Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: November 7th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Indiana Pacers - 5-4

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Mac, who can the Pels get to help the starters on defense? They blew both of these last two games.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    They keep giving up 40 point quarters you'd think they would soon.

But most likely it'll be December or 2023. It's just still early as hell right now. These games will seem like ancient history in a couple months.

Wouldn't be shocked if they sent him to Birmingham before that.
    Tonight's game is ALREADY ancient history to me !! I think we are in a position where DD couldn't possibly hurt us too much here...and so I see no reason to send him to B'ham. Same thing as Herb last year...let him learn the ropes against the big boys. Other than getting embarrassed a few times...I just don't see the downside to letting the guy learn to play D at this level...and if he feels froggy & wants to try & bust some moves offensively, it's no big deal. If he's more comfortable staying in the shadows offensively, that's fine as we have plenty of offense without him contributing a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Mac, who can the Pels get to help the starters on defense? They blew both of these last two games.
    There is this dude Dyson Daniels that can help
    @mcnamara247

Atleast Willie was upset and held them accountable postgame. He said they didn’t start playing hard until a quarter and a half left.
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 11-07-2022 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    No way. I need 23 Devante Graham minutes a night.

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Atleast Willie was upset and held them accountable postgame. He said they didn’t start playing hard until a quarter and a half left.
    Did he mention that his rotations are pathetic by any chance?

Excited to hear the excuses after this one, including the reasoning for why this team is actually much better than their record.

I am going to guess optimists lead with a "fluky shooting night" and follow with "rust" on some main guys. A little "Nance got hurt" sprinkled in. Am I missing any?
    If Indiana is playing 0.500 ball, I guess they're less likely to bail the Lakers out with R.Westbrick

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Did he mention that his rotations are pathetic by any chance?
    No, but they sure were.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    Tonight's game is ALREADY ancient history to me !! I think we are in a position where DD couldn't possibly hurt us too much here...and so I see no reason to send him to B'ham. Same thing as Herb last year...let him learn the ropes against the big boys. Other than getting embarrassed a few times...I just don't see the downside to letting the guy learn to play D at this level...and if he feels froggy & wants to try & bust some moves offensively, it's no big deal. If he's more comfortable staying in the shadows offensively, that's fine as we have plenty of offense without him contributing a thing.
    You play Daniels, and even Jose more minutes, as an example to others that defense is going to earn you minutes. Play defense or sit down.

In the short minutes that Dyson played against atlanta, he did a great job defending murray on that one play where he fought hard on a screen and basically got back to murray and stopped what ever they were trying to exploit which helped Jonas as well...we need more of that!

We are so bad defensively that we are on scramble mode everytime the opponent swings the ball or sets screens.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Moment I saw Graham take that charge I knew Daniels wouldn’t play. Bare minimum is all it takes to play pathetic vets with no ceiling over rookies with potential

But may I remind you all, we were only 1-9 at this point last season, so this is way better! Be happy!!!

Another bad start off the game and another disappointing los. We have recently lost 3 won games and instead of going 8-2 we are 5-5. Everything will come with time, I know, but it is a pity that the opportunity for a very good start to the season was missed.

Okay, I'll admit. The more I watch, the more I realize I have no idea what I'm looking at. How much of our struggles are correctable, and how many can only be fixed by personnel changes? I have a very difficult time believing the team we have put together CAN'T work together and reach their potential. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Okay, I'll admit. The more I watch, the more I realize I have no idea what I'm looking at. How much of our struggles are correctable, and how many can only be fixed by personnel changes? I have a very difficult time believing the team we have put together CAN'T work together and reach their potential. Tell me why I'm wrong.
    You gotta be more specific. What does CAN work together mean? And what do you view as their “potential”

I think the team, as constructed, with a coach pushing all the right buttons and average health is about a 48 win team. Maybe you think it should be more than that, to which I would have to tell you why it isn’t. And it’s simple - strength overlap and weakness multipliers

When you assemble this much strength overlap (one on one scoring, multiple dribble scoring, isolation scoring) then you don’t get the full power of that strength as you would if all those players were on separate teams. Also, when you have multiple guys on the court with the same weakness (iso defense, poor lateral movement, lack of height, lack of volume 3pt shooters and/or off dribble 3pt shooters) then those weaknesses can’t be hidden as easily and they multiple

So, you are left with a team that will be less than the sum of their individual parts. The long term solution is: A different center, CJ as a 6th man, and internal growth. One day, it will be BI, Zion, Daniels, Murphy, and the Lakers pick guy plus a better fitting center. That will work much better. For now, they will be less than the sum of their parts

Which is why I have said from the beginning this year is more about playing the young dudes as much as possible and the Lakers pick than it is maximizing wins
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 11-08-2022 at 09:54 AM.

At least the playing the young guys as much as possible bit is on point

And this Dyson 0 minute game comes after you posted that there was pressure on Willie to play him, coming from the brass

Makes no sense
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-08-2022 at 10:16 AM.

I think we start seeing more Dyson once we get back home. FO is gonna be right on top of Willie during that homestand

Feels like we have completely lost all of the team momentum since BI got that concussion. I mean we were rolling and the offense moved so efficiently. It felt like everyone knew their role and rotations were pretty clear.

Since the injuries, it seems like Willie just doesn't know who to play when. I get that when BI and Zion were hurt, but I don't think he has adjusted back to what the original plan was supposed to be.. which was working.

Again, I disagree. I think that if we were to go back and watch those early games, we were let that good. The other team was just bad. That Nets team was a dumpster fire, for instance.

THIS is the more accurate version of the team while THAT was the outlier

It didn't matter who they played last night. They got outschemed and outcoached.

Dyson Daniels can't guard Myles Turner, yet he would have gotten switched on to him repeatedly, and blew up the whole defense.

Until the gameplan gets better, or the team's bigs magically get better awareness on defense, rotations won't fix a thing.

Again, the point of playing Daniels is not to win more games in 2022. It’s to be better in 2025.Graham and Naji will be distant memories then. No reason not to play Dyson now for then

The topic switched to whether better rotations or playing Dyson would improve the defense. Last night in particular. That answer is no. Everybody sucks when the scheme is bad.

If you want to talk about whether he should be getting minutes now for his development, thats another topic for another thread.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think there is an argument that playing Dyson can help win games in 2022. What Graham gives you, when he is at his best, is a moderate boost on offense. But we dont have a problem scoring points, what we need help with is perimeter defense, hustle plays for rebounds and loose balls, etc.

I guarantee DD won't see any minutes today, either

Thin ice Willie, thin ice
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-08-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Thread Information