Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exit Interviews - 2022-23 Season

Pelicans Exit Interviews - 2022-23 Season

Thread for exit interview content:

I'll be updating the thread with quotes for people who can't catch it, and if there's enough of interest left unquoted I'll do a transcript at some point.
    Basketball.

Not strictly the exit stream, but still relevant.

Trey

Next step is really just working on my game. This year was very informative on what I need to work on for next year. [...] definitely strength, that's one thing. Ballhandling once again, shooting off the move, just wanting to expand my game a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Then I hope he goes the Haslem route and takes a league minimum deal.

Well, at least he knows

Griff says that fans have the right to be angry and ''p*ssed off'' and that he's glad this happened because if we had made the playoffs and win a few games we might have fooled ourselves into thinking we were ready, and we're clearly not.

Asked about injuries going on over years, he says that ''a lot of it is luck'' but that ''what happened this year'' was that ''when you miss that many guys for as long as we did, we ran the wheels off the bench guys''. Says it's no accident our core bench guys like Jose and Nance ended the year injured.

''What I don't want is for the narrative about our team to be that we have to fix the medical situation - we've got a lot of things to fix.''

Says that our margin for error was too small and it allowed medical issues to take over.

Griff says that Zion was ''never cleared to play basketball'' and that the idea of him ''choosing'' not to play was ''nonsense''. He was not physically injured but was not cleared to ''even play 3 on 3 full court, that's not where he was''.

Addressing the changes in the CBA and Zion's new cap hit as his contract starts, Griff says it's a learning process because the new CBA presents different issues compared to the old one. ''With all of the media accounts that are out there, you're led to believe the CBA might actually help teams that are in our position [...] and I hope that's true, once we can dive into it.''

Griff says he wants everyone to take a weekend off because ''when you have disappointment over every conversation'' you make worse decisions, and are slower to take responsibility.

Griff claims he thinks Willie ''navigated an incredibly difficult situation very very well'' and cites the players appreciating his calm in the chaos. Says he didn't realise how much he appreciated Willie Green's work until the season ended and he looked at the holistic picture of the injuries that Green had to deal with - mentions that because of the injuries, most of our practices were also hampered so the team didn't get as far with that as intended.

Says nobody is satisfied and we didn't win games we should have, but the fact that we still won more games this year than last is a testament to Willie Green's work. [note: I disagree with that]

Griff says that it's on his responsibility to improve our analytics department, which ''has got a lot to do'' before it reaches where he wants it to be. Says it's not why things didn't go right with the roster, but there's a lot of room to improve that aspect of our team.

Says that what we do there is ''going to change radically'' and that he wants to ''be in the forefront of that, and right now I would tell you that we haven't been.''

No BI or Zion, it seems?

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Green was terrible. The fact that Griff can?t see that is a testament to the teams failure. Then again, I know he isn?t going to say that. It?s just annoying to constantly hear sugarcoating.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I would expect him to say something like that about Green publicly. We'll never know if he does more behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Green was terrible. The fact that Griff can?t see that is a testament to the teams failure. Then again, I know he isn?t going to say that. It?s just annoying to constantly hear sugarcoating.
    He was asked about it, and he's not exactly going to stand there and say he thinks Green sucked, is he?

I've been harsh on Griff lately but I actually think today was relatively decent. I appreciate him saying that he gets why fans would be p****d off and disappointed, that they have a lot of work to do, and there needs to be change in all parts of the organisation. Would've been very easy for him to just blame injuries and say that outside of that we're fine.

Willie Green will not make this team a championship contender. He does not have the coaching accumen to make the necessary adjustments. Willie will get another season to be a ?players coach? with this roster. We will be slightly better but fall to a more veteran team in the playoffs. If Griff is smart, Green will then get fired and replaced by a Nick Nurse or Kenny Atkinson seaosoned veteran coach who is not past their prime like van gundy is/was.

This was the most candid David Griffin press conference I have ever watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    This was the most candid David Griffin press conference I have ever watched.
    I agree, the first 5 minutes especially was about as straightforward as we've seen him. Some of the salesman leaked in towards the end.

Apparently Green said some good stuff off camera that has created some optimism here

I thought a clear takeaway was that analytic analysis was not making its way on to the court or into the line ups, but that Green wasn?t to blame for this because of his limited options due to injuries.

I hope this means Griff will finally get serious about getting some professional shooters on the bench?three years too late.

No one asked about lack of rim protection.

No one asked about Jax or Kira.

?Griff, you mentioned how limited the roster was this year due to injuries, and yet two healthy lottery picks in Hayes and Lewis were glued to the end of the bench for most of the season. Did you agree with the decision not to play them and why is it they couldn?t find the court even after injuries to Jose and Larry??

Thread Information