Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: General Offseason News

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Keyonte George's game compares to Eric Gordon/Bradley Beal and thats pretty good. the knock against him was his inneffieicncy, but Gordon shot the same % as a freshman, and at Baylor they were letting him take all sorts of difficult 3's.

If we are going to draft a guard id prefer him over nick smith, cason wallace, and jalen hood . I'd really like Dick but he will be gone imp
    George is more like CJ than he is Beal, imo. Much more floor-bound than Beal is, and relies more on core strength to get by guys whereas Beal is much more about movement and handle.

That, combined with the fact that the shot - though it seems promising - has yet to fall, he's not that elite defensively (he's okay, reasonably sound, but doesn't seem to be a real impact defender at the guard positions) and he has neither outlier speed or strength, makes it very easy to see where it might not work for him.

I see the Gordon comparison a little though.

I'd put George in the same mini-tier as Nick Smith, but I'd take Cason over Keyonte any day. Cason doesn't project to have the same shotmaking ceiling, but he's still respectable as a spot up guy, and is a legitimate elite level guard defender prospect. Cason also has the advantage of playing very sensibly; doesn't do things he can't do, which some might view as limiting but for a guy you don't anticipate to be a star, that's kind of what you want.
    Basketball.

Lillard basically saying ''you better move that pick for help or I'm out'' is pretty good news for us. If it means Portland is essentially pushed into trading #3, the demand for #2 might drop somewhat, meaning Charlotte might be able to charge less for #2.

Assuming this is true, and that Portland doesn't want to trade Lillard, and that there is legit competition between Scoot and Miller for #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    With you on Trayce, he actually reminds me a fair bit of Nance Jr in some ways.

Can I ask why you're lower than most on Cam? I like him overall.
    He big, twitchy, and uber athletic. Kinda like Zion.

Unlike Zion, and I mean very unlike Zion, he does not have the coordination, touch, or handle to go with it. Not very light on his feet.

I'm seeing a potential turnover and foul machine. Too much to use a top 8 pick on in this draft.

Bigger Isaac Okoro in terms of role on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    He big, twitchy, and uber athletic. Kinda like Zion.

Unlike Zion, and I mean very unlike Zion, he does not have the coordination, touch, or handle to go with it. Not very light on his feet.

I'm seeing a potential turnover and foul machine. Too much to use a top 8 pick on in this draft.

Bigger Isaac Okoro in terms of role on the court.
    I don't entirely disagree with the summary, but I would argue that there are other elements of his game that are intriguing and present paths for upside.

For one, strength is always a positive for players because it can help with finishing, defense, rebounding, etc, and Whitmore is pretty clearly a very strong guy - he's actually already a very capable rebounder and finisher as a result of that. You mention that he doesn't have good touch but I would disagree on that, he's not a super high finesse guy but shots go in at the rim. No circus shots but reliable common-sense shots.

Extreme hustle at times as well, which I like.

I think something that goes under-noticed for Whitmore is that he's one of the younger guys in the class; he'll still be 18 on draft night, for example, and won't turn 20 until after his rookie season; by comparison, some of the higher rated guys like Miller are already in their 20s. So in terms of development curve, he's at an earlier stage, so you have to see the potential as a factor in that sense.

I've got him 7th on my board, so I'm not all-in on him, but I'd take him over Brandon Miller for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    George is more like CJ than he is Beal, imo. Much more floor-bound than Beal is, and relies more on core strength to get by guys whereas Beal is much more about movement and handle.

That, combined with the fact that the shot - though it seems promising - has yet to fall, he's not that elite defensively (he's okay, reasonably sound, but doesn't seem to be a real impact defender at the guard positions) and he has neither outlier speed or strength, makes it very easy to see where it might not work for him.

I see the Gordon comparison a little though.

I'd put George in the same mini-tier as Nick Smith, but I'd take Cason over Keyonte any day. Cason doesn't project to have the same shotmaking ceiling, but he's still respectable as a spot up guy, and is a legitimate elite level guard defender prospect. Cason also has the advantage of playing very sensibly; doesn't do things he can't do, which some might view as limiting but for a guy you don't anticipate to be a star, that's kind of what you want.

well said. but the part where you compare him to CJ is disturbing to me. like 24 yr old cj or cj now?

I'd be interested if they are making these "what would it take" calls to move up 4/5 spots to get Taylor Hendricks.

Assuming he doesnt go higher than consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    well said. but the part where you compare him to CJ is disturbing to me. like 24 yr old cj or cj now?
    I just mean in terms of playstyle, not speed or anything like that. Prime CJ as a finesse finisher who uses craft below the rim to finish rather than vertical athleticism.

I'd be interested if they are making these "what would it take" calls to move up 4/5 spots to get Taylor Hendricks.

It's an interesting prospect. I have Hendricks about 6th on my board - someone whose draft takes I respect a lot described him as ''chaotic good Jonathan Isaac'' which I like as a phrase. Really hard to envision someone who better fits the modern ''forward who shoots and blocks shots'' archetype in this draft.

I was considering on posting the same thing. I cannot figure out why Jarace Walker is rated higher than him by so many.

Truth be told, I'd like Grady Dick the most. But thats just me cause i covet having the best shooter on the floor... a real sniper.. and he may become the closest thing. when we had Peja he was kinda washed up; regardlessly, he could miss 20 in a row and still demand the defense's respect; hence, widening it for paul

Beal to Phoenix confirmed

Will just add, the time to make a Scoot move with Charlotte - if you're serious about doing so - is now.

If Portland move Lillard, #3 is staying in Oregon, and with that off the table the price of #2 goes up. It'll cost you even more.

If you're serious about #2, gotta be now.

Folks making moves

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    The Suns are going nowhere. They tanked their depth with the KD trade. KD is always going to have an injury at the end of the season, and they have nothing after their top 4 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    The Suns are going nowhere. They tanked their depth with the KD trade. KD is always going to have an injury at the end of the season, and they have nothing after their top 4 guys.
    Their depth is practically the same as it was prior to this move, and that team got home court in the playoffs. The only players it cost them was CP3 (who they often don't have in the playoffs anyway, due to injury) and Landry Shamet, who they didn't play much because he's bad.

And they still have the potential of moving Ayton to round out the roster - shift one big that you've got documented problems with, and get two functional players back.

They're not going to stay together long as a team, because of age, contracts, etc, but next season they'll be better than they were last.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-18-2023 at 06:03 PM.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    The KD trade was much worse than this trade. This was a great move, but the KD trade destroyed what was a really solid core with younger and cheaper players. The new owner has no idea what team building is. He is playing NBA2K as a little rich boy, which doesn't work in real life because you can't turn off the sliders for fatigue and injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    The KD trade was much worse than this trade. This was a great move, but the KD trade destroyed what was a really solid core with younger and cheaper players. The new owner has no idea what team building is. He is playing NBA2K as a little rich boy, which doesn't work in real life because you can't turn off the sliders for fatigue and injuries.
    Yeah, I agree with the latter part - I don't think this team wins a chip because of both injury risk and because I think their core is going to be hilariously exploitable defensively in the post-season, but the general point about them having a route to add depth still stands imo. Not a huge amount of depth, but enough to give them a reasonable top 6.

I hope there's some truth to this.

Remember, in the NBA almost nothing is untouchable, and when you're a team that's won 2 playoff games in 4 years, anyone can be moved for the right price.

That's true for Zion, Ingram, Trey, anyone.

Some players are more likely to move than others (can't imagine Jose is on the hotseat for something 'seismic' lmao) but something's got to happen. Standing pat, especially with the changes going on in the league right now, is a road to mediocrity for years to come.

Either gotta go all in to win now - which means cashing in all the assets we have left for high value players - or you have to do a mini-reset on the timeline. Threading the needle isn't an option.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Bill Simmons clip

Not saying that a Zion move isn't coming (See my above point about anyone being up for grabs for the right price) but I put absolutely no stock in Bill ''I still think Tom Benson owns the Pelicans'' Simmons and his Pelicans 'sources'.

Cmn, Cp3, come back home, we need someone with brain, we need you badly.

Agree Bill is an idiot, but it's interesting for sure.

Thread Information