.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 226

Thread: What kind of players does this team need to take it to the next level next season?

  1. #26
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,799
    It’s hard to know what we need because we don’t know what we have.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    It’s hard to know what we need because we don’t know what we have.
    Thought provoking, huh?

  3. #28
    Give me Bismack Biyombo and Jakob Poeltl in place of JV, Hayes, and Hernangomez .

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Give me Bismack Biyombo and Jakob Poeltl in place of JV, Hayes, and Hernangomez .
    Poeltl is a thing but Biyombo? In 2023? That just smacks of desperation.
    Basketball.

  5. #30
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    189
    PG: free agent 24 minutes
    SG: Murphy. 24 minutes
    SF: BI. 30 minutes
    PF: Zion. 30 minutes
    C: JV. 24 minutes

    Bench:
    SG: CJ. 24 minutes
    PG: Jose. 8 minutes
    SG: Richardson. 8 minutes
    SF: Naji. 8 minutes
    PF: Herb. 24 minutes
    PF: Larry. 8 minutes
    C: Free Agent (athletic and can alter shots). 16 minutes
    SG: Sharpshooter that can play 12 minutes and shoots .400 from 3
    PG/SG/SF: Dyson picks up minutes with injuries


    So basically you have FA point guard, Trey, JV, CJ, and Herb getting on average 6 minutes per quarter give or take. If need more, it eats into Jose, Richardson, Naji, and FA sharpshooter minutes (36 minutes per game)
    BI and Zion if healthy are 6-7 minutes per quarter give or take. They could also eat into that 36 minute set aside for your reserve PG, combo g/f of Richardson & Naji, and wild card of the FA sharpshooter
    JV gets 6 minutes per quarter with the FA athletic reserve C getting 4 minutes give or take and Larry gets 2 per quarter.

    I realize this is not a youth basketball team nor a video game we're talking about...this is just a general layout of what I hope to see.

    Basically, your core is FA pg, Murphy, BI, Zion, CJ, and Herb with JV seeing half the C minutes but the FA athletic C and Larry getting the other half. Of course opponent and game circumstances may vary playing time.

    Let's find the money and the players: starting pg, back up C, and sharpshooter!

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Poeltl is a thing but Biyombo? In 2023? That just smacks of desperation.
    Still plays better defense than any center on the Pels.

  7. #32
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    America
    Posts
    695
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/point-guard/

    List of point guard free agents

    Not seeing anybody they could- would be 2 expensive

    Or just not good enough

    Most likely will happen by trade

    In the draft if they stay at 12 maybe take gradey dick

  8. #33
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    73
    Pay Jaylen brown 100 million and cut ties with a few players not named BI

  9. #34
    ???? / Nance / Hernangomez
    Zion / TM3 / Liddell
    BI / TM3 / Naji
    Herb / CJ
    Kira / Jose

    JV, Dyson, '23 1st as the basis for a deal to find a defensive minded C.

    Kira was nothing special today but there were a few games this year he had serious impact and I'd love to let him loose next year and see what he's capable of.

  10. #35
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    ???? / Nance / Hernangomez
    Zion / TM3 / Liddell
    BI / TM3 / Naji
    Herb / CJ
    Kira / Jose

    JV, Dyson, '23 1st as the basis for a deal to find a defensive minded C.

    Kira was nothing special today but there were a few games this year he had serious impact and I'd love to let him loose next year and see what he's capable of.
    Is this a tanking blueprint? Start Kira and get rid of JV brilliant

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Is this a tanking blueprint? Start Kira and get rid of JV brilliant
    If the result is a big that fits and can close games then it would be a great way to go. Did you watch any games Kira played in this year? He had some really promising moments and still looks faster than almost everyone else on the floor.

  12. #37
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    If the result is a big that fits and can close games then it would be a great way to go. Did you watch any games Kira played in this year? He had some really promising moments and still looks faster than almost everyone else on the floor.
    Kira looks faster than everyone I agree with that. He doesnt look like a scorer though. Doesnt look good at orchestrating the offense either. Certainly he has not shown anything to merit taking him from the end of the bench DNP to starting point guard. JV on the other hand has shown a lot of value and production for the team.

  13. #38
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,799
    I’m not convinced we need much of anything other than guys to stay healthy. Hoping to see Dyson take a couple steps forward offensively next year, he has a good feel for the game and is a plus defender, just needs to be more confident in his scoring. I like the offense best when it’s orchestrated by BI and Zion so I don’t see the need for a traditional point guard. Would be interesting to see a 3 wing lineup such as BI-TM3-Herb-Zion-JV. The length would be a killer on defense, and seems like it would be balanced offensively as well as long as we can get the ball up the court. Would be open to replacing Herb with Dyson but it’s going to be hard to put Herb on the bench, just like it’s hard to put TM3 there now. I favor CJ coming off the bench because it will give him more room to take ownership of the offense when he is on the floor without coming at the expense of other guys.
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 04-13-2023 at 01:46 AM.

