Basketball.

Orlando waived Bol Bol

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Orlando waived Bol Bol
    I'd take a flier on a 1 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Same. When we are getting blown out by the Oklahoma City Thunder, he would be a fun reason to keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    It might be a good idea... if Zion agrees to share half of his every meal with Bol Bol.

2 birds, 1 stone.
    Last edited by LAL1947; 07-04-2023 at 10:48 PM.

It had to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    It had to be done.
    Hope they do not sign him back at minimum to take a spot on the bench. I would prefer they just convert him to Willie's staff. He offers nothing on the court.

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Guess we're not all in for the championship.
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Really just a ridiculous add by the NBA. Clearly just a money grab.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Really just a ridiculous add by the NBA. Clearly just a money grab.
    They want another avenue for sports betting so yeah. It may be fun at least. There has to be an incentive though for me. Such as an automatic tie breaker or spot in the playoffs if you win. That would REALLY make it interesting

I am curious to see how the NBA handles the schedule during and after the mid-season tourney. If the other 22 teams play their usual regular season schedule but the tourney-qualifying teams’ quarterfinal and semifinal games count towards their regular season games, there is going to have to be some serious schedule juggling by the league since it won’t be known who is participating in those games until late November/early December.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    I am curious to see how the NBA handles the schedule during and after the mid-season tourney. If the other 22 teams play their usual regular season schedule but the tourney-qualifying teams’ quarterfinal and semifinal games count towards their regular season games, there is going to have to be some serious schedule juggling by the league since it won’t be known who is participating in those games until late November/early December.
    There will be 2 teams that play 83 games and the rest will remain at 82.

Only that final tournament game's stats will count toward the regular season.

Nance - answers and questions both roughly paraphrased. Mostly accurate but there will be a few things here and there that aren't exact. Skipping all the questions he's asked about the Lakers.

On the report that Zion doesn't work on his game:

He is... we've never seen anything like him, and I think everyone can agree with that. THose 1 of 1s do things differently than everyone else. Kevin durant does not train how everyone else trains. We've seen there are 1 of 1s, and for Z, it often takes a little while to learn how to do that. How do you train someone who is 6'6, but moves like a wrecking ball?
    I don't know. I think a lot of the answer is that the trainers don't know either and it takes time to learn. He's in a space now where, talking to him, seeing him out here, and obviously we've heard chatter, but I think he's re-focused and he's. . . If I were allowed to bet, I would bet he is going to have a monster year.
    Is he working on the 'skill' elements of his game, is that accurate?

That's very accurate. The man's touch is probably the best in the NBA. It's insane. He's working on his 3s, his jumpers, his midrange. But with all that being said, when he plays - and we know the health is the issue - but when he plays, the man is a certified monster. So he is working on that stuff, but even if he wasn't you still can't stop him.
    I wouldn't trade him because I'd be so scared that he would figure out the health issues and I'd have to live with that for the rest of my life. Thoughts?

I agree. He's, I often think I might want to get into front office work when I'm done. I think I've got a good mind and understanding of how the league works, but I put on my GM hat sometimes and I look and it's like. . . we were torching the league last year. I mean there was nothing people could do. First in the West and our margin of victory was very large. And it was him. We didn't even really have BI on the court. It was just this guy that was, like I said, just wrecking balling through teams defenses. Taking over games in the 4th quarter. And he hasn't really had a lot of NBA experience, so if he can figure out all this stuff, you've got a top 5 player at 23 years old. Already. How do you. . . I don't know what you do with that.
    He's got to figure out his defense though, right?

They all do. There's like 3 guys in the NBA that score over 20 a game that play defense. Really? I'm exaggerating a little but it's like, if you are that on offense, let us shoulder some of the burden on defense. We got you. That's what I'm out there for.
    In Zion's appearance on the Gilbert Arenas show, he talked pretty candidly about his diet. Is he eating with the team, and eating reasonably? Are people in his business like that?

CJ and I do. As the vets on the team, we take them to dinner and we talk about how hard it is to make it in the league it's that much harder to stay. The example I use is, in NBA terms, my man's got a Lamborghini. That's his body. Me? I'm happy in my body, but I'm in my KIA. In terms of NBA bodies. You've had your monster dunks though Sure but i you toss me the ball on offense I'm going to set up a pick and ballscreen, I'm not breaking people down and averaging 27. I don't think I've scored 27 in a game. So I'm in my KIA. I can put regular gas in my car every now and again and nothing's going to happen. You do that to a Lamborghini and it will not run for you. There are certain things you watch guys do that you can't do. Just like we watch you against Minnesota score our final 13 points and win us that game. I can work out as long as I want and that ain't happening. So with the gifts you get, you have to sacrifice some - and he's receptive to it. He's been incredible and the strides he's made since I've known him have been remarkable, truly, but we haven't seen it yet on a court. I would bet this year, like I said, I know we're in Vegas so if I'm betting, I'm betting on that kid.
    Conversations often steer toward Trey Murphy because a lot of people think he might have 20ppg potential. I've heard people say he could be a star. Tell me about him.

