased this team's projected wins by 3.

  11. #36
    Random thought:

    Had we selected Jamal Murray over Hield in the 2016 draft, I think with this current team, we would be a championship team

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Random thought:

    Had we selected Jamal Murray over Hield in the 2016 draft, I think with this current team, we would be a championship team
    He would be traded to Sacramento anyway... my pick would be the 2020 draft, had we selected Maxey over Lewis with this current team..my oh my

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    He would be traded to Sacramento anyway... my pick would be the 2020 draft, had we selected Maxey over Lewis with this current team..my oh my
    In other words, it seems like we both are in agreement that this team needs another starting guard lol

  14. #39
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    He would be traded to Sacramento anyway... my pick would be the 2020 draft, had we selected Maxey over Lewis with this current team..my oh my
    It would've had some sort of domino effect (maybe better maybe worse), but Ranadiv? specifically wanted Hield. So I don't think he would've been traded to Sac.

  15. #40
    It?s pretty simple, if you look at every legitimate NBA championship caliber team in this league, you will see a top 10 top 15 superstar

    We don’t have one
    Last edited by WhyHornetsWhy; 01-21-2024 at 02:38 PM.

  16. #41
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    272
    Zion COULD be that star but the player im most bullish about is Hawkins.

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieHornet View Post
    Zion COULD be that star but the player im most bullish about is Hawkins.
    Hawkins has Reggie Miller/ Ray Allen potential. He is the last player I would trade on this team.

  18. #43

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Dodged that bullet. Yikes!

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    It?s pretty simple, if you look at every legitimate NBA championship caliber team in this league, you will see a top 10 top 15 superstar

    We don’t have one
    Eh, we got one.

    We just have zero interest in tailoring the team to him, so it downplays his impact and makes the team worse.

  21. #46
    I've said several times I'm ok with Pels taking data on the team this year when they are finally getting an extended look at the "Big 3" on the floor together.

    I think we are already seeing the issues with this roster, which were foreseeable even before this year.

    The question is, more or less, do you halt the study early deciding you've seen enough and try to swing a deal before the deadline to help our chances this year? Alternatively, do you play the string out this year and then make your corrections in the off season?

    I'm okay either way. I think it's a lot easier for armchair GMs like us to pull the trigger early and break some furniture. Harder when you actually have to make the move IRL. Agree that good organizations aren't afraid to get ahead of the curve. We've got a roadblock ahead as the NBA shifts away from the Big 3 model to a two max contract set up. I'd build around Zion and shooters, but you can understand, with Z's injury history, why they may be uneasy making that decision too early...

  22. #47
    RIP BDJ AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Eh, we got one.

    We just have zero interest in tailoring the team to him, so it downplays his impact and makes the team worse.
    You really believe that?
    Why would a team who has invested in "shooters" downplay his impact?

    Could it be he's just not that great like we all hoped?
    He's added very little to his game in 5 years.

  23. #48
    Looks like the Lakers are making a play for Dejounte Murray, but the Hawks have no interest in taking back D'Angelo Russell (and creating the same issue they had with an undersized back court when paired with Trae). I wouldn't mind a trade that sent CJ to Atlanta with Russell and one of the Atlanta centers coming back to NOLA (preferably Okongwu because that would give the Pels a future starter when Jonas's contract expires, but I would be OK with Capela also). Would obviously require a few ancillary players be thrown in to make it work and Hawks would probably require at least 2 first rounders (one from L.A. and one from the Pels), but I would seriously consider that.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You really believe that?
    Why would a team who has invested in "shooters" downplay his impact?

    Could it be he's just not that great like we all hoped?
    He's added very little to his game in 5 years.
    The best outcomes in terms of on court performance have come from Zion + shooters lineups. This has been true from SVGs time here onwards.

    We have shooters but only very recently have we started to actually play them with Zion.

    There was a time around 15 games after Trey returned where Zion was the single least played teammate Trey had on the team. It was at the point where Zion was being actively subbed out FOR Trey, they were almost never on court together. This was also during a time where Hawkins was not playing at all and spend a bit of time in the G League obviously. So that's this year.

    Last year, he missed a huge portion of it of course; the portion we did see was split into his time with BI, where he was often playing alongside only one shooter and didn't have the ball in his hands, and the other portion we saw for about 6 weeks that people sometimes call December Zion, after BI went down, where he was MVP level.

    He didn't play the year prior.

    So yes, of the last 3 years (keep in mind: he is still younger than both Trey and Herb) we have maximised his on court lineups to fit him for a total of probably about 9 weeks total. Sure, some of that is his fault for missing games (or rather, nobody's fault in some ways) but the reality is that for a number of reason we have very rarely actually had both Zion plus multiple dedicated shooters and him actually running offense in those lineups.

    That's what I mean by we are not tailoring the team to him. We have tried to split the difference between tailoring a team to him, and tailoring a team to BI, with the result that BI doesn't quite have a perfect lineup to support him and neither does Zion, and the pieces that do fit with each of them often haven't actually been part of the same lineups very often. It's a hodge-podge. Lots of talent, lots of injury problems making it hard for that talent to align, and poor lineup decisions making it even worse.

  25. #50
    RIP BDJ AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The best outcomes in terms of on court performance have come from Zion + shooters lineups. This has been true from SVGs time here onwards.

    We have shooters but only very recently have we started to actually play them with Zion.

    There was a time around 15 games after Trey returned where Zion was the single least played teammate Trey had on the team. It was at the point where Zion was being actively subbed out FOR Trey, they were almost never on court together. This was also during a time where Hawkins was not playing at all and spend a bit of time in the G League obviously. So that's this year.

    Last year, he missed a huge portion of it of course; the portion we did see was split into his time with BI, where he was often playing alongside only one shooter and didn't have the ball in his hands, and the other portion we saw for about 6 weeks that people sometimes call December Zion, after BI went down, where he was MVP level.

    He didn't play the year prior.

    So yes, of the last 3 years (keep in mind: he is still younger than both Trey and Herb) we have maximised his on court lineups to fit him for a total of probably about 9 weeks total. Sure, some of that is his fault for missing games (or rather, nobody's fault in some ways) but the reality is that for a number of reason we have very rarely actually had both Zion plus multiple dedicated shooters and him actually running offense in those lineups.

    That's what I mean by we are not tailoring the team to him. We have tried to split the difference between tailoring a team to him, and tailoring a team to BI, with the result that BI doesn't quite have a perfect lineup to support him and neither does Zion, and the pieces that do fit with each of them often haven't actually been part of the same lineups very often. It's a hodge-podge. Lots of talent, lots of injury problems making it hard for that talent to align, and poor lineup decisions making it even worse.
    Ok well lets see what happens today as they are now saying they will put in his hands.
    He will either show 'December Zion' for more than a month or still be the same player.

    Time will tell.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •