.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 116 of 116

Thread: November 29th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Philadelphia 76ers - 9-9

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Hoo you must be as exuberant as ever after hearing the Murphy news. Nothing more positive than that.
    There's plenty of stuff to critique and that we hope gets sorted out prior to all-star break (given that that's the ostensible final chance to make change if needed) but I think it's just a bit strange to be so negative right now.

    Yes, you can point to some games we should have won. Absolutely. But in terms of what's going well, think about it this way:

    - Ingram and Zion have now played more games together this year than in the previous 2 seasons combined. That's progress.
    - CJ has just returned and look in fine form, and his game is slotting in really well with both Zion and BI.
    - Herb has a real argument for DPOY and has made offensive strides.
    - Hawkins' shooting has translated well and Green is actually using him in high volume minutes.
    - JV is getting involved in the offense more than he ever has been in a Pels uniform over the last 5 or 6 games
    - Zion looks to be close to being in full MVP Zion mode again
    - Trey Murphy is returning tomorrow
    - We're 6-3 since 'The Meeting', 6-1 in games Zion has played.
    - We won the divison in the In Season Tournament and are off to the next round
    - Our Net Rating as a team has gone up so we're no longer bottom 10 in the NBA

    All of this has emerged over the last few weeks and though there are obviously downsides there's a lot to be optimistic about. Time will tell if it pays off but I think people are warranted a bit of happiness.
    Basketball.

  2. #102
    Basketball Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    4,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I?m hoping that Willie doesn?t start to shelf Hawkins when Trey comes back. Willie hates defensive lapses and Hawkins has made some. Hopefully Willie will see the benefit of having two very good spot up shooters around Zion and BI.
    i dont think willie will go that route with hawkins like he did as trey was a rookie.......imo hawkins is way far ahead of the game than trey was as a rookie....on offense, hawkins rebounds,, he move around and dont just stand and wait for the ball,,,he set screens then pop out behind the 3pt line so he can get the ball to shoot the 3....he is way more active on defense than trey was as a rookie....

    Willie would be out of his damn mind if he cut hawkins mins when trey come back....ryan is the one who will be shelf because of his defense but a good coach would find a way to put all of the firepower we have together in some type of rotation to have this train rolling....

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i dont think willie will go that route with hawkins like he did as trey was a rookie.......imo hawkins is way far ahead of the game than trey was as a rookie....on offense, hawkins rebounds,, he move around and dont just stand and wait for the ball,,,he set screens then pop out behind the 3pt line so he can get the ball to shoot the 3....he is way more active on defense than trey was as a rookie....

    Willie would be out of his damn mind if he cut hawkins mins when trey come back....ryan is the one who will be shelf because of his defense but a good coach would find a way to put all of the firepower we have together in some type of rotation to have this train rolling....
    I think it's going to be a bit of group sacrifice. We know in the regular season (and even a little in the playoffs, annoyingly) Green is happy to go deep into a bench. He doesn't play guys crazy minutes; he'll keep starters hovering around 30 if he can, even if it sometimes costs us a lead (again, annoyingly). So we're probably going 10 deep every game, at least.

    CJ-Herb-Zion-BI-JV
    Trey-Dyson-Hawkins-Zeller

    That's your top 9, and then you can basically just decide who you need at any one time between Ryan and Naji. Want to lean heavy into the offense? Play Ryan. Want to run a bigger lineup that's trying to play more defensively? Naji.

    And of course, there's always the potential for injury, which Pels fans cannot ignore. It's never far away; you'll notice I didn't list Nance in my rotation at all, and it's not because he's bad (though he has been recently). It's because he's injured again and out for at least a month.

  4. #104
    Basketball Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    4,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think it's going to be a bit of group sacrifice. We know in the regular season (and even a little in the playoffs, annoyingly) Green is happy to go deep into a bench. He doesn't play guys crazy minutes; he'll keep starters hovering around 30 if he can, even if it sometimes costs us a lead (again, annoyingly). So we're probably going 10 deep every game, at least.

    CJ-Herb-Zion-BI-JV
    Trey-Dyson-Hawkins-Zeller

    That's your top 9, and then you can basically just decide who you need at any one time between Ryan and Naji. Want to lean heavy into the offense? Play Ryan. Want to run a bigger lineup that's trying to play more defensively? Naji.

    And of course, there's always the potential for injury, which Pels fans cannot ignore. It's never far away; you'll notice I didn't list Nance in my rotation at all, and it's not because he's bad (though he has been recently). It's because he's injured again and out for at least a month.
    You left Jose out....I think Willie is moving from Dyson running the point as long as CJ and Jose is a available....it seems like that to me when he was playing Jose more in the 4th as a better ball handler, I believe...

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    You left Jose out....I think Willie is moving from Dyson running the point as long as CJ and Jose is a available....it seems like that to me when he was playing Jose more in the 4th as a better ball handler, I believe...
    I don't, personally, think Jose as he is currently playing gets minutes on this team right now. He's been great for us at times but there is simply a limit, in my mind, to who you can play. You don't bench the 6'7 shooter who is pulling 47% from deep on 5 a game for the 6'0 (probably not even that) guard who, right now, is not playing well at all.

    I love Jose, glad we paid him, want him on the team, and when we do the consolidation trade that I think must be coming, he's not who I want to send out. But it's hard to see a spot for him right now imo. I'm not playing him over Dyson, and the value of big wing shooters is such that I'm not playing him over Matt Ryan unless Ryan gives us a reason to stop playing him.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    You left Jose out....I think Willie is moving from Dyson running the point as long as CJ and Jose is a available....it seems like that to me when he was playing Jose more in the 4th as a better ball handler, I believe...
    I love Jose'...was the first to applaud his signing during free agency in '21, Definitely a keeper. But, IMO, the difference between Jose' and DD is as wide as the chasm that is the Grand Canyon.

    One is 6'0"....the other is 6'7"
    One can guard only one position defensively...the other can switch one thru four.
    One is 25 yo....the other is 20.
    One has for all intents and purposes has reached his ceiling...the other has tons of untapped potential.

    ....and none of this is written to discredit Jose' in any manner. Willie would be a fool to give the bulk of DD minutes to # 15.

  7. #107
    Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    There's plenty of stuff to critique and that we hope gets sorted out prior to all-star break (given that that's the ostensible final chance to make change if needed) but I think it's just a bit strange to be so negative right now.

    Yes, you can point to some games we should have won. Absolutely. But in terms of what's going well, think about it this way:

    - Ingram and Zion have now played more games together this year than in the previous 2 seasons combined. That's progress.
    - CJ has just returned and look in fine form, and his game is slotting in really well with both Zion and BI.
    - Herb has a real argument for DPOY and has made offensive strides.
    - Hawkins' shooting has translated well and Green is actually using him in high volume minutes.
    - JV is getting involved in the offense more than he ever has been in a Pels uniform over the last 5 or 6 games
    - Zion looks to be close to being in full MVP Zion mode again
    - Trey Murphy is returning tomorrow
    - We're 6-3 since 'The Meeting', 6-1 in games Zion has played.
    - We won the divison in the In Season Tournament and are off to the next round
    - Our Net Rating as a team has gone up so we're no longer bottom 10 in the NBA

    All of this has emerged over the last few weeks and though there are obviously downsides there's a lot to be optimistic about. Time will tell if it pays off but I think people are warranted a bit of happiness.
    I have no doubt began to feel like they are making improvements. The Jazz losses are kind of a bummer, but I think adding Trey is going to be huge. Team looks really good when they have available shooters. Matt Ryan is definitely important to this team as well.

  8. #108
    Basketball Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    4,071
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I love Jose'...was the first to applaud his signing during free agency in '21, Definitely a keeper. But, IMO, the difference between Jose' and DD is as wide as the chasm that is the Grand Canyon.

    One is 6'0"....the other is 6'7"
    One can guard only one position defensively...the other can switch one thru four.
    One is 25 yo....the other is 20.
    One has for all intents and purposes has reached his ceiling...the other has tons of untapped potential.

    ....and none of this is written to discredit Jose' in any manner. Willie would be a fool to give the bulk of DD minutes to # 15.
    I agree ..I'm only talking about handling the ball, running point and making decisions....I know Dyson will be playing his forward position but I'm only talking about Jose being the better ball handler and being able to handle defensive pressure bringing the ball up and keeping turnovers at a minimum and I think that's what Willie was doing....

    I just been noticing Jose handling the ball more in the 4th and Dyson on the bench until defense before CJ came back....CJ being back means that Dyson will be able to play forward and play defense being comfortable and not have the pressure of getting the ball to Ingram....

    I do think we will make a small trade in January to save money and think Jose and lewis will be gone ...

  9. #109
    Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2,005
    Spurs just took a really tough loss.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Spurs just took a really tough loss.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Spurs just took a really tough loss.
    ....and they scored 30+ points in every quarter. Shot 44% from three on volume (18-41)

    Tomorrow we better come out and pressure them baseline to baseline...their legs should be shot.

  12. #112
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,509
    Sochan with 33pts on 12-14 shooting. Had to do a double take.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Sochan with 33pts on 12-14 shooting. Had to do a double take.
    I actually liked the potential of his offensive game more than Dyson’s coming out of the draft. His offense seemed faster and more instinctual than Dyson’s, he just had an ugly jumper. I’m still glad we drafted Dyson, because his defense at the point of attack is really special. I just hope that Dyson’s offensive struggles don’t ruin his NBA career.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That would suck, I was looking forward to seeing him.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I actually liked the potential of his offensive game more than Dyson’s coming out of the draft. His offense seemed faster and more instinctual than Dyson’s, he just had an ugly jumper. I’m still glad we drafted Dyson, because his defense at the point of attack is really special. I just hope that Dyson’s offensive struggles don’t ruin his NBA career.
    Defense is the only constant a player can control; offense will come and go.

    In DD's case, don't worry, defense is at a premium in this league; he'll always have a job. If you can stop the other guy. you are always in the game.

    On the other hand, if you can't defend or are lazy in defensive execution, you are very, very beatable as we have witnessed firsthand for many years.

  16. #116
    Subtle, but appreciated.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •