.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 497

Thread: General Offseason News

  1. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Clippers make out like bandits.

    pays to be opportunistic i guess.
    He's currently "optimistic he won't need offseason surgery" and has played more than 60 games three times in seven seasons. I like him but combined with PG (assuming he stays) and Kawhi and you're looking at a team that could be great but will need a ton to go right to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

    @Jabberwalker

  2. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    He's currently "optimistic he won't need offseason surgery" and has played more than 60 games three times in seven seasons. I like him but combined with PG (assuming he stays) and Kawhi and you're looking at a team that could be great but will need a ton to go right to do it.
    Well that guy definitely belongs in New Orleans, then.
    Good positive energy.

    But also, yo mama's fat.

  3. #228
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    He's currently "optimistic he won't need offseason surgery" and has played more than 60 games three times in seven seasons. I like him but combined with PG (assuming he stays) and Kawhi and you're looking at a team that could be great but will need a ton to go right to do it.
    They got off Morris and got a real player for pick 30 and coffey.

    The Nuggets had jamal murray and MPJ (probably the worst medical in the league this side of Lonzo) healthy for an entire playoff run. Sometimes you need a little luck. But you always need talent.

  4. #229


    Fairly unusual for talks to ''fall apart'' so late that it's already been reported
    Basketball.

  5. #230

  6. #231


    Boston/LAC/Wiz deal fell apart because Brogdon is Broken, according to LAC

  7. #232

  8. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I know this has been said a million times but it somehow keeps not influencing the discussion.

    Zion's contract is set up with a bunch of non-guaranteed money in it that relies on both him hitting weight/body fat %age numbers, and games played. If Zion is injured severely enough going forward (this is the first year of the new contract) to legitimately impact winning, his money owed drops precipitously to the point where, if it's truly apparent that he will never be healthy, he could even conceivably be just cut without that much salary drama.

    This is why it's not a serious roll of the dice. If you keep Zion, and he plays, you have an MVP talent. If you keep Zion and he never gets it together you can cut him for basically nothing. If you trade him while his value is low and then he plays, you just gave up an MVP level talent for crumbs. It's very little risk, very high reward to keep him.
    Totally disagree with you. Trading Zion now and getting the #2 or #3 pick in return is not a small thing to ignore. If Zion never gets it together and the Pels have to cut him, thus losing the opportunity to get something of this value back... well, then that is a large risk. You are conveniently ignoring to factor this in though, cause you want to keep Zion and think he will become serious about an NBA career, for some weird reason.

  9. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by LAL1947 View Post
    Totally disagree with you. Trading Zion now and getting the #2 or #3 pick in return is not a small thing to ignore. If Zion never gets it together and the Pels have to cut him, thus losing the opportunity to get something of this value back... well, then that is a large risk. You are conveniently ignoring to factor this in though, cause you want to keep Zion and think he will become serious about an NBA career, for some weird reason.
    It is somewhat of a risk, but it doesn't mean you're any worse off than you are now - in fact, you get a lot of salary cap back so you improve your position very slightly. You can argue that's not as good as getting #2 or #3, and that's fair, but acting like it's a loss isn't the case; it's just a smaller gain.

    Which is my point. It's not that keeping Zion is the perfect situation in all cases, it's that his contract is not, in itself, a negative to have on the books. Which is what the post I was replying to said.

  10. #235
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It is somewhat of a risk, but it doesn't mean you're any worse off than you are now - in fact, you get a lot of salary cap back so you improve your position very slightly. You can argue that's not as good as getting #2 or #3, and that's fair, but acting like it's a loss isn't the case; it's just a smaller gain.

    Which is my point. It's not that keeping Zion is the perfect situation in all cases, it's that his contract is not, in itself, a negative to have on the books. Which is what the post I was replying to said.
    Getting salary cap back only matters if you are able to sign someone good with it, right?

    Anyway, let's agree to disagree... I think that not getting the #2 or #3 pick is a loss (or even not trading Zion for other young talent), you don't. So there is probably nothing I can say to change that, or vice versa.

  11. #236


    Agreed with Shamit here. A large part of the reason the Grizz have been competitive without Ja in the last few years is that Tyus has been a really good backup for them who knows his role very well and plays it to a tee. If Ja's getting that big suspension and they're without Tyus to start the year, they could get off to a very rocky start.

    Obviously depends on what else is happening but wow.

  12. #237


    WOW.

    I like Smart a lot and he's very good but he's not the same kind of PG that Tyus is. Will be interesting to see how that works, and I am pretty surprised that the Celtics finally pulled that trigger.

  13. #238


    It is all happening

  14. #239
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post


    WOW.

    I like Smart a lot and he's very good but he's not the same kind of PG that Tyus is. Will be interesting to see how that works, and I am pretty surprised that the Celtics finally pulled that trigger.

  15. #240
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    hmmm seems like a lot for what imo is a downgrade and not the kind of player they needed. smart does have a better contract situation though.

    not sure what wiz wants with Tyus, but when he's free go for it.

  16. #241
    So memphis losing Dillon Brooks + Tyus Jones + 2023 1st round pick + Ja out 25 games + plus his usual missed games due to injury. And getting back Marcus Smart.

    Memphis has more wood to chop for sure.

    Tyus is on an expiring contract this year. Just sayin.

  17. #242

  18. #243
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    IF I SEE ONE MORE POST ABOUT KEEPING THE VIBES. Who cares about vibes for a mid team? Make your team better!
    CAW CAW!!!

    -Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

  19. #244
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    IF I SEE ONE MORE POST ABOUT KEEPING THE VIBES. Who cares about vibes for a mid team? Make your team better!
    That's what I'm saying!

  20. #245
    Without player movement, health improvement would be a start. However, injuries do happen. But conditioning is not only action but a mind state, and the negative coming out of New Orleans is all about the wrong mindsets. That might be chatter to be chatter. Hard to say. I would hope the chatter is not true and Zion is ready to commit to being in play shape. However, it seems we are starting every season with this hope. My son reminded me other stars in the league struggled early in their careers before they clicked. Tonight will reflect some responses. One thing is clear to me. The Pelicans are concerned. How much?

  21. #246
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    6,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    IF I SEE ONE MORE POST ABOUT KEEPING THE VIBES. Who cares about vibes for a mid team? Make your team better!
    Preach.

  22. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I know this has been said a million times but it somehow keeps not influencing the discussion.

    Zion's contract is set up with a bunch of non-guaranteed money in it that relies on both him hitting weight/body fat %age numbers, and games played. If Zion is injured severely enough going forward (this is the first year of the new contract) to legitimately impact winning, his money owed drops precipitously to the point where, if it's truly apparent that he will never be healthy, he could even conceivably be just cut without that much salary drama.

    This is why it's not a serious roll of the dice. If you keep Zion, and he plays, you have an MVP talent. If you keep Zion and he never gets it together you can cut him for basically nothing. If you trade him while his value is low and then he plays, you just gave up an MVP level talent for crumbs. It's very little risk, very high reward to keep him.
    He would basically have to have a career ending type injury for that to come into play though. He keeps playing 30ish games a season, you're going to keep fooling yourself into thinking it will get better and you're not going to out and out cut him. Especially when you consider that you could have turned him into Scoot. Human nature doesn't work like that.

  23. #248
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Dont understand what dude is going for with this tweet. First of all it remains to be seen how the Celtics respond to this trade, could work out but it is also possible their culture will suffer and they will look back on this trade as a mistake. Way too soon to view this as validation. Secondly, who is he trying to get rid of from our team that will disrupt the culture and in exchange for what?

  24. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Dont understand what dude is going for with this tweet. First of all it remains to be seen how the Celtics respond to this trade, could work out but it is also possible their culture will suffer and they will look back on this trade as a mistake. Way too soon to view this as validation. Secondly, who is he trying to get rid of from our team that will disrupt the culture and in exchange for what?
    Point 1) It doesn't matter, the fact is that teams which are winning are more willing to take risks regarding 'culture' than we are, and we're losers. This indicates that maybe the fan attachment to the culture we have isn't that valuable; our culture cannot compare to theirs and they are still willing to risk it because they want results.

    2) A number of people. For example, portions of the fanbase told us we can't trade Hart because he's the heart of the team. Now we're being told we can't trade Ingram because he's the heart of the team. In the past people have said you can't move Jrue because he's the heart of the team. The point is that nobody is untouchable on culture grounds.

  25. #250
    Although it probably won't..... I hope the trade goes down.
    Im not sure really why, except for the face that im sick of all the b.s. As a fan, I want the factors that contribute to winning to be decided and displayed on the court.

    Id feel good about this squad

    Scoot Henderson
    Anfrenee Simmons
    Brandon Ingram
    Herb Jones
    Trey Murphy
    ect

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •