Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: General Offseason News

Throwing this out there for discussion. Would you trade CJ McCullum and a 1st for James Harden? Not that it?s a real possibility but would you do the deal at face value?

I say yes, because he is a better PG than CJ and we have a free reevaluation in 1 year which could be nice if we have another mediocre season.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 07-01-2023 at 06:21 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Throwing this out there for discussion. Would you trade CJ McCullum and a 1st for James Harden? Not that it?s a real possibility but would you do the deal at face value?

I say yes, because he is a better PG than CJ and we have a free reevaluation in 1 year which could be nice if we have another mediocre season.
    People always complain about CJ on defense. This would be a step back. Plus Harden seems to be falling off a cliff. Plus he is not a great leader in the conditioning department not sure he is the vet you want around Zion. I stick with CJ for on the court and off the court reasons, and keep the first rounder too because we need rookie contracts.

People really need to just calm down on CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    People really need to just calm down on CJ.
    The way last season ended intensified all of the negatives in his game and because he was injured, very few of the positives shone through. Combine that with him coming across kinda badly in terms of his public image over the last 6 months or so, it's no surprise that the atmosphere around him is fairly negative. Add to that the fact he's our most obviously tradeable large contract, it gets even more intense.

If we can remain somewhat healthy this season and he can go back to being the 3rd option who isn't acting as a #1 ball handler, the conversation around him will brighten up, I think.
    Basketball.

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    I've never liked Harden. One of those guys like Westbrook and Ja who will pile up stats and look amazing individually but never make the team better and especially so when it counts. A lot like AI. The funny thing is that I LOVED AI.

If the scenario was I had to choose between Harden or CJ on this team, I'm going CJ all day, every day. Even without the 1st. love CJ's fit on this team and think he'll be around a bit longer.
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I've never liked Harden. One of those guys like Westbrook and Ja who will pile up stats and look amazing individually but never make the team better and especially so when it counts. A lot like AI. The funny thing is that I LOVED AI.
    AI made his teams better, though. Not all of them, and obviously the end of his career was a disaster, but is anyone else in the NBA getting that Sixers team to the Finals that year? That was a near-Lebron '07 carry job.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    This is an updated Summer League roster for Pelicans: https://clutchpoints.com/nba-summer-...osters-tracker

New Orleans Pelicans
    Dyson Daniels ? New Orleans Pelicans [Pick No. 8 in 2022 NBA Draft]
    Jordan Hawkins ? UConn [Pick No. 14 in 2023 NBA Draft]
    Kamaka Hepa ? Hawaii
    Tevian Jones ? Southern Utah
    E.J. Liddell ? New Orleans Pelicans Two-Way Contract [Pick No. 41 in 2022 NBA Draft]
    Karlo Matkovic ? Cedevita Olimpija (Slovenia) [Pick No. 52 in 2022 NBA Draft]
    Landers Nolley II ? Cincinnati
    Liam Robbins ? Vanderbilt
    Dereon Seabron ? New Orleans Pelicans Two-Way Contract

Because rosters of other teams seemed incomplete, with less than 10 players in some cases, I am guessing this will be revised as the games get started next week. A new name on this list is Kamaka Hepa, from the University of Hawaii.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1674480908571664384
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1339383932224233472
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1674281528040525825
    I thought I would just stick this in here..... have a feeling that Hawkins won't disappoint....very much looking forward to seeing EJ, Karlo, and Nolley play...but, I sense that Robbins just might be a huge "steal" once we see him healthy again.....fwiw, I saw an interview with him and he really has it between the ears....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Trying to get myself hyped for SL but NAW ruined it for me a bit. That guy would light up the league and look like he was about to really ascend to the next level....then the regular season started and NAW went back to Nah.