First of all, I can't stand Trey. We don't get along. You can tell him I said it. But I tend to be in the camp of people who say he can be a star. I've seen a lot of it. Brandon when he was young, Randle when he was young, I was in Cleveland when they drafted Garland, I've seen impressive talent. The kind of person/ethic that leads to being a star. Trey has the same ability. His intangibles and physical attributes are off the wall, he's a full blown 6'9 - he's big man - but his ethic is where it shines through. Him and Corey Brewer and T Spoon, they made leaps and bounds with his game and he's pushing for more. I don't think we're talking role player, we're talking potential 2nd or 3rd best player on a contending team.
    I'm not saying they would do this, but I've heard that if the Pelicans put Trey into trade talks they could get into mega-name territory.

They talk about Nance's history moving from team to team, whether he wanted to stay in Cleveland, etc.

I think New Orleans, like I said, I'm betting on Z and I'm betting on us too.
    BI, CJ, and Zion have barely played together. It's baffling. You haven't had your team at all.

Objectively, the talent in the locker room is so high. We haven't even mentioned Herb Yes, and I - you know - I'm so happy for him. That money for him? That's going to buy so much land in Alabama for him to fish in. He works so hard and he's a great dude. He's the man. But out locker room. Jose, Naji, Kira, we just drafted Hawkins, EJ just got healthy. Shoot, dyson looks great. Jose and Naji raise the level of our practice 3 notches because of how hard they play, that's what you get from them.
    What's it like guarding JV in practice?

For the second part of my career I've played a lot of C and, look, I'm about 6'7. Cat's out of the bag, I'm not that big. JV just puts that shoulder into you - Sabonis is the worst, he's so physical - it's the Lithuanians. When they play each other I just sit there like 'I am so happy I'm not out there right now'. Let Keegan Murray slide to the 5 so I can deal with that.
    Other notes:

Nance played Warhammer in college.
    Roy Hibbert was 'his' vet when he came into the league.

And this is why you accept that paying Trey $30m a year isnt' a huge deal. Stuff like this is on the horizon for even borderline stars.

2x allstar, 1x All NBA gets you $60m a year.

And this is why you accept that paying Trey $30m a year isnt' a huge deal. Stuff like this is on the horizon for even borderline stars.

2x allstar, 1x All NBA gets you $60m a year.
    This is why I hope the Pels are able to convince BI to take the 3 year $145 million extension he is eligible for now.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    This is why I hope the Pels are able to convince BI to take the 3 year $145 million extension he is eligible for now.
    And it's also exactly why he won't, imo.

Especially cause if he puts it off until the end of his Pels contract, he's eligible for that 10 year. Lots and lots of money.

It's also exactly why I - and many others - were worried about keeping the team as is, this year. Not much time before a contract the size of Mars lands on us.

And it's also exactly why he won't, imo.

Especially cause if he puts it off until the end of his Pels contract, he's eligible for that 10 year. Lots and lots of money.
    Unfortunately, I agree.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...up-puerto-rico

New Orleans Pelicans guard Jose Alvarado will not participate for Puerto Rico in the upcoming FIBA World Cup next month, it was announced Thursday.
    Puerto Rico released its roster for the World Cup and Alvarado wasn't listed. The national team said the Pelicans didn't allow Alvarado to participate because of the stress reaction he had in his tibia that cost him the end of the 2022-23 regular season.
    Former NBA guard Carlos Arroyo, who serves as the general manager for the Puerto Rican national team, said an MRI performed last week revealed that the injury hasn't fully healed.

Why not. This place is beyond dead.

On Friday Night, Team USA lost two B Team

BI: #7 in Blue
    Herb: #38 in Gray
    3M3: #45 in Gray

IMO Best Performance was by Cade Cunningham; he totally outplayed Brunson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D4FcD3DDxA

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    On Friday Night, Team USA lost two B Team

BI: #7 in Blue
    Herb: #38 in Gray
    3M3: #45 in Gray

IMO Best Performance was by Cade Cunningham; he totally outplayed Brunson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D4FcD3DDxA
    Jalen Duren looked great, too

Thread Information