Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: November 5th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Atlanta Hawks - 5-3

Its going to be interesting to see how much longer Jonas is on this team. Its so obvious that he gets in everyones way and they like to switch on D and he cant do that. But they love his grit and his leadership by example. But the fit aint right. I would put the over/under on trade deadline 2024, and I dont know which way I would bet
    @mcnamara247

Can someone enlighten me how Willie thinks that putting in Graham late in games is a good idea?

Geez January can't come soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The best thing I saw from Zion tonight was that turnaround mid-range shot from the paint. Everything else just reminds me that he hasn't (or refuses to) make improvements to his game. He's scoring a decent amount of points but I'm still not sure if that alone makes our team better overall.
    A watershed moment it was

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The best thing I saw from Zion tonight was that turnaround mid-range shot from the paint. Everything else just reminds me that he hasn't (or refuses to) make improvements to his game. He's scoring a decent amount of points but I'm still not sure if that alone makes our team better overall.
    Not only that, he nailed that turnaround J at crunch time.

Too bad they didn't go back to him again to close the game. Almost like deja vu.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Not only that, he nailed that turnaround J at crunch time.

Too bad they didn't go back to him again to close the game. Almost like deja vu.
    That's because their coach took him out and put in DG of all bloody players.

Can we get Playoff Willie back. This Internet Explorer Willie is ******. This ain't some home cooking class where you try to experiment with weird stuff for the sake of it

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Can we get Playoff Willie back. This Internet Explorer Willie is ******. This ain't some home cooking class where you try to experiment with weird stuff for the sake of it
    He is the same guy. Has never been a good coach. Is a good leader, but that rah rah stuff doesnt work 82x a year

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    That's because their coach took him out and put in DG of all bloody players.
    Zion gave some odd comments after the game.

So he says he took himself out at the end last night because his "body didn't feel right."

Then for tonight's game he apparently had cramps, and took himself out again.

So apparently, this was not Willy's doing. And it's just strange comments from Zion. I don't know any competitive player that removes themselves from competition like that.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Zion gave some odd comments after the game.

So he says he took himself out at the end last night because his "body didn't feel right."

Then for tonight's game he apparently had cramps, and took himself out again.

So apparently, this was not Willy's doing. And it's just strange comments from Zion. I don't know any competitive player that removes themselves from competition like that.
    Odd that he could not play through cramps? Not unusual if that was the case. Not easy to move when cramping.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Odd that he could not play through cramps? Not unusual if that was the case. Not easy to move when cramping.
    At any point in that game, did you see him have trouble moving?

In a tight game like that, you won't see anybody remove themselves until they have to rub it out and cany barely move on the court.

So yes, it's odd for a player to take themselves out that easily. And that's not even mentioning last night when he "didnt feel right."

REFS U SUKK

Even after an entire night of BS calls for Trae, all it would have taken is one legitimate call for BI on the last shot for us to have 2 free throws with zero time left and probably win. BI is not Zion, so the BS excuse that Zion is too big to get fair refereeing shouldn't apply. BI is a legit all-star who was arm-barred halfway across the court in the act of shooting. Most of Jose's fouls consisted of his vertical chest bumping against Trae's off arm or lowered shoulder. Yeah, I agree we could have made more free throws earlier or made a few more layups during the game. I just hate that the permanent fixtures on this board pretend like the officiating is fair and accurate and consider themselves above commenting on it even when it costs us games....

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    REFS U SUKK

Even after an entire night of BS calls for Trae, all it would have taken is one legitimate call for BI on the last shot for us to have 2 free throws with zero time left and probably win. BI is not Zion, so the BS excuse that Zion is too big to get fair refereeing shouldn't apply. BI is a legit all-star who was arm-barred halfway across the court in the act of shooting. Most of Jose's fouls consisted of his vertical chest bumping against Trae's off arm or lowered shoulder. Yeah, I agree we could have made more free throws earlier or made a few more layups during the game. I just hate that the permanent fixtures on this board pretend like the officiating is fair and accurate and consider themselves above commenting on it even when it costs us games....
    An engineer enjoys the gifts of reason and logic. Keep speaking, NOE, I'm listening and agreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    REFS U SUKK

Literally nobody, ever, said that referring was accurate. Ever. They make tons of mistakes a game.

But children and fools believe in conspiracy theories. Something like "the refs are hating on New Orleans on purpose"

Refs mess up dozens of times a game. Every game. You can do two things: Whine about it and hope they change their tendencies OR recognize their tendencies and lean into that.

A baby does the former, a smart man does the latter

I Love this team heart but this is another game that we should won… We are close but not there yet.

I actually think these first 9 show we are further away

As I always say, the first 43 minutes mean almost nothing big picture. The last 5 mins are like the playoffs. We are 0-3 in OT. Yeah, won a close Dallas game but were way ahead and almost blew that one

They will be the team this board wants them to be when they have a clear #1 closer who creates for himself and others down the stretch. Right now they have 3 guys who can do that at a B or B- level. That team will get beat in 7 game series by teams who have one guy who does that at an A level

Quality beats quantity in the NBA when it really matters

HE HAS THE BEST FREE THROW PERCENTAGE ON TEAM

Defensive concerns are always around JV. But looking at the advance stats it's the OFFENCE that's suffering with JV on the floor, not DEFENSE! How's that?!?!? He's a premier offensive rebounder and screen setter with a reasonable stretch ability and a premium post bully. Yesterday, he has 19 screen-assist point and yet, had by far the lowest offensive rating in the starting 5. JV has never been an offensive liability in the past. I hope that this is just a matter of working things out among the starting 5.

And I am not trying to be a pessimist…my whole point is that they ain’t ready this year for the big stage. But that’s why you gotta give Trey and Dyson max minutes and opportunities. Those two plus the Lakers pick (s) are our chance to be the 2004 Pistons. Don’t have a top 5 player in the league but have an insane 5 and a good bench. Naji and Graham should sit at the end of the bench until injuries pop up. Max minutes for the guys who will be here in 2024-2030

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karas View Post
    Defensive concerns are always around JV. But looking at the advance stats it's the OFFENCE that's suffering with JV on the floor, not DEFENSE! How's that?!?!? He's a premier offensive rebounder and screen setter with a reasonable stretch ability and a premium post bully. Yesterday, he has 19 screen-assist point and yet, had by far the lowest offensive rating in the starting 5. JV has never been an offensive liability in the past. I hope that this is just a matter of working things out among the starting 5.
    They don?t feature him nearly enough on offense. JV can get buckets. Also he is far and away our best rebounder. The main problem with him is he can?t switch on screens so they just need to scheme around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Karas View Post
    It’s not that he is a liability as much as he just gets in the way. There was a play in the 4th where BI was driving and literally ran into JV and had to back the ball out. We settled for an off dribble contested 3 and missed

JV is great if you have less talent around him. He can post up and clean up misses. The more talent around him, the less valuable he is.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Could sure use a Jalen Duren right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Could sure use a Jalen Duren right now.
    Same issue. Derek Lively is the guy IMO

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Don’t think Duren has it in him to learn spacing? I’d rather have Duren than Hayes. But that isn’t saying much. I’d rather have Alexis Ajinca than Hayes.

Daniels-BI-Trey-Zion-Lively would be so nasty and fit together so well. If not Wemby or Scoot, that’s the dude I am targeting

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Literally nobody, ever, said that referring was accurate. Ever. They make tons of mistakes a game.

But children and fools believe in conspiracy theories. Something like "the refs are hating on New Orleans on purpose"

Refs mess up dozens of times a game. Every game. You can do two things: Whine about it and hope they change their tendencies OR recognize their tendencies and lean into that.

A baby does the former, a smart man does the latter
    It's not so much that they are against NOLA, but as always, give preferential treatment to those they consider the stars. Young got the benefit of some very touchy and some non-existent fouls last night. The Pels do not have the "star" that gets those calls routinely. It is how the NBA is and it is frustrating. There is never any consistency in the way games are called.

Thread Information