Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: December 21st - New Orleans Pelicans @ Cleveland Cavaliers - 16-12

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    maaaaybe. im not convinced but would be interested to see what happens with it
    The way I see it, Trey's about to get a $30m a year extension at the end of this season. You gotta find out just how far this ''he's unbelievably efficient'' thing goes.

In my view, Trey and Zion should basically share the court together for 75% of their minutes. Glue those boys together. They have good chemistry when they're both on court, it just rarely happens. See how far it takes you before you pay the guy $150m, not after.
    Basketball.

Pels are now 23-7 in Trey's career when he takes at least 8 3PAs.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The way I see it, Trey's about to get a $30m a year extension at the end of this season. You gotta find out just how far this ''he's unbelievably efficient'' thing goes.

In my view, Trey and Zion should basically share the court together for 75% of their minutes. Glue those boys together. They have good chemistry when they're both on court, it just rarely happens. See how far it takes you before you pay the guy $150m, not after.
    My issue with him in the starting lineup is there is only 1 basketball to go around. I want to see JV utilized more on offense, he is really good. Obviously BI, CJ, and Zion all need to get a lot of shots up. I want to see Trey featured more on offense but just not convinced having him on the floor with our 4 best offensive players is the recipe for him getting more shots up.

My issue with him in the starting lineup is there is only 1 basketball to go around. I want to see JV utilized more on offense, he is really good. Obviously BI, CJ, and Zion all need to get a lot of shots up. I want to see Trey featured more on offense but just not convinced having him on the floor with our 4 best offensive players is the recipe for him getting more shots up.
    JV's an expiring contract, unfortunately, and I don't know if we're going to be able to keep him. So in terms of the future of the team, as much as I want him to play and play well (because I agree, he is really good and ultra consistent) I think it's more important to find out exactly what you actually have in Trey.

And like I said, it's not necessarily about Trey himself, even, though I do think he would work well. It's about the cumulative effect his spacing has on others. If him starting makes Zion, BI, CJ, and JV all - let's pick a number - 20% better offensively each because of the space they gain to operate in and the options they have to pass to, then it's worth the slight drop in defense even if Trey himself isn't the one getting those shots. And I do think he'd get those shots, because both Zion and BI have shown that they are very very willing to pass it off to Trey to shoot. Zion/Trey DHO is one of the best instant-good-shot options this team has, and we barely run it.

There is only one basketball to go around, but both CJ and Trey can play very effectively off-ball so it's not like there would be arguments. Zion usually sits as the first sub after about 6 minutes anyway, so you bring Herb in then and suddenly there's more ball-handling for CJ and Trey to use up. Who starts doesn't dictate what else goes on, it's just making sure your first punch is as potent as it can be.

After watching the Aints this is some relief. Glad we won.

Notice how the other team waves the white flag once we establish consistency. It?s a psychological game as well as a physical one. You go through droughts, other teams get hopeful and give you problems. You take care of things offensively and they crumble. More of that

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Notice how the other team waves the white flag once we establish consistency. It?s a psychological game as well as a physical one. You go through droughts, other teams get hopeful and give you problems. You take care of things offensively and they crumble. More of that
    They also were missing their top 3 scorers, teams crumble easier like that

This roster construction has some vibes of 'one of these things doesn't belong' but sometimes it feels good... I really hope the egos get out of the way and the talent gets to shine and this team gels. Because the only thing that doesn't seem right is we have so much talent but don't play to our potential night in night out

Funny how things feel different when we play against G-League roster...

Next game is a real test. We already lost to Rockets in a typical Pels fashion. Lost double digit lead, a lot of turnovers.
    They are also still in contention for playoffs. They have a lot of players with questionable decision making, but unlike the Pels they have really good and strict/authoritarian coach.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrakar View Post
    Funny how things feel different when we play against G-League roster...

Next game is a real test. We already lost to Rockets in a typical Pels fashion. Lost double digit lead, a lot of turnovers.
    They are also still in contention for playoffs. They have a lot of players with questionable decision making, but unlike the Pels they have really good and strict/authoritarian coach.

Is it though? We should be at or near full strength depending on if players will be over this illness. Rockets will be playing on the road on the second night of a back to back. It's definitely a let-down if we come out of that game with a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Is it though? We should be at or near full strength depending on if players will be over this illness. Rockets will be playing on the road on the second night of a back to back. It's definitely a let-down if we come out of that game with a loss.
    See 12/19/23 Memphis game for context.

They also were missing their top 3 scorers, teams crumble easier like that
    My point stands even more. We didn’t put teams like Utah, Chicago, Memphis, etc. away and look what happened? We need to put these games to bed

Thread Information