Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: November 29th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Philadelphia 76ers - 9-9

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Until we learn how to close out teams, especially teams that are crippled...we will continue to be an "also ran".

We were outscored in the second half by 10 and yielded 114 points to Joel Embiid-less 76'er team. That's sorry!!!

Don't be fooled by the occasional steal; you play defense with your feet.

We are good for five to seven minutes a night of 'stupid' play.
    This is what you take away from tonight? No positives at all huh. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    We beat a very average team (no MVP) at home.

Last three games we are 1-2 against teams playing without their best player(s)...one team only winning four games this season, UNTIL US.

In those games we have given up an average of 111 points per game. This screams that we are struggling defensively.

Look, you can close your eyes to the warts on this team if you choose....rose-colored glasses will do that for the average supporter. On the other hand, I focus on the big picture...not the scoreboard...not a snapshot in time...not even, the team's record. This team is weak...weak...weak defensively. There is no getting around it.

I don't begrudge you your view, allow me mine. I will always call it AISI.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    We beat a very average team (no MVP) at home.

Last three games we are 1-2 against teams playing without their best player(s)...one team only winning four games this season, UNTIL US.

In those games we have given up an average of 111 points per game. This screams that we are struggling defensively.

Look, you can close your eyes to the warts on this team if you choose....rose-colored glasses will do that for the average supporter. On the other hand, I focus on the big picture...not the scoreboard...not a snapshot in time...not even, the team's record. This team is weak...weak...weak defensively. There is no getting around it.

I don't begrudge you your view, allow me mine. I will always call it AISI.
    On top of that, they don’t seem to show urgency in that area. This team has an incredible confidence for being one game over 500. Outside of Herb, the starters have no defense. That’s a tough situation. Even if you decide to start Dyson over CJ, they will still give up points because they can’t score. The best bet would be to hope that Dyson can learn to score and Hawk can learn to defend. The coaches need to be putting in a lot of work right now. Almost every Pels player has a blaring weakness that can be easily identified. I get some of it is not coachable, but the vast majority is. I still don’t get why they don’t run Dyson in the PNR, if he has that floater down. Instead, he's a spot up.

You do realize that he’s just doing an act right? For some reason he’s decided he’s going to be the anti Zion guy, and he plays the part consistently no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    You do realize that he’s just doing an act right? For some reason he’s decided he’s going to be the anti Zion guy, and he plays the part consistently no matter what.
    No act my friend. I call it AISI...even when 'glassman' was here.

Since YOU mentioned his name (not me): If you enjoy your one-dimensional 'superstar' playing on one side of the court and playing 'matador' defense on the other, good for you. He's extraordinarily lazy on defense. Defense requires work and effort...he seems adverse to those concepts. The coaches have started to recognize this by taking him out to close out quarters when we are on defense. I guess they are anti-#197, too. If you opened your eyes, you might see things as they are instead of how you want them to be.

I'm sure last night's game makes you feel good and hopeful....I see, yet, another month of losing basketball (6-7).

Where's PF? It seems he's nowhere to be found.
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-30-2023 at 10:23 AM.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    You do realize that he?s just doing an act right? For some reason he?s decided he?s going to be the anti Zion guy, and he plays the part consistently no matter what.
    An Insufferably Salty Insight: AISI

The act has gotten way too old here. People want to ********** after a win because we only won by 10. Some will ********** no matter what. They did not notice that the Sixers kept the starters in when down by 20. A star player plays well and they find something to complain about. It has gotten old and tired.

The 76'er Starters were a combined -80 (no one had a positive +/-). Two starters played less than 20 minutes...one less than 15.

The 76'er Reserves were a combined +30 (no one had a negative +/-). Two played more than 25 minutes.
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-30-2023 at 11:11 AM.

The 76'er Starters were a combined -80 (no one had a positive +/-). Two starters played less than 20 minutes...one less than 15.

The 76'er Reserves were a combined +30 (no one had a negative +/-). Two played more than 25 minutes.
    So you didn't watch the game? Those 2 minutes Korkmaz played and got a +6 were key.

Willie was probably hoping that he would not have to bring the starters back in, but Nurse had not thrown in the towel yet, to his credit.
    Last edited by PELICANSFAN; 11-30-2023 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So you didn't watch the game? Those 2 minutes Korkmaz played and got a +6 were key.

Willie was probably hoping that he would not have to bring the starters back in, but Nurse had not thrown in the towel yet, to his credit.
    Oh, I watched the game, for sure.

Help me out here, though, isn't Korkmaz (certainly not a starter) a guy averaging less than five minutes a game over the last month? Seems to me that if Nurse was playing Korkmaz, Nurse was throwing in the towel.

If I'm wrong. I stand corrected.
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-30-2023 at 12:51 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    This is great news!!!

Just came to post this.

Super looking forward to it. At some point we're going to play Zion with CJ, Hawkins, and Trey even if just for five minutes and the offense is going to hit like crack.
    Basketball.

Finally !!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post

I don’t think he was being negative just a realist. Why Willie takes his foot off the gas and goes into this prevent defense? I remember when Monty would do this in 3rd QTR years ago. Now Willie is doing it on 4th QTR. Come spring we might be wishing we had that Timberwolves victory at home that we blew a double digit lead earlier in the month.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I don’t think he was being negative just a realist. Why Willie takes his foot off the gas and goes into this prevent defense? I remember when Monty would do this in 3rd QTR years ago. Now Willie is doing it on 4th QTR. Come spring we might be wishing we had that Timberwolves victory at home that we blew a double digit lead earlier in the month.
    It is extremely normal to sit your starters and empty the bench when you're up 20+ halfway through the fourth quarter. Don't get me wrong, I have issues with Green and have been vocal about them but there was nothing unusual or stupid about that. Normally benches hold that lead because the other team typically conceded the game and rolls out their own bench at that point as well. It's not Greens fault that our bench threw it away, or that Nurse is the kind of guy who plays his starters killer minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Just came to post this.

Super looking forward to it. At some point we're going to play Zion with CJ, Hawkins, and Trey even if just for five minutes and the offense is going to hit like crack.
    I’m hoping that Willie doesn’t start to shelf Hawkins when Trey comes back. Willie hates defensive lapses and Hawkins has made some. Hopefully Willie will see the benefit of having two very good spot up shooters around Zion and BI.

Maybe if Zion promises to play no defense and Dyson promises to play no offense, the NBA will let us play 6 guys at a time to help out with the numbers crunch we're about to be hit with.

Finally, the Pels best player is back. Plenty of shooters now.

Love having Trey back. Let’s go on a winning streak now. Just win

Oh, I watched the game, for sure.

Help me out here, though, isn't Korkmaz (certainly not a starter) a guy averaging less than five minutes a game over the last month? Seems to me that if Nurse was playing Korkmaz, Nurse was throwing in the towel.

If I'm wrong. I stand corrected.
    Sure, those last 2 minutes of the game. He threw in the towel with just under 2 minutes.

Blew multiple double digit leads already. I always feel
    Like regret happens the last week of every season and that’s the topic of discussion.

Hoo you must be as exuberant as ever after hearing the Murphy news. Nothing more positive than that.

Basketball Guru

welcome back lol...its been a long time..

Thread Information