Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: General Offseason News

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'm hoping for a big Scoot trade also just for the excitement really.

I know there's a lot of connection between the Pels and Lively in recent mocks and stuff, and if the Pels really do want that archetype of big I would much rather they call up Washington and see if they can get Gafford while the fire sale is on.

Maybe see if CP3 is gettable while we're at it
    Basketball.

i like gafford

So now we have people comparing Boston trading Marcus Smart to trading Ingram? On what planet?

Boston trading Smart would be the loose equivalent of the Pelicans trading Herb. And that would be after Herb has spent 9 years in a Pels uniform with no titles to show for it. Pretty damn conservative if you ask me.

Now a real roster upheaval resetting shake up would be Boston trading Jaylen Brown. They have that decision to make. But are they? No. They are going to pay that man $40 mil.

*sigh*

Come on draft get here already.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So now we have people comparing Boston trading Marcus Smart to trading Ingram? On what planet?.
    No, we have people comparing Boston trading Smart - publicly touted by Boston as the heart and soul of their team as recently as 13 hours before he got traded - to those people who say we can't trade any given player for culture reasons.

Any other reasons can be debated, but the ''he's the heart of the team'' argument, which has been used about a number of players, is just a bunk one.

The player itself isn't the point being made, it's the ''he's the culture!'' argument and it's invalidity.

Actually, my sense is a major reason for wanting Scoot is for the culture change he could bring. Think Pels are a happy bunch overall, but I've heard from a couple of folks who know people in the organization that they've become concerned that the team and its stars don't have a 'championship' mindset, which I take to mean not enough mean, not gritty enough to grind through the playoffs and so on. They think Scoot embodies that kind of mindset...

Lillard 11 seasons in

''Huh, maybe this team really isn't going to win a championship''

Basketball Guru
    cp3 to golden state for jordan poole and ryan rollins

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    i like gafford
    washington has taken poole contract off of GS books so i hope we do go after gafford....ill be good with him and jonas..

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Lillard 11 seasons in

''Huh, maybe this team really isn't going to win a championship''
    Just something to consider… The Pelicans are an even less successful franchise than the Trailblazers.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Just something to consider… The Pelicans are an even less successful franchise than the Trailblazers.
    Yeah, which is why I am strongly against ''running it back''.

Portland ''ran it back'' with the same top guys for a decade and won absolutely nothing. We've won even less but some people act like going in for a legitimate re-tool is sacrilege.

Imagine what Portland might have done if they shipped CJ off 6 years ago and actually used that asset haul to build a real team around Lillard? Now he may well be out of the door after a decade of treading water.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    washington has taken poole contract off of GS books so i hope we do go after gafford....ill be good with him and jonas..
    Full details of trade:

Yeah, which is why I am strongly against ''running it back''.

Portland ''ran it back'' with the same top guys for a decade and won absolutely nothing. We've won even less but some people act like going in for a legitimate re-tool is sacrilege.

Imagine what Portland might have done if they shipped CJ off 6 years ago and actually used that asset haul to build a real team around Lillard? Now he may well be out of the door after a decade of treading water.
    You're really going to compare the success of a franchise that's been around 53 years with one that just finished season 21? To put that in perspective, Saints have been around for 57 years, one title, 14 playoff appearances, and won 9 division titles. Compare that to the Saints after their first 21 seasons: 0 titles, 0 playoff appearances, 0 division titles, ONE winning season.

So get back to me in another 30 years and we can compare the Blazers and the Pelicans' success.

Chris Paul to GS is weird. He plays the complete opposite style they like to play.

Poor Jordan Poole getting tossed before Draymond.

Last edited by luckyman; 06-22-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Chris Paul to GS is weird. He plays the complete opposite style they like to play.

Poor Jordan Poole getting tossed before Draymond.

Golden State is getting older and Draymond is gone. They'll slow down just enough to make it work. Will it win a ring?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I'm hoping for a big Scoot trade also just for the excitement really.
    This is supposed to be entertainment. I think I'm in the same spot. I can argue the basketball side of keeping the group together and the basketball side for making a trade. The entertainment value, at least in the offseason, is much higher if they make a trade!

Entertain me, NBA/Pelicans!!

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    We have to keep the vibe going.
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

Point 1) It doesn't matter, the fact is that teams which are winning are more willing to take risks regarding 'culture' than we are, and we're losers. This indicates that maybe the fan attachment to the culture we have isn't that valuable; our culture cannot compare to theirs and they are still willing to risk it because they want results.

2) A number of people. For example, portions of the fanbase told us we can't trade Hart because he's the heart of the team. Now we're being told we can't trade Ingram because he's the heart of the team. In the past people have said you can't move Jrue because he's the heart of the team. The point is that nobody is untouchable on culture grounds.
    Point number 1, it does matter. If a team makes a move and gets worse because of it, them making that move is not evidence that we should do something similar.

Point number 2, never happened, nobody said Hart was untouchable. Ingram is untouchable because he is that good, not just because of the culture. But culture is very important and the Pelicans were lucky to turn things around in that department. Ours is not so deeply ingrained that we can be careless about it.
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 06-22-2023 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post

Point number 2, never happened, nobody said Hart was untouchable.
    Yes they did. You may not have seen it, doesn't mean it never happened - on here, on twitter, on reddit, etc.

I think Golden State got much better and fixed their culture problem by replacing Poole with Paul. CP3 might get his ring after all.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I think Golden State got much better and fixed their culture problem by replacing Poole with Paul. CP3 might get his ring after all.
    They also had an excellent draft with guys who can probably play day 1.

Meanwhile, Utah had a great draft so their rebuild is going okay.

Mavs getting Holmes and adding a great fit in Lively fixes some of their issues with rim protection and rebounding.

West keeps getting tougher.

Thread Information