Ok nevermind. I'm still hyped. I really want to see EJ.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/schedule

PELICANS 2023 SUMMER LEAGUE SCHEDULE

Date Event Time (Central) Television Location
    • Friday, July 7 Game #1 vs. Timberwolves 3:30 p.m. NBA TV COX Pavilion
    • Sunday, July 9 Game #2 vs. Warriors 9:00 p.m. ESPN2 Thomas & Mack
    • Tuesday, July 11 Game #3 vs. Suns 7:00 p.m. ESPN2 COX Pavilion
    • Thursday, July 13 Game #4 vs. Hornets 6:30 p.m. NBA TV COX Pavilion
    • July 15 or July 16 Game #5 TBD TBD TBD
    Last edited by ragincaucasian; 07-03-2023 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I thought I would just stick this in here..... have a feeling that Hawkins won't disappoint....very much looking forward to seeing EJ, Karlo, and Nolley play...but, I sense that Robbins just might be a huge "steal" once we see him healthy again.....fwiw, I saw an interview with him and he really has it between the ears....

I'm in total agreement. When the coaches vote someone as DOP defensive player of the year and 1st team ALL-SEC- it has to mean something.

in 23 minutes a game he still averaged 3 blocks + he averaged 36.5% from 3 = exactly what we need

Kamaka Hepa to dominate the summer league for the pels
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 07-03-2023 at 07:48 PM.

New Orleans Pelicans
    (0) Dereon Seabron – New Orleans Pelicans Two-Way Contract
    (11) Dyson Daniels – New Orleans Pelicans [Pick No. 8 in 2022 NBA Draft]
    (12) Karlo Matkovic – Cedevita Olimpija (Slovenia) [Pick No. 52 in 2022 NBA Draft]
    (18) Jalen Crutcher – Greensboro Swarm (NBA G League)
    (21) Izaiah Brockington – Birmingham Squadron (NBA G League)
    (24) Jordan Hawkins – UConn [Pick No. 14 in 2023 NBA Draft]
    (29) Frank Bartley IV – Pallacanestro Trieste (Italy)
    (30) Tevian Jones – Southern Utah
    (32) E.J. Liddell – New Orleans Pelicans Two-Way Contract [Pick No. 41 in 2022 NBA Draft]
    (34) Landers Nolley II – Cincinnati
    (36) Garrison Brooks – Westchester Knicks (NBA G League)
    (43) Kamaka Hepa – Hawaii
    (55) Liam Robbins – Vanderbilt

This is the updated roster for the Summer League.

Brooks is a forward from Meridian, Mississippi, and started at North Carolina before transferring to Mississippi State. Crutcher is a guard who played at Dayton. Brockington played for the Pelicans last summer. Bartley IV is a 29-year-old guard who played at BYU, before transferring to be a Ragin Cajun. Those are the new additions. Of the bunch, I like Brockington and Crutcher.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    I'm in total agreement. When the coaches vote someone as DOP defensive player of the year and 1st team ALL-SEC- it has to mean something.

in 23 minutes a game he still averaged 3 blocks + he averaged 36.5% from 3 = exactly what we need
    consider

"During Vanderbilt?s 6-1 February run, he played like one of the best players not only in the conference but in the entire country as he averaged 22 points, 10.1 rebounds and 4.6 blocks. His best game came in a Feb. 11 road date in Gainesville in which he dropped 32 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks on Florida center Colin Castleton, a fellow All-SEC first team honoree.

consider

"During Vanderbilt?s 6-1 February run, he played like one of the best players not only in the conference but in the entire country as he averaged 22 points, 10.1 rebounds and 4.6 blocks. His best game came in a Feb. 11 road date in Gainesville in which he dropped 32 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks on Florida center Colin Castleton, a fellow All-SEC first team honoree.
    If you watch any of Vandy's games he played, he was a big deal to the announcers. Had some carry-the-team moments in the games I watched.

Has a nice touch on jumpers, but ask him to attempt a layup or floater and he might put a crack in the backboard.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Kamaka Hepa to dominate the summer league for the pels

I've been out of pocket all day and thought I'd come back to pages upon pages of Lillard speculation.....but nothing. Lol

I think we can easily out together a better package than Miami that doesn't include Zion and BI.....maybe even no Trey.

I've been out of pocket all day and thought I'd come back to pages upon pages of Lillard speculation.....but nothing. Lol

I think we can easily out together a better package than Miami that doesn't include Zion and BI.....maybe even no Trey.
    I think it is irrelevant as he wants to play in Miami.

He's under a 3 to 4 year contract and Miami can't really put a decent package together. He would have to start sitting out at 32 and start playing again at 36 to really threaten leverage in a trade. lf I were a betting man, I'd put New Orleans as his most likely destination when looking at trade packages a team could put together to land him. Jonas, CJ, Kira, Dyson and three to four 1st round picks. Maybe some fillers. People looking at what he's worth would balk at that package but if you look at it from what competitors can offer, there won't be much better.

CJ would be a great mentor/pairing for Scoots early years and Jonas is the perfect C for that same time period. The team would be relatively enjoyable to watch with Scoot, CJ, Simmons, Grant, and Jonas. They were extremely high on Dyson last year. And then the Lakers and Bucks picks plus ours to start building the future. It's a solid rebuild for them.

We'd have Dame, BI, Zion, Herb, Trey, maybe Nurkic, Jose, Nance.....that's a title contending team for years. Dame is the exact cold blooded killer Zion and BI need to follow.....I'd put it below 50% chance of happening but still higher odds than any other team.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 07-04-2023 at 10:56 AM.

He's under a 3 to 4 year contract and Miami can't really put a decent package together. He would have to start sitting out at 32 and start playing again at 36 to really threaten leverage in a trade. lf I were a betting man, I'd put New Orleans as his most likely destination when looking at trade packages a team could put together to land him. Jonas, CJ, Kira, Dyson and three to four 1st round picks. People looking at what he's worth would balk at that package but if you look at it from what competitors can offer, there won't be much better.

Id do it if we could trade CJ back to them lol..

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If you watch any of Vandy's games he played, he was a big deal to the announcers. Had some carry-the-team moments in the games I watched.

Has a nice touch on jumpers, but ask him to attempt a layup or floater and he might put a crack in the backboard.

Hmm, which brings me to Kira Lewis. Fast as hell, can shoot the three,.... and has no idea what he is gonna do when he blows by his man and gets to the goal

He's under a 3 to 4 year contract and Miami can't really put a decent package together. He would have to start sitting out at 32 and start playing again at 36 to really threaten leverage in a trade. lf I were a betting man, I'd put New Orleans as his most likely destination when looking at trade packages a team could put together to land him. Jonas, CJ, Kira, Dyson and three to four 1st round picks. Maybe some fillers. People looking at what he's worth would balk at that package but if you look at it from what competitors can offer, there won't be much better.

CJ would be a great mentor/pairing for Scoots early years and Jonas is the perfect C for that same time period. The team would be relatively enjoyable to watch with Scoot, CJ, Simmons, Grant, and Jonas. They were extremely high on Dyson last year. And then the Lakers and Bucks picks plus ours to start building the future. It's a solid rebuild for them.

We'd have Dame, BI, Zion, Herb, Trey, maybe Nurkic, Jose, Nance.....that's a title contending team for years. Dame is the exact cold blooded killer Zion and BI need to follow.....I'd put it below 50% chance of happening but still higher odds than any other team.
    Sounds good in theory. But we all know the stars get what they want. He could scare off other teams by being a malcontent. He does not seem like the type that would, but it is a possibility. If we could get him for CJ. JV, Kira, and 3-4 1sts, I would do it. However, not sure that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Sounds good in theory. But we all know the stars get what they want. He could scare off other teams by being a malcontent. He does not seem like the type that would, but it is a possibility. If we could get him for CJ. JV, Kira, and 3-4 1sts, I would do it. However, not sure that is possible.
    I think I would pass.....

There's not enough shots in an NBA game to maximize Dame, BI, 3M3, Him and, now, probably Hawkins (since according to some, all he can do is shoot).

Thread Information