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Kira looks faster than everyone I agree with that. He doesnt look like a scorer though. Doesnt look good at orchestrating the offense either. Certainly he has not shown anything to merit taking him from the end of the bench DNP to starting point guard. JV on the other hand has shown a lot of value and production for the team.
    You assessed this from his 5 minutes tonight? Or when?

    Because he has not gotten any chance to prove anything this year.

  15. #40
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,799
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    You assessed this from his 5 minutes tonight? Or when?

    Because he has not gotten any chance to prove anything this year.
    Look at the last game he played before he got DNP?d.

  16. #41
    This team needs players who wants to be here that's first and foremost. That's why I love and respect Bi, his loyalty can't be questioned. We have a good core group we just need a solid PG. PG, Trey, Herb,Bi, and JV.

  17. #42
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    23,254
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    You assessed this from his 5 minutes tonight? Or when?

    Because he has not gotten any chance to prove anything this year.
    Cannot believe Willie picked a play-in game to play him after not playing him in the regular season. Terrible coaching.

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    ???? / Nance / Hernangomez
    Zion / TM3 / Liddell
    BI / TM3 / Naji
    Herb / CJ
    Kira / Jose

    JV, Dyson, '23 1st as the basis for a deal to find a defensive minded C.

    Kira was nothing special today but there were a few games this year he had serious impact and I'd love to let him loose next year and see what he's capable of.
    I can't believe after what we've seen this year there are still people who want to bench Trey. Especially in order to start Kira. Incredible.

  19. #44
    Lol I'm old enough to remember when the roster was perfect and the vibes were immaculate and no move should ever be made to improve the roster according to this board

  20. #45
    20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,573
    We finally get a center worth a damn and the coach doesn't use him...even when it's blatantly obvious that he is dominating.

    We finally get a guard who can shoot (off ball) and the coach doesn't put him in check for taking idiotic hero ball shots instead of passing (or playing zero defense).

    The first game of the season we looked AMAZING. Brooklyn got absolutely dominated by our ball movement. But Willie doesn't take that example and use it. He just ignores it.

    It wasn't just Zion being out. It wasn't Ingram missing time.

    It's just a complete lack of offensive and defensive identity. When we had that fluid ball movement in that first game I thought that was going to be our identity, but I was wrong.

    CJ has to be an off ball SG coming off of screens. He is not a point guard. He doesn't have the unselfish mentality that you must have to be successful.

    CJ is a ball stopper, plain and simple.

    Better days:
    Last edited by ragincaucasian; 04-13-2023 at 10:36 AM.

  21. #46
    20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Lol I'm old enough to remember when the roster was perfect and the vibes were immaculate and no move should ever be made to improve the roster according to this board
    The problem with being a "players coach" is: familiarity breeds contempt.

    It's cool at first, but if you dont know WTF you are doing, well...

  22. #47
    Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2,096
    Organization is a scam and a lot keep buying. They blatantly struggle with basic things like telling the fans that the star player is out for the year with a pulled hamstring with more than half the season left. I don’t care what anyone says. That locker room had problems this year. Players are tired of dealing with the constant BS. Some of the players wanted to win badly while others coasted. Willie. They didn’t enjoy this season nearly as much as last one and that’s just sad. I hope the culture becomes what it needs to. It still has a long ways to go. Winning requires a complete dedication. This team just doesn’t have it.

  23. #48
    Am I being absolutely insane for thinking that a healthy EJ Liddell completely changes the outcome of this season?

    I know it's such a long shot and I'm being weird but I can't get it out of my head that if he plays, we win games we ended up losing. Not a huge number but like, 3 or 4 of them. And that's the difference between this, and a real playoff seed.

  24. #49
    20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Am I being absolutely insane for thinking that a healthy EJ Liddell completely changes the outcome of this season?

    I know it's such a long shot and I'm being weird but I can't get it out of my head that if he plays, we win games we ended up losing. Not a huge number but like, 3 or 4 of them. And that's the difference between this, and a real playoff seed.
    Willie probably would have buried him on the bench. Honestly.

  25. #50
    Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2,096
    Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Willie probably would have buried him on the bench. Honestly.
    Isn’t it really discouraging to think that the guy may be coaching them next year?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •