Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: General Offseason News

Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap-6-9-2023-3-52-35-PM

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Grizzlies trying to sign CP3. Really really dont want that to happen I think it would be great for them.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Grizzlies trying to sign CP3. Really really dont want that to happen I think it would be great for them.
    I feel like there are a lot of teams that could benefit greatly from CP3, even at his age.

Milwaukee, would be another one. Would be remiss of these teams not to call at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I know it's a bit early, while the Finals are still on, but it's our off-season by this point, and THIS just dropped so, uh

Offseason news!

Rev up that ''bring CP3 Back to NOLA'' engine
    All Day - every Day - sign Me In! Bring back Cp3 to NOLA!

EJ moving well, I was optimistic for him rookie season so I'm hoping he can come back and show why that optimism was there in the first place.

If he's still anything like he was at college post-injury and it even mostly translates, he's going to fix a lot of the issues we have with this team.

Just a reminder of Liddell's final year at college (3 year player):

19pts, 8rbs, 2.5asts per game with 2.6blks and 0.6stls.

Shot 49/37/77 - 59.8%TS for a big/forward who was taking 4 threes a game.

3pt percentage increased every year he was in college, as did the volume.

+11.8 BPM is absolutely excellent and was 3rd in the Big Ten that year - 8th in the NCAA overall.

8.5%BLK and 17%AST are really good numbers, but also kind of strange to have in one player - especially when that player is 6'7. It's a weird profile but it's very cool.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-11-2023 at 03:24 PM.

Here we go

Transcript for anyone who can't/won't watch the Shams clip:

Shams says:

''The Pelicans are expected to aggressively a top pick, potentially 2 or 3, in this upcoming NBA draft, with their eyes set on Scoot Henderson, sources tell me.''

Wise move, imo.

He then talks about how Scoot worked out in Charlotte on Sunday.

''The Pelicans are among teams seriously pursuing that #2 overall pick.''

I think this is nothing more than normal draft time drama. There is always some team that is rumored to be trying to get to #1 or #2 in the draft. I guess it is us this year. Only thing we have to get that high would be BI or Zion and multiple picks. Not sure if Scoot is that much of a sure thing to warrant that kind of trade.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I think this is nothing more than normal draft time drama. There is always some team that is rumored to be trying to get to #1 or #2 in the draft. I guess it is us this year. Only thing we have to get that high would be BI or Zion and multiple picks. Not sure if Scoot is that much of a sure thing to warrant that kind of trade.
    I'm sure it is just draft time, but we are a team that usually makes draft trades so it wouldn't surprise anyone. Besides, it fits a lot of the discussions we've had going on lately so why not feed the drama, and there's probably some reason why Shams' sources are naming Pelicans rather than some other team - even if that reason is just that Griff's the guy who called most recently.

I will say, if we move up to #3 instead of #2 and then Scoot goes to Charlotte, I will be very fearful.

Not because there are no good options at #3, there are tons.

But because I will fear that one of those hyped-but-not-actually-that-great-in-comparison-to-who-is-available guys will get picked.

If the Pelicans do pursue one of those spots, BI aint the one they're trading.

Meanwhile in the real actual world...

Everyone knew FVV would, no reason for him to accept that.

I'm sure it is just draft time, but we are a team that usually makes draft trades so it wouldn't surprise anyone. Besides, it fits a lot of the discussions we've had going on lately so why not feed the drama, and there's probably some reason why Shams' sources are naming Pelicans rather than some other team - even if that reason is just that Griff's the guy who called most recently.
    Or it could be that Shams is just throwing out a team name based on Griffin's propensity to trade, articles written by our local bloggers about how the team cannot keep the big 3 together and the need for drama.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Or it could be that Shams is just throwing out a team name based on Griffin's propensity to trade, articles written by our local bloggers about how the team cannot keep the big 3 together and the need for drama.
    Potentially, I'm not saying there's no editorialising of it - there almost certainly is.

But if all the local guys are talking about the Pels potentially making a trade up, and then Shams hears it and believes it to be credible enough to be worth reporting (even briefly) and we already KNOW that Griff has that same propensity to trade that you mentioned, why would you be so quick to assume that it is just drama?

In pointing out reasons that we should completely dismiss it as drama, you're listing reasons that it might be somewhat plausible. I'm not telling anyone that we are definitely going to make a trade because even if Griff wants to make that move, it's not up to him: most trades that teams ''aggressively pursue'' end up going nowhere. I'm just saying it's a plausible event that might potentially happen, and it's intriguing to see that being discussed openly as a possibility.

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Another factor to look at is how much young promising talent we have on the team (Dyson, Trey, Jose, Herb, etc) and how many picks we have coming up for future drafts (ours, Bucks, Lakers). At some point we'll have more talent than minutes to give or even assistant coaches to give special attention to at practicr. It's smart money to consolidate a lot of that potential together to go after one elite vet or potentially elite draft talent.

Like Dae pointed out, though. We've probably tried before. It takes two to tango.
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Another factor to look at is how much young promising talent we have on the team (Dyson, Trey, Jose, Herb, etc) and how many picks we have coming up for future drafts (ours, Bucks, Lakers). At some point we'll have more talent than minutes to give or even assistant coaches to give special attention to at practicr. It's smart money to consolidate a lot of that potential together to go after one elite vet or potentially elite draft talent.

Like Dae pointed out, though. We've probably tried before. It takes two to tango.
    I actually think we should be fairly careful with handing out draft picks at this point. The changes to the CBA are such that the ability to locate cheap talent incoming is going to become even more important than it used to be, and we have basically nothing in the second round for the next 5+ years because of how many of them we've given away recently (including for the most important of all players: cash considerations).

Trading a single big salary name to bring in a cost controlled prospect that you believe in - it's a risky prospect because, of course, if they don't live up to your hopes and dreams you're potentially in a worse spot than you started with, but the reward if they do pan out is huge because you get someone who is vastly outperforming their contract right as the new CBA comes in.

I mean it’s at least an interesting hypothetical: would you trade Brandon or Zion as a central piece in a deal to get the #2 pick from the Hornets?

Both guys are locked in on their deals, both would be great next to Ball and both are Carolina kids. If it’s true that Charlotte already favors Miller over Scoot in the draft, wouldn’t you rather have BI or Zion, two guys you know can play at an All Star level. Sure you have to factor in injuries but both those guys objectively have a higher ceiling than Miller and weren’t involved in a murder investigation.

We’d have to take back a contract, but would you (essentially) trade away Zion or Brandon for Scoot?

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I mean it’s at least an interesting hypothetical: would you trade Brandon or Zion as a central piece in a deal to get the #2 pick from the Hornets?

Both guys are locked in on their deals, both would be great next to Ball and both are Carolina kids. If it’s true that Charlotte already favors Miller over Scoot in the draft, wouldn’t you rather have BI or Zion, two guys you know can play at an All Star level. Sure you have to factor in injuries but both those guys objectively have a higher ceiling than Miller and weren’t involved in a murder investigation.

We’d have to take back a contract, but would you (essentially) trade away Zion or Brandon for Scoot?
    I'd trade Ingram, but not Zion.

That's not to say I would never trade Zion, I would. Just not for this deal.

I could give the long breakdown of why I would trade Ingram but not Zion with all the contract stuff included and such, if you want it, but the extremely oversimplified version is that I think a healthy Zion makes this team a contender but a healthy Ingram doesn't.

I have zero real understanding of why some people have Miller as high as 2. I have him at #9 on my personal big board and I think that's very reasonable - a little higher I could see but the idea of putting him above Scoot and Amen is incomprehensible to my eyes, never seen a good explanation for it.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Trade anyone not named Trey and Herb for Scoot
    I'm ready for some fresh perspectives.

Ingram and Zion only ever get traded in 2k. you dont trade happy/injured stars with multiple years on their contracts with this front office's MO.

i'd assume NO is seeing how far Trey, 14, Lakers first, Dyson/Herb can get them.

For scoot it's pretty worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Ingram and Zion only ever get traded in 2k. you dont trade happy/injured stars with multiple years on their contracts with this front office's MO.

i'd assume NO is seeing how far Trey, 14, Lakers first, Dyson/Herb can get them.

For scoot it's pretty worth it.
    You're not getting Scoot without BI or Zion. It's that simple.

If you're fine with that, then that's cool. But I'm as confident on that as I can be on any hypothetical.

Congrats to Nuggets organisation and their fans for becoming the 2023 NBA Champions.

Jokic is an all time great. Center is probably the hardest position, historically, to stake a claim on - Wilt, Russell, Shaq, Hakeem, Malone, Kareem, all already having real estate solidified in the C HoF, but Jokic is undeniable. All time great.

You're not getting Scoot without BI or Zion. It's that simple.

If you're fine with that, then that's cool. But I'm as confident on that as I can be on any hypothetical.
    I'm not talking about value here. "NO is interested in trying to trade for Scoot Henderson" != "NO is willing to offer what it actually takes to get Scoot Henderson."

I'd respect the guts to trade Ingram for an unproven prospect with higher upside, but I don't expect it to happen, or even be offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I'm not talking about value here. "NO is interested in trying to trade for Scoot Henderson" != "NO is willing to offer what it actually takes to get Scoot Henderson."

I'd respect the guts to trade Ingram for an unproven prospect with higher upside, but I don't expect it to happen, or even be offered.
    I don't expect anything to happen either.

Blockbuster trades are, by their very nature, extremely rare and whenever one comes up we all have to talk about it knowing full well that it's probably not going to happen.

Still fun to discuss though.

Thread Information