Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Pelicans, Jordan Hawkins!

Draft Welcome to the Pelicans, Jordan Hawkins!

Basketball.

You know our shooting is bad when one of our own players rejoices when we draft a shooter.

My pre-draft notes on Hawkins.

Offensive usage: Awesome movement shooter, will be particularly good in screening action. Solid athlete, who can attack off the bounce with simple but solid footwork.

defensive usage: Can move over screens fairly well and helps in the paint pretty reliably. Hands are okay, but active. Competent team defender.

- Great shooting form and motion. Will be a real NBA shooter from day one, from c&s, off screens, off movement, et cetera, from NBA range.
    - Has a solid enough handle that he can attack poor closeouts, but isn't very advanced with it and footwork is simplistic.
    - Solid athlete who uses it to compensate for mediocre finishing at the rim; will want to see improvement.
    - Great FT shooter: picture perfect form.

He's a bit like Isaiah Joe from a few years ago, if anyone remembers him.

I had him in the 20s this draft. I'm not in love with the pick but it's more because of who is left on the board than Hawkins himself, he's fine and I think he will be a real NBA player.

Best three point shooter in the draft. Put him on the wing with Trey and let Zion penetrate. Rinse and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
    Best three point shooter in the draft. Put him on the wing with Trey and let Zion penetrate. Rinse and repeat.
    I think the team is really going to have to lean into this.

Between Hawkins, Trey, CJ, and Ingram, we have four guys who can really shoot it. Borrego's offense needs to push that - we need to be taking 35 3PAs a night.

I said this last week in response to a forum question by dae:

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I'm not Lottery interested in Gradey Dick...not athletic enough for lottery consideration for me (see Corey Kispert); only 19 YO.

To me Jordan Hawkins is Lottery-worthy....Can play on /off ball and consistently cashes in on the 3-ball and will fill up the box score (See Jordan Clarkson)
    I guess I will find out how right or wrong I am.
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-22-2023 at 08:54 PM.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    His off ball movement is pretty damn good. He gets into his shooting motion so fast that defenders don't have time to react.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think the team is really going to have to lean into this.

Between Hawkins, Trey, CJ, and Ingram, we have four guys who can really shoot it. Borrego's offense needs to push that - we need to be taking 35 3PAs a night.
    I wonder how big of a role Borrego had in this selection?

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    His off ball movement is pretty damn good. He gets into his shooting motion so fast that defenders don't have time to react.
    Best movement shooter in the class, hands down. Shot form is awesome. His shooting is for real.

I have some concerns about other stuff, whether it will translate, whether it will develop, so on, but no concerns about the shooting. He's gonna shoot.

I feel like this was going to be the pick even if Dick was still there.

Best movement shooter in the class, hands down. Shot form is awesome. His shooting is for real.

I have some concerns about other stuff, whether it will translate, whether it will develop, so on, but no concerns about the shooting. He's gonna shoot.
    He is gonna be coaching Fred Vinson on how to shoot

I wonder how big of a role Borrego had in this selection?
    No idea if he had any at all.

What I do know is that, however many minutes he gets, he needs to be taking 12 3PAs per 100 to maximise him.

Him and Trey both need to be getting up volume.

Hawkins is Angel Reese's cousin I see

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    You know our shooting is bad when one of our own players rejoices when we draft a shooter.
    �� that is hilarious

He is gonna be coaching Fred Vinson on how to shoot

https://twitter.com/tmetcalf11/statu...67268711956480

I think the thinking was we have plenty of defensive potential (Jones, Trey, Daniels) and it was time to go for pure production. I do hope he becomes serviceable on the defensive end because that is all he needs to be if his shooting translates on an NBA level. The search for the final rotation big man goes on.

My pre-draft notes on Hawkins.

Offensive usage: Awesome movement shooter, will be particularly good in screening action. Solid athlete, who can attack off the bounce with simple but solid footwork.

defensive usage: Can move over screens fairly well and helps in the paint pretty reliably. Hands are okay, but active. Competent team defender.

- Great shooting form and motion. Will be a real NBA shooter from day one, from c&s, off screens, off movement, et cetera, from NBA range.
    - Has a solid enough handle that he can attack poor closeouts, but isn't very advanced with it and footwork is simplistic.
    - Solid athlete who uses it to compensate for mediocre finishing at the rim; will want to see improvement.
    - Great FT shooter: picture perfect form.

He's a bit like Isaiah Joe from a few years ago, if anyone remembers him.

I had him in the 20s this draft. I'm not in love with the pick but it's more because of who is left on the board than Hawkins himself, he's fine and I think he will be a real NBA player.
    Playing a little devil's advocate on you but your notes sound like you like him more than your rankings. Like, I read your notes and I get excited about how solid he will be. In all fairness, you do keep pointing out that this is a deep draft, which explains the low rankings.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Playing a little devil's advocate on you but your notes sound like you like him more than your rankings. Like, I read your notes and I get excited about how solid he will be. In all fairness, you do keep pointing out that this is a deep draft, which explains the low rankings.
    I have the draft fairly flat between 18-30.

I like his skills. I just also have very serious questions. Luckily, we're a team that benefits from his skills and doesn't really need him to do much else - which is nice, in some ways. My issue with him at #14 is opportunity cost, not the guy himself.

To me, one of our biggest needs behind health is shooting, especially 3pt shooting. It looks like Hawkins will help there and right away.He's got a very quick release and is great off ball. Looks like he's a really good fit with Zion. Now lets get some rim protection

Thread Information