Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: December 4th - New Orleans Pelicans vs denver Nuggets - 14-8

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    When the team is fully healthy, we will have quality players not playing. Do we make a trade? I wouldn't.
    There are still a few matchup dependent areas of need on this team, imo. Not necessary to make a trade, but need to be open to one if the opportunity becomes available. One obvious area of weakness is rim protection off the bench; however, I have always been of the opinion that I don't want a guy who demands minutes in that role. Give me someone who only needs to play depending on matchup. For that reason I'm a fan of a move for Noel at some point because he can rack up DNPs and it's not really an issue. If you cant get a fringe guy like Noel, I'd rather just run with Larry as your backup C and force teams to matchup to you with clever use of Zion offensively

The other area where I think we could potentially improve is Herb's back up. Unless they really trust Naji in a playoff series, I wonder what happens to the defense against Luka, Paul George, or Lebron if Herb were to get hurt or if he's in foul trouble. I don't think Dyson has the strength yet to take on those matchups for an extended amount of time. Maybe Trey continues to make a leap defensively, but Willie clearly doesnt trust him yet in that position. That's why I like the idea of moving on a guy like Pat Williams if he becomes available because he gives you that area of need in the short term, while also possessing some long term potential of growth.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Cannot imagine they would be willing to give up on him yet.
    Agreed, but it is getting weird in Chicago, and he was recently demoted to a bench role for a game. Nothing would surprise me with Chicago

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    There are still a few matchup dependent areas of need on this team, imo. Not necessary to make a trade, but need to be open to one if the opportunity becomes available. One obvious area of weakness is rim protection off the bench; however, I have always been of the opinion that I don't want a guy who demands minutes in that role. Give me someone who only needs to play depending on matchup. For that reason I'm a fan of a move for Noel at some point because he can rack up DNPs and it's not really an issue. If you cant get a fringe guy like Noel, I'd rather just run with Larry as your backup C and force teams to matchup to you with clever use of Zion offensively

The other area where I think we could potentially improve is Herb's back up. Unless they really trust Naji in a playoff series, I wonder what happens to the defense against Luka, Paul George, or Lebron if Herb were to get hurt or if he's in foul trouble. I don't think Dyson has the strength yet to take on those matchups for an extended amount of time. Maybe Trey continues to make a leap defensively, but Willie clearly doesnt trust him yet in that position. That's why I like the idea of moving on a guy like Pat Williams if he becomes available because he gives you that area of need in the short term, while also possessing some long term potential of growth.
    You might be right about Dyson in the short term. But I think Dyson will be big enough to guard larger scorers pretty soon. Dyson is 19 years old with a 6'7" frame. Herb is the same height, but he's 24 years old so he's had more time to pack on the muscle. Trey could be a candidate but he fouls too much. But maybe he gets better at that. Either way, I'm gonna let those dudes develop before I go out and get a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    You might be right about Dyson in the short term. But I think Dyson will be big enough to guard larger scorers pretty soon. Dyson is 19 years old with a 6'7" frame. Herb is the same height, but he's 24 years old so he's had more time to pack on the muscle. Trey could be a candidate but he fouls too much. But maybe he gets better at that. Either way, I'm gonna let those dudes develop before I go out and get a guy.
    Oh totally agree about Dyson. I was speaking strictly in terms of positional needs for this years playoff push because I think we have a team that can compete. My point is basically, if we are going to push some chips in, I want a guy who still has untapped potential over a guy like Bojan who may provide a little more now. I wouldn't be mad at a Bojan move, but I'd rather go after someone like Pat Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    If you say its not you, I believe you. You just gotta admit that is a WILD coincidence

Either way, whoever the other one is, please just change it to your real name. I get 5 texts a week asking if I said this or that. It was funny at first, annoying now. And 13-3, just give me back the @mcnamara247 one please.

Again, asking nice. Expecting nothing to come of it, but curious to see if anyone just gives it up.
    Good to see you post again MM, even if it was to call out some imposter accounts. The only reason I check this board is to if you posted again (and probably many others). You still in Pelicans commenting retirement, or can we find your opinions somewhere else?

We still have a lot to grow but this 2 place in the West is just amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    We still have a lot to grow but this 2 place in the West is just amazing
    Our 'big 3' has only played 10 games so together out of 23.

Ingram has missed 8 games. We've literally got a 21/5/5 guy who's shooting 59%TS sat on the bench waiting to come back. Team's ceiling is high.
    Basketball.

Thread Information