.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 497

Thread: General Offseason News

  1. #351
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So by this time next week, JV, Jax, and Willy could all be gone. The only surviving bigs will be Larry and EJ.
    Perhaps, the plan is to play Zion at the 5.... Point-Center Zion.

  2. #352
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So by this time next week, JV could be gone. .
    Which means a fourth different opening day center in five years.

    ....and I won't even mention all the team assets (draft capital) that went into acquiring Derrick Favors, Steven Adams, and Jonas.

  3. #353
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Which means a fourth different opening day center in five years.

    ....and I won't even mention all the team assets (draft capital) that went into acquiring Derrick Favors, Steven Adams, and Jonas.
    Ah managerial ineptitude…

  4. #354
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    23,246
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So by this time next week, JV, Jax, and Willy could all be gone. The only surviving bigs will be Larry and EJ.

    Makes me really think they would have taken Lively at 14 if he would have been there.
    That's who I was hoping for. I think they would have taken him if available.

  5. #355
    Should we have a separate thread for free agency?

  6. #356
    Basketball.

  7. #357
    Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lake Charles
    Posts
    4,601
    I love those changes. Add an offensive foul or no call when the offensive player creates the contact on a shot and I'd be smitten.
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

    BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

  8. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I love those changes. Add an offensive foul or no call when the offensive player creates the contact on a shot and I'd be smitten.
    They already changed that. Now it just depends on which offensive player is making the contact.

    Like if it's Lebron, Harden, or Giannis on Herb, 100% foul on Herb.

  9. #359
    Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lake Charles
    Posts
    4,601
    Oh I'd go further though. Like if a defensive player jumps up for a shot and the offensive player clearly intentionally jumps into the defensive player....I'd make that a no call. I think that's currently still a defensive foul, right? Having six kids....the Summer makes your mind fried. Maybe I'm bugging.

    You're right about the star treatment. It feels last season was better (which led to more LeBron tears) but it could still improve.

  10. #360
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Oh I'd go further though. Like if a defensive player jumps up for a shot and the offensive player clearly intentionally jumps into the defensive player....I'd make that a no call. I think that's currently still a defensive foul, right? Having six kids....the Summer makes your mind fried. Maybe I'm bugging.

    You're right about the star treatment. It feels last season was better (which led to more LeBron tears) but it could still improve.
    That is currently supposed to be an offensive foul or no call now as of 2 seasons ago. But of course refs play favorites with it.


    https://www.si.com/nba/2021/06/22/nb...shooters-fouls


    -- When a shooter launches or leans into a defender at an abnormal angle.
    -- When a shooter kicks his leg (up or to the side) at an abnormal angle.
    -- When an offensive player abruptly veers off his path (sideways or backward) into a defender.

  11. #361
    Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lake Charles
    Posts
    4,601
    I want the 'abnormal angle' taken out. I want it where even if it's your most natural shot form and you just pump faked, if that defensive player jumps first and you jump up into them....no call. There's no reason for that to be a foul. The shooter can dribble around a player when they jump or wait to shoot when the defensive player is on the way down.

  12. #362
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,797
    The more i think about it the more convinced I am that we NEED to keep JV. We aren't getting a better center, we will only get worse at that position. The only other front court guys we have worth mentioning now are Nance (pretty good small ball center as a backup, not a starter) and Zion (often injured). And Liddell if you count a guy who is coming off serious injury and never played in the NBA. The issue about his fit is something that should be addressed by coaching adjustments not a roster adjustment.

  13. #363
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    6,688
    I like what JV brings offensively but he's almost worthless on defense. He's not a rim protector, his bad against PnR, and just a drill cone when it comes to moving his feet.

    If we keep him I guess I'd be OK with it (what other choice do I have?), but we need an anchor on the back-end.

  14. #364
    Basketball Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    4,140
    jonas get grown man rebounds and can score in the paint.....zion is the other player who can score in the paint and draw fouls.....without those 2, we are a jump shooting team...

    if we are going to replace jonas then i hope we get a player who can stand strong in the paint and grab rebounds without getting pushed around...

  15. #365
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I like what JV brings offensively but he's almost worthless on defense. He's not a rim protector, his bad against PnR, and just a drill cone when it comes to moving his feet.

    If we keep him I guess I'd be OK with it (what other choice do I have?), but we need an anchor on the back-end.
    JV is actually mid-tier on defense.

    It's true that he's not a true rim protector or a super switchy perimeter guy, but defensive rebounds are part of defense and he vacuums them up, and he's a huge body to have stood in the paint and that alone deters some shots - the rate of opponent rim attempts when he's NOT on the floor vs when he is, is a significant increase.

  16. #366


    FINALLY

  17. #367
    Basketball Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    4,140
    miami has made some moves so i guess the heat is his 1st choice..

  18. #368
    Nance, JV, Temple, kira, Daniels, all the first rounder for Dame. sign landale. pay the tax. win the championships. throw the parades. retire the jesreys. write the book. make the movie.

  19. #369
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Nance, JV, Temple, kira, Daniels, all the first rounder for Dame. sign landale. pay the tax. win the championships. throw the parades. retire the jesreys. write the book. make the movie.
    He's already said that Miami and Brooklyn are his preferred locations and honestly, let him go there. Get him out of the West.

    Also, why gut your team just to re-unite CJ and Lillard? Cause they would be (rightfully) demanding Trey as well. So you'd be losing all your picks, your entire bench, your starting center, and a future all-star wing just to put together a combination of guards that already spent a decade losing together.

  20. #370
    Note, btw, this isn't me saying the Pels shouldn't try to get Lillard. It's me saying that if you go for Lillard it should be a 3 teamer that seems CJ leaving New Orleans, and trying as hard as possible to retain Trey.

  21. #371
    Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lake Charles
    Posts
    4,601
    To be fair, CJ and Dame were pretty great together and would have been near unstoppable had those old teams had a healthy Zion and BI.

    Just playing devil's advocate. I don't want to completely gut the youth movement for Dame and doubt we could land him.

  22. #372
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    To be fair, CJ and Dame were pretty great together and would have been near unstoppable had those old teams had a healthy Zion and BI.

    Just playing devil's advocate. I don't want to completely gut the youth movement for Dame and doubt we could land him.
    This is true, that those teams obviously would've been better if they had multiple other all-stars on them, but it's also true that that guard tandem was ridiculously exploitable on defense and in the West they got routinely shredded by other guards - Steph being the primary one, for obvious Steph-related reasons.

  23. #373
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's already said that Miami and Brooklyn are his preferred locations and honestly, let him go there. Get him out of the West.

    Also, why gut your team just to re-unite CJ and Lillard? Cause they would be (rightfully) demanding Trey as well. So you'd be losing all your picks, your entire bench, your starting center, and a future all-star wing just to put together a combination of guards that already spent a decade losing together.
    i'm not even being remotely serious.

    dame doesn't want here, regardless of the pieces. still a mid offer from any team is better than the Miami offer. Herro and 2 picks is kind of weak.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 07-01-2023 at 12:25 PM.

  24. #374
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    i'm not even being remotely serious.

    dame doesn't want here, regardless of the pieces. still a mid offer from any team is better than the Miami offer. Herro and 2 picks is kind of weak.
    Oh, I figured you were kidding because of the whole ''write the book'' thing, but I have seem some people saying we need to lay it all on the line for Lillard so I thought I'd use your joke-proposal as a springboard for my thoughts.

  25. #375
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    JV is actually mid-tier on defense.

    It's true that he's not a true rim protector or a super switchy perimeter guy, but defensive rebounds are part of defense and he vacuums them up, and he's a huge body to have stood in the paint and that alone deters some shots - the rate of opponent rim attempts when he's NOT on the floor vs when he is, is a significant increase.
    Exactly! His impact on the boards was enormous. So frustrating to see teams regularly getting 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities when he was not on the floor. Rebounding is a critical part of preventing teams from scoring.